• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Tex117

Banned
Actually, all that stuff that happens in the beginning of the game isn't that spoilerish. D:

Yeah, but even the part about what he is trying to do regarding
trying to find the soul mate of his mother
is that all explained in the very beginning of the game?

Either way, I don't like spoilers in JRPG's. :(

zeopower6

Yeah, but even the part about what he is trying to do regarding
trying to find the soul mate of his mother
is that all explained in the very beginning of the game?

Either way, I don't like spoilers in JRPG's. :(

The explanation is in the beginning of the game, yeah. Think "Brave Story" if you played or read that.

Can you turn off the game's aids? Like, when it tells you where to go/highlights the objective?

Via EgHeadFool@GFAQs.
"You can turn off the gold star objective marker in the settings (or the mini-map entirely), which helps a lot if you feel like finding your next objective is too easy. "

It's a nice addition though imo.

Review breakdown!
* EDGE: 8/10
* Official Playstation Magazine: 9/10
* PlayMag UK: 85%
* GamesTM: 8/10
* IGN: 9,4/10
* GameInformer: 7/10
* God is a geek: 10/10
* TechDigest: 5/5
* LEVEL (A Swedish game magazine): 8/10
* NowGamer: 8.5/10
* @Gamer (Best Buy magazine): 4.25/5

One of these things is not like the others~

madhtr

Can you turn off the game's aids? Like, when it tells you where to go/highlights the objective?

Can't speak for this game, but most RPGs that have similar features allow them to be turned off. I never thought of that before, but now I kinda hope you CAN turn that off. Would be nice to explore without thinking about it.

Tex117

Banned
The explanation is in the beginning of the game, yeah. Think "Brave Story" if you played or read that.

Via EgHeadFool@GFAQs.
"You can turn off the gold star objective marker in the settings (or the mini-map entirely), which helps a lot if you feel like finding your next objective is too easy. "

It's a nice addition though imo.

Ah, well that makes me feel a little better...most 16bit RPGS back in the day didn't develop into their real story until a few hours in. I always liked that "slow" part of the RPG and didn't want that spoiled.

zeopower6

Ah, well that makes me feel a little better...most 16bit RPGS back in the day didn't develop into their real story until a few hours in. I always liked that "slow" part of the RPG and didn't want that spoiled.

I see. :( I guess they probably thought it was fair game since it was also in press material for Ni no Kuni. And from what I have seen, Ni no Kuni has a bit of a really 'long/slow' portion of the game in the beginning. It's about an hour or two before you actually get to go to the other world, I believe.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Alright, just pre-ordered.....with my Pikmin 3 money :(

Special fuck you to Nintendo. Release dates, do you have them?

it's in the demo. you can turn it off. i turned it off myself so myself just so i can explore the game and find the POI myself. and plan to do that in the full game. frustration be damned

zeopower6

With many reskins/recolors :/

That isn't really accurate since those are the evolutions with slight color variations and VERY slight design changes until the final evolution. They took a very subtle hand when it came to 'evolving' in this game which I appreciate.

W6ijh.jpg

Normal -> first evolution -> second evolution *branch 1* -> second evolution *branch 2*

Can't believe how well this is doing in terms of Amazon pre-orders, UK and US alike.

I KNOW. It's #1 in Canada for christ's sake.

Western reviewers:

Ni no Kuni: "Best JRPG of this gen. Amazing graphics, heartwarming story, charming characters. Beautiful soundtrack and a must-have. You won't find a better JRPG on consoles."

Score: 7-8

Western RPGs: "Doesn't do anything different, but what's here is solid. Boring characters with no personality. Open world can be shallow. Lot of technical issues. Game breaking glitches, hopefully will be fixed with a day one patch. Horrible ending."

Score: 10!!!

Kidding aside, can't wait for Ni No Kuni! JRPG is redeemed and it was worth the wait!:)

zeopower6

Western reviewers:

Ni no Kuni: "Best JRPG of this gen. Amazing graphics, heartwarming story, charming characters. Beautiful soundtrack and a must-have. You won't find a better JRPG on consoles."

