• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition for EU/NA [failure level well beyond critical mass]

Eusis

Really? I didn't know we were getting anything new this year besides maybe Tales of Xillia.

Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Lightning Returns: FFXIII, FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Soul Sacrifice, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers, Dragon's Crown, Etrian Odyssey IV, Fire Emblem 3DS.

Lower-tier games: The Witch and the Hundred Knights, Black Rock Shooter, Tokitowa.

AND we might even get: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Ys: Sea of Celceta, etc.

And I might be forgetting some!
Admittedly some of these offerings are very much "Maybe" and only Dragon's Crown loosely counts on the console RPG front, but going to handhelds - hell, just the 3DS - we have Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey IV, and Soul Hackers by the end of spring, two of those within roughly a month in fact. If all you want is something on consoles... well, it really is down to this in the immediate future with Dragon's Crown giving a brawler alternative.

Reveirg

Admittedly some of these offerings are very much "Maybe" and only Dragon's Crown loosely counts on the console RPG front.

How come ToX, LR: FFXIII and FFXIV don't count?

I agree it's a bit low on the console front, but it's pretty much as high as 2012... and we'll probably get more announcements as the year advances.

Eusis

How come ToX, LR: FFXIII and FFXIV don't count?

I agree it's a bit low on the console front, but it's pretty much as high as 2012... and we'll probably get more announcements as the year advances.
XIV's an MMO so for those wanting JRPGs it's probably too far out from what they want, we don't know when ToX will arrive still (I thought for sure we'd see Graces f in 2011 based on announcing the English version early 2011; it took over a year from that announcement to see it released, so I'm not trusting NB to release anything Tales in a timely fashion), and I have a feeling Lightning Returns will slip to 2014 at least in NA/EU. This will likely be counterbalanced by announcements cropping up though, Atelier Ayesha seems to be a lock for the first half of the year, just with neither NISA or Tecmo Koei saying anything.

And personally, I was only thinking of the immediate future, as in next 2-4 months, he may have brought up only knowing of Xillia when it came to RPGs coming out this year, but if I'm saying a bounty of JRPG titles coming is a reason to personally wait and see on Ni No Kuni then I was going to need stuff coming out SOON for that to actually be a valid reason; who the hell holds off on a game in a genre they like because there'll be more in, what, June at best?

Reveirg

who the hell holds off on a game in a genre they like because there'll be more in, what, June at best?

Good point. =D

I still like 2013's line-up, but yeah it's no reason to hold off on Ni No Kuni!

Oh and, ToX is pretty much guaranteed 1st half of 2013. VO recordings have been completed ~1 month ago. Based on that timetable and previous Tales of release, the game should definitely come out before summer, or during summer.

Eusis

Good point. =D

I still like 2013's line-up, but yeah it's no reason to hold off on Ni No Kuni!

Oh and, ToX is pretty much guaranteed 1st half of 2013. VO recordings have been completed ~1 month ago. Based on that timetable and previous Tales of release, the game should definitely come out before summer, or during summer.
Well, I meant more that if I had to wait several months on other games coming out (as the case actually is if I'm purely looking at console titles) then there's no point in waiting on Ni No Kuni. But factoring in handhelds titles, by the end of February we'll have Fire Emblem and EOIV too, so it's a fairly crowded period. March clears up a bit from a cursory glance at least.

And I didn't follow ToX too seriously, I'm guessing maybe they took a cue from Graces f taking so long and remained more quiet until it was just about out this time. Not that it's unprecedented for publishers to keep games in the vault for quite awhile, but maybe that's more blatantly a Sega problem...

Eusis is right, if you're looking for a console JRPG to play right now you should just buy Ni No Kuni.

I have a feeling that Namco will take their sweet ass time with Xillia. Probably a Q3 release, but I'd love to be wrong.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So to get everything in NA I have to:

• Order Wizard Edition for goodies and exclusive DLC
  • Pre-order from GameStop for exclusive DLC and steelbox
  • Pre-order ffrom Amazon for exclusive DLC
  • Pre-order from Best Buy for exclusive DLC
  • Pre-order guide book for exclusive DLC

Is this right?

This DLC actually exclusive?

chrono01

Is this right?

That is correct.

While they say the DLC is eclusive right now, it wouldn't surprise me to see it offered later on "for a price". Well, maybe not the Wizard's Edition stuff, but probably everything else.

Eusis

I gave up giving a crap about that after DA:O. Actually, did we get bundles sold on the Japanese PSN store? I kind of expect that's what could happen here.

THEN AGAIN I think the Graces f DLC could be bought in Japan but was made GameStop exclusive in the US, so Namco Bandai's kind of a terrible company.

Snookie

Sweet I won the ni no kuni wizards giveaway on amazon. I was going to wait to pick this game up but now I kinda want it.

OBV3y.jpg

Eusis

Its the japanese version of the book apparently. Still cool with me though. I might just leave it sealed. I dont know.
... Wait, and this was in a contest give away?

I'm starting to wonder if they really did screw up about saying it included an English version of the book.

Eusis

but IGN said it was english lol. (if we talking about the book with WE
Whoops!

