• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Sorry, I haven't been reading up on this thread to avoid spoilers etc but I'm totally stuck. I have no idea how to move to the next major objective and all I have left in my active quest log are side missions. I feel like I've either missed something major or my game has bugged.

Can someone give me a clue on where to go? Posting links of my quest log and minimap as to avoid spoilers for other people.

http://i.imgur.com/XDHZzuF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uoWHX7a.jpg

What's the last thing you were told to do? What's the last thing you did do?

hughesta

Banned
Finished Route C

to get D do I chapter select to that last fight and make the other choice? Do I load my current save? Pls help

ramyeon

Sorry, I haven't been reading up on this thread to avoid spoilers etc but I'm totally stuck. I have no idea how to move to the next major objective and all I have left in my active quest log are side missions. I feel like I've either missed something major or my game has bugged.

Can someone give me a clue on where to go? Posting links of my quest log and minimap as to avoid spoilers for other people.

Where are you at in the story?

Main quests don't show up in the subquests menu.

Jiraiza

Have you been to the flooded city? If not that, then the forest kingdom.

Novocaine

What's the last thing you were told to do? What's the last thing you did do?

Where are you at in the story?

Main quests don't show up in the subquests menu.
I fought Adam and Even and I beat the opera singer. I explored the factory area where you first started and found a body of a deserter android there but
I don't think that was a part of the main story.

edit:

Have you been to the flooded city? If not that, then the forest kingdom.

No I have not.

ramyeon

I fought Adam and Even and I beat the opera singer. I explored the factory area where you first started and found a body of a deserter android there but
Did you go to the Machine Village after beating the Amusement Park boss?

SephLuis

Going by the map, you need to go to the
harbor area

Go to the
crater area and one of the sewer pipes acts as a entrance to this new region

I think that's it at least.

Jiraiza

edit:

No I have not.

Head back to the Bunker. Then again, the fact that Emil's on the map means you're at least at the Forest Kingdom chapter...

LotusHD

Banned
Thanks lotus! Really appreciate you chilling in this thread helping people out

No problem!

Well if beating the opera singer is the last thing you did, the next should be going to Pascal's village. There's supposed to be a robot waiting outside of where you fight the boss that is ready to take you there.

Playing this game over long stretches is really hurting my eyes and this isn't some kind of "Haha, this game looks subpar." joke, I mean literally. It's something about the bright, blinding sunlight in the city I feel. I turned the brightness down, but it's still a huge strain on my eyes. Never had this before, with any other game. Anyone else have this problem, or are my eyes just broken now in general?

Edit: Just watching videos on Youtube of the main city area has the same effect.

Xliskin

there is a pipe you can enter in the destroyed area in the middle go in there will lead you to the marker sorry for my bad description

Kiro

About to jump in this game as I'm finishing up BOTW. Do I have to replay the first half the game to do the other routes or can I just start at the split-route part? (Note: I know nothing about this game or series besides the demo I played through once.)

LotusHD

Banned
About to jump in this game as I'm finishing up BOTW. Do I have to replay the first half the game to do the other routes or can I just start at the split-route part? (Note: I know nothing about this game or series besides the demo I played through once.)

Route B will have you go through a good portion of Route A, but there will be new content, different PoV, additional backstory, etc.

Dunan

Haven't even played the game yet, but I bought the Japanese Nier: Automata World Guide and, after the first printing sold out before it was even published and a second had to be prepared, along with another printing of Grimoire Nier, it arrived yesterday.

It's beautiful, of course, and is basically this game's version of Grimoire Nier.

Some of the illustrations have strings of numbers and letters below their titles, and, Nier being Nier, I'm figuring they must be hiding something.

Long story short: yes, they are hiding something.

After deciphering some of them, I Googled for the phrases that they encode and got zero hits, so either no one has bothered to post about them online, or this decipherment is the first.

Here is an example. On page 54, there is an illustration of the abandoned city that the demo takes place in. The Japanese title is 廃墟都市調査報告 (City Ruins Survey Report) and below it is this:

e697a2e381abe6bb85e381b3e3819fe4babae9a19ee381aee6ae8be6bb93e38082

I had the toughest time figuring out what those hexadecimal numbers mean, but eventually I got it. It says
in triple-byte UTF-8 code, 既に滅びた人類の残滓。
, meaning:

"The last vestiges of humanity, already fallen."

