• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Let me put it this way, Route A is the low point for most. Its pretext, don't think of it as a complete normal game route, its not designed like that.

Everyone started feeling the game when they clued into what route B was doing and when route C started.
I mean I do think from a gameplay perspective that 2Bs combat shat all over 9S's shoot hack repeat, especially since with enough autoheal chips you can pretty much hack as many times as you want with no risk since by the time the hacking ends you'll be at full health again (they seriously should have stopped autoheal from working during hacking)

Mailbox

Okay, cool. Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad to know I'm nearing the end so I can see what else this game is offering. About how many hours do you think if I'm just mainlining it?

I don't recommend you mainline it. Do some sidequests.
But mainline for each of the 3 routes is 7-8 hours.

But seriously do some sidequests.

I mean I do think from a gameplay perspective that 2Bs combat shat all over 9S's shoot hack repeat, especially since with enough autoheal chips you can pretty much hack as many times as you want with no risk since by the time the hacking ends you'll be at full health again (they seriously should have stopped autoheal from working during hacking)

I wasn't really referring to the combat, but i see what you mean. I didn't like 9S's gameplay at first too, but then i started learning about using hacking as bombs, using spears as projectile weapons, and getting better at shooting and mobility and 9S felt better and better as I played as him.
But that's just me

I know. Which is why I don't understand why this happened.

And before anyone asks, no I didn't do anything of the sort in the beginning of Route A.

Oh... thats just bizarre

Jiraiza

Okay, cool. Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad to know I'm nearing the end so I can see what else this game is offering. About how many hours do you think if I'm just mainlining it?

Another 10 to 15 hours, maybe? Though I would recommend doing a few sidequests because of the context they add to the overall story.

Dartastic

I assume I don't have much longer for Route A then...
Another 10 to 15 hours, maybe? Though I would recommend doing a few sidequests because of the context they add to the overall story.
I will probably do some, but I think I'm going to just blast through route A before I do many of them.

I assume you mean that the additional 10 or 15 hours is for the ENTIRE game, and not just Route A... right?

Mailbox

Oh, i'm not gonna spoil why (there are 2 very different reasons) but if you didn't do the 6O missions (idk if you can do them after route A or not), you missed out.

Zafir

I know. Which is why I don't understand why this happened.

And before anyone asks, no I didn't do anything of the sort in the beginning of Route A.
Oh I had it wait on one of the options for ages, gone 5mins or something stupid. I thought it was cos I alt tabbed during my first playthrough, but if it doesn't actually record then... It's probably just fucking with us.
Oh, i'm not gonna spoil why (there are 2 very different reasons) but if you didn't do the 6O missions (idk if you can do them after route A or not), you missed out.
I don't believe you can. I think 6O's is exclusive to 2B and 21O's is exclusive to 9S, for obvious reasons.

I think you miss out with not doing 21O's as well though.

I will probably do some, but I think I'm going to just blast through route A before I do many of them.

I assume you mean that the additional 10 or 15 hours is for the ENTIRE game, and not just Route A... right?

Took me 16 hours for Route A, but I ran around, explored and did a bunch of sidequests. Beat the whole game at 38 hours. 55 hours to get everything else finished up before I felt I was really done.

Mailbox

Oh I had it wait on one of the options for ages, gone 5mins or something stupid. I think it was because I vaguely remember alt tabbing while doing something else.

I don't believe you can. I think 6O's is exclusive to 2B and 21O's is exclusive to 9S, for obvious reasons.

I think you miss out with not doing 21O's as well though.

Not as much though
completing 6O's sidequests makes extra onions appear in my room when starting route C.

edit: and about the vid you quoted:
The game does indeed record. I didn't have those issues at all when I played, and alt-tabbing could very well be the reason behind the problem

Took me 16 hours for Route A, but I ran around, explored and did a bunch of sidequests. Beat the whole game at 38 hours. 55 hours to get everything else finished up before I felt I was really done.

Yeah, I finished the game in 36 hours iirc. Did most of my sidequesting in route B.

I wasn't really referring to the combat, but i see what you mean. I didn't like 9S's gameplay at first too, but then i started learning about using hacking as bombs, using spears as projectile weapons, and getting better at shooting and mobility and 9S felt better and better as I played as him.
But that's just me

Oh... thats just bizarre
My problem with 9S was that his hacking was such an absurdly superior option that when fighting pretty much anything I rarely had to rely to any other means of doing damage, or even dodging (due to the fact that hacking anything beyond the most basic enemies would leave me at full health via autoheal even if I was at low health when it started)

Jiraiza

The rest of the game after route A, yes.

