• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

zeopower6

The GI review isn't misleading or blatantly false, it's just how their experience went. If you rush through the game, other people will have a similar experience with the game.

I should've worded myself differently there. However, a lot of people seem to be wondering "Oh well, that thing about the monsters following you is annoying! What a lame mechanic in the game" because of that review stating it.

Ni no Kuni or Fire Emblem...

I feel like I will shape the future of games coming out here if I do not purchase both.

Fire Emblem should do fine without your support... it's even getting a bundle in the states! Ni no Kuni had one in Japan and I wish the Magical Edition came out here as well.. -drool-

op7KU.jpg

Eusis

Fire Emblem should do fine without your support...
We missed the last one, though that might've had as much to do with the US DS market as it did Shadow Dragon seemingly tanking. Not that I imagine a game that managed to reach #1 on sales on Amazon is likely to need more support unless it's a game that had a ridiculously high budget, and while this is more likely than most JRPGs it's probably still relatively reasonable.

zeopower6

We missed the last one, though that might've had as much to do with the US DS market as it did Shadow Dragon seemingly tanking. Not that I imagine a game that managed to reach #1 on sales on Amazon is likely to need more support unless it's a game that had a ridiculously high budget, and while this is more likely than most JRPGs it's probably still relatively reasonable.

True, but a sequel to Ni no Kuni is on the line if sales of this version do well, haha.

Hana-Bi

True, but a sequel to Ni no Kuni is on the line if sales of this version do well, haha.

Are there any hints that a sequel is possible?

Would love Ni no Kuni on a next gen console in two or so years, but then hopefully multiplat since I don't know if I want a PS4...

zeopower6

Are there any hints that a sequel is possible?

Would love Ni no Kuni on a next gen console in two or so years, but then hopefully multiplat since I don't know if I want a PS4...

They basically said "if the Western release does well, we will think about continuing the series" in an interview with Famitsu or something like that.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nino-k...version-succeeds-overseas-level-5-ceo-6372163
Originally from Andriasang, but that site closed so it's kind of hard to access nowadays.

How long is this game?

Average seems to be about 40~50 if you just want to finish the story up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They basically said "if the Western release does well, we will think about continuing the series" in an interview with Famitsu or something like that.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nino-k...version-succeeds-overseas-level-5-ceo-6372163
Originally from Andriasang, but that site closed so it's kind of hard to access nowadays.

Kind of weird to rely on the West for that. Well, if they market it right (ie on Disney Channel or Cartoon Network) and play up the Pokemon angle, it might do ok.

Eusis

Kind of weird to rely on the West for that. Well, if they market it right (ie on Disney Channel or Cartoon Network) and play up the Pokemon angle, it might do ok.
It's probably more that if this is something that does well internationally it's worth continuing to invest in it versus doing mediocre in Japan only. Kind of like why Nintendo keeps making Metroid (or did?) I guess, the series was always more popular outside of Japan.

zeopower6

Some review copies come with capes: https://twitter.com/NormalMode/status/291335958513717248

This was when I dropped off Rev3Games' review copy: https://twitter.com/NormalMode/status/291346347917996033

Woah, they added a plastic thingamajig onto the cape!

I got mine at Anime Expo and it was just the fabric cape with a Ni no Kuni tag, haha.

VuV9Q.jpg

It's probably also because Dark Cloud (2) and Layton did incredibly well outside of Japan.

It's probably more that if this is something that does well internationally it's worth continuing to invest in it versus doing mediocre in Japan only. Kind of like why Nintendo keeps making Metroid (or did?) I guess, the series was always more popular outside of Japan.

For some reason, sometimes games just do a lot better outside of the region they were produced in. Weird how the world works sometimes... Also, they put a TON of work into the localization of this game. Perhaps the most I've ever seen in a game's localization... unless there are other games I'm not aware of.

Sushigod7

Some review copies come with capes: https://twitter.com/NormalMode/status/291335958513717248

This was when I dropped off Rev3Games' review copy: https://twitter.com/NormalMode/status/291346347917996033

Man that book seems smaller than the Youtube videos, to bad it's not a full size. I just played the second part of the demo I've been trying not to play it so I didn't see to much. Damnit I can't wait, I will eat this game up shit it out and eat it again. It's that good folks.

The GI review isn't misleading or blatantly false, it's just how their experience went. If you rush through the game, other people will have a similar experience with the game.

Okay, sounds like it's more of a lazy review than anything. Luckily there are a number of great reviews out there to balance the equation.

I'm actually impressed by how well this game has been received.

Bladenic

I was not expecting such high scores, especially something like 9.4 from IGN.

I may just say screw it and go ahead with my pre-order. It would be amazing to play the game when it releases.

