• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition for EU/NA [failure level well beyond critical mass]

I played the demo without knowing anything about the game, and I have to say I find it incredibly charming. It's a shame I was never into RPGs, because this seems like a nice game to play and relax to, but I know I'd be overwhelmed by the mechanics that most RPG players are well-versed in. It's almost as if I wish someone could teach me how to play this game, haha.

For reference, the only RPG game I've really played was Pokemon Red back when it was first released, so I've obviously missed out on a lot. I didn't even know what "MP" even stood for in the demo for this game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I sure hope this fiasco doesn't deter Namco Bandai from doing awesome stuff like this in the future, though. That would make me very very sad :(

What I don't understand is why they made such a mess of it in the US. Here in Europe it has been super smooth and easy to get a WE. As long as you pre-ordered it in time you're good, and even here in tiny, insignificant Sweden there have been a whole bunch of retailers to do that from. I calmy placed my pre-order back in September (that retailer sold out of them a few days ago), and I'm expecting no trouble getting it on Friday.

Ok, our WE isn't quite as good as the US one, but the most important stuff is there.

What I don't understand is why they made such a mess of it in the US. Here in Europe it has been super smooth and easy to get a WE. As long as you pre-ordered it in time you're good, and even here in tiny, insignificant Sweden there have been a whole bunch of retailers to do that from. I calmy placed my pre-order back in September (that retailer sold out of them a few days ago), and I'm expecting no trouble getting it on Friday.

Ok, our WE isn't quite as good as the US one, but the most important stuff is there.

Have you not been reading this thread? :)

Just a question about the German version. Is it the UK/PAL edition with just a slip cover for Germany or is it an all German box and cover art? ASking if anyone has bought German PS3 games before.

Since the UK WE in the EG unboxing video has a slipcover, my bet is that all the WE boxes across Europe have localized slipcovers, but are the same underneath. However, the actual game case will most likely be in German.

i think the fact that there is such a large demand means people care about the LEs so they know they should make more in the future. they just need to decide if they wanna continue with Digital River or not.

or Level-5 should just go with Atlus. Namco has been unresponsive since the game's release. has anyone been contacted by namco about their guide? none. it'll take them days again to respond.

madhtr

or Level-5 should just go with Atlus. Namco has been unresponsive since the game's release. has anyone been contacted by namco about their guide? none. it'll take them days again to respond.

They did a fine job with the regular edition, but it sold much faster than expected. What needs to happen is Digital River needs to never be used again. Being upset at the publisher that actually gave us a chance to play the game is silly and pointless. Keep in mind they have to get the guides from Prima, also, and those are sold out, so this isn't going to be an immediate fix. Likely will take months to settle down.

They did a fine job with the regular edition, but it sold much faster than expected. What needs to happen is Digital River needs to never be used again. Being upset at the publisher that actually gave us a chance to play the game is silly and pointless.

who cares if they did an "acceptable" job. if another publisher can do a much better job, i'd rather have them.

madhtr

who cares if they did an "acceptable" job. if another publisher can do a much better job, i'd rather have them.

Which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

Basically, there's no way you can know anyone would have done anything better. Assumptions are worthless.

I send an Email to know if they are going to have back the normal edition back, they have not reply to my mail yet. I want to use the $20 code they send. Hope to be wrong, but I am guessing they will left the code expire before placing the game back on the store XD

Which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

Basically, there's no way you can know anyone would have done anything better. Assumptions are worthless.

it's not that hard to know from history. who effed up both NNK's Wizard Ed and Dark Souls CE and offered strategy guides as compensation? you're telling me not one publisher can do better than that? come on.

madhtr

The thing I don't understand is how a company can see the fallout from Digital River in the past and present, and yet continue to work with them. I really hope some companies realize they're only alienating fans through the continued partnership.

it's not that hard to know from history. who effed up both NNK's Wizard Ed and Dark Souls CE and offered strategy guides as compensation? you're telling me not one publisher can do better than that? come on.

