• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Endgame spoiler^ What an absolute madman, they actually did it.

I learned something very interesting here.

in the course of his/her runs, (s)he discovered that the trick is to NOT kill the big names (section headers) until all the other names are gone. As a result, he had to deal with only a few headers (the ones that spew the majority of the bullets) at all. It just skipped from "Song" all the way to "Special Thanks". Those who have spent time on this (I did about 50 runs) know that there are several other header titles including things like business divisions, legal, and so on. I personally got through 7 waves before eventually conceding. But in this case: as a result of killing the team member names before the headers, (s)he only had to deal with maybe 6 total waves and it ended. I'm somewhat disappointed, actually. I clicked this expecting someone to have done 15 minutes of godtier bullet hell dodging only to find out (s)he was able to skip tons of it with a revised technique. (S)he did a really good job of dodging in the end of course, but idunno...I was expecting them to have gone through all of those credits and won; not what it turned out to be. Armed with the proper technique to give you the shortest path to the end, I'm sure any of you can do this.

mcmmaster

Extremely pissed that the game just crashed on me during the credits for
ending d
. First time i've ever had a crash on PC as well.

For people that have finished the game, put my worries to end that I gain nothing
out of beating the shmup credit sequence without accepting any help or giving up. I got to the part where Business Division VI, Character Design and Marketing Division comes and I just get completely wrecked. Must have had about 30 attempts before it crashed so I was well determined to beat it on my own.

For people that have finished the game, put my worries to end that I gain nothing
out of beating the shmup credit sequence without out accepting any help or giving up. I got to the part where Business Division VI, Character Design and Marketing Division comes and I just get completely wrecked. Must have had about 30 attempts before it crashed so I was well determined to beat it on my own.

You gain nothing. Be at peace, my friend. It's in the spirit of the game itself to accept the help. Think about it.

Just got trough the first ending. I didnt really care for it unfortunately. But I gotta say the game overall is really good, even though I have pretty much zero understanding what is going on and I have some graphical gripes with the game. The gameplay and soundtrack alone make it worth the price tag for me personally.

Also the side quests I have done so far have been pretty fun and there has been several moments where I have been like "wtf" and then just started laughing (jackass and his tasty fish for example.)

Now im going for second playtrough and im kinda wondering what to expect.. is it just the same game or are there substantial differences and as I understand the game has multiple endings so is that something I should worry about during playtrough?

Sändersson;232849653 said:
Now im going for second playtrough and im kinda wondering what to expect.. is it just the same game or are there substantial differences and as I understand the game has multiple endings so is that something I should worry about during playtrough?
There are significant differences, major gameplay changes, and an entire perspective to the story you get.

And it doesn't end once you're done there either. Not even close.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sändersson;232849653 said:
Just got trough the first ending. I didnt really care for it unfortunately. But I gotta say the game overall is really good, even though I have pretty much zero understanding what is going on and I have some graphical gripes with the game. The gameplay and soundtrack alone make it worth the price tag for me personally.

Also the side quests I have done so far have been pretty fun and there has been several moments where I have been like "wtf" and then just started laughing (jackass and his tasty fish for example.)

Now im going for second playtrough and im kinda wondering what to expect.. is it just the same game or there substantial differences and as I understand the game has multiple endings so is that something I should worry about during playtrough?

You have much left to see in the game and many questions will absolutely be further explained and resolved(Think of ending A as merely Act 1). Put your worries to rest as even the second playthrough deviates a bit and is peppered with new revelations, cutscenes, and lots of new sidequests to help broaden the progression similarities.

VRMN

platinums for me are are only when I need something else to keep me playing the game and there is nothing left built into the game for me to do.

For DG3, I had all trophies but that, and I only did it because I wanted to see it through to the end, not because of the trophy
I'm making a point of buying most of the trophies I have no interest in getting myself. Going to buy the ones for
looking up 2B's skirt, doing the 9S equivalent, and killing friendly machines.
Just not going to do those things. That will leave the superboss objective trophies for me to earn myself.

There are significant differences, major gameplay changes, and an entire perspective to the story you get.

And it doesn't end once you're done there either. Not even close.

You have much left to see in the game and many questions will absolutely be further explained and resolved(Think of ending A as merely Act 1). Put your worries to rest as even the second playthrough deviates a bit and is peppered with new revelations, cutscenes, and lots of new sidequests to help broaden the progression similarities.

Awesome! Cant wait to continue on friday.