Score: 7-8

Western RPGs: "Doesn't do anything different, but what's here is solid. Boring characters with no personality. Open world can be shallow. Lot of technical issues. Game breaking glitches, hopefully will be fixed with a day one patch. Horrible ending."

Score: 10!!!

Basically...

I think you can tell when it's a paid review. :p

Eusis

i went to mine today. said they weren't accepting preorders for it D:
They were accepting pre-orders but the steelbooks weren't in (or the box wasn't opened yet), and the end of name on the receipt has "no pr", leaving it incomplete BUT could be "no preorder bonus" or something. Eh, I'll see if they have spares next week.

And now that I read it, the impression I got from the review in GI was that the graphics are amazing, the gameplay's good but has frustrating moments, and the story is very mediocre. I think that's fair, I did have hangups with the boss fight in the demo, but maybe I'll get a hang of it in the full game.
One of these things is not like the others~
It's just a single point down, it's not like we had one 1/10 that went "shittiest shit that ever shit a shit".

zeopower6

It's just a single point down, it's not like we had one 1/10 that went "shittiest shit that ever shit a shit".

Still, it's the lowest scoring review and the complaints are kind of exaggerated and unfounded considering that most of them are dealt with in game. (The enemies chase you? They RUN AWAY from you after you get a few levels higher. No save points? You can save ANYWHERE on the world map, just not in dungeons which are in the usual places you'd find save points in a dungeon before a boss battle and such. Boss battles are cheap? They give you strategies on how to fight them! Time to defend is short? Well... duh? The bosses give you a few seconds to react after an indicator of what attack they're going to do.)

I find it kind of disgusting that Game Informer gave it a 7 when they gave SF x Megaman an 8... wtf?

They were accepting pre-orders but the steelbooks weren't in (or the box wasn't opened yet), and the end of name on the receipt has "no pr", leaving it incomplete BUT could be "no preorder bonus" or something. Eh, I'll see if they have spares next week.

And now that I read it, the impression I got from the review in GI was that the graphics are amazing, the gameplay's good but has frustrating moments, and the story is very mediocre. I think that's fair, I did have hangups with the boss fight in the demo, but maybe I'll get a hang of it in the full game.

That's a big issue to have when every other site or mag says the story is one of its positives.

zeopower6

According to Wallace she beat the game at 35 hours and added in another five for side missions.

Wallace?

It seems to me like if you want to collect all of the Familiars and do all the side missions, you'll be playing more than 40 hours... (or just to Platinum it)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know what it is, maybe it's the kid on a great adventure thing or the tree having a duck bill, but it makes me want a Duck Tales game...

Eusis

Still, it's the lowest scoring review and the complaints are kind of exaggerated and unfounded considering that most of them are dealt with in game. (The enemies chase you? They RUN AWAY from you after you get a few levels higher. No save points? You can save ANYWHERE on the world map, just not in dungeons which are in the usual places you'd find save points in a dungeon before a boss battle and such. Boss battles are cheap? They give you strategies on how to fight them! Time to defend is short? Well... duh? The bosses give you a few seconds to react after an indicator of what attack they're going to do.)

I find it kind of disgusting that Game Informer gave it a 7 when they gave SF x Megaman an 8... wtf?
Isn't "disgusting" a bit extreme, especially when they're not from the same reviewer? Anyways I'm figuring the rest are down to personal preferences, or you need to try viewing them from a different angle: the times when you want to avoid encounters most will likely be when you're seriously having trouble or when they're utterly pointless to bother with, and for the former I think that's why it's brought up because once you're a few levels past them they're not a problem anymore. And she DID note you can save on the world map, I think the implied problem is that dungeons can be long, and so if you've been playing for a half hour to an hour without a save point in sight it can be very frustrating when you just want to stop, or made a lot of progress you don't want to lose (although at least it's just 10% of your money potentially). And if I'm remembering from the demo right, isn't there a cooldown between actions that could keep you from defending? That may be a personal preference thing though.

