• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

1upsuper

Thanks, guys.

The thing is, don't even try maxing out all the weapons until you finish route C. Only then will you be able to get meteorites freely, and all weapon upgrade materials will become buyable.
Oh, that sounds a lot better.

I actually missed out on completing that Desert Rose quest in Route A. Hoping I can do it later.

What shop can you buy them from?

It's all split up across multiple shops:
-
The shop in the amusement mark will increase his selection as you progress until he finally has most common upgrade materials.
-
The rest of the common materials are buyable from Emil.
-
Most rare upgrade materials are buyable from Emil starting on route C if you get his rare shop selection with the weapons.
- (Major route C spoilers)
Pascal sells machine arms/legs/torsos/heads if you wiped his memory.
-
The scientist machine sells meteorites (not just meteorite shards) if you go back to him through chapter select.

Gaf - so I finished Ending A. I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest with the next part. Is it really just the same game again with the odd video insert here or there and shooting copious air robits as 2B is off kicking ass that I have previously kicked. I get it - play it again from the other perspective but I feel I am missing something. It's not, so far, the other perspective more like the same game again. 9S was already there with 2B for 90% of Ending A so I am struggling to find the motivation to keep going. Go to Resistance, Go to Desert, Go to Amusement Park - am I missing something?

I'm probably missing something and I would like to get to A2's part but this 9S retread is kinda killing me.

Roubjon

Gaf - so I finished Ending A. I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest with the next part. Is it really just the same game again with the odd video insert here or there and shooting copious air robits as 2B is off kicking ass that I have previously kicked. I get it - play it again from the other perspective but I feel I am missing something. It's not, so far, the other perspective more like the same game again. 9S was already there with 2B for 90% of Ending A so I am struggling to find the motivation to keep going. Go to Resistance, Go to Desert, Go to Amusement Park - am I missing something?

I'm probably missing something and I would like to get to A2's part but this 9S retread is kinda killing me.

Just blow through it if you aren't enjoying it. Part C of the game is 100% new, so it's worth just mainlining Part B in a few hours.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Blow through it if you want, Part C is entirely new, but you're forgetting
about the entire latter parts where 9S is gone from your party lol.

Personally spent most of my time in B.

Blow through it if you want, Part C is entirely new, but you're forgetting
about the entire latter parts where 9S is gone from your party lol.

Personally spent most of my time in B.

No I said he was with 2B for 90% of Ending A -
I was meaning that latter part when he wasn't
but yeah I thought a 'blow through it' approach would be my best bet.

Jonnax

Just started downloading Nier.
Are there difficulty settings?
I'm half tempted to play on the easiest mode due to lack of time but I know that there are some games that gate things away from you if you play on too easy of a setting.

Is there anything like that in this game?

big fake

So it has been 3 days since I finished Routes A-E and currently just exploring doing side quests/gathering pod programs.

In those 3 days I have come to the definite conclusion that this is one of my favorite games of all time. Its such a unique, and utterly beautiful experience.

I feel as I explore the world more, the more I care for it and more I appreciate its sparseness. It's empty at times but thats refreshing to me for an open world. Even the sidequests have immense payoff, either that being further insight to machines/androids/the world. It's remarkable how much fun I have doing simple fetch quests, and that's because I know the payoff will be more info on this world and its lost and lonely people.

The curiosity of what other remains of humanity might be left in these machines/androids is simply enough for me to explore this world further. Taro really outdid himself on this one, and I wonder what he could do if he was given an even bigger budget. I hope he doesn't go away like he said he will, because the world needs more NieR Automata's.

I know I'm probably really late on all this, but I just wanted to share it with all you guys and gals. I'd be surprised if Persona 5 beats this for me for GOTY, but what a year it will be if its able to trump this one of a kind masterpiece.

LotusHD

Banned
I finished Route A. That was weird as hell. Only 15 hours long too. Yay. I need to process what I played...

You're getting closer and closer...

So it has been 3 days since I finished Routes A-E and currently just exploring doing side quests/gathering pod programs.

In those 3 days I have come to the definite conclusion that this is one of my favorite games of all time. Its such a unique, and utterly beautiful experience.

I feel as I explore the world more, the more I care for it and more I appreciate its sparseness. It's empty at times but thats refreshing to me for an open world. Even the sidequests have immense payoff, either that being further insight to machines/androids/the world. It's remarkable how much fun I have doing simple fetch quests, and that's because I know the payoff will be more info on this world and its lost and lonely people.

The curiosity of what other remains of humanity might be left in these machines/androids is simply enough for me to explore this world further. Taro really outdid himself on this one, and I wonder what he could do if he was given an even bigger budget. I hope he doesn't go away like he said he will, because the world needs more NieR Automata's.

