• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Astral

What's the best way to earn money in this game? I need it to buy all the materials I need and upgrade my weapons. I've been trying to farm machine cores but they're too rare even with Drop Rate at 90%.

LotusHD

Banned
I know everyone wants "This cannot continue" for the next OT but i would be quite partial to "Shitty world, shitty game!"

We do? I mean, I don't mind it, but I feel like there's a bunch of other cool titles we could consider if we take the time to think about it lol

What's the best way to earn money in this game? I need it to buy all the materials I need and upgrade my weapons. I've been trying to farm machine cores but they're too rare even with Drop Rate at 90%.

Go to the
Amusement Park in route A with a bunch of upgraded machine weapons equipped (for the discount) and buy a bunch of thick dictionaries from the shop down one of the side paths. Go to any shop later in route C and sell them. Repeat. You can make millions in like 15 minutes of running back and forth

Astral

Go to the
Amusement Park in route A with a bunch of upgraded machine weapons equipped (for the discount) and buy a bunch of thick dictionaries from the shop down one of the side paths. Go to any shop later in route C and sell them. Repeat. You can make millions in like 15 minutes of running back and forth

Oh so the perks stack. I had no idea. But now I need money to make money lol.

Oh so the perks stack. I had no idea. But now I need money to make money lol.

Go to the
Desert Housing Boss arena in Route C (as A2 for faster killing)
and just grind there for a bit. Lots of level 60 enemies that drop a ton of money and mats. I got maybe 90k in 25 minutes? it's a good way to get started so you can buy dictionaries

Just finished ending A. A couple of side quest that I missed since I didn't know about the point of no return. So far ending A is just okay.

Don't worry; you can go back and do them at any time after you finish the game.

Go to the

now that's a pro tip right there. though I can't say I've found money to be an issue, what with being able to sell Cores for $22k per. them things drop like candy. I don't think I've been below $300k since I finished Route A tbqh.

Astral

Don't worry; you can go back and do them at any time after you finish the game.

now that's a pro tip right there. though I can't say I've found money to be an issue, what with being able to sell Cores for $22k per. them things drop like candy. I don't think I've been below $300k since I finished Route A tbqh.

I had 33 at the end of the game and made almost a million but it all went down the drain when I bought as many upgrade materials as I could. And I STILL need more materials.

Shahed

Go to the Desert Housing conplex where you fought the boss. Set it on easy and use the Auto chips. A Drop rate up, Auto Collect and some kind of self heal. I left it like that for like 30 mins when the game plays for you since enemies infinitely respawn. Came back and made about a million selling all the random items and Chips that dropped. They also drop Shockwavw chips which are amazing in combat as well

What were the differences between Nier PS3 and Nier 360 in Japan? One of those versions never got localized over here right?

PS3 was NIER Replicant and 360 was NIER Gestalt.

Replicant has you playing as Yonah's older brother, while Gestalt has you playing as her father. There are some other variations with some of the years and dialogue, I believe. But I don't know the specifics.

Replicant wasn't localized as far as I know.

Just picked up a copy...You blokes better have not let me down. I'm expecting some Vanquish level of satisfaction in combat with some wacky philosophical story telling.

Kaizer

Banned
Man playing through Route B since yesterday and it's quite.........weird so to speak.
The random cutscenes that play at certain moments are really interesting, but also a bit confusing as well. Overall I'm enjoying my time hacking everything with 9S more than I thought I would, but I do find myself trying to speed through this repeated story content, so I can get to the good stuff. Currently up to the Forest Kingdom.

Hektor

What were the differences between Nier PS3 and Nier 360 in Japan? One of those versions never got localized over here right?

The only thing they changed is the protag (And his relationship to the character Yonah (Daughter/Sister)

nier-replicant-gestalt.png

The only one we got is Papa Nier, the left one

I had 33 at the end of the game and made almost a million but it all went down the drain when I bought as many upgrade materials as I could. And I STILL need more materials.

haha.

I didn't end up needing to buy too many mats as I have an addiction to picking up things on the ground and I thought I was expected to farm everything (too much Diablo 3). In the end, I think I only needed to buy a total of maybe 30 mats to upgrade weapons and pods. Everything else I just found.

That said, I wish I had known I didn't need to farm things like PEARLS and all the other random upgrade mats: you can buy just about everything from shops. The Park shop keeper and
Emil
have all the rare mats for sale. I could have probably shaved several hours off my total playtime had I realized (remembered) that.

Weiss

Banned
YES PERFECT. this character just exudes "taro was forced to make a character to appeal to the japanese base"

I got it in like 4 tries

I felt like that was the point. He's a spiky haired JRPG protag who believes in the power of friendship. And then the universe kicks his teeth in so he lets his hair down, gets super pissed off, and picks up big swords to kill things. He stops caring about saving the world and just wants his sister and his stability back.

I know we're never allowed to praise Brother Nier in any capacity, but there's lots about the game where he fits better.

I felt like that was the point. He's a spiky haired JRPG protag who believes in the power of friendship. And then the universe kicks his teeth in so he lets his hair down, gets super pissed off, and picks up big swords to kill things. He stops caring about saving the world and just wants his sister and his stability back.

I know we're never allowed to praise Brother Nier in any capacity, but there's lots about the game where he fits better.

I'm interested to know where you think he fits better? I have no opinion since I never played Replicant, but thinking about I feel like Dad Nier makes more sense. Though, I feel like the C ending in particular was made more for Brother Nier, but D ending makes more sense for Dad Nier imo.