On page 74, showing the "Resistance Camp Survey Report", another such string seems to be saying:

人の形をした愚かな傀儡。
"Stupid puppets in human form."
(with a carriage return/line feed code after, for some reason)

There are more. Page 34, the desert:
禁断の林檎を食べた者たち。"People who ate the forbidden apple."
Page 20, the bunker:
全ては滅びる為に用意されていた。"All was prepared for the destruction."
Page 38, the factory:
神が生まれし場所。"The place where God was born."

I'm hesitant to go any further because I don't want to spoil the game when I finally get and play it. I should stop now, right? Right? Are these phrases meaningful or spoilery?

Route A took me like 14 hours, doing a good amount of side stuff (I think most of it)

Route B took me like 3 or 4 doing very little side stuff. You can totally speed through it and the way they switch it up is cool

I had low expectations for the bullet hell stuff after the demo (which is also the first area) but it ended up being pretty awesome. The
ocean
section and all of the
hacking
bits are a lot of fun. Was dreading playing through the intro again and they're like
hey fuck that just play some fun shmup bits

Xliskin

I'd recommend holding onto Desert Rose, Beast Hide, and Moose Meat for quests. All state they're safe to sell and while you can always get more you might as well hold onto them for the quests.

Desert Housing area. Just follow the path you went through for the story including where you fight Adam. Go up the backside of that room (after the Adam fight it crumbles down as you race out of there). It'll pop you out into a steep area where it has sand you slide down and a path you go up along the left wall.

Found it thanks

ramyeon

Haven't even played the game yet, but I bought the Japanese Nier: Automata World Guide and, after the first printing sold out before it was even published and a second had to be prepared, along with another printing of Grimoire Nier, it arrived yesterday.

It's beautiful, of course, and is basically this game's version of Grimoire Nier.

Some of the illustrations have strings of numbers and letters below their titles, and, Nier being Nier, I'm figuring they must be hiding something.

After deciphering some of them, I Googled for the phrases that they encode and got zero hits, so either no one has bothered to post about them online, or this decipherment is the first.

Here is an example. On page 54, there is an illustration of the abandoned city that the demo takes place in. The Japanese title is 廃墟都市調査報告 (City Ruins Survey Report) and below it is this:

I had the toughest time figuring out what those hexadecimal numbers mean, but eventually I got it. It says
, meaning:

On page 74, showing the "Resistance Camp Survey Report", another such string seems to be saying:

人の形をした愚かな傀儡。

Page 20, the bunker:
Page 38, the factory:

I'm hesitant to go any further because I don't want to spoil the game when I finally get and play it. I should stop now, right? Right? Are these phrases meaningful or spoilery?
Some of them are more than others, yes. But vague enough to not be obvious out of context.

Laiza

Yes. Ideally, you should only mix them with others that are lowest possible rank, or else it loses the diamond and next thing you know you're got a Weapon Attack +7 that needs 30 slots.
You can combine chips with diamonds next to them with chips that have a cost 1 higher than they are and have no penalty for upgrading them (they just gain the normal cost increase that they would have gotten when combined with another diamond chip anyway). They'll still be diamond after the upgrade.

Is the subpar characterization something inherent to Route A? I feel like I barely know anyone eleven hours in. The music and the...moments are great and all, but thus far it just feels like an ankle-deep action game with an extremely light sprinkling of RPG elements. The shmup sequences are brain dead easy, the bosses are extremely unremarkable (with the exception of one), there's a weird amount of dead air between story beats. I dunno. I keep waiting for the Big Thing that pulls it all together and elevates it from being just 'pretty good.'

Whales

Banned

, meaning:

人の形をした愚かな傀儡。

Page 20, the bunker:
Page 38, the factory:

I only finished route A but I read your spoilers anyways because they looked interesting

I would def. stop translating these if I were you, they are kind of spoilery...

I felt the same way. They don't even really vary in damage. The only weapons that stand out are the ones with +crit.

Word.

Ancient Overlord seems to be the best. Having Crit plus creating shockwaves upon striking the machine bullets is pretty dope.

Engine Blade is also very powerful, on top of giving you some sweet effects. Other than that... yea, it's pretty interchangeable.

Cool, yea the Overlord is one one of the few I've gotten to level 3. Is there a visual indicator of crits? I can't really tell the difference between the weapon with crits and the one without, tbqh.

I think making a bee-line for chip capacity is the best thing you can do with your money.

Pumping money into the scientist is generally low priority for the reward.

And the weapons buffs become more diverse when you get them to level 4.

Yea, that makes sense. My understanding is he needs like $180k before he gives you the special items, or something close to that much. Das a lot of money. I'm at around $110k starting the second play through.

Crayon

This thread:

"Route C holy shit *bars*"

"Route C question *bars* This game..."