Astral

It sucks to hear the enemies don't scale to your level after a certain point. I'm level 79 now and everything just dies. I wanted to replay the game after doing everything but I'm not sure how fun it would be to steamroll everything.

Philippo

So i sadly got spoiled that one of the endings (?)
deletes your save file just like the original NieR
But i also heard that you
obtain a chapter select and that nothing is missable
. I presume the point of no return is super obvious so you just have to do everything before? Because i really don't want to miss anything.

Just had to make a very difficult and heart wrenching decision.....
Pascal:(

48 hours in, the game just keeps getting better and better. I haven't been this emotionally invested in a game since...The Last of Us maybe? Horizon was a great story and great game but this game tells its story in a very unique way that has just grabbed all of my attention.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what you were expecting. I think it fits what the game is going for. I liked traversing the map and it kind of felt like home by the end. I barely used fast travel. I wish there was a wall-Running mechanic to add to the fun, but I loved moving around.

What was I expecting? Less monotony, I suppose?

A good portion of the environment feels like it's barely textured and looks more like something from the PS2 era but higher res. Some environments actually look pretty cool, but I find they are pretty few and far between.

It's fine now that I have fast travel, though. If the traversal were at least more interesting, like with a wall-running mechanic, then I probably wouldn't mind so much. I found a chest that required some platforming (jumping across pillars) in the forest area, but the controls are too squirrely for precision platforming to be very fun in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm enjoying just about everything else in the game, so the drab environments are a fairly minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

Adding to this, the Half-wit Inventor quest in
The Machine Village
gives you an item somewhere between 30-40k that
spawns a tamed moose/boar at every save point.
It makes life so much easier.

Thanks! I only spent 10k on that guy and forgot about him. I have well over 100k now, so I think I'll go back and invest some more.

Taruranto

This ended up being rather underwhelming for me in the end. I didn't dislike it, I clocked 50 hours in like four days, but I really didn't feel much toward the end. I literally went "That's it? Is there more?"

I think the best parts of the plot were the ones that referenced Nier 1 directly,
Devola-Popola, Emil. Ultimately, I didn't really care for the 2B-9S drama, 2B in particular ended up being such a boring character for me. I understand what they were trying to do with her, I think the core of her character is good, but it really could have used more introspection and banters during the A route. Despite being marketed as the protagonist, 9S ended up feeling more like the actual main character. Well, him and 2A. I did like 2A on other hand, her interactions with the pod were genuinely good, but she should have gotten more screentime and got the short end of the stick as far character development good.

OST was good, but not really as good as Nier, but that was kinda expected. Still, the pieces I liked the most were the Nier 1's returns, the
Amusement Park, Simone, Machine Village
and the city area's final piece. The
Forest KIngdom's
theme was good, but I got tired of it after a while. Well, this is more nitpicking, because objectively, it would have been impossible to replicate the quality of Nier 1's OST.

I prefer Nier 1's gameplay. this Nier 2 has a better battle system and controls wonderfully, but you just mostly just fight, I loved the way Nier 1 threw you different genres and game-play styles. Oh and Nier 1's bosses felt more memorable to me.

LotusHD

Banned
This ended up being rather underwhelming for me in the end. I didn't dislike it, I clocked 50 hours in like four days, but I really didn't feel much toward the end. I literally went "That's it? Is there more?"

I think the best parts of the plot were the ones that referenced Nier 1 directly,
Devola-Popola, Emil. Ultimately, I didn't really care for the 2B-9S drama, 2B in particular ended up being such a boring character for me. I understand what they were trying to do with her, I think the core of her character is good, but it really could have used more introspection and banters during the A route. Despite being marketed as the protagonist, 9S ended up feeling more like the actual main character. Well, him and 2A. I did like 2A on other hand, her interactions with the pod were genuinely good, but she should have gotten more screentime and got the short end of the stick as far character development good.

OST was good, but not really as good as Nier, but that was kinda expected. Still, the pieces I liked the most were the Nier 1's returns, the
Amusement Park, Simone, Machine Village
and the city area final piece. The
Forest KIngdom's
theme was good, but I got tired of it after a while. Well, this is more nitpicking, because objectively, it would have been impossible to replicate Nier 1's OST quality.

I prefer Nier 1's gameplay. this Nier 2 has a better battle system and controls wonderfully, but you just mostly just fight, I loved the way Nier 1 threw you different genres and game-play styles. Oh and Nier 1's bosses felt more memorable to me.

Regarding 9S seeming like the main character, pretty sure that was what they were going for. Also disagree regarding the first game's OST being better, but that's subjective anyhow so meh.

