• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Alpha Demo Feedback

Kudo

6HDTvGN.jpg

REWARD
Players who clear a stage of the Alpha Demo will also be entitled to download "The Mark of the Conqueror", which will grant them special equipment in the final game. Don't miss out!

The Nioh Alpha Demo will be available for a limited time only. After this time, the demo will not be available to download or to play.
The Mark of the Conqueror will not be available to download after the Alpha Demo period is over, so please download it while you can.

FEEDBACK
We will also be conducting a survey to get your feedback on Nioh and make the final game even better. Everyone who finishes the survey will get an original Nioh wallpaper for their mobile device. Tell us what you think!

Survey Available: 4/26/2016 - 5/6/2016

For US
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_us

For EU/UK
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_uk

For Japan
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_jp

Might be little redundant but making this thread to inform people about these surveys, Koei Tecmo has been great listening to feedback earlier so if you have any complaints, improvements or anything, let them hear it.

EDIT:
Thank you to all who played the Nioh Alpha Demo! In just 10 days, over 850,000 gamers around the world took up the challenge of Nioh!

We also appreciate the tons of valuable feedback many of you also gave through our online survey. The dev team has read through the feedback and is coming up with improvements to make the final game even better. We're working on those improvements right now, and will have more information on the game soon!
In addition, it is safe to delete the Nioh Alpha Demo game data and save data. Deleting these data will not affect the Mark of the Conqueror.

OVERALL
• Add tutorials regarding the game system.
• Adjust balance mainly in the opening sections to make battles fairer.
• Improve controls and camera system.
• Improve the understandability and usability of the UI.
• Improve graphic performance

DETAILS
■ Tutorials
• Implement a training stage for tutorials on basic controls and core game
 actions.

■ Action & Controls
• Improve player & camera behavior during lock-on.
• Change the conditions under which the player character becomes
 unresponsive when the Ki Gauge is empty.
• Expand item shortcut slots.
• Revise the objects which require holding a button and the response to
 the hold input.
• Improve detection for the half-circle analog stick input.

■ Enemies
• Adjust attack and defense parameters of enemies.
• Revise enemy pursuit of the player.
• Revise superarmor (stagger/no stagger) for each enemy and attack.
• Adjust Revenant AI.

■ Level Design/Stages
• Improve exploration elements such as shortcuts, etc.
• Add hints to guide players to boss areas.
• Revise the display of objects that block the view of the player character.
• Adjust fire area damage.

■ UI
• Improve layout and displayed information.
• Adjust text size.
• When making an offering at a shrine, allow the player to perform all actions
 at once.
■ Online
• Improve online synchronization.
• Allow the host to use the Shrine menu during co-op play with a Visitor.
• Adjust the rate at which enemy parameters increase during co-op play.

■ Other
• Remove durability stat for weapons and armor.
• Adjust the drop rate for equipment.
• Add a new control type.
• Implement a flow to allow players to exit a mission.
• Fix other bugs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Removing 0 stamina punish would be a start, IMO.

I think this is probably on purpose as it forces you to learn the active reload like stamina regen or Ki pulse. If you become good at that you can basically keep attacking, dodging, etc. for a near indefinite amount of time.

Hoping that people don't shout at them to make the game easier and if they do then I hope they don't. And anything related to stamina because the system feels amazing when you know how to play. What they really need to do is make the game more accessible by teaching the player better so they know what they're doing. But I loved just discovering how to be a badass.

Already did it after I clocked up multiple hours on it and beat the 2nd boss. I hope they make the UI and HUD a bit more clearer and less chaotic. And the stance wheel on the bottom right is too big and unneeded. And the radar is pointless (unless you're using the shark companion).

Removing 0 stamina punish would be a start, IMO.

Or learn how to stop wasting stamina.

Ridley327

I think this is probably on purpose as it forces you to learn the active reload like stamina regen or Ki pulse. If you become good at that you can basically keep attacking, dodging, etc. for a near indefinite amount of time.

On top of that, enemies are just as susceptible to it, so they're just as liable to get smacked around as a result of it as you are.

