• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicola Sturgeon: 2nd Independence Referendum IS on the table - supported by manifesto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be interesting to see what Scotland would have in a post-UK budget for education. From what I can remember, Scotland is the only region on the island at the moment that provides free university education for it's residents. I imagine with all the extra money Scotland would have to invest to change it's infrastructure to adapt to independence and fees it would have to pay towards the EU weekly upon re-entering as an EU member, there'd be a good chance they'd have to start charging their own people for going to university? Seems like a possibility.

I could see the SNP having to change their policy on free prescriptions too. Is Glasgow's unemployment numbers still an issue? I remember hearing at some point it was one of, if not the highest unemployed region of the UK at some point, has that changed? So many factors to have to consider!

Would be interesting to see what Scotland would have in a post-UK budget for education. From what I can remember, Scotland is the only region on the island at the moment that provides free university education for it's residents. I imagine with all the extra money Scotland would have to invest to change it's infrastructure to adapt to independence and fees it would have to pay towards the EU weekly upon re-entering as an EU member, there'd be a good chance they'd have to start charging their own people for going to university? Seems like a possibility.

I could see the SNP having to change their policy on free prescriptions too. Is Glasgow's unemployment numbers still an issue? I remember hearing at some point it was one of, if not the highest unemployed region of the UK at some point, has that changed? So many factors to have to consider!
Regarding education, it would be easy to retain that policy as many Scottish universities already have their own quotas on how many 'free' students to offer places to (and they only earn £1820 per student per annum anyway). Rest of UK students contribute 9k to their coffers.

Prescriptions I think could be rolled back, or at least mostly subsided rather than free. The issue here is that this was Sturgeon's flagship policy when she was in charge of Health.

Unemployment here is okay, but the situation in the shipyards is tumultuous, no thanks to Better Together promising a certain number of orders and then Osborne slashing it after the No vote.

Joni

So from the news. It looks like Scotland can not negotiate a deal with Brussels before the UK leaves the EU.
It can't officially negotiate a deal. I'm betting a lot of high level players are ready to play ball.

Depending on the UK budget, wouldn't Scotland already be paying its share through the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom