• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

wilsonda

The demo has me intrigued but not even to buy. Will probably wait for a big price drop.

However I popped by this OT to point how unique this game is. It seamlessly transitions between different pov and genres.

Watched some early streams. The music is amazing, and the combat is as flashy as ever, but...

The world is bland, enemies aren't varied enough and the fights seem to get tedious quick. I haven't seen anything in the streams that really excited or surprised me, and I'm not sure that it looks particularly fun either.

At a time when Horizon and Zelda are coming out, a time when I just finished doing everything I possibly could in Nioh, this game lacks a "thing" to draw me towards it.

Kaizer

Banned
Watched some early streams. The music is amazing, and the combat is as flashy as ever, but...

The world is bland, enemies aren't varied enough and the fights seem to get tedious quick. I haven't seen anything in the streams that really excited or surprised me, and I'm not sure that it looks particularly fun either.

At a time when Horizon and Zelda are coming out, a time when I just finished doing everything I possibly could in Nioh, this game lacks a "thing" to draw me towards it.

I can sorta see where you're coming from, I'm watching a stream too & the game looks like a lot of fun, but in comparison to other games coming soon like Horizon, I think I'd rather wait to play this.

I probably won't end up playing this game until June honestly, since Horizon hits next week and that'll last me until Mass Effect Andromeda drops a few weeks later. Then I'm also buying Persona 5 day one so I won't have a lot of time for it.

That first boss fight was interesting.

Been watching your stream on my phone, that was definitely an interesting fight! What difficulty are you playing on?

Manzoon

Banned
Have fun everyone, non-PS4, PC-having-poor-boy here waiting patiently. I even went so far as to read the Yorha stage-play.

Jiraiza

I can sorta see where you're coming from, I'm watching a stream too & the game looks like a lot of fun, but in comparison to other games coming soon like Horizon, I think I'd rather wait to play this.

I probably won't end up playing this game until June honestly, since Horizon hits next week and that'll last me until Mass Effect Andromeda drops a few weeks later. Then I'm also buying Persona 5 day one so I won't have a lot of time for it.

Been watching your stream on my phone, that was definitely an interesting fight! What difficulty are you playing on?

Playing on Hard.
Accord's
name just came up, too.

farisr

Why would you feel bad for spending money for the game and then playing it?
I assume it's probably due to the argument that for niche games like this, people should contribute to the sales totals in the western regions as much as they can so that developers continue to find it worthwhile to release/localize these games over here. The devs just see the income coming from the JP store, or the HK store. They're not seeing that people from western regions are buying it from these stores because the game released 2 weeks earlier and included all the audio/text options their own region's release would have anyways.

de_reddy

Neo Member
For those playing it already,
Are there more shmup sections like the one at the start? I'm really hoping there are, beceause the one at the start looks promising as hell.

Hektor

Just reached a moment that got me say "Yep, that's Yoko Taro!"

For those playing it already,
Are there more shmup sections than the one at the start? I'm really hoping there is, beceause the one at the start looks promising as hell.

Had two so far

Jocund

I assume it's probably due to the argument that for niche games like this, people should contribute to the sales totals in the western regions as much as they can so that developers continue to find it worthwhile to release/localize these games over here. The devs just see the income coming from the JP store, or the HK store. They're not seeing that people from western regions are buying it from these stores because the game released 2 weeks earlier and included all the audio/text options their own region's release would have anyways.

Ah but that's why you pre-order on US/EU PSN, become impatient and purchase from the HK/JPN stores. And then cry.

Everyone wins!

I think I need to wait until I get home to play this... trying to do it on remote play just isn't happening..

especially since there are no checkpoints and I'm not that good at bullet hell games.. and it commits the sin of unskippable cutscenes.. my opinion of the game is not very high atm, but I really want it to be. The music is really good, though.

sensui-tomo

I think I need to wait until I get home to play this... trying to do it on remote play just isn't happening..

especially since there are no checkpoints and I'm not that good at bullet hell games.. and it commits the sin of unskippable cutscenes.. my opinion of the game is not very high atm, but I really want it to be. The music is really good, though.

If you want to play this game and skip the cutscenes, it isnt for you. Yoko Taro games are big on the story aspect.

fucking hell.

Looks like game shops in SEA just got bamboozled by SE. Game was promoted to be released on the 23rd of Feb in nearly all the shops I know.

Looks like we are also getting the 7th march launch date. :eek:

Edit: Would be hilarious if the same happens to the HK release too, considering it's under the same management as the SEA region.

That makes no sense. Why would they hype it up for 23rd Feb when it would be out on 7th March?

TissueBox

You could ride the animals!! Oii that's awesome! xD (Don't know if this was already revealed on a stream or something as I haven't seen those lol.)

If you want to play this game and skip the cutscenes, it isnt for you. Yoko Taro games are big on the story aspect.

I don't mean skip them the first time. I mean skip them after you've seen them once.

There's no ability to save for the entire first section of the game and it's frustrating as hell to have to watch everything over again after dying.

Brix

Heads up, the card for the same amount of yen is cheaper on play asia. Now still waiting on hong kong. For some reason the jpn psn isn't working for me to look at the price which is making me nervious.

Yeah I'm trying to go digital too, playasia physical shipment was gonna take awhile so I cancelled it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Heads up, the card for the same amount of yen is cheaper on play asia. Now still waiting on hong kong. For some reason the jpn psn isn't working for me to look at the price which is making me nervious.

The JP PSN cards aren't offered digitally on play-asia, they need to deliver the physical card to you. The HK cards are available digitally.

I was just thinking I could grab the JP version if the HK version is getting delayed to March like the poster above said it might be.

Jiraiza

Quite liking the banter going on so far.
The androids have a lot more personality than I was expecting.
What's the deal with that?

Gbraga

Are you sure you can't skip them? You could in the demo.

The JP PSN cards aren't offered digitally on play-asia, they need to deliver the physical card to you. The HK cards are available digitally.

I bought a 10k yen JP PSN card from play-asia 2 days ago and got it as a digital code. They definitely do sell them as digital codes (if you look in the digital codes section of the site, that is)

Are you sure you can't skip them? You could in the demo.

I've pressed every button I can think of to skip them.. maybe it's just these particular ones that aren't skippable.. if someone knows what button to use and I'm doing it wrong, I'd be glad to know.

I was just thinking I could grab the JP version if the HK version is getting delayed to March like the poster above said it might be.

That can't be right, or they changed their policy. That's how I got Future Tone before it came to america.

JP digital still available: http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-network-10000-yen-psn-card-jp/13/703xk3

Physical cards are listed under 'Other Buying Options'.

I could be wrong and the two game sites I checked could just be posting the press release without proper vetting of info.

Will double check tomorrow, so deleted my post.
No worries, do let us know what you find!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I bought a 10k yen JP PSN card from play-asia 2 days ago and got it as a digital code. They definitely do sell them as digital codes (if you look in the digital codes section of the site, that is)

I've pressed every button I can think of to skip them.. maybe it's just these particular ones that aren't skippable.. if someone knows what button to use and I'm doing it wrong, I'd be glad to know.

Ah ok yeah for some reason it was taking me to physical cards when I was searching... I had to manually navigate to the digital versions.

Still though, that would come out to about $80 to get a 5000 + 3000 card to purchase it from the JP store.

Hopefully HK is going to come through.

LotusHD

Banned

Can't say I agree at all with this, but then again, I've been firmly sold since the demo.

Another thing that sold me all over again is one of the boss fights I happened to catch a bit of. Shit got weird in the best way possible lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Searching Nier: Automata on Youtube filtered for today's vids only throws up so many damn streams. The temptation is frickin' horrible, but its nice to see so much interest.

TissueBox

Quite liking the banter going on so far.
The androids have a lot more personality than I was expecting.
What's the deal with that?

Yeah I guess
2B is really the odd one out when it comes to being all cold and etc. It's weird because they do seem very candid about acting so normally if 'emotions are prohibited' lol. It's even more ironic when we look at the machine situation and how the androids are reacting to them. ('They can talk?', etc.) These are definitely not programmed mindless robots; they seem to regard themselves as a kind of people.

Definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

Hold X to skip cutscenes.

Wait skip cutscenes?? I -- well alright I guess. But yeah it should be hold X. xP

Are you supposed to
lose the large sword
after the first mission, or did I fuck up?

I didn't
have it equipped
so I didn't notice right away.

Gbraga

I just came to terms with the fact that, unless I just straight up stop using youtube, I'll get spoiled on things.

I didn't look up Persona or click any Persona-related videos on youtube for many months, exactly to avoid having it in my history and influencing the recommendations. And yet, watching a video on the historical context of Nioh, I got a PERSONA 5 FINAL BOSS video recommended to me.

I just give up, there's no winning that battle anymore, might as well just stop caring about spoilers.

Top Bottom