... But in a giveaway to 4 people why couldn't they get a few extra of the books? Unless they printed this up months in advance, I guess it would be impractical to do a run for just 4 people, though it'd have been nice to print up a 1000 or something and just sell on their site, with a few extras for contest giveaways!

... Wait, and this was in a contest give away?

I'm starting to wonder if they really did screw up about saying it included an English version of the book.
From the Amazon Video Games facebook post for the giveaway:

Amazon Video Games said:
"What do you get when you cross Dragon Quest and My Neighbor Totoro? Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch! We're giving away 4 Japanese language versions of the 300pg hardcover "Wizard's Companion" book(not otherwise available in the U.S.), plus Drippy and Mite plush toys. Send us an email at gamerlove@amazon.com with "Wizard" in the subject line for a chance to win 1 of 4 gift sets.

Sounds like they don't have any copies of the North American Wizard's Edition, they just got their hands on some of the DS bargain bin books from Japan and gave em away.

Lucent

Is this right?

Seeing as how they put out DLC for Tales of Graces F, I don't see why they wouldn't put DLC out for this.

Ryuukan

Is this right?

Gamestop only lists the steelbook, no DLC.
Bestbuy doesnt list any DLC on their site.
The guide DLC is just with the book, you dont have to preorder it.

Sushigod7

For any wondering about the book it's been confirmed a bunch but I tweeted Rich Bantegui the community guy over at Namco Bandai he confirmed

‏@Filthierich English and fully colored!

Saw the contest to late nice someone here got one even if it's Japanese. As far as that Drippy plush in the Wizard edition my hopes were never high you can see it's a cheap $1 door prize that belongs in a crane machine at the arcade. Worthless.

Eusis

I kinda hoped that was about the manual when I saw JUST the quoted text. I'll probably be disappointed with it (best I can hope for is probably ToGf), but for RPGs like this I want nice beefy manuals. Especially as looking at the demo I'm not sure how in depth the in-game documentation is, so it might kind of NEED it.

madhtr

I kinda hoped that was about the manual when I saw JUST the quoted text. I'll probably be disappointed with it (best I can hope for is probably ToGf), but for RPGs like this I want nice beefy manuals. Especially as looking at the demo I'm not sure how in depth the in-game documentation is, so it might kind of NEED it.

In-game, the entire book that comes with the Wizard's Edition is available, so I don't think documentation will be a problem.

Mr.Fresh

Replayed the demo several times. I can't wait till the 22nd haven't played a JRPG since Graces I'm ready. I didn't like the combat at first but once I understood it it just clicked! Lol

OT: I don't think Namco is gonna talk about Xillia until this is out tbh.

Lucent

Nope.
I'm sure you could find something else to play on PS3, though.

Definitely. I love a lot of the exclusives on the PS3 and the digital games (including PSOne and PS2 classics) are well worth it. I'm a little biased though because I love all of Sony's home consoles.

I wouldn't mind seeing this on the Wii U if possible though. I can imagine using the Gamepad to choose familiars and command attacks. That and flip through the Wizard book.

Replayed the demo several times. I can't wait till the 22nd haven't played a JRPG since Graces I'm ready. I didn't like the combat at first but once I understood it it just clicked! Lol

OT: I don't think Namco is gonna talk about Xillia until this is out tbh.

Yeah I was only disappointed in the demo because of how easy the bosses were. They obviously beefed up the characters and/or toned down the bosses because Oliver could spam fire spell on the forest boss and ice spell on the volcano boss and they'd die much quicker than using a familiar. And Oliver didn't have to be anywhere near them. Just stay outside and block when necessary.

Danj

Yeah I was only disappointed in the demo because of how easy the bosses were. They obviously beefed up the characters and/or toned down the bosses because Oliver could spam fire spell on the forest boss and ice spell on the volcano boss and they'd die much quicker than using a familiar. And Oliver didn't have to be anywhere near them. Just stay outside and block when necessary.

Huh. I guess I should try that then, I died on the demo ^^;;;

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gamestop only lists the steelbook, no DLC.
Bestbuy doesnt list any DLC on their site.
The guide DLC is just with the book, you dont have to preorder it.
Yeah, you're right about Gamestop. I thought it had some.
Good news on the guide as I don't want to preorder it.

Best buy was supposed to get Flutterby as DLC. From reading it should be packaged with the game. You're right that I can't see anything official. I wonder how that info started.

Gameinformers review makes no sense at all.
Its a good game, he likes it.... But he doesn't want to play it?

The reviewer's a she, and although she used to be an old RPGFan editor, I wouldn't place too much trust on reviews from Gamesinformer though, might be a bias but eeh... Also below:
Kagari played the JPN version and said it was good. I trust her.
Yeah, I trust her too along with Aeana. I'd take a GAFer recommendation over published reviews any day. Way back when I lurked, I'd easily follow any of Dragona's, Ethelred's or Red Scarlet's recommendations.

Zia

Edge gave Ni No Kuni an 8. Off of the top of my head, the only JRPGs I remember scoring higher from the last several years are Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 4, Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP).

Ricker

Edge gave Ni No Kuni an 8. Off of the top of my head, the only JRPGs I remember scoring higher from the last several years are Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 4, Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP).

That's pretty good company right there...just a little more then a week now.

Top Bottom