What was I expecting? Less monotony, I suppose?

A good portion of the environment feels like it's barely textured and looks more like something from the PS2 era but higher res. Some environments actually look pretty cool, but I find they are pretty few and far between.

It's fine now that I have fast travel, though. If the traversal were at least more interesting, like with a wall-running mechanic, then I probably wouldn't mind so much. I found a chest that required some platforming (jumping across pillars) in the forest area, but the controls are too squirrely for precision platforming to be very fun in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm enjoying just about everything else in the game, so the drab environments are a fairly minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks! I only spent 10k on that guy and forgot about him. I have well over 100k now, so I think I'll go back and invest some more.
Ah, I tought you were referring to its postapocalyptic , ghost town vibes. I found it quite beautiful, at times, because i liked the art style. I ended up taking a ton of pics and wish there was a photo mode. I agree that a variety of different building types and structures would have been cool but I imagine it was more of a budget thing. I thought what the game was able to do without AAA money was quite good.
I'm glad you are liking it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when it's all over.

joanot

Does anybody know if Square usually restocks the limited editions at their online shop ?

I have been tweeting them for a week, but they don´t seem to interact directly with fans...meanwhile scalpers are doing business as usual.

Not preordering the Black Box edition gotta be one of my biggest gaming related regrets ever : (

I'm kicking myself everyday.

Does anybody know if Square usually restocks the limited editions at their online shop ?

I have been tweeting them for a week, but they don´t seem to interact directly with fans...meanwhile scalpers are doing business as usual.

Not preordering the Black Box edition gotta be one of my biggest gaming related regrets ever : (

I never played Nier and preordered the CE strictly based on the quality of the demo. Didnt even play the game on PS4 in the end and waited ten days to play it on PC

one of my best decisions ever

It doesnt look they have with FFXV. Maybe if they get enough orders? I had it reserved and canceled it. I'm an idiot. Maybe if we all sign up on the waiting list, they will reprint.

AndersK

Just went in blind. First thing that happens is
a bullet hell shooter

I'll allow it!
Nina-Dobrev-Oh-Well-Dance-Gif-On-Vampire-Diaries.gif

joanot

I never played Nier and preordered the CE strictly based on the quality of the demo. Didnt even play the game on PS4 in the end and waited ten days to play it on PC

one of my best decisions ever

z0smp.jpg

I love Platinum but this was my first Yoko Taro game and I have never been into figurines or limited editions so preordering the Black Box never went through my mind... but then I finished the GAME and I was like...fuck I need it !

Yall-Got-Any-More-Of.jpg

It doesnt look they have with FFXV. Maybe if they get enough orders? I had it reserved and canceled it. I'm an idiot. Maybe if we all sign up on the waiting list, they will reprint.

Oh well, there goes any hope...

What's with the massive difficulty spike at the beginning of Route C? Here I am around Level 35 and everything is now 40-50+ and I'm getting wrecked by every encounter

Mid-late route C spoiler.

I came back to Pascal's village after the ordeal. The sight was sad, I anticipated that his village (including the children) would be destroyed so that did not hit me too much.

I saw him, talked to him, saw that he is oblivious but at peace, felt sad but ok.

Then, he offered me his wares. Among which were the children's cores.

Man, the tears hit and then just kept rolling.

I did not anticipate that at all, could not more like.

Seeing the slides that A2 helped build did not fucking help.

Fuck this game.

killatopak

Just finished ending A. A couple of side quest that I missed since I didn't know about the point of no return. So far ending A is just okay.

Ruff

I know everyone wants "This cannot continue" for the next OT but i would be quite partial to "Shitty world, shitty game!"

Finally got around to staring this game. Beat the original NIER last night (Got all 4 endings) and it was a really special game for me, regardless of it's shortcomings and also my first Yoko Taro game. Moved on to this last night and I must say, this game is a surprise. 7 years, a bigger budget, and a different developer really did wonders for Yoko Taro. I wish the game felt a bit more rigid(?) like MGR:R as this game feels kinda loose, but overall the bled on what NIER is originally as an ARPG and the mix of platinum gameplay is really stellar. It baffles me this didn't happen sooner as we often see the genre bending stuff in Yoko Taro games as much as it is in a lot of Platinum's biggest titles. The intro going from a game in the vein of Galaga, to Senko no Ronde, to Star Fox and then all 3 all over again was an absolute blast. This really is a match made in heaven and I look forward to squeezing as much out of this game as I can before Persona 5 comes out.

Top Bottom