• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

If you guys are having a hard time with the spoiling/youtube thing, please! Persevere! Think about Persona fans. 7 months glazing over video descriptions, avoiding threads, websites and spoilers. You already have the game in you hands! You can do it. Play it!

Offhand Ending E spoiler question
What happens when sales fall off and most everyone's save files are used up? Do you think dummy players will just be implemented to help in the ending shooting sequence?

Daouzin

If you guys are having a hard time with the spoiling/youtube thing, please! Persevere! Think about Persona fans. 7 months glazing over video descriptions, avoiding threads, websites and spoilers. You already have the game in you hands! You can do it. Play it!

What happens when sales fall off and most everyone's save files are used up? Do you think dummy players will just be implemented to help in the ending shooting sequence?

That's what I'm assuming. Either that or
they could just recycle the one's they've received.

I want to contribute so I just bought the trophies. Waiting for some of my friends to play it so we can all contribute at the same time. A spirit bomb effort, haha

Dunan

Some of them are more than others, yes. But vague enough to not be obvious out of context.

I only finished route A but I read your spoilers anyways because they looked interesting

I would def. stop translating these if I were you, they are kind of spoilery...

OK, I think I'll stop doing these for now, but I couldn't resist trying to read the Hebrew/Agrippa Celestial Alphabet ((test it out here) on pages 154 and 155. It seems that somewhere in these ruined cities are stone plaques that read:
MEAN BOS, GOD BOS, and SOUL BOS

The bosses themselves have names that are written only in this alphabet and not transliterated, which makes it seem like this time around Taro Yokoo and his cohorts really wanted us to be able to read this.

In fact, one of them uses the letter shin as if it were
the ks[/i[ sound in "Marx"
, and if they're doing that, then
"bos" above could be "box"

Here are some other boss names in that alphabet; I can't resist finding them even if they might be spoiler-ish:
ENGELS, MARS (MARX?), BOKUSHI, ADAM, EVE, PYTHAGORAS, BEAUVOIR, and GRUN.

They're a little dodgy because the alphabet doesn't distinguish E and H (using hei for both, nor U and V, but there are two kinds of S (samekh and shin, and yod is both O and Y.

I can't wait to actually play this and see what they've prepared for us. What a great mindbender the original Nier was!

ramyeon

OK, I think I'll stop doing these for now, but I couldn't resist trying to read the Hebrew/Agrippa Celestial Alphabet ((test it out here) on pages 154 and 155. It seems that somewhere in these ruined cities are stone plaques that read:
MEAN BOS, GOD BOS, and SOUL BOS

The bosses themselves have names that are written only in this alphabet and not transliterated, which makes it seem like this time around Taro Yokoo and his cohorts really wanted us to be able to read this.

In fact, one of them uses the letter shin as if it were
the ks[/i[ sound in "Marx"
, and if they're doing that, then
"bos" above could be "box"

Here are some other boss names in that alphabet; I can't resist finding them even if they might be spoiler-ish:
ENGELS, MARS (MARX?), BOKUSHI, ADAM, EVE, PYTHAGORAS, BEAUVOIR, and GRUN.

They're a little dodgy because the alphabet doesn't distinguish E and H (using hei for both, nor U and V, but there are two kinds of S (samekh and shin, and yod is both O and Y.

I can't wait to actually play this and see what they've prepared for us. What a great mindbender the original Nier was!

Those are Meat Box, God Box and Soul Box, yeah.

Probably good stuff to go back to after beating the game!

Euphor!a

Banned
Is there something I am missing about the Movement Speed chip? At +3 it gives 10% and costs 7 slots. At +8 it gives 20% and costs 21 slots.

There is no way this is intended right? Otherwise you just use two +3 chips instead of a +8 and it does the same and costs less space and it is wildly easier to attain...

Is there something I am missing about the Movement Speed chip? At +3 it gives 10% and costs 7 slots. At +8 it gives 20% and costs 21 slots.

There is no way this is intended right? Otherwise you just use two +3 chips instead of a +8 and it does the same and costs less space and it is wildly easier to attain...

