• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jiraiza

Did someone say costumes?

C2TIydMVIAQeDSW.jpg

You playing on Hard?

Yeah. The lack of a save point gives me the jitters because I can't screw around, lest I start at the beginning.

DKL

It can be both!

Insofar as the demo was concerned, these sequences were kind of interesting because they seemed designed in a way where you're probably suppose to use your gun.

On Hard and Very Hard, I noticed that I didn't actually need to aim nearly as much when they switched it up like this and it was kind of like playing a shmup... but you can cheat since you still have 3D movement to a large extent lol

(like, in top down mode, you can still jump and hop over bullets, so no need to actually weave around to get around things)

Yeah. The lack of a save point gives me the jitters because I can't screw around, lest I start at the beginning.

Crap, how do check points work? And how long does it take to get back into the game?

I really emphasize this because it will determine whether or not I do Very Hard lol

Insofar as the demo was concerned, these sequences were kind of interesting because they seemed designed in a way where you're probably suppose to use your gun.

On Hard and Very Hard, I noticed that I didn't actually need to aim nearly as much when they switched it up like this and it was kind of like playing a shmup... but you can cheat since you still have 3D movement to a large extent lol

(like, in top down mode, you can still jump and hop over bullets, so no need to actually weave around to get around things)

Crap, how do check points work? And how long does it take to get back into the game?

I really emphasize this because it will determine whether or not I do Very Hard lol
Just curious lol, which difficulty did you choose?

DKL

Just curious lol, which difficulty did you choose?

I'm going all in on Very Hard, but primarily played Hard on the demo since they booted you out to the menu each time...

But yeah, I really need to know how punishing this is going to be.

cerulily

Okay, starting in 5 minutes. but live now if anyone wants to come watch from the beginning. Quote post for link
Actually i don't know how to do that :V can anyone tell me XD

LotusHD

Banned

Ah, I figured lol

I hear every now and then from people that it looks easy to beat the mobs and what not, but in actuality, they can often catch ya slipping if you're not careful lol

Yea I noticed that as well. Honestly, Hard's the way to go imo

EDIT:

I think the save point thing is because you're at the beginning? Once you get past that part, you should be good to go.

I'm going all in on Very Hard, but primarily played Hard on the demo since they booted you out to the menu each time...

Based on preview footage,
you'll need to go collect your body after a death.

Maybe people here can confirm this as true, but yea i probably wont do Vhard first playthrough, since it'll just encourage you to play boring like the demo :p

What's about this whole save point thing?

Also I don't know if to choose Hard or Very Hard, I want it to be tough but don't to be too frustrated. You can change difficulty in-game right?

DKL

Maybe people here can confirm this as true, but yea i probably wont do Vhard first playthrough, since it'll just encourage you to play boring like the demo :p

You know, this is actually kind of true: the meta in the Very Hard demo was essentially... shoot your gunz...

But I'm going to be stubborn and make this the first playthrough... then I can have fun.

But, actually, I do not know what constitutes a complete playthrough on Very Hard :v

EDIT:

Also, I don't mind
collecting the body and whatever
, but I do mind long loading screens... the preview I was looking at was rough in this area and it annoys me because it's a runback that has nothing to do with actually playing the game.

Are we getting a spoiler free thread? Any links?

This was answered on the last page:

Seconded.

Gravity Rush 2 had spoiler thread posted a few days after the game released, as people began to reach the ending.

NieR may need it slightly earlier or later (Yoko is a weird director) but the idea should be the same: Spoilers tagged in OT, discussed freely in spoiler thread.

Only 2 threads needed total.

To be clear: this is the spoiler free thread; all spoilers need to be tagged.

The spoiler thread that is created later will be where people can freely discuss the story without worrying about that.

LotusHD

Banned
What's about this whole save point thing?

Also I don't know if to choose Hard or Very Hard, I want it to be tough but don't to be too frustrated. You can change difficulty in-game right?