Problem is that these publishers outsource to save money, so they can continue to offer their own stores, and so they really have no alternative. I expect Level 5 took the best deal to localize the game.... it's not like they can tell publishers to localize it. Sometimes you have to take what you can get to have any opportunity.

iammeiam

They did a fine job with the regular edition, but it sold much faster than expected. What needs to happen is Digital River needs to never be used again. Being upset at the publisher that actually gave us a chance to play the game is silly and pointless. Keep in mind they have to get the guides from Prima, also, and those are sold out, so this isn't going to be an immediate fix. Likely will take months to settle down.

Has there even been customer communication that the guides are being shipped ever? I never received anything about it; we're closing in on a week since this started, it seems like they could have sent out "We know you're pissed, here's what we'll send you in a month." emails to eligible people.

madhtr

Has there even been customer communication that the guides are being shipped ever? I never received anything about it; we're closing in on a week since this started, it seems like they could have sent out "We know you're pissed, here's what we'll send you in a month." emails to eligible people.

I'm not even sure Digital River has any idea who is affected... Like I said, it'll likely take months for this all to come to an end. This has been a huge debacle for people that have bought, tried to buy, and still want to buy using coupons given to them.

Peagles

I don't think so. Not yet. I even replied directly to my cancellation email and asked about it, and haven't heard back.

Is the email an "@digitalriver" address?

Yes it was namcobandai.en.cs@digitalriver.com

BluWacky

Sin you're really going nuts here, calm down don't let a game destroy your health.

Take it from someone who survived the EU Xenoblade release thread - at least RPGCrazied has got his copy of Ni no Kuni. Bless you, RPGCrazied, but that was one spectacular meltdown/freakout you managed over your order in there :)

iammeiam

I'm not even sure Digital River has any idea who is affected... Like I said, it'll likely take months for this all to come to an end. This has been a huge debacle for people that have bought, tried to buy, and still want to buy using coupons given to them.

Not sure how DR could not know--they have their order information and were able to use it to blast out both cancellation notifications and "call us for a reorder chance" emails last week. Pulling a list of customers with cancelled WE's should therefor be possible and relatively straightforward. Their customer service people obviously can't tell us anything, and their ordering system sucks for FIFO, but we've seen evidence of their ability to extract and mass-email information so that part should be relatively easy.

madhtr

Not sure how DR could not know--they have their order information and were able to use it to blast out both cancellation notifications and "call us for a reorder chance" emails last week. Pulling a list of customers with cancelled WE's should therefor be possible and relatively straightforward. Their customer service people obviously can't tell us anything, and their ordering system sucks for FIFO, but we've seen evidence of their ability to extract and mass-email information so that part should be relatively easy.

Yes, but that same order information was used to incorrectly send some emails, and allow people to re-order when they shouldn't, and also caused shipments not to be properly shipped when they should... so yeah, it should be possible, but I'm not sure how practical.

Also, as I mentioned before, they have to get the guides from Prima, a guide which is currently sold out nearly everywhere. I don't know when this will come to an end, but getting pissed off in a thread isn't going to make the process better for you or for others. This sucks, I agree, but really all we can do is wait, send emails, call, etc. I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset, but being calm is going to make yourself feel better. Shit happens. Life goes on.

no one has. they're probably waiting again until friday, then release their statement on ign. all while ignoring their official facebook, twitter, and forums.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Still waiting on my WE, but the guide arrived in the mail today.

It's everything I ever hoped for. PRAISE LEVEL-5 (and Prima) *O*

I finally received my Prima guide in the mail. Outside of the steelbook case, my WE (that I ordered in August, 2012) and Prima Guide makes my quest complete. Like some of the others, I will not be able to really play my copy anytime soon. I'm too busy with my final semester of school, student teaching and other things going on. Congrats to those who finally got their copy and well wishes to those who are still trying to get their copy.

chrono01

My guide has been sitting in Edmonton, AB for the past two days because of "adverse weather conditions". -_-

Come on, UPS. This isn't funny anymore.

It never was funny. -_-

My UPS man laughed at me because I had the biggest grin on my face when he came to the door.

I hugged it like a lost child.

Now I'm just waiting on the guide from Amazon. Not supposed to ship out till after the 8th. Not sure if I'll start it before then. Still have a couple of other games I need to finish.

Jessicat

Hmmm, the plot thickens? I pulled the invoice out of the box and it shows a company called "Ditan Distribution" ....Did DR pawn off their work to another distribution company? If so, lol, no wonder everything is messed up ;>> Or is this just another company under the "DR" corp? o_O

Got my Wizard's Edition, I am finally retiring from this thread.

All the best to you all, I hope at the least you enjoy the game! (And thanks to all those who helped me in my times of panic)

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
Anyone have any idea what the markings on the back of the Wizard's Coin are? They're not the standard Nazcaän Script.

Edit: Nevermind! Figured it out, and it hit me in a very "duh" moment.
The markings are all of the different spell runes.

Katzii

just received my WE, sweeeeeet!!!! Wont be opening it anytime soon though :S

Hoping this is because you currently lack the time to play the game as opposed to being someone who buys collector's editions purely to leave them unopened on a shelf gathering dust. Those trinkets demand to be enjoyed!

Got my WE completely intact today. *whew*

The book is absolutely gorgeous, most likely the best bonus item I've ever seen for a video game.

I was very lucky that I didn't have any issues with Digital River, but I hope we are all spared from having to deal with them in the future. This was an absolute trainwreck.

Yasumi

Banned
Any other Canadians get charged a brokerage fee? I got home tonight and there was a UPS note on my door, missed delivery, and a required brokerage fee of $46.54. There were people earlier in the thread mentioning that Digital River had paid it, so I'm a little bummed. I called up DR, and they just gave me a canned answer about fees in general. Should I try to dispute with UPS?

TheExodu5

Banned
Any other Canadians get charged a brokerage fee? I got home tonight and there was a UPS note on my door, missed delivery, and a required brokerage fee of $46.54. There were people earlier in the thread mentioning that Digital River had paid it, so I'm a little bummed. I called up DR, and they just gave me a canned answer about fees in general. Should I try to dispute with UPS?

I wasn't charged brokerage fees. I'd be pretty pissed if I was...but in truth, there's probably not much you can do. Maybe call Digital River and find out.

Mine will arrive tomorrow, but when I called UPS with my order number, I have been told that I would have no fees to pay... strange. I would call UPS.

zeopower6

Got mine this afternoon! It was in perfect condition too!

YO8z26X.png

Now to play... getting goosebumps thinking about it, lol.

Erekiddo

Well, here we go.

Anyone have issues redeeming their code for the Gold Hurly Familiar from the guide? I followed the instructions, put in the printed code at Prima's site, and keep getting a "code not recognized" message.

Well, here we go.

Anyone have issues redeeming their code for the Gold Hurly Familiar from the guide? I followed the instructions, put in the printed code at Prima's site, and keep getting a "code not recognized" message.
Is it a twelve letter code? The code that came with the WE was supposed to be input into the Playstation Store.

madhtr

Got mine this afternoon! It was in perfect condition too!

YO8z26X.png

Now to play... getting goosebumps thinking about it, lol.

Jealous! Mine didn't come with an angry cat :(

Well, here we go.

You have to go to the special link they provided to enter the code. It won't work on the regular Prima website.

Is it a twelve letter code? The code that came with the WE was supposed to be input into the Playstation Store.

The Hurly code is a special code you enter on Prima's special Ni no Kuni site, which spits out a PSN code, which you enter in the store.

Erekiddo

Aye, thanks. I needed to make an account, so I was trying the "Redeem Code" up at top. I saw the initial page, but there isn't a login on that one!

What a weird way of going about it, but it worked. Thanks again.

(I wonder if they'll sell any of this as DLC)

Takuya

Banned

You can tell if you'll get charged brokerage by tracking your package. If it doesn't go through "clearance" than you have no fees.

Hmmm, the plot thickens? I pulled the invoice out of the box and it shows a company called "Ditan Distribution" ....Did DR pawn off their work to another distribution company? If so, lol, no wonder everything is messed up ;>> Or is this just another company under the "DR" corp? o_O

That's probably their distribution company, Digital River handles the online stores and the logistics behind that, and probably outsource/subcontract the actual shipping.

Yagharek

Just got my Aus edition of the wizards edition. Shall be opening it tonight or tomorrow, pending work. So glad it is here, mind you I ordered in August.

Top Bottom