From the cost of your +3 I have to imagine it's a diamond chip or was fused with one (or two) along the way to be that cheap to equip. I think regularly a +3 is closer to 12 slots? I don't recall off the top of my head.

The cost of the chips are relatively random, within reason. Certain chips have a diamond icon which seems to indicate their cost is significantly lower than what it would normally be. Fusing low-cost chips may very well give you a high ranking chip that's on par or cheaper than its lower-ranked cousins.

The best chips are typically found from fallen enemies and the like. The ones bought in stores have very high costs to account for the fact you're outright buying them rather than farming for them.

Euphor!a

Banned
The cost of the chips are relatively random, within reason. Certain chips have a diamond icon which seems to indicate their cost is significantly lower than what it would normally be. Fusing low-cost chips may very well give you a high ranking chip that's on par or cheaper than its lower-ranked cousins.

The best chips are typically found from fallen enemies and the like. The ones bought in stores have very high costs to account for the fact you're outright buying them rather than farming for them.

From the cost of your +3 I have to imagine it's a diamond chip or was fused with one (or two) along the way to be that cheap to equip. I think regularly a +3 is closer to 12 slots? I don't recall off the top of my head.

I don't have either of them yet, I was going off of a chart of diamond cost chips from level 0-8.

I don't have either of them yet, I was going off of a chart of diamond cost chips from level 0-8.

Ah, I see. I looked up a chip chart to see what you're talking about and it definitely seems that chip simply doesn't scale well and you're better off trying to get +3s with a lower slot cost.

I honestly didn't realize it went higher than +6. I thought when I was fusing that at +6 they didn't even show up in red in the listing but I probably wasn't paying enough attention.

Euphor!a

Banned
Ah, I see. I looked up a chip chart to see what you're talking about and it definitely seems that chip simply doesn't scale well and you're better off trying to get +3s with a lower slot cost.

I honestly didn't realize it went higher than +6. I thought when I was fusing that at +6 they didn't even show up in red in the listing but I probably wasn't paying enough attention.

I didn't think they went past +6 either at first until I started seeing bodies that had +7 and +8. It is not available from the standard vendors.
There is a quest in the forest that unlocks a merchant that can do it

Trickster

Uuuuuh, is the game for real right now? Think it's a post Route C spoiler, but not sure right now. Anyway here my question -
The game is asking me if I want to save a total stranger, but lose my save file. Will I actually lose my save file if I say yes?

Uuuuuh, is the game for real right now? Think it's a post Route C spoiler, but not sure right now. Anyway here my question -
The game is asking me if I want to save a total stranger, but lose my save file. Will I actually lose my save file if I say yes?
Yup,
you'll lose everything.

OniBaka

Yes,
someone saved you at the credits no?

dude

dude
Just started the game - man, talk about a strong start!
But I'm still trying to grasp the combat system - does anyone have any tips?

Kumubou

I think they're gaming the data, as there's no way the save data can possibly be a net positive unless someone is a nut and does it solo. Since most people are going to use at least one helper and you can end up using more than one (if you get hit after that point, they disappear and the game says that someone else joined up). And I'm not even sure if that's possible? People were saying that the enemies become invincible after a certain point. So the first person who finished the game would probably immediately be consumed by the second person to finish the game. So the game is manipulating the presented data in some way. The real problem is when they end up pulling the game's servers... good luck to anyone trying to finish the game 10 years from now.

I do think it is possible if the enemies never go fully invincible on you. I was a stubborn idiot and spent a couple of hours trying to finish Ending E solo -- only got up to the end of the Square-Enix Ltd. credits.

It's been said a billion times, but that whole section is brilliant, if unexpectedly positive. As an aside, I also think I understand why Taro likes shmups so much now.

Just started the game - man, talk about a strong start!
But I'm still trying to grasp the combat system - does anyone have any tips?
Learning that you can cancel pretty much any attack into almost anything else is the most important thing. You can go back and forth between light and heavy attacks, and any attack can then be canceled into a dash or a jump, and dashes can then be canceled into dah attacks. Aerial attacks have their own moves (and quickly inputting jump -> heavy results in a different attack from heavy in the air normally). You have relatively few attacks per weapon, but you have a lot of liberty in regards to how you use them.

