• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NI-OH Alpha Demo Available Until May 5 - Prepare to Die A Lot

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Glad I finally got to play the demo on its last day. Game is super fun! I kind of fucked myself, though. I was playing the NA demo on my EU account and didn't know the unlock after the first boss is downloaded through PSN. I figured it would basically work like a save transfer and those were region agnostic in previous KT games so I figured I'd take my chances. Turns out, that PSN unlock doesn't work cross region, so now I didn't get the Mark of the Whatever you're rewared with.

Oh well~ Still had loads of fun which is rewarding enough. Will surely pick this up on release and take part in possible future demos like this.

Well I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and beat that motherfucker. If there's anyone else going for a last second finish like I was, as of five minutes ago the download was still up on the store, if you're worried about it.

Edit: Wow, holy shit. At the buzzer, I guess.

Espada

Damn, I was in the middle of helping a guy kill Nue. It was down to 25% HP left when the axe came down. Now for the long wait for the release...

R.I.P Nioh Alpha Demo
4/26/2016 - 5/6/2016
4:00 am EST

I was trying to throw everything I had fighting that second boss. I kept summoning so many visitor's towards the end, but I just couldn't beat it until it kicked me out. nooooooooo!

twas fun though!

Mdk7

Damn, I was in the middle of helping a guy kill Nue. It was down to 25% HP left when the axe came down. Now for the long wait for the release...

R.I.P Nioh Alpha Demo
4/26/2016 - 5/6/2016
4:00 am EST

How did you actually get summoned?

Qvoth

demo's over? time to uninstall i guess
wtzgU.gif

Espada

How did you actually get summoned?

I selected Dazaifu temple and pressed square to enter matchmaking, from there the game paired me up with someone offering a Ochoko cup in their shrine. I helped a ridiculous amount of people beat those two bosses in the time the demo was up. Damn I'm going to miss that.

Ramune

Was trying to make my way towards the ship...but I've been working O.T. since this week began and....couldn't get my MoC last night......

Still, Day One, it was pretty awesome while it lasted! Enemies keep you on your toes, especially that guy camping out at the beginning when you have no weapon and pray to the Gods that he drops something once he's defeated....

sublimit

Banned
Unfortunatelly i didn't have the time to play this as much as i wanted to (didn't finish it) but what i played made me think that it has a lot of potential.One of the first things that they need to improve though are the animations.I also thought that the demo was a bit unbalanced?Or maybe i didn't had enough time to "git gud" ?I don't know...i'll definitely buy the actual game on day 1 though.

Revan

It really is digital crack. Now I'm withdrawing...

Same here man - knowing I can't play this anymore is really bothering me lol. I haven't enjoyed a pure combat based game like this since....probably Ninja Gaiden Sigma (never owned or played NGB until about 2 years ago).

I really don't have any complaints (except the camera and the way it fucking blows, especially during lock on) about the game and hope they don't change it too too much.

I'd love a claw like weapon (as some else said in the thread) or, my personal preference, dual katanas. Extra weapons in this game would speak ever further into its replayability.

I also suspect that we are going to see an Easter egg/homage/whatever to the Hayabusa clan and maybe even Ryu directly. I couldn't see how Team Ninja wouldn't do that.

pixelbox

Same here man - knowing I can't play this anymore is really bothering me lol. I haven't enjoyed a pure combat based game like this since....probably Ninja Gaiden Sigma (never owned or played NGB until about 2 years ago).

I really don't have any complaints (except the camera and the way it fucking blows, especially during lock on) about the game and hope they don't change it too too much.

I'd love a claw like weapon (as some else said in the thread) or, my personal preference, dual katanas. Extra weapons in this game would speak ever further into its replayability.

I also suspect that we are going to see an Easter egg/homage/whatever to the Hayabusa clan and maybe even Ryu directly. I couldn't see how Team Ninja wouldn't do that.
How about that music in the second stage? Maybe i just like that epic droning sound.

Copper

Anyone else think it's weird that they would have a limited time demo and not advertise it at all on the PS store? You would think a PS4 exclusive would be somewhere on the featured demos. It almost like they were trying to hide it. I would have never have known about this if it was not for the E3 trailer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wonder if they'd do another demo down the line kind of like how Square Enix is handling things with FF XV. Could even be the same areas but much closer to the final product, beta instead of alpha.

sublimit

Banned
Anyone else think it's weird that they would have a limited time demo and not advertise it at all on the PS store? You would think a PS4 exclusive would be somewhere on the featured demos. It almost like they were trying to hide it. I would have never have known about this if it was not for the E3 trailer.

The problem was that there were people (including me) who didn't even knew that the demo would be unplayable after the 5th.I was under the impression that the 5th would be the last day it was available for download.

Gonna be honest I played a bit last night and nothing really impressed me. As a long time Souls fan, I really didn't find anything I liked. I'm sure there was something good there and I will give it a second go at some point. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time.

Revan

How about that music in the second stage? Maybe i just like that epic droning sound.

I thought the music was well done, if not a little subdued. The score isn't anywhere near other games but for what the game is trying to accomplish I thought it was good - no complaints.

Caderfix

At first I didn't like it, just like I didn't like Demon's Souls back in the day, but I saw there was something there. Once I realized how the game worked and how I should behave, it became amazing, honestly.

I love how much you depend of your skill as a player, your timing, stance and attack choices, movimentation, etc. That first level is extremely well balanced and fun if you enjoy that methodical approach.