"I just got to C and *bars* GOTY"

"THE FEELS ON C *bars*"

I'm on B
playing as 9S
and you guys are making me want to rush through it as fast as possible, haha.

I did rush thru route b and it played well like that. Vague rB spoiler:
The combat was simpler, and much of the gameplay was similar otherwise. There where extra story beats so it was nice to keep those moving along. Plus many scenes from a where truncated or ommited.
I think of route b as a sort of companion to route a. I played it quickly and easily and I enjoyed it that way. It greatly enhances the eventual impact of route c, which I have now just started.

LotusHD

Banned
Is the subpar characterization something inherent to Route A? I feel like I barely know anyone eleven hours in. The music and the...moments are great and all, but thus far it just feels like an ankle-deep action game with an extremely light sprinkling of RPG elements. The shmup sequences are brain dead easy, the bosses are extremely unremarkable (with the exception of one), there's a weird amount of dead air between story beats. I dunno. I keep waiting for the Big Thing that pulls it all together and elevates it from being just 'pretty good.'

It is okay to wonder if there is more to the story regarding Route A... Because well, there is lol

Word.
Cool, yea the Overlord is one one of the few I've gotten to level 3. Is there a visual indicator of crits? I can't really tell the difference between the weapon with crits and the one without, tbqh..

No clue tbh, I had damage values off for the longest time lol

ramyeon

Word.

Cool, yea the Overlord is one one of the few I've gotten to level 3. Is there a visual indicator of crits? I can't really tell the difference between the weapon with crits and the one without, tbqh.

Yea, that makes sense. My understanding is he needs like $180k before he gives you the special items, or something close to that much. Das a lot of money. I'm at around $110k starting the second play through.
Crits show up a reddish colour. There's also a sound effect that plays that's almost like breaking glass or something.

I asked this before in here but don't think I got a response

Are "counter" chips only available from random drops? I lost mine near the end of Route A
in the dumb factory escape
, kills me to not have the ability to parry. Wasn't a huge issue in Route B but I hope I can get it back for the rest

The numbers will pop up in red. The odds aren't crazy high unless you stack critical chips so you may not see them pop up all too often but they're usually fairly big hits. It always looked to be like 3x damage but I didn't pay complete attention to the numbers.

Edit: Beaten. Thought I reloaded to check for replies before replying but missed it. Oops!

Edit #2:
I asked this before in here but don't think I got a response

Are "counter" chips only available from random drops? I lost mine near the end of Route A
in the dumb factory escape
, kills me to not have the ability to parry. Wasn't a huge issue in Route B but I hope I can get it back for the rest
Yeah, you can buy Counter +3 from
Emil

Holy shit it's impossible to avoid spoilers now. Just had two or three major things spoiled by scrolling through unrelated YouTube videos. I haven't even completed route A yet. I just don't have the time to play right now with work and an upcoming move.

Should I just watch all the cutscenes somewhere and read through in-game delivered plot points?

ramyeon

Holy shit it's impossible to avoid spoilers now. Just had two or three major things spoiled by scrolling through unrelated YouTube videos. I haven't even completed route A yet. I just don't have the time to play right now with work and an upcoming move.

Should I just watch all the cutscenes somewhere and read through in-game delivered plot points?
Please don't do that.

Jiraiza

Stop using YouTube, clearly.

Edit #2:
Yeah, you can buy Counter +3 from
Emil
Alright. I'll have to figure that one out lol

Pro-tip for Youtube spoilers: When a game you care about is coming out just start marking all related videos as "not interested". Idiots do that shit for every single game now, super frustrating to have recommended videos be "FINAL BOSS _____ CUTSCENE SPOILERS" with a thumbnail. Wish people would have a bit more courtesy with that

Whales

Banned
Yeah it sucks, but it seems like I can't even open Twitter or YouTube without having something spoiled. As I was saying the other day, I had something spoiled on Instagram. Nowhere is safe right now.

happened to me too with mass effect and nier

just delete any nier videos from your history and they shouldnt show up anymore..
but still, fuck spoilery titles

AwShucks

So this is doing well right? Does this mean we get a Remastered port of Nier for PS4? Pretty please?

Oh man this would make me happy. I really wish I would have replayed it sometime in the last six months. I'm getting towards the end of my Nier Automata playthroughs and I'm sad because it's almost over. Such an amazing game.

LotusHD

Banned
Thank god I got through the game without having anything big spoiled. Even the few bosses I spoiled didn't make any sense out of context, so I got lucky.

Top Bottom