Mailbox

My problem with 9S was that his hacking was such an absurdly superior option that when fighting pretty much anything I rarely had to rely to any other means of doing damage, or even dodging (due to the fact that hacking anything beyond the most basic enemies would leave me at full health via autoheal even if I was at low health when it started)

There are only a couple of enemies i thought hacking made more sense with. I mostly kept to normal combat. :/

Zafir

edit: and about the vid you quoted:
The game does indeed record. I didn't have those issues at all when I played, and alt-tabbing could very well be the reason behind the problem
Makes sense. Honestly I found it pretty funny. XD

It was a nice touch.

There are only a couple of enemies i thought hacking made more sense with. I mostly kept to normal combat. :/

Hacking in my experience generally did a lot more damage and was incredibly low risk compared to any other method of combat since you take no damage while hacking until you fail, and meanwhile auto heal still works during the duration

Mailbox

Hacking in my experience generally did a lot more damage and was incredibly low risk compared to any other method of combat since you take no damage while hacking until you fail, and meanwhile auto heal still works during the duration

I guess I enjoyed spear chucking over hacking. Its probably why i wasn't tired of hacking by the end of the game

I pretty much just threw spears at everything, I rarely hacked.

Lum1n3s

Oh man this game easily dethroned a lot of titles that were in my Top 10 after beating it. Going through the new route and seeing these differences is awesome!

Question though, did I miss out on some quests though because I noticed that after I went and defeated the
Giant Sea Monster
a lot of my quests dissapeared from my quest log. Is there any way to do any of them again?

Voliko

I have to say, it's a little dissapointing how easy it is to get materials in this game after how soul crushing it was to farm for all the weapon upgrades in the original

maybe early on with 9S, but once you have your weapons levelled up, hacking is much slower.

KLoWn

End game question.

I'm currently fighting the credits, and it's boring as fuck. Is there any consequence for accepting the rescue offer?

Thanks.

LotusHD

Banned
End game question.

I'm currently fighting the credits, and it's boring as fuck. Is there any consequence for accepting the rescue offer?

Thanks.

A good consequence. Accept help, you don't have to shoulder everything alone man.

I bought this game last Friday.. got to playing it on Sunday. Got ending
W
twice... stupid me. I'm at the
Amusement Park
now. I just got to the
robot village, where I met Pascal
. Something tells me that
I could either massacre this peaceful town, or choose to talk to everyone there
. But I'm going to be nice. This game. I've never played any of Yoko Taro's other games but I am well aware of them so it's exciting to go in fresh. Also I had to change my phone background to a work safe 2B background, her design is just so gorgeous.

I have a weird question relating to a quest in Pascal's village.

In the quest Jean-Paul's Melancholy, I'm almost at the end, and there's a conversation between 2B and 9S where 9S bleeps Jean-Paul's name instead of saying it. What's that about?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

In the quest Jean-Paul's Melancholy, I'm almost at the end, and there's a conversation between 2B and 9S where 9S bleeps Jean-Paul's name instead of saying it. What's that about?

Name changed after recording because of some copyright issue.
Jean-Paul's OG name was Sartre.

spiritfox

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaactually
there is a reason it is a four letter censored word. During the course of the game they do not censor any other strong language, in audio or text form. So why would they censor it there? What other word could go there? Maybe think back to what you learn during the quest where Jackass asks you to fight machines over and over

Oh shit, that makes certain scenes in route C make so much more sense.

Ghazi

Good question, I totally forgot about this but was perplexed when it happened. If the answer is true, that's pretty interesting.

sadaiyappan

Can you stack pod programs in Nier Automata onto OS chips?

^^ Or do I have to press start, pause the game, change the POD grogram while I am in the middle of a battle? For some reason I can not get the POD program to change from the heal item menu where you press down B to heal. I'm playing on PC btw with an xbox one controller.

Also, how do you stop sliding (when you are in the desert and going downhill you press the dash slide button then your character begins to slide after the dash), I can't figure out to stop a slide quickly I keep rotating around. Sometimes if you are walking downards in the desert it starts sliding automatically. And is there an easy way to open up chests and pick up items, it is hard to get in the right spot to press the button to do that, I walk around a few times? The controls are weighty which is good in combat but it is hard to get exactly where you want.

partime

Just finished [C] and the Final Battle between
A2 & 9S

WTF this game is incredible! So much has happened in [C], and that battle?!

I picked A2 just in-case you couldn't hack with 9S, idk some enemies you can't and it's annoying. Anyway he actually hacked me?! Straight up crazy shit, luckily I have remedies for it or I would have died!

robotrock

Banned
That soundtrack really is such an achievement. I haven't really been into any album or anything in a while, but damn, this has its hooks in me.

Exentryk

Can you stack pod programs in Nier Automata onto OS chips?

^^ Or do I have to press start, pause the game, change the POD grogram while I am in the middle of a battle? For some reason I can not get the POD program to change from the heal item menu where you press down B to heal. I'm playing on PC btw with an xbox one controller.

You can only set one program to a pod. However you can have up to 3 different pods with 3 different programs, and those can be changed in combat via LEFT/RIGHT buttons.

Top Bottom