• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Eusis

I preordered the game in August. If I don't get a steel book, I'll be livid. It shouldn't be first come first serve, it should be available to a certain point then be done, anyone and everyone that has had preordered it early enough should get the bonus.
It's why I'm waiting until launch. I decided to be a fickle asshole about this, I'll just wait and pick up whatever spares they have laying around. Though I guess I could be coming in ahead of someone who pre-ordered months back... ah well.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I was in two minds about hanging onto my white witch edition pre order, I'd probably never play it and I don't even have a working ps3 right now to play it on, but all the positive reviews convinced me to go through with it.

The fact the WWE seems to be sold out on amazon convinced me this limited edition may be one that is actually worth owning.

Game looks so good and seems to have a spirit and vibe that I've really been missing from my gaming. I haven't really gotten into any jrpgs this gen so looking forward to this.

So sad game informer gave this a 7 :( I trust them more than IGN. Nothing will stop me from playing this though. Nothing.

No reason to trust either one implicitly - both are industry stooges. I lost all respect for GI when they listed fan reaction to ME3's ending as one of the worst stories of the year. Really tells you who's side they're on.

RPGCrazied

Another thing about the case, its really shiny, probably why you can make out hair line scratches more easily. Looks holographic at times, its still a nice case. But its not the same material as the one from FF XII tin case.

papercamm

No reason to trust either one implicitly - both are industry stooges. I lost all respect for GI when they listed fan reaction to ME3's ending as one of the worst stories of the year. Really tells you who's side they're on.
I'll wait until I read the review itself before I take sides on this subject. I've only seen second hand impressions so far.

Stopped by my local Ganestop yesterday to see if I could pick up my Steelbook. They had them, but weren't distributing them until customers pickup their reserves. They assured me that I'd get one. I'm good with that, looking forward to the 22nd.

Checked my CC this morning and digital river still hasn't charged me for the WE yet. I wonder when we'll all recurve our orders?

monday is my guess. i just hope they hand out tracking numbers. don't want to play guessing games with them.

Derrick01

Banned
So sad game informer gave this a 7 :( I trust them more than IGN. Nothing will stop me from playing this though. Nothing.

I could see it coming. They follow the trends of the western dudebro industry. Most highly hyped AAA games will get 9.5s and 10s, everything else will get more realistic scores. And by realistic I mean faithful to the modern game review scale where everything that's not AAA will be 7-9.

I don't say that as someone who's butthurt over this game's score (I don't really care what this scores), I say that as a reader of GI for most of the last 4 years. They are the leader (possibly creator) of the 7-10 scale and they try to cater to the gamestop crowd, which makes sense since they're run by gamestop.

Dantis

Hey chums, considering picking this up, but I was wondering if we know how long it is? Logically, I'd expect it to be a big game because it's a JRPG, but I don't want to buy it day 1 if I can finish it in a few days.

Also, I played the demo, and the combat seemed a bit FF12-ish. Is that a fair comparison?

Gartooth

Preordered it from Amazon and I hope I will be able to play it soon. (still have to finish Dark Souls and it's DLC which may take a while)

codhand

Hey chums, considering picking this up, but I was wondering if we know how long it is? Logically, I'd expect it to be a big game because it's a JRPG, but I don't want to buy it day 1 if I can finish it in a few days.

40-50 hours main+quests.
completionist, who knows?

RPGCrazied

They have already said it would take 80+ hours to platinum it. I don't think its a short game. Even the main story probably takes a good 35 - 40 doing just the main quest with a few side quests. Much more longer if you do everything.

Tex117

Banned
I see. :( I guess they probably thought it was fair game since it was also in press material for Ni no Kuni. And from what I have seen, Ni no Kuni has a bit of a really 'long/slow' portion of the game in the beginning. It's about an hour or two before you actually get to go to the other world, I believe.

no worries, still not a big deal if it is merely in the press materials. no "real" spoilers.

Has gamespot reviewed yet? In particularly Kevin O--something...I tend to agree with most of his reviews.

Toki767

Last minute stock of Wizard's Edition will be made available tomorrow at Club Namco's store according to Ni No Kuni's Facebook page.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say it's FF12 + Tales + Pokemon. Interesting that I like it so much when I hate FF12's battle system.