This game makes me so sad - it really looked like it would have been a game I'd really enjoy, but then Namco totally screwed me over with the Wizard's Edition, and I'm not going to play the game unless I can play it as it was meant to be played, with the book (and there's no way in hell I'm paying a scalper's/importer's fee for it). It seems really dumb only making 7000 books for a game designed around using a book with it.

zeopower6

This game makes me so sad - it really looked like it would have been a game I'd really enjoy, but then Namco totally screwed me over with the Wizard's Edition, and I'm not going to play the game unless I can play it as it was meant to be played, with the book (and there's no way in hell I'm paying a scalper's/importer's fee for it). It seems really dumb only making 7000 books for a game designed around using a book with it.

Okay...

The book is in-game, just to get that out of the way. You only need the book for the DS version which is why they never brought that one over here because you NEED the book to refer to. The PS3 first press limited edition in Japan also bundled the book with it (leftover DS copies I guess) but those copies have since sold out because well, you don't need the book to play this game on the PS3!

We also don't really know how many copies they sold since the number on that website was how many FB fans the FB page had.

I know that you can access the spells of the book in-game, but that's not the same thing. The game was still designed to be used with the book, and the book was half of what interested me in the game. There's no way I'm gonna flip through an electronic book on my TV for fun.

zeopower6

I know that you can access the spells of the book in-game, but that's not the same thing. The game was still designed to be used with the book, and the book was half of what interested me in the game. There's no way I'm gonna flip through an electronic book on my TV for fun.

No, the entire book is in the game, not just the spells...

L4w1p.jpg

Eusis

It seemed to me the book was essential for the DS version, but for the PS3 version it's more of a neat source of extra information. I wish we got the book in a more readily accessible form though, if this were the 80s or 90s it probably would've been standard with every copy anyway... at least on PC.

The book was more designed for the ds. And you're not drawing spells on the ps3 version anyways. Its all command based now really

zeopower6

One other advantage is that you don't need to unlock the pages if you have the book. Basically if you have the book, it's kind of spoileriffic since you normally don't get the access all the info at first.

Peagles

I should've worded myself differently there. However, a lot of people seem to be wondering "Oh well, that thing about the monsters following you is annoying! What a lame mechanic in the game" because of that review stating it.

Fire Emblem should do fine without your support... it's even getting a bundle in the states! Ni no Kuni had one in Japan and I wish the Magical Edition came out here as well.. -drool-

op7KU.jpg

I need this PS3!

No, the entire book is in the game, not just the spells...
Yes but as I said, I'm still not going to sit there flipping through an electronic book for fun. Without the real book I'd only ever access it when it was required for gameplay, which would suck, since the game was originally designed to be played with the book. It may not be *required* anymore, but it's still an integral part of the game's experience that I would be missing out on, and like I said, the book was half of the reason I was interested in the game. Without the book, it's only half of the game I wanted, so I just won't be buying it.

zeopower6

since the game was originally designed to be played with the book.

I don't know why you keep saying this because the game for the PS3 is NOT designed to be played with the book. :( The book for the PS3 version was planned as an optional goodie for anyone who wanted to get it since the experience is made to be played without the book on hand.

I need this PS3!

http://www.play-asia.com/PlayStatio..._Joou_Magica/paOS-13-71-bo-49-en-70-4dac.html

If you reaaallllly want it, it's still in stock at Play-Asia :D 490USD though.... (YesAsia also has it for like 600)

Eusis

It looks like it operates more like the in-game encyclopedias of other games anyway: new information popping up as you encounter it if you want to dig deeper. Just in a more PDF-esque form than Wiki form.

Peagles

I don't know why you keep saying this because the game for the PS3 is NOT designed to be played with the book. :( The book for the PS3 version was planned as an optional goodie for anyone who wanted to get it since the experience is made to be played without the book on hand.

http://www.play-asia.com/PlayStatio..._Joou_Magica/paOS-13-71-bo-49-en-70-4dac.html

If you reaaallllly want it, it's still in stock at Play-Asia :D 490USD though.... (YesAsia also has it for like 600)

Yeh I've been keeping an eye on at at PA. Waiting for more of a price drop though as it currently costs about double what a PS3 costs here locally.

Sushigod7

Yes but as I said, I'm still not going to sit there flipping through an electronic book for fun. Without the real book I'd only ever access it when it was required for gameplay, which would suck, since the game was originally designed to be played with the book. It may not be *required* anymore, but it's still an integral part of the game's experience that I would be missing out on, and like I said, the book was half of the reason I was interested in the game. Without the book, it's only half of the game I wanted, so I just won't be buying it.

If you were watching UK orders you could have got the Wizard Edition for almost the same price as the US version was with shipping. I think my copy from Game came out to 129.xx which is about 11 dollars more if I remember right. Amazon UK even sold them cheaper, yes you do miss on a few goodies from the US but if the book was all your interested you should have imported it. Your not teaching anyone a lesson not playing it your just missing out on a great game.

