• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

JebusF

Neo Member
It's why having Downloadable Games stonewalled from GotY at GameTrailers was such an abhorrent stance: no, not as many people worked on those games (normally), but if they're that much better than the ones with tons of people working on them and loads of money then maybe something's deeply wrong with the AAA model?

BRAVO!

I was really disappointed with the demo
until I realized you could move freely

So much fun after that. Can't wait any longer for this game!

I had this same experience... my creature was getting destroyed by the boss so I pulled him out. Next thing I know, the boy is facing the camera and I'm thinking, "How come he's not even looking at the enemy!?"

I hope I'll be able to get this game. My only fear is that I won't be able to finish it... (I have many unfinished RPGs, sadly)

Peagles

Are the voices the same as the DS game? Cos I adore those! I've only played a bit of it though.

ORIBAAAAAAAA!

I love the demo. I will catch this game when it goes on sale. it really reminds me of DQ8 for ps2

Why not support this game and the developers that made it by purchasing the game at full price? We might just see more of this kind of game if you do.

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah... I think I may spend most of my time in gaming from now on I guess. Probably easier that way...

Anyway, I've been waiting for this game from the moment I saw it. Such a beautiful looking game. Probably the best cel-shading I have seen.

Sanctuary

I love the demo. I will catch this game when it goes on sale. it really reminds me of DQ8 for ps2

Yep. It actually made me want to replay DQ8 again as well (I've been waiting for a game like DQ8 to surface again since it's day, but until now nothing has).

Vortex566

Still not played the demo, but perhaps I will wait until release day now. Could this be perhaps the best JRPG this generation?

Eusis

Still not played the demo, but perhaps I will wait until release day now. Could this be perhaps the best JRPG this generation?
On the HD consoles, maybe, but once you factor in Wii (Xenoblade) and handhelds the case become much harder. I actually kinda expect the yet to be localized Kiseki games would've been shoe-ins, albeit that might be more like arguing Suikoden II as THE best 32-bit RPG: there's a case to be made, but it's probably not the one that'd be topping the big lists.

And I'm assuming the Souls games aren't being counted here. Can't see Ni No Kuni topping those for me, though I guess Namco Bandai wins either way (go ahead and call Namco Bandai the publisher of the best JRPGs this generation?)

Daedardus

Is this worth buying a PS3 for? I really loved DQIX and I want to play this game so much.
The only thing bothering me is that I'm not the target demographic for PS3. I'm more of a traditional RPG gamer and don't like to play actiony games like MGS, Uncharted, GOW,...

My Wii has died before I had the time to play Xenoblade (bought the game before that though) and I was thinking of replacing it by shelling out some cash for a Wii U. But seeing as Xenoblade is the only game I'd want to play now on the Wii, and as I can play it on my PC, I'm more willingly to buy a PS3 and wait till later this year to buy a Wii U (when the system menu has been fixed and more games have been released).

But is it wise to buy a PS3 at this stage? There are only a handful games I really want (NiNoKuni, Okami, Journey, SotC collection) and with the rumours of a PS4 announcement coming near, it would be a bit disappointing to spend 250 euro on this if the PS4 is BC.

So, Xenoblade Chronicles or Ni No Kuni?

Sanctuary

On the HD consoles, maybe, but once you factor in Wii (Xenoblade) and handhelds the case become much harder. I actually kinda expect the yet to be localized Kiseki games would've been shoe-ins, albeit that might be more like arguing Suikoden II as THE best 32-bit RPG: there's a case to be made, but it's probably not the one that'd be topping the big lists.

And I'm assuming the Souls games aren't being counted here. Can't see Ni No Kuni topping those for me, though I guess Namco Bandai wins either way (go ahead and call Namco Bandai the publisher of the best JRPGs this generation?)

As good as Xenoblade was, I still had issues with it's combat. I didn't like the fact that it essentially took control away from me, and I was only able to control one character. It's not that the combat was difficult, it's that I prefer having more choices in what's actually going on aside from selecting battle skills for party members prior to combat.

I can't see this game beating the Souls games for me either, but I really don't consider those to be JRPGs. They are action/adventure games with "some" RPG elements that just so happened to be developed by a Japanese developer.

So, Xenoblade Chronicles or Ni No Kuni?

That's not an easy answer due to the fact that nobody has actually played NNK yet. Both games have a lot to offer, but from the demo, NNK plays more like a traditional JRPG, although both seem to have "real time" combat. I don't know if you will be able to control more than a single character at a time in NNK either. Visually it's no contest though. Despite having some great aesthetics, Xenoblade's textures are ass ugly. Unless you're playing it through Dolphin of course. Then it looks pretty damn nice.

To preorder or not? I have not kept up with the details about this game but just from the hype brought is game to my attention. I do love some good jrpg but I don't have the time :( what would you guys recommend?

Vortex566

I did not include the Souls games, as I feel they are the best home console RPGs this generation. I think if you did include portable consoles; then you would find it hard to put it at number one.