I know I'm probably really late on all this, but I just wanted to share it with all you guys and gals. I'd be surprised if Persona 5 beats this for me for GOTY, but what a year it will be if its able to trump this one of a kind masterpiece.

I felt completely the same after beating it, this was quite the good video game.

NLgSSJA.gif

Kyuur

Just finished the story mission at
the Flooded City
, have some questions about side quests!

Renegades:
I found them once under the bridge that leads to the factory, they ran away after dealing a bit of damage. I later got the fish ending and lost a ton of progress and upon trying again, they weren't there. Any tips on how to get them to re-appear, or do they show up at different locations?

Black Box:
I'm supposed to find one of the unit that were struck down at the beginning of the game's black box in the Factory. I've re-searched the area a number of times and haven't found it. It almost looks like there is a separate area I'm missing since I see a red icon on the map I haven't found near there. The elevators are also still not working strangely?

Wandering Couple:
I completed the Machine Village portion of their quest and now have to re-find them. On the map they are in an area sort of close to the resistance that I haven't been able to access (alongside another red dot I think). When the story took me to the flooded city I was sure this was where it was taking me but alas. Is it another new area I need to progress in the story to get to?

the Flooded City

Renegades:
I found them once under the bridge that leads to the factory, they ran away after dealing a bit of damage. I later got the fish ending and lost a ton of progress and upon trying again, they weren't there. Any tips on how to get them to re-appear, or do they show up at different locations?

Black Box:
I'm supposed to find one of the unit that were struck down at the beginning of the game's black box in the Factory. I've re-searched the area a number of times and haven't found it. It almost looks like there is a separate area I'm missing since I see a red icon on the map I haven't found near there. The elevators are also still not working strangely?

Wandering Couple:
I completed the Machine Village portion of their quest and now have to re-find them. On the map they are in an area sort of close to the resistance that I haven't been able to access (alongside another red dot I think). When the story took me to the flooded city I was sure this was where it was taking me but alas. Is it another new area I need to progress in the story to get to?

You just passed the point where a lot of sidequests get locked out until the next route (because
9S is not available
), including I think all 3 of those. Unfortunately it really sneaks up on you.

But for when you get those sidequests back:

Renegades:
they show up randomly at any of the 3 spots highlighted for the quest. Or they don't show up at all sometimes.

Black box:
you need to backtrack all the way to the first room where you fought the saw blade.

Wandering Couple:
they were in the Flooded City, but advancing the story locks out the quest. You need to finish the rest of that quest as soon as you reach the Flooded City (the next time).

the Flooded City

Renegades:

Black Box:

Wandering Couple:

Renegades:
If they're not at the same spot under the bridge, look on top of the Engels.

Black Box:
Go to the very first area of the factory, where you crash landed

Wandering Couple:
They're definitely in the Flooded City.They're at the halfway point, between the buildings and the road. Right before you reach the water.

the Flooded City

Okay.

Renegades:

Yeah, it's random in which of those three places they appear and in which order.

Black Box:

She's all the way back at the beginning, right were you fought the first Buzzsaw Goliath.

Wandering Couple:
Most open sidequests end after the story events in the Flooded City. This used to be the case for this quest as well, but it appears they've since patched this quest to abort as soon as you even get the Flooded City story mission from Anemone. This is likely to prevent people from losing 50,000G.

Kyuur

Renegades:
If they're not at the same spot under the bridge, look on top of the Engels.

Black Box:
Go to the very first area of the factory, where you crash landed

Wandering Couple:
They're definitely in the Flooded City.They're at the halfway point, between the buildings and the road. Right before you reach the water.

You just passed the point where a lot of sidequests get locked out until the next route (because
9S is not available
), including I think all 3 of those. Unfortunately it really sneaks up on you.

But for when you get those sidequests back:

Renegades:
they show up randomly at any of the 3 spots highlighted for the quest. Or they don't show up at all sometimes.

Black box:
you need to backtrack all the way to the first room where you fought the saw blade.

Wandering Couple:
they were in the Flooded City, but advancing the story locks out the quest. You need to finish the rest of that quest as soon as you reach the Flooded City (the next time).

Thanks guys! For the last two I guess I didn't search hard enough because I was in both of the areas :lol:

Sidequest lockout stinks! I was saving a bunch of them just for sidequest/story progression balance. Ah well, next time around it sounds like. Although one question I guess based off a comment I saw earlier in the thread:
someone said there was a flower quest only available on Route A? I got the transmission from 6O but I'm pretty sure it didn't add a quest or anything. Did I miss it somehow?

Edit -- also re: renegades
I don't recall there being 3 spots on the map, only one gigantic red circle. Besides Engels is there a third spot?

Although one question I guess based off a comment I saw earlier in the thread:
someone said there was a flower quest only available on Route A? I got the transmission from 6O but I'm pretty sure it didn't add a quest or anything. Did I miss it somehow?