I only made it a few hours into Japanese version of the game (to the point where you get your second party member), but the battle system didn't feel much like FFXII's to me at all. I really liked the battle system in FFXII (probably because it felt like an MMORPG where I could control all of the party memberS), but I just couldn't get into Ni no Kuni's battles. They were just not fun for me to play at all. Maybe it gets better later on, but combined with the slow pace of the story and the turrrrrrible Japanese voice acting (outside of Shizuku/Drippy), I just got bored with the game and stopped playing. It sure was pretty, though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Pre-ordered and with that I'll get flutterby.

I'm tempted now to take off the 23rd so I can play this.

Clott

I have been super excited to play this for the last year, and I will be goin on a work trip for 3 months, so I hope the reviews are good, or it may kill my urge to play this title.

Anyone else had to wait a really long time before they could play a really anticipated game? Plus I have P4G waitin for me when I get back, I guess there will be no summer drought for me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PS3 Trophies - Review

A serious and welcome return to form for the JRPG. In a genre hardly afraid of embracing the idea of magic, the partnership of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli demonstrates that positive wizardry can come from a development tandem. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a contender for best JRPG of the century thus far and a must buy for anyone with even a passing interest in all things world map and turn-based battle systems.

Score: 92/100

PokéKong

Wow does anyone know exactly when the restock goes live? I don't want to have canceled my The Hut order for nothing when they sell out again in a minute.

PokéKong;46522652 said:
Wow does anyone know exactly when the restock goes live? I don't want to have canceled my The Hut order for nothing when they sell out again in a minute.

why not just leave that order and try to preorder with namco ;P

Persona86

Banned

Also, I played the demo, and the combat seemed a bit FF12-ish. Is that a fair comparison?
I "think" I read somewhere 40 hours for main quest, at least over 80 for everything else, so it's a nice long RPG. (can anyone confirm this?)

Eusis

Metacritic gives too much weight to Gameinformer.
Adding the scores up and figuring out the average only puts it two points higher than Metacritic, and if it's not just one or two reviewers REALLY loving the game the average will probably jump back up before long. Also:
And the industry cares too much about Metacritic.
This.

And really, don't sweat scores so damn much, it looks like the game already got plenty of publicity owing to that IGN review and it'd improve if word of mouth stays good.

I'm looking forward to this mainly because of the protagonist and the world. It's a nice alternative to these dismal futuristic settings with angst-ridden 20-somethings.

The IGN review said completionists can expect about 80 hours.

It took me just north of 40 hours to beat Ni No Kuni, and there’s still more for me to do. I didn’t complete every last side quest and I didn’t cruise through the entirety of the game’s battle arena. Word out of Japan is that the game’s coveted Platinum Trophy could take 80 hours to get, but know this: 40 hours with Ni No Kuni won’t allow you to see nearly all the game has to offer.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone have an idea why the DS and PS3 games didn't do well in Japan? That always made me wonder.

Eusis

I'm looking forward to this mainly because of the protagonist and the world. It's a nice alternative to these dismal futuristic settings with angst-ridden 20-somethings.
I don't recall too many of those. Not many that are really interesting anyway, Gohtza in Lost Odyssey had a touch of that and I'd love to have an RPG that felt more like that throughout or at least for a longer period.
Anyone have an idea why the DS and PS3 games didn't do we'll in Japan? That always made me wonder.
In the case of the DS it's probably really simple: no one buys portable games with the intent to haul around a huge book. For PS3 though it may just be lack of interest, consoles haven't really been doing as great there since the glory days of the Famicom line or the Playstation 1.

Definitely this. Tired of so many games this generation being all about DOOM AND ANGER AND DUDEBRO AND PAIN AND so on...

Ready for a game to fill me with hope and joy. :D

chrono01

How bad/frequent are the random encounters in this? I rarely play JRPGs but I'm pretty hyped about this due to the art style and battle system.

There's no random encounters. Enemies can be seen on-screen prior to battle and will actually run away from you if you are a much higher level than them. Granted, not every battle can be avoided, but generally, you can escape the enemies if you move accordingly.

I know, on-screen enemies are incredible. Every RPG should have it.

Edit - Beaten again! /shakes fist

Top Bottom