Depleting an oni's stamina and going in for a grapple strike is very rewarding.

kadotsu

Banned
The difficulty is fine. I would just like a training dojo where I can get used to the stamina and other systems without having to sit through load times.

garyizraw

Banned
The stamina punishment fix is a must, and then tone down enemy damage a little. Based on the first 3 waves of enemies this game feels like it just wants me to farm for souls/money until you can level up and over power the next section of enemies. Also the lock on camera is strange (free movement) makes the combat feel funny to me.

Last thing WHY TF do I have to release the block button to attack??????????

EDIT: This game is pretty good just a slightly lackluster tutorial/explanation (i feel like I shouldn't be required to pick up the memories?). KI Pulse changes the stamina punishment.Lock on camera still needs changing to improve combat. Combat feels fast and refreshing.

Eolz

I hope people play a lot first and don't give bad feedback like it should be more like Souls (or worse, Onimusha).
It's great at being its own beast despite the obvious influences.
Would just lower the degradation rate and the number of red graves on the screen myself.
Looking forward to finish the demo before saying more.

They shouldn't remove the punishment at all, it's ridiculous.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The stamina punishment fix is a must, and then tone down enemy damage a little. Based on the first 3 waves of enemies this game feels like it just wants me to farm for souls/money until you can level up and over power the next section of enemies. Also the lock on camera is strange (free movement) makes the combat feel funny to me.

Read my post above but the stamina depletion penalty seems very much intentional to force you to start managing your stamina better and using the ki pulse to regen your stamina bar during battle. Some people are going to hate it but its a fitting punishment to get people to learn the in's and out's of the battle system which is satisfyingly deep.

Because you're blocking? Its also one of the ways you can circle strafe an enemy so that might be part of it.

GHG

You can get al the way to the first boss without leveling up at all if you know what you're doing. It's not actually that difficult.

That means the problem is down to how you are playing the game, not the game itself.

Because you use block and triangle, square and x to do certain moves?
Plus, isn't there a "just defend" mechanic? I feel like if I block late I can answer back faster. Could be just me

Fair enough, but the combat speed and actions available push me to want to play a very offensive game, so why am I being punished for being offensive?
That's just your play-style. I would level up the heart stat to make stamina recovery faster

Kyoufu

I disagree

The combat system is designed around the 0 stamina punish. The whole idea is that you need to be cognizant of your stamina gauge and not just mash offense.

Fair enough, but the combat speed and actions available push me to want to play a very offensive game, so why am I being punished for being offensive?

Plus, isn't there a "just defend" mechanic? I feel like if I block late I can answer back faster. Could be just me

Yeah there is, mid stance with katana. What it does is wreck the persons stamina meter leaving them open for an attack.

You're being punished for just swinging your weapon around.

Just the ability to tap square and start basic combos out while still holding L1 would be nice. Ease my worries in mobs to know i can jab and automatically resume my guard

Use low stance to get quick attacks in so you can dodge. Or use the spear to poke at the mobs. The midstance spear has a nice swipe that can help crowd control. Or just parry using the block and square/triangle moves.

Drencrom

Love the game overall, the combat system have some real depth and is very satisfying to master (learning how to use the active reload mechanic for stamina is just great), the level design is surprisingly good and intricate too. I also love how aggressive and agile mob enemies are and that they can basically follow/hunt you everywhere if you just run away.

But there are some things that do bug me a bit so far, like the durability depletion of weapons/armor and the loot system which should be toned down as it's just RPG bloat that detracts from actually playing the game. The first boss feels like a huge difficulty spike too (haven't beaten it yet). The lock-on system could be improved too, it feels weird and finicky but it might just be that I'm just used to Souls/Bloodborne.

garyizraw

Banned
You can get al the way to the first boss without leveling up at all if you know what you're doing. It's not actually that difficult.

That means the problem is down to how you are playing the game, not the game itself.

I believe you, I had to level up to beat that first mob. Found myself running in circles until i either ran out of stamina or chipped all the guys down.

soultron

Banned
Just the ability to tap square and start basic combos out while still holding L1 would be nice. Ease my worries in mobs to know i can jab and automatically resume my guard

But tapping square/triangle/X while holding L1 is exactly how you perform the timing-sensitive defensive countermeasures that other posters have mentioned. What you're suggesting won't work.

