• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Cheska

Imagine being on a very strict diet for a VERY VERY VERY long time... while you have been craving a burger all the time.

Then.... you have the best damn juicy and delicious burger you ever tested in a VERY VERY VERY long time!

This how playing Ni No Kuni feels.... it's THAT good.

Clarification please, does this mean you've been on an RPG drought and Ni No Kuni is fulfilling the craving or that the first 4 hours were slow and now you're getting to the meaty portion?

ehhh...throughout this whole gen i've had Jeanne D'Arc, Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together, FF7 Crisis Core, Valkyria Chronicles, Lunar PSP, Breath Of Fire 4, Disgaea, etc

so that JRPG drought never occurred to me. more like a "great game" drought the past year or so (and that's why i've only been playing Tactics Ogre).

Persona86

Banned
Well.... 4 hours in the game now, the best description I can give?

Imagine being on a very strict diet for a VERY VERY VERY long time... while you have been craving a burger all the time.

Then.... you have the best damn juicy and delicious burger you ever tested in a VERY VERY VERY long time!

Sounds good, can't wait.

Sometimes I make myself go really hungry so that I can REALLY enjoy my food, weird but sooo worth it haha.

Magpul

Banned
Just got a text message from Gamestop that my preorder will be available in the AM. Too bad for them I'm going to pick it up, return it, and wait on my WE from DR. Damn I hope DR doesn't fuck this up with delayed shipping and canceled orders. So hyped right now.

JohngPR

The side missions don't really net you anything besides money and food (usually, sometimes armor/ weapons), so they don't really affect the leveling of your character (unless you count the small xp boost in bounty missions). Merit awards from completing your sidequest stamp cards are good for perks in battle and outside of battle I suppose.

But there definitely is grinding involved at some points if you want to get the most out of the game. Mostly if you capture a new familiar/ evolve one, as they start at or go right back to level 1.

But playing through the game at a pretty leisurely pace I can say that rushing through this is noooot a good call.

Cool, thanks for the info.

JRPG's in general seem like a bad idea to rush through, it I can understand it can be hard when you have deadlines you need to meet.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Major criticisms were things like "old school RPG mechanics", "cheap boss battles", story/characters not as polished as the world, not enough save points (in dungeons since you can save everywhere except dungeons), limited time to choose 'Defend/Evade' in battle, and forced random encounters. The latter of which was weird since after a certain level the monsters RUN AWAY FROM YOU but until you get to that level, they chase you, obviously, just like in most RPGs where you have encounters that occur in the same manner where they detect you and run after your character.

It seems to me like the gripes were mainly because the game was 'hard'.

How the hell is "old skool RPG mechanics" that a bad thing?

Bladenic

Thank you guys so much guys........

=================================

Sounds great, I honestly haven't played a current gen RPG I truly loved since Vesperia.

Also I can't imagine how playing this game, what with the story at the beginning, must be like for you :(

zychi

Banned
any chance one of you guys who still has a gamestop with the steel book would help a fellow gaffer out? all of the gamestops in my area either
A) didnt get the steelbook
B) sold out
C) sent them back to allocate space

i'd be willing to pay shipping +$5 for the preorder + a little something extra via paypal if someone would willingly help me out.

woohoo-leo.gif

WHEN WILL MY WIZARD EDITION SHIP!!

Thank you guys so much guys........

=================================

I'm so sorry my friend, My wife just went through the same, I can only imagine how devastated you are. Enjoy this great game, my prayers are with you!!

Mudo

Perhaps you don't know the story of RPGCrazied and his copy of Xenoblade

Yeah in the end I sold 1 of the 2 copies of the game to him - my significant other did not need/want it, was just being supportive of the game's English release at the time (when we had no faith or hope that it would ever release officially in the U.S. I still can't believe it happened). I was keeping up with the Xenoblade thread a lot around the time of the European release and poor RPGcrazied was in overdrive tortured mode and did not have an easy way to get the game.

He did like the game, right???? Not sure I ever saw if he did or not since I stopped going to that thread for a long time while I was playing my copy in order to avoid spoliers.

Back on topic: I pre-ordered my copy at Gamestop last night. I haven't bought a game from them in probably a year so it was weird going in there. I'm really stoked and can't wait to stay up all night tomorrow playing =) Who is doing the strategy guide for this? I'm thinking about getting it, if it's by a decent company..

Lucent

I fear this game becoming another ToV where an excellent game got ignored by gamers that led to a reluctant publisher with future releases.

Yeah. Unfortunately, there are people like this.

Ni No Kuni looks like a great game, one that I will definitely be picking up, but not for $60. Honestly, I could understand charging that much six years ago, when the technology was brand new, but now there is simply no justification to charge that much other than sheer greed. No, I’ll wait a few months when I can pick it up for less than half that price.

Got that from this week's The Drop on the playstation blog. That person made me shake my head.

In the future...nothing but First Person Shooters.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wow, the opening was so well done, so sad. I can tell this is gonna be something really special. They just get that feel of being a little kid so right. Love the little lantern dude, like - and how the character is called Ollie!

Lucent

Wow, the opening was so well done, so sad. I can tell this is gonna be something really special. They just get that feel of being a little kid so right. Love the little lantern dude, like - and how the character is called Ollie!

I'mma call Drippy Mr. Drip Drip. Or Sir Drip. Or Walking Fire Hazard. Or guy who made some odd decisions in life.

Not sure if this has been posted, but Jim Sterling reviewed the game for Destructoid. Metascore ruined.

Well he gave it a 9, so we're still good. I was expecting a low score the way you said it.

Willectro

Banned
Back on topic: I pre-ordered my copy at Gamestop last night. I haven't bought a game from them in probably a year so it was weird going in there. I'm really stoked and can't wait to stay up all night tomorrow playing =) Who is doing the strategy guide for this? I'm thinking about getting it, if it's by a decent company..

Good job. I can't stand all the complaining when people are surprised that the game they pre-ordered online is a day or two late.

I always find his reviews so well written, even though he has a bit of a controversial reputation round these parts :p

Sometimes. Sometimes he's really juvenile or painful to read. For the most part though he comes across to me as genuine and I enjoy reading his opinion even when I completely disagree with it. The hate he gets around here is frequently unjustified and nearly always disproportionate to his relevance.

madhtr

Considering Namco Bandai is actually localizing Project X Zone (Namco X Capcom X Sega), I doubt this game alone will cause them to be wary of localizing games. This, Xillia, and Project X Zone doing well combined is something else entirely, though.

Saprol

Excited to get the game tomorrow. I totally forgot about this since watching the JPN release played on Twitch months ago until seeing the related threads on GAF. Too late on the preorder to get the steelbook case but I just shove all my games randomly on a shelf anyway.

The hate he gets around here is frequently unjustified and nearly always disproportionate to his relevance.

I enjoyed his "100% objective FFXIII review" in response to complaints about the original piece. :p

Ricker

Since they did not call and I had to go to the mall where the Gamestop is over here I went in and ask if they had them in and the guy said yes,they just finished putting an elastic band around the game and the Steelbook lol...so it's a go for tomorrow,can't wait...

Top Bottom