I don't think the game even acknowledge that as a quest. It's just something that you stumble upon, investigate
and leave behind with a small part of your happiness.
Yeah,
I noticed if you ever use chapter select, those always appear again even if you've gone through it. Unless there is some final part of it I have yet to see.

Lmao Route B

Adam: The records claim humans covered their crotches as they went about their business.

Revealing ones genitals was seen as problematic so just be quiet and wear them already.

I also
Kind of felt bad for Simone at the amusement park

Ruff

Why is Jean-Pauls name bleeped out when 9S says it out aloud? I thought it was bad timing from a sound effect at first but then it happened again...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For real? Copyright allows them to have the name in text but not to speak it aloud? :s

yeah..originally it was sarte in japanese, but apparently they can't actually say the name directly in localized territories, so they could correct the subs and call him jean paul, but sarte was bleeped out

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am officilly on vacation so its time to dive in!

2ujoopZ.gif

I like this game. Yes, yes I do.

Has anyone tried maxing a fist weapon to level 4? I happened upon those demon fists and I'm pretty sure I can level them to 4 straight away, but am unsure if worth? On Route B.

LotusHD

Banned
I like this game. Yes, yes I do.

Has anyone tried maxing a fist weapon to level 4? I happened upon those demon fists and I'm pretty sure I can level them to 4 straight away, but am unsure if worth? On Route B.

I have. I mean, it's not much different from doing it for another weapon. Fists do seem to have a higher combo string if I recall correctly; said 8 instead of the usual 7.

LotusHD

Banned
So I think I beat the game? Someone please help me out here!

I have finished this game on my first playthrough.

so now i am replaying the game but now as
9S?

Do I keep playing? and do i have to replay this again?

This is now Route B. You play as 9S for a different perspective, additional insight on the bosses, along with a good amount of new content for this route, Then afterwards is Route C, which is completely new.

Lmao Route B

Adam: The records claim humans covered their crotches as they went about their business.

Revealing ones genitals was seen as problematic so just be quiet and wear them already.

I also

Yeah that part was fucked up. Some commentary on our society and how women are raised.
Especially the eating other women to get men to notice you part.

LotusHD

Banned
He is. Come on, dude already has another game releasing soon on mobile. SE knows he's a creative asset right now, of not before. Automata is tracking to be one of PGs best-selling games too, which is n u t s

It's their best game yet imo, well deserved

EdmondD

Yeah that part was fucked up. Some commentary on our society and how women are raised.

There is also a Elizabeth Bathory thing going on with Simone killing female machines to make herself more beautiful. Creepy as hell.

HeelPower

Lmao Route B

I also

Yeah,there' something to be said about why the machine's get the point across so well.

Can't quite put it into words yet ,but perhaps their apparent "innocence" makes it absurd yet emphatic.

It hits hard.It works on a primal level due to the animation and their visual design.

simtmb

This game is crashing for me fairly often, quite randomly as well. Very frustrating.

Anyone experiencing the same? Disc, PS4 Pro.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah,there' something to be said about why the machine's get the point across so well.

Can't quite put into words yet ,but perhaps their apparent "innocence" makes it absurd yet emphatic.

It hits hard.

I see stuff like this as one of those things where relying on non-humans tend to make it a lot easier to convey these type of thoughts. Where you see something that isn't human look at all the things we do without giving it much thought, and basically think to themselves "Why do humans do this?" Or they willingly do those things themselves, which makes it much easier to realize why said thing is odd, dumb, silly, etc. when you really think about it.

You see it a lot in animated films, and this game certainly doesn't lack in this regard either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do side quests work, is it clear when / where you get them, or do you have to comb the maps to find them?

I just got into the open world for the first time, and insted of going to the mission objective im just walking around finding things, or trying to, mostly just killing robots attacking the data points, but it feels like im wasting my time and should just go to where the mission told me to go.

Baalzebup

This game is crashing for me fairly often, quite randomly as well. Very frustrating.

Anyone experiencing the same? Disc, PS4 Pro.
I have the exact same combination and I've had exactly one count of the game freezing on me when trying to load the Resistance Camp. And I've more or less completed the game now, just a few loose ends to tie up.

Top Bottom