The defensive aspect of combat in Nioh is not like a Souls game at all. The sooner you move past your expectations in that regard, the better.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Dodging and blocking costs stamina too.

not as much, and enemies are governed by the same rules. you need to exploit that by kicking and letting them drain their stamina, specially useful for enemies with 'heavy' weapons like axes or spears.

Kudo

With the amount of items and Jutsus this game has, I feel like they should have some sort of Quick Item Menu, like the one Bloodborne has:
If you press the right side of your touchpad it takes you to the normal menu and left side would be this, you can set items you use lot there for example weapon enchants/buffs, Ki water etc. and they don't take one of your precious D-Pads.

myco666

Still need to put more time into the demo and try to learn to play it before giving feedback but as of now even with not understanding mechanics properly I think the durability is a big issue. I've burned through so many armor sets and weapons already and I haven't seen any option to repair them. This makes me have to go farm armor and weapons after trying boss a few times.

The End

Honestly... I like it a lot.

It's just enough faster than Demon's Souls to tickle my Bloodborne itch.

Fix the lock-on and you've got a sale.

Hell, don't fix it and I'll still probably buy it.

With the amount of items and Jutsus this game has, I feel like they should have some sort of Quick Item Menu, like the one Bloodborne has:

If you press the right side of your touchpad it takes you to the normal menu and left side would be this, you can set items you use lot there for example weapon enchants/buffs, Ki water etc. and they don't take one of your precious D-Pads.

I can get behind this. I was thinking while playing that I would like more options but I'm stuck with 2.

GHG

Dodging and blocking costs stamina too.

You don't have to do either of those things to dodge incoming attacks. Strafing and moving backwards is enough in a lot of cases. Just stay out of the range of your enemy's weapon for a while.

They need an option to toggle strafing badly. The only way to do it now is to tilt left stick slightly.
The camera when locked on shouldn't center Geralt in the middle. This makes it hard to read attacks from smaller enemies.
Heavy armor is crap and there is no reason to use it when it penalizes your dodge this much in exchange for very little defense. The second boss can one shot you with lightning strike(ez to dodge though).
Overall a very satisfying demo.

tonypark

I loved the demo.

I would like it if equipment would repair to 50% at least when you rest at the shrine.
Wetstone could be use to bring it up to 100% and they could reduce the drop rate of gear which would make the loot drop feel more special and reduce inventory cluster.

Gbraga

The only two things that would make the game easier but would be improvements imo would be making your character always face the opponent when locked-on and an option to repair your gear at "bonfires" for a cost.

BumRush

Lock on needs work. Durability needs work.

Otherwise, the difficulty doesn't really need fixing, they should just ease you in a little more at the very beginning. Once you get to level 8-10 and grasp the concepts the regular enemies become a joke.

Ridley327

Still need to put more time into the demo and try to learn to play it before giving feedback but as of now even with not understanding mechanics properly I think the durability is a big issue. I've burned through so many armor sets and weapons already and I haven't seen any option to repair them. This makes me have to go farm armor and weapons after trying boss a few times.

There are two items for restoring durability: whetstones for weapons, and Nuwela (sp?) glue for armor. What's nice is that using them restores durability to all equipped slots for their respective class, so you only need one to enjoy the benefits.

It may not be such a bad idea for them to consider an option at a shrine to be able to pay for repairs in addition to those consumeables, but perhaps that's something being saved for the final game.

The only two things that would make the game easier but would be improvements imo would be making your character always face the opponent when locked-on and an option to repair your gear at "bonfires" for a cost.

The only way to constantly face the opponent now is to slightly tilt the left stick which isn't very comfortable.

I think this will totally be a thing. There are blank options at the shrines.

I would also like some kind of shop, but I think they'll add something like that on the mission select menu.

Kudo

I have a feeling we'll get some sort of weapon upgrading system, there's some blank spots on the shrines so maybe one of them will be that and once you get it you can repair gear there too.

Top Bottom