You're saying that the game Ni-No-Kuni was never designed to be played with a book, and a book doesn't feature as an important element in the game? Not once did I say "The PS3 version of the game requires the book and without it you cannot play the game." You do realize that this game is basically a remake of the DS game, right? The PS3 version of the game wasn't the initial design. I view it the same way I view the movie The Hobbit - while there is a version you can watch that's in 2D, the movie was designed to be watched in 3D at high framerate - that was the director's intent.

zeopower6

You do realize that this game is basically a remake of the DS game, right? The PS3 version of the game wasn't the initial design. I view it the same way I view the movie The Hobbit - while there is a version you can watch that's in 2D, the movie was designed to be watched in 3D at high framerate - that was the director's intent.

That's actually not true at all. The DS version and PS3 version were developed separately but maintain the same 'storyline'. However, the DS version's story ends at a certain point and the PS3 version expands upon where the DS title left off. It is not a port.

Are we speaking about the Strategy guide or the book included in the CE. I highly doubt the creators would want their audience to not experience the full game if a book from a limited run CE was mandatory. Unless I'm missing something here.

Sushigod7

That's actually not true at all. Let me go dig up some interviews.

I thought it was a re-imagining or based on if you ever watched videos or played the DS version this is totally different. Either way Dreamwriter it sucks you aren't playing talk to you later.

That's actually not true at all. Let me go dig up some interviews.

As I recall the game was announced in 2008 as a DS game, and then in 2010 when it was almost done they announced that they had started working on a remake of the game for PS3, that that version was going to be remade from scratch and given a slightly different subtitle and have a few small changes here and there.

zeopower6

As I recall the game was announced in 2008 as a DS game, and then in 2010 when it was almost done they announced that they had started working on a remake of the game for PS3, that that version was going to be remade from scratch and given a slightly different subtitle and have a few small changes here and there.

The word 'remake' isn't really accurate.

Basically, the game was debuted with the title Ni no Kuni: The Another World. At some point in 2010, they unveiled that the game was going to be 'split' into Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi (Jet Black Sorceror) for the DS and Ni no Kuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou (Queen of the White Ash). I don't believe the word remake was ever tossed around into the discussion. I think the reason why it took so long to actually release Ni no Kuni after the 2008 announcement was because they were working on the PS3 version alongside the DS one and at the time it was 'an unknown home console' in 2008. I remember finding out that they were making one for the PS3 and I was so excited and pumped for this game! >_<

http://falcong.blog53.fc2.com/blog-entry-107.html

Man, this was so long ago...

QaaQer

:hype killed sadface:

Thanks for bringing this up because I did not know this. If the book is part of the game design, and they are substituting some shitty onscreen facsimile, I'm going to have to rethink this. Reading stuff on a 1080p screen from 8-10 feet away is not enjoyable to me, especially at $60.

Fucking Namco, selling the NA wizard's edition to a bunch of ebay scalpers.

& even if they did not want to reprint physical copies, couldn't they sell the book separately as an ebook for ipad? How hard would that have been?

Definitely not a day one anymore, but will watch the thread.

Eusis

Maybe I'm missing something. Is the book more than just the pokedex? Because that's the impression I was getting before.
On DS, yes, it had all the glyphs or whatever you had to draw for the spells, you can even see those as the spell icons in the PS3 game.

On PS3? I think it sounds more like the in-game encyclopedia that games like Bioware's, FFXIII, and Xenosaga had, at the very least I already pointed out how the most important reason in DS isn't an issue here.

Yagharek

Should be getting a review copy in the next few days!

Excited!

Should be getting my Wizards Edition in two weeks. For the interim period, I will hate you! :p

I played the demo once when it came out, had some frustrations, figured its battle system out somewhat, and deleted it never to touch it again. I want to go into this game fresh, as its been almost 5 years since it was announced, never translated for DS, then my hopes were rescued by this version coming out.

It really does look like something special, and I just know its going to tug at all the sentimental heartstrings a Ghibli film always does.

Eusis

It really does look like something special, and I just know its going to tug at all the sentimental heartstrings a Ghibli film always does.
Level 5 handled the story fully as I recall, not Ghibli. Certainly that demo made me think "Yes, this definitely is a Level 5 game." A shame, as a full blown Ghibli RPG would be amazing.

Actually, I think it's going to be very interesting to see how people react to it, and how it contrasts based on their expectations on the story/Ghibli front versus those that just want a great JRPG they can sink their teeth into. I have a feeling those who're interested more for the former are going to be let down (see the GI review) whereas the latter will be very happy (the glowing reviews?)

QaaQer

On DS, yes, it had all the glyphs or whatever you had to draw for the spells, you can even see those as the spell icons in the PS3 game.

On PS3? I think it sounds more like the in-game encyclopedia that games like Bioware's, FFXIII, and Xenosaga had, at the very least I already pointed out how the most important reason in DS isn't an issue here.

I'm going to wait until people who actually paid $60 or $120 for Wiz give their feedback. I know there is a demo, but demos =/= game. Plus, I've been burned so many times with preorders, and Namco doesn't have the best reputation.

But hey, I totally want to be wrong.

edit: and I was wrong, i'd be reading it at sub 720 because this game isn't 1080p.

zeopower6

:hype killed sadface:

Thanks for bringing this up because I did not know this. If the book is part of the game design, and they are substituting some shitty onscreen facsimile, I'm going to have to rethink this. Reading stuff on a 1080p screen from 8-10 feet away is not enjoyable to me, especially at $60.

Fucking Namco, selling the NA wizard's edition to a bunch of ebay scalpers.

& even if they did not want to reprint physical copies, couldn't they sell the book separately as an ebook for ipad? How hard would that have been?

Definitely not a day one anymore, but will watch the thread.

I don't know why I need to repeat this but the book is NOT PART OF THE GAME DESIGN (for the PS3 game). D: Ever since the PS3 Ni no Kuni was announced in Japan, they tackled it by saying the book was available in game and you can zoom in and out freely after getting pages from playing. The book was a first press limited bonus in Japan though for buyers of the PS3 version. Are people really only figuring it out now that they aren't getting the book with normal presses of the game...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ST9nPjLwrR4
Ah, these manzai videos are hilarious, aha.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is the book more than just the pokedex? Because that's the impression I was getting before.

For the DS, it was an encyclopedia with information on bosses, monsters, weapons, places, etc.

For the PS3 (for those who have the physical book), it is an encyclopedia with information on bosses, monsters, weapons, places, etc. It's essentially the same information.

In any case, that is the reason why the DS version was never brought to the states. Because printing the book for every single copy (like in Japan) would have cost a crapton.

Yagharek

Level 5 handled the story fully as I recall, not Ghibli. Certainly that demo made me think "Yes, this definitely is a Level 5 game." A shame, as a full blown Ghibli RPG would be amazing.

Actually, I think it's going to be very interesting to see how people react to it, and how it contrasts based on their expectations on the story/Ghibli front versus those that just want a great JRPG they can sink their teeth into. I have a feeling those who're interested more for the former are going to be let down (see the GI review) whereas the latter will be very happy (the glowing reviews?)

I guess a Ghibli film would be difficult to stretch out over 30-40 hours of gameplay. It only needs to do it at key point, the rest of it needs to be a good game.

Thankfully that seems to be the case.

QaaQer

I don't know why I need to repeat this but the book is NOT PART OF THE GAME DESIGN (for the PS3 game). D: Ever since the PS3 Ni no Kuni was announced in Japan, they tackled it by saying the book was available in game.

For the DS, it was an encyclopedia with information on bosses, monsters, weapons, places, etc.

For the PS3 (for those who have the physical book), it is an encyclopedia with information on bosses, monsters, weapons, places, etc. It's essentially the same information.

In any case, that is the reason why the DS version was never brought to the states. Because printing the book for every single copy (like in Japan) would have cost a crapton.

Truly I appreciate your responses, and you are probably right. But like I said: Namco + <720p on screen book which might be vital to gameplay + Namco = will wait.

Eusis

Truly I appreciate your responses, and you are probably right. But like I said: Namco + <720p on screen book which might be vital to gameplay + Namco = will wait.
There's probably reviews that talk about this, if they don't then it probably wasn't that big of a deal.

At worst I figure maybe there's boss weaknesses or something that'd make things easier, but you could probably guess such as throwing water and/or ice spells on fire enemies.

zeopower6

There's probably reviews that talk about this, if they don't then it probably wasn't that big of a deal.

At worst I figure maybe there's boss weaknesses or something that'd make things easier, but you could probably guess such as throwing water and/or ice spells on fire enemies.

There are some parts of the game that require you to look into the book's contents and find specific pieces of information to answer questions and the like so having the physical copy could help there.

Let's just say that the reason the Wizard's Edition even exists is that they wanted to provide the book to people who wanted it (which explains the higher price imo) and all those other bonuses are just neat extras. I was kind of caught off guard when it was announced, but within 20 hours of the announcement I preordered it.

madhtr

Think of it as a guide. It's not required to play the game, but rather to give more information about the game to help you out as you play.

Why would you say that? The gi review is a fucking mockery and anyone baited by it deserves 1000 lashes bare assed. The story is exceptional going by the import.......

Lazlo

...but you could probably guess such as throwing water and/or ice spells on fire enemies.

Considering some people here couldn't figure out that fire would hurt the wood boss and ice would hurt the fire boss in the demo who knows what joe public will do. I guess that's why there are strategy guides...

Top Bottom