I was able to get the mark of the conqueror 10 minutes before the alpha closure and, man, that was as satisfying as it was tough. I really enjoyed what I've played so far.

The one thing I don't like is how the running works... t could be a bit more fluid. When you're running and the character starts to "stutter" it gets somewhat annoying.

I really hope there'll be a Beta demo out at some point. I can't take the wait, this demo was too fucking good and I'm already feeling the withdrawal.

Some random thoughts:

-The map shows the area we got to see on the map screen as a specific region. While staring at it I started to wonder whether we'll be kind of traversing Japan's different regions in the final game. The region thing combined with the real life story of the protagonist makes me think so.
-The area descriptions in the loading screens made me wonder if the levels will be separate pieces of these specific areas. For example, the mansion being mentioned as sitting perched atop the island and we eventually reach these areas and so on.
-Really fucking hope there'll be a snowy level...it'd be beautiful.

BumRush

Overall, I had more fun with the alpha/demo of this game than I have with many full retail games. It's going to be amazing playing the full game.

Overall, I had more fun with the alpha/demo of this game than I have with many full retail games. It's going to be amazing playing the full game.

Yes, I's my GotY so far actually. Granted, I haven't played that many games, but the most fun combat since Bloodborne for me.

zma1013

I got lucky and apparently summoned in a Nioh god who took me through the entirety of the demo to the end and we beat the boss just as I ran out of time to play last night so I got the download. He appeared to be way more powerful than me so I'm not sure if it matches based on level or just matched at random. There was no way I was getting it done on time on my own.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wasn't feeling the game, it feels more like Ninja Gaiden with a stamina meter. The main character feels really light on his feet and made me miss the weight of Dark Souls characters.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's over. :(
Can we please get a beta or something in the future if the game doesn't hit 2016 release? Cause I needs me some NI-OH. Definitely spent and had more fun with this than a lot of full retail games I've played recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0_D0nykqk

Ki Pulse video

or skip to 2:25 to see some sweet juggle combo

Damn that's bad ass. I really regret not specking lower stance because I dismissed it early on as being too weak.

the super best friends said they were making a video for it in their podcast but its not up yet, i really hope others made some, id like to see nioh get some proper love when it releases.

Yeah I was looking forward to it all week but nothing yet and I know it's not coming out tonight.

Mrmask

I had too much fun with this and spent as much time as I can these past 2 days, but gave up on the last boss when it got too late. I don't think you get anything special from Nue in the full game, right?

Anyways, I am ready to purchase day 1.

I wasn't feeling the game, it feels more like Ninja Gaiden with a stamina meter. The main character feels really light on his feet and made me miss the weight of Dark Souls characters.

Might be wrong place to ask, but is this a lot like Ninja Gaiden because I could use something similar to tide me over until this game releases.

Artdayne

Damn that's bad ass. I really regret not specking lower stance because I dismissed it early on as being too weak.

Yeah I was looking forward to it all week but nothing yet and I know it's not coming out tonight.

Yeah I noticed in a lot of videos that a lot of the really good players were using low stance a lot. It seems to be really good for taking on multiple enemies. Of course the additional mobility you get from that stance is key.

zma1013

I had too much fun with this and spent as much time as I can these past 2 days, but gave up on the last boss when it got too late. I don't think you get anything special from Nue in the full game, right?

Anyways, I am ready to purchase day 1.

Might be wrong place to ask, but is this a lot like Ninja Gaiden because I could use something similar to tide me over until this game releases.

Other than the look and familiar Ninja/Samarai setting, it's really not like Ninja Gaiden at all. It certainly doesnt play anything like it. It's very much a Dark Souls clone with it's own unique twist on stamina punishment and other things.

That being said, if you want to dart around and chop enemies to pieces, Ninja Gaiden is fantastic.

BadWolf

Nioh is basically Souls and Ninja Gaiden having a baby.

Ninja Gaiden on its own is more of a full on fast paced action game though.

HeeHo

Nioh is basically Souls and Ninja Gaiden having a baby.

Ninja Gaiden on its own is more of a full on fast paced action game though.

I would say it's a lot more like Ninja Gaiden 3 and Souls had a baby. It's a fun game, but I wouldn't want to get peoples hopes up TOO much.

I never even got to the boss though, but I was too chicken to lose all my amrita so I would keep running back to spend it.

Just want to say I fucking loved the demo, the combat system is amazing, the camera sucks, and that final boss is a sonofabitch. Made it all the way to the end only to realize I was severely underleveled, barely capable of scratching the bastard, and running out of stamina almost immediately. So I did the only sensible thing and got buck ass naked and spent the next hour throwing myself at him like the proverbial brick wall until the game booted me.

Day one.

Edit: I was a big fan of the Xbox Ninja Gaiden back in the day. Souls x Gaiden is an apt description of how this game feels and I'm really about it.

ShinMaruku

Most of the key people who made Ninja Gaiden Black are on this game with a few new people. There should be no doubt about who is making this game. Matter of fact the AI has the Hayashi AI handprint all over it.

Revan

Most of the key people who made Ninja Gaiden Black are on this game with a few new people. There should be no doubt about who is making this game. Matter of fact the AI has the Hayashi AI handprint all over it.

Based solely off of the demo it feels and plays more like NGB then NGS - which is a damned good thing in my opinion...

Dimmle

The movement is a little less fluid than I'd like and the camera is garbo tier but overall, this game has promise. I really like the way it distinguishes itself from Dark Souls with Ki charges.

Also, thanks to the guy that beat the first boss for me. I would have had it... in like two more hours.

Top Bottom