Yeah, you should've gotten a mail. Reading that initiates the quest.

Edit -- also re: renegades
I don't recall there being 3 spots on the map, only one gigantic red circle. Besides Engels is there a third spot?
Under the broken bridge near the factory and on top of the building where you started your mission/fought Engels.

LotusHD

Banned
is the OST better than nier? i've been listening to automata's OTS and it is amazing,

Still holdinng off playing automata until I've played nier.

I consider it to be, but I mean hey, if someone prefers the first game's OST, it's not exactly worth arguing over since they're both utterly amazing. I just felt that Automata's OST ultimately wins out due to them implementing the music in a much more appealing way.

Ventara

is the OST better than nier? i've been listening to automata's OTS and it is amazing,

Still holdinng off playing automata until I've played nier.

I personally prefer Nier's, but as Lotus said, they're both pretty great. Automata does feature a few remixes from Nier, such as
Kaine's Salvation, Grandma, Emil's Despair and Song of the Ancients

Edit: Just realized some of the song titles are spoilery. Don't click.

Davildinho

Neo Member
Just finished third play through. Impressed with how 'nier' it felt being from a different developer. If humanity ever ends and we get implanted into machine life forms, I call dibbs on that lad who gets to be perpetually on his break!

1upsuper

Got another question for you guys. Massive ending spoilers:
So about the data erasure. I assume it's related to Ending E, after you do C and D? Can I go through E without erasing my data? I'd just like to get all the main endings done before I begin the mass farming.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So about the data erasure. I assume it's related to Ending E, after you do C and D? Can I go through E without erasing my data? I'd just like to get all the main endings done before I begin the mass farming.

No, it's just a gimmick.

I recommend erasing your data but only after you've gotten everything you wanted to get.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You can opt out of erasing your data.

I won't judge you.

>_>

<_<

Ultimadrago

I have major issues with this game's mixed bag of sidequests, but

(Route C: Sidequest - Gathering
Keepsakes
: That moment where
9S goes to the Lunar Tear garden and sets down the sword is so good.

I only wish the part was longer. That extra, relevant touch to the quest it branches from was really appreciated.

Ventara

I have major issues with this game's mixed bag of sidequests, but

(Route C: Sidequest - Gathering
Keepsakes
: That moment where
9S goes to the Lunar Tear garden and sets down the sword is so good.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome, especially with the song and all
although (finish Route C before reading)
it's a little weird as it feels like he got a little closure from 2B's death, but he still ends up going crazy over it later on.

Ruff

Man, SE has gone through nearly all the popular OST uploads of Nier on youtube and removed them. Some of them were up for like 6 years :/

Yeah, that was pretty awesome, especially with the song and all
although (finish Route C before reading)
it's a little weird as it feels like he got a little closure from 2B's death, but he still ends up going crazy over it later on.

Even in that scene
he said that he would be joining her soon. This did not help his state of mind.

Also, apparently Yoko Taro outright said
he was going crazy because he had already been infected with the virus by then - so it was a foregone conclusion.

Man, SE has gone through nearly all the popular OST uploads of Nier on youtube and removed them. Some of them were up for like 6 years :/

I admit, I was listening to the Youtube uploads so many times that I really should have just bought the thing by now.

Ventara

Even in that scene
he said that he would be joining her soon. This did not help his state of mind.

Also, apparently Yoko Taro outright said
he was going crazy because he had already been infected with the virus by then - so it was a foregone conclusion.

Eh, I felt that was more from him knowing what dangers lay in front of him. But I can buy that the virus made him crazy. Or at least made it much worse.

Eh, I felt that was more from him knowing what dangers lay in front of him. But I can buy that the virus made him crazy. Or at least made it much worse.

The really weird part is that... it's still there if you go back in routes A and B. But that's true of all the stuff you "build" in sidequests (the
slide
, the
space launch platform
).

Bringing 2B there
feels really awkward.

That reminds me, though. When you see the
sword and bag in the forest
at the end of ending D... who put those there?

Golnei

That reminds me, though. When you see the
sword and bag in the forest
at the end of ending D... who put those there?

I'd assume
Emil - being on friendly terms with 9S and company doesn't mean he has to sit by and let them throw junk in his garden.

Rainy

Banned
Beat Route C

That ending portion was really good. I liked the constant switching between 9S and A2. I also enjoyed that last battle between the two of them, I picked A2, what's the difference if you pick 9S. Also how did A2 exactly save 9S. I mean I know she sacrificed herself but....unless this is explained in another ending.

Edit: Which is what I'm guessing since starting up my save data just loads the game from the beginning haha.

1upsuper

Is there any sort of easy list floating around anywhere that just says what materials you need to buy, where you buy them, and how many to buy in order to max out all your weapons and pods? It's definitely nice to be able to buy all the stuff but it's really inefficient to go one weapon at a time.

Top Bottom