Go with Hard imo

I see no reason to make my first playthrough on Very Hard, one where I'm not allowed to get hit at all. Doesn't sound fun at all.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
That open world.......I have no words........why?

DKL

I assume that it'll at least be fun to travel in?

People hate on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but if you play that game on co-op and Very Hard, traveling around with your buddies is really fun, especially the parts where they let you fly.

(and, really, co-op is the only way to play: the game is designed around coordinated ultimates and the fact that the fight won't end when someone gets bopped and needs to mash pizza to come back quickly)

Samaritan

There's no preload for JP or HK?
Not seeing it in the JP store.

I cant find the game on the jp psn store, can someone help me?

So apparently it takes a couple of hours for the Japanese store page to go from accepting pre-orders (with pre-order bonuses) to accepting regular orders. Right now it's currently in that in-between time where pre-orders have closed but they haven't started accepting orders yet. That's why there's no price listed for the game currently.

So apparently it takes a couple of hours for the Japanese store page to go from accepting pre-orders (with pre-order bonuses) to accepting regular orders. Right now it's currently in that in-between time where pre-orders have closed but they haven't started accepting orders yet. That's why there's no price listed for the game currently.

how long does it take normally, more than 1 hour?

Gin-Shiio

Watching a stream, and this is a Yoko Taro game alright. I was concerned with the enemy variety prior to release, but there is plenty.

TEJ

Yoko Taro is also a wonderfully sweet dude.

I tweeted him that I was excited for nier automata, and he tweeted a thank you back and followed me. That made me happy :)

I really can't wait to dig into this game. It looks so wierd and wonderful and fun and Omgomgomgomg my excitement is intense.

LotusHD

Banned

?

Maybe after a point, they'll just straight up let you fly lol

According to the developer, you're supposed to be able to at some point. Maybe they just mean for the sections where you get to use the mech, or maybe just when you play as 9S. Who knows.

Watching a stream, and this is a Yoko Taro game alright. I was concerned with the enemy variety prior to release, but there is plenty.

Like they have different faces, or something else?

TissueBox

Got the game loaded and about an 70 min in or so, just some early thoughts:

Best fishing ever lol!

I love the visual style, the camera is used in interesting ways but that should be expected.

Brooding music is brooding, and verifiably good.

The game is indeed a bit harder than the demo even on normal, only a bit. It seems you lose more health from hits, or maybe it just seems like you do because the recovery potion things aren't applied automatically.

Any case I'm liking it so far, will try to take it slow though lol.

I've no idea, but I read that it can usually take between 2-3 hours in most cases. I was just as confused about why NieR wasn't available for purchase as you were at first, so I'm in the dark here too.

If its the same as EU store 2-3 hours is about right. Remember mkx not taking my payment and having to wait hours,despite having it preloaded.

LotusHD

Banned
Got the game loaded and about an 70 min in or so, just some early thoughts:

Best fishing ever lol!

I love the visual style, the camera is used in interesting ways but that should be expected.

Brooding music is brooding, and verifiably good.

The game is indeed a bit harder than the demo even on normal, only a bit. It seems you lose more health from hits, or maybe it just seems like you do because the recovery potion things aren't applied automatically.

Any case I'm liking it so far, will try to take it slow though lol.

Is it the best game you've played this year so far or nah
I'm bored

Vic_Viper

According to the developer, you're supposed to be able to at some point. Maybe they just mean for the sections where you get to use the mech, or maybe just when you play as 9S. Who knows.

Holy shit, if we get to pilot that mech in the open world this game will be my GOAT. Please Platinum, you wouldnt wait till the sequel to let us pilot it right? Right!? Even if its DLC or only in New Game +, ill buy that in a heartbeat

TissueBox

Is it the best game you've played this year so far or nah
I'm bored

So far it's a solid 'sh*t Square Enix'/10!! *rolls around in floor*

Though in seriousness I can't say for sure about anything 'til I've gotten further into the story I think, will inform when I get a particularly Taro twist to the face if I remember.

Top Bottom