RPGCrazied

To preorder or not? I have not kept up with the details about this game but just from the hype brought is game to my attention. I do love some good jrpg but I don't have the time :( what would you guys recommend?

No time? Well, this seems to be pretty jRPG average length from what I'm hearing. If you can't spare 40+ hours, then it might be hard to beat it.

danthefan

I was the exact same, I got absolutely whooped by the guy in the forest a few times, didn't realise I could move about. It became really fun then. Midway through that fight I decided to preorder.

Beren

I wish i could find the wizard's edition on Amazon, anyone has an idea when the game will be available on PSN? :)

Wes

venison crêpe
Beyond the trailer I hadn't seen much about this game, mainly due to being burnt in the past on feasting on every scrap of information and having it not live up to expectations in the end.

Today however I stumbled over someone's playthrough of the demo. I was skipping around a bit and fell across the moment Oliver steps out in to, what I imagine is, the overworld for the first time and the music started up... It was mesmerizing.

Peagles

How hard to find do you guys think a regular version of this game will end up being? Like a couple of months from now?

My prediction is... it's probably selling way better than anticipated, so maybe the first print will sell out pretty quick then there will be a period where you won't be able to get it, but then they'll do a reprint and it'll be available again. A bit like those Atlus DS games that get one printing, sell out, then get scalped on eBay for 4x RRP, then get reprinted and everyone is like YAY but then they sell out again and the cycle starts again.

But maybe not quite as hard to find, I dunno.

I'm in New Zealand and I read we are only getting one shipment of this game, so I expect it'll be very hard to find here in the coming months.

papercamm

How hard to find do you guys think a regular version of this game will end up being? Like a couple of months from now?
Months? Not too hard I'd imagine, but since things are moving to digital I'd make a wild guess that they'd be hard or at least difficult to come by in a year.

Peagles

What's the difference between US and EU versions of Wizard's Edition? I had the Eu version preordered.

US gets some extra stuff, like a coin, a soundtrack, and some art cards...

Bastards, lol.

EU edition is still extremely sought after already though, seems to be sold out most places.

JehutyGR

Thanks, I think i'll keep my prorder then since I ordered the Wizard's edition for 65 euros in August from Amazon and it seems to be 100 euros and sold out now in most places.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
As good as Xenoblade was, I still had issues with it's combat. I didn't like the fact that it essentially took control away from me, and I was only able to control one character. It's not that the combat was difficult, it's that I prefer having more choices in what's actually going on aside from selecting battle skills for party members prior to combat.

I can't see this game beating the Souls games for me either, but I really don't consider those to be JRPGs. They are action/adventure games with "some" RPG elements that just so happened to be developed by a Japanese developer.

That's not an easy answer due to the fact that nobody has actually played NNK yet. Both games have a lot to offer, but from the demo, NNK plays more like a traditional JRPG, although both seem to have "real time" combat. I don't know if you will be able to control more than a single character at a time in NNK either. Visually it's no contest though. Despite having some great aesthetics, Xenoblade's textures are ass ugly. Unless you're playing it through Dolphin of course. Then it looks pretty damn nice.

First, I agree, the Souls games were fantastic and maybe my favorite games of this generation.

But the Xenoblade combat was actually pretty fun, I thought. It made it easier to get into the lead character role (commanding a team but only directly controlling my own actions) instead of the "god controlling 4 minions" role.

Anyway, all fantastic games.

probably not. do you get steelcase when you pick up order? i say there's always that one person that don't pick it up or gamestop might give you theirs. won't hurt to try

It made it sound like they handed them out early like with assassin's creed 3. I don't know for sure though.

Derrick01

Banned
Thankfully I decided it was a good idea to go out today and preorder it instead of trying my luck on release. My gamestop said if they were getting any extra non-preorder copies they weren't getting more than 2 most likely.

RPGCrazied

I preordered the game in August. If I don't get a steel book, I'll be livid. It shouldn't be first come first serve, it should be available to a certain point then be done, anyone and everyone that has had preordered it early enough should get the bonus.
-

Well, I decided to call, and they had them early! I went ahead and picked up this beauty. If you have this preordered at gamestop, I'd really call them up today and see if you can pick it up. Here is some sexy pictures of it.

100_0719.jpg

100_0720.jpg

100_0721.jpg

I preordered the game in August. If I don't get a steel book, I'll be livid. It shouldn't be first come first serve, it should be available to a certain point then be done, anyone and everyone that has had preordered it early enough should get the bonus.
-

Well, I decided to call, and they had them early! I went ahead and picked up this beauty. If you have this preordered at gamestop, I'd really call them up today and see if you can pick it up. Here is some sexy pictures of it.

100_0719.jpg

100_0720.jpg

100_0721.jpg

Stopped by my local Ganestop yesterday to see if I could pick up my Steelbook. They had them, but weren't distributing them until customers pickup their reserves. They assured me that I'd get one. I'm good with that, looking forward to the 22nd.

Checked my CC this morning and digital river still hasn't charged me for the WE yet. I wonder when we'll all recurve our orders?

Top Bottom