Anyways none of this seems grossly wrong, or as baffling as "I can't remember what my guys do if I don't name them after their functions" that another person hit Etrian Odyssey with in GI before.
Great, now I won't be able to unsee that in-game.

zeopower6

The worst score the game has gotten is a 7 and people are complaining about review scores? Seems pretty highly rated to me.

The other scores are fine. I don't think anyone has an issue with those. The Game Informer one is kind of lame considering that most of the "negative aspects" of the game described in the review are handled in the game so it's almost as though it's misleading anyone who reads just that review.

At his point considering preorder bonuses that are still available, where is the best place to order from?

Depends on what you like. A lot of people opted for the steelbook because it's physical.

Best Buy has the Flutterby and Amazon.com has Griffy but PSN UK[?] has a preorder that includes both of them.

However, due to a tweet from LEVEL-5, it sounds like it won't be for download on PSN in NA until after the physical edition's release date or at least very close to the release date.

https://twitter.com/TriggerRedd/status/290931879371227136

The other scores are fine. I don't think anyone has an issue with those. The Game Informer one is kind of lame considering that most of the "negative aspects" of the game described in the review are handled in the game so it's almost as though it's misleading anyone who reads just that review.

Depends on what you like. A lot of people opted for the steelbook because it's physical.

Best Buy has the Flutterby and Amazon.com has Griffy but PSN UK[?] has a preorder that includes both of them.

However, due to a tweet from LEVEL-5, it sounds like it won't be for download on PSN in NA until after the physical edition's release date.

I thought it was too late to get the steel book?

Saw a steel case of this in the new games section at GameStop earlier, made me think this was out already. I even opened it up and looked at the inside art. Seems like a nice thing to own.

But I didn't ask about it, I'm not ready to pay full price to play this game lol (unless it is futile to wait for a price drop on this?)

zeopower6

I thought it was too late to get the steel book?

You can probably preorder online and get a steelbook still, but if it's a local GameStop, I'd call ahead of time or preorder in-store to ask.

But I didn't ask about it, I'm not ready to pay full price to play this game lol (unless it is futile to wait for a price drop on this?)

You may find some deals in the first week of release but after that... I don't know if a price drop will happen. I mean, we don't even know if the game will sell out of its initial press or if they'll do a press after this one and so on.

There were a few 12-15 dollar game preorder coupons at Newegg a while ago but they haven't had those recently so you're out of luck there, I guess.

Alboreo

Yes really. I prefer to have something that looks nice, and can feel/touch it. I mean of course DLC is cool, but to me, steelbooks are cooler than dlc.

This is how I feel, basically. I'd rather have something neat that I can actually touch than a DLC familiar.

Misleading or blatantly false info in a review is pretty poor form, but when it comes to things like story or characters it's personal preference really. Fortunately it seems like the majority of reviewers really enjoyed the game!

zeopower6

Number2 overall on Amazon

Number one for ps3 games.

hopefully it sells well..

it bombed in Japan right?

Dang, it's skyrocketing. It was #16 yesterday!

It did about 'average' for a new title in Japan. (maybe a little lower than average lol) It sold about 100k~ total not counting All in One copies sold.

I never thought I would see the day. The reviews seem to be helping. I think this game might be like Okami or Dark Cloud 1/2 and sell way more in the states than it did in Japan.

0QWSU.jpg

EOpXg.jpg

Too bad I don;t have nay cash for this...gonna try to gamefly it.

My ADHD got in the way of me completing the demo but the Gametrailers Preview got me hype.

If I like it I'll buy it from Gamefly....

if I get it.

madhtr

Misleading or blatantly false info in a review is pretty poor form, but when it comes to things like story or characters it's personal preference really. Fortunately it seems like the majority of reviewers really enjoyed the game!

The GI review isn't misleading or blatantly false, it's just how their experience went. If you rush through the game, other people will have a similar experience with the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ni no Kuni or Fire Emblem...

I feel like I will shape the future of games coming out here if I do not purchase both.

Top Bottom