So am I sick for thinking S-E, Yoko Taro and Platinum should team up to make a sequel to Xenogears

I know it's wrong but in my head it feels so right

Taruranto

YES PERFECT. this character just exudes "taro was forced to make a character to appeal to the japanese base"

Actually, IIRC Taro was the one that came up with Brother Nier, someone else had the idea for Father Nier. (His co-writer for Nier? Can't remember the name)

The story was written with Brother Nier in mind, so that's why some elements
The time skip, his relationship with Kainè and Emil
make more sense with him. This said, Father Nier>>>>Brother, the Father/Daughter bound is more unique and powerful.

Weiss

Banned
I'm interested to know where you think he fits better? I have no opinion since I never played Replicant, but thinking about I feel like Dad Nier makes more sense. Though, I feel like the C ending in particular was made more for Brother Nier, but D ending makes more sense for Dad Nier imo.

Well for starters, Emil's crush and Brother Nier's romance with Kaine is a lot less creepy when he's younger.

Plus it raises weird questions like "why doesn't Papa Nier get a fucking job" and why he's hanging around these teenagers, and then weird moments like his friendship speech to Kaine, or how the timeskip doesn't really affect him the way it completely shifts Bro Nier's character.

Mostly though, I think Bro Nier works in the context of NieR being a video game. Young protagonists on a heroic journey is a staple of games, and NieR is kind of like a parody of video games as a whole, so it feels fitting.

That, and his blinding optimism being ruthlessly, relentlessly ground into the dirt over and over until he basically turns into Caim is a hoot.

I will freely admit that Papa Nier has one glaring positive over Bro, and that is
that it makes perfect sense for a father to spend a thousand years trying to save his daughter, but a brother doing that is weird.

I feel it's the other way around regarding endings.
Papa Nier should stab Kaine because he needs to be there for Yonah. Brother Nier should sacrifice himself because he's in love with her.

TLDR: Papa Nier is a better character, Bro Nier is more fitting for the game.

Arklite

So am I sick for thinking S-E, Yoko Taro and Platinum should team up to make a sequel to Xenogears

I know it's wrong but in my head it feels so right

I suppose he'd be the best option given Takahashi is tied up. I'd rather dream of Takahashi finishing up Saga himself, but I'm down for Platinum in either wish.

Philippo

I really want this team to remake NieR Replicant after this: it's a rough gem that would shine with an overhaul.
Get Automata's graphics and batte system (plus various improvements like better RPG elements and expanded world) and it would finally get the scores it deserves.
Plus it would kind of work as a prequel/sequel to Automata.

For those who have finished the English version of Nier, here are some interesting write-ups on Brother Nier: Nier: Replicant Analysis

Use the "Next" button in the top left corner to continue reading.

Like many, upon seeing Brother Nier's design I immediately thought "oh man, I'm glad we didn't get THAT pandering cliche trash", but there's a huge blindspot in that reaction: Yoko Taro. Playing with cliches and subverting expectations is Taro's bread and butter. It should have been obvious that there was more to Brother Nier than his design would suggest.

So on Route C

Got control of A2 and unfortunately died. For the first time the game gives me a Game Over screen forcing me to load and lose a bunch of progress. Really?

This game jumps from "Holy shit this is amazing" to "This is unbelievably obnoxious" constantly.

Ruff

So on Route C

Got control of A2 and unfortunately died. For the first time the game gives me a Game Over screen forcing me to load and lose a bunch of progress. Really?

This game jumps from "Holy shit this is amazing" to "This is unbelievably obnoxious" constantly.

No more bunker, gotta back yourself up manually now.

TLDR: Papa Nier is a better character, Bro Nier is more fitting for the game.

Thanks for elaborating on these points! Pretty interesting and I'd really like to play through Replicant at some point.

On a related note, anyone know any good videos going over or have an good audio reading of the stuff in Grimoire Nier on Youtube? At work and would like to be able to listen to it while I get some stuff done.

wesStyle

Hey did anyone change their default controller bindings?

I've found Xbone controller scheme(don't think it is any different to DualShock) a bit uncomfortable to use with Evade and Pod fire on one side. So that it is impossible to fire and evade at the same time with a normal gamepad grip.

I ended up binding Evade to B and finishing game on hard but this time I was unable to dodge and aim.

And as I am planning on the second playthrough on max difficulty I was wondering what control schemes other people use?

Ruff

I've found Xbone controller scheme(don't think it is any different to DualShock) a bit uncomfortable to use with Evade and Pod fire on one side. So that it is impossible to fire and evade at the same time with a normal gamepad grip.

I ended up binding Evade to B and finishing game on hard but this time I was unable to dodge and aim.

And as I am planning on the second playthrough on max difficulty I was wondering what control schemes other people use?

I think I had podfire on LT, evade on RT, pod skill on LB and lock on RB, rest was the same

LotusHD

Banned

I had Evade (L1) and Pod Program (L2) on the left side, and Fire (R1) and Switch Weapon (R2) on the right side.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

My set up was this:
KAtzTfSl.png

And it served me pretty well.

LotusHD

Banned
I dunno how y'all can have your evade button that close to your attack buttons, just was not for me at all. It was the one decent thing I picked up from playing FFXV.

Mailbox

I dunno how y'all can have your evade button that close to your attack buttons, just was not for me at all. It was the one decent thing I picked up from playing FFXV.

I was surprised how much I liked having shoot and evade on the same side triggers and bumpers on a ds4 on steam. It really felt like the game was made for the ds4.

I can totally understand not liking the button layout if using other controllers though :p

Top Bottom