• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Beat Route C

That ending portion was really good. I liked the constant switching between 9S and A2. I also enjoyed that last battle between the two of them, I picked A2, what's the difference if you pick 9S. Also how did A2 exactly save 9S. I mean I know she sacrificed herself but....unless this is explained in another ending.

Edit: Which is what I'm guessing since starting up my save data just loads the game from the beginning haha.

I assume A2 had no way to actually remove the virus, so she had to destroy the virus by destroying the tower, the ark, and the entire machine network.

There is no need to play the whole game again. Use chapter select to jump back to the choice at the end.

Sorry for multi-posting, but all my replies have ending spoilers and some of the people I'm replying to haven't gotten to those.

I'd assume
Emil - being on friendly terms with 9S and company doesn't mean he has to sit by and let them throw junk in his garden.

Emil would just put it in his shop. Where do you think he got everything else he's selling?

Is there any sort of easy list floating around anywhere that just says what materials you need to buy, where you buy them, and how many to buy in order to max out all your weapons and pods? It's definitely nice to be able to buy all the stuff but it's really inefficient to go one weapon at a time.

When in doubt, check a guide written by the PSN trophy hunters: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/nier-automata/306046-nier-automata-supplementary-guide.html

Although now that I check, there's one weapon upgrade material you can't buy. You're going to have to kill a lot of moose and boars for hides.

Kyuur

Finished Route A and started up again immediately! Thoughts below:

The ending didn't really do much more to make me intrigued but was good none-the-less. I wasn't expecting the fake-out and thought would just need to play more for a better "happy" ending though! What did make me immediately start up again is the other mysteries from the campaign; 2A, the humans, Emil, the locked doors, etc.

Speaking of Emil -- I'm not sure if I actually started proceeded 'correctly' at the point where you enter the Replica City. I got the scanner program and had no idea where to start looking but had earlier encountered him and was told he lived deep underground. Led me to the elevator (but he was nowhere to be found)!

Latest thoughts and discoveries:

2nd playthrough has been good so far. Hacking is fun, especially the options you can when sneaking up on people. Some of the subquests that were available on Route A are kind of pathetic with it though. I defeated the YoRHa Betrayers with one hack each! I also didn't realize he still had the ability to use programs (since he doesn't start with one equipped or the previously equipped) for the longest time :lol:

Most recently I was doing a quest in the desert and came across giant heads that look like Emil. Thoroughly creeped out! Can't wait to learn more.

1upsuper

When in doubt, check a guide written by the PSN trophy hunters: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/nier-automata/306046-nier-automata-supplementary-guide.html

Although now that I check, there's one weapon upgrade material you can't buy. You're going to have to kill a lot of moose and boars for hides.

Thanks! I used that person's list of shop materials and item upgrade requirements in order to make a list, organized by shop, of how much of each material you need to buy in order to cover every upgrade. Ideally, this allows you to visit each shop just once. Going weapon by weapon requires a lot of looking things up and it's inefficient, so I'm hoping being able to buy everything you'll need all at once if you have the money (sans the items that you can't buy) will make things easier and quicker. I've spoiler-tagged it because a couple of the shops are a bit spoilery. I've also included the materials needed to upgrade the pods, listed below the weapons. I have yet to put this list into practice, though I will soon and I'll fix it as needed:

Weapons:

Amusement Park Item Shop:

90 Copper Ore - 2,700G
80 Iron Ore - 24,000G
60 Silver Ore - 90,000G
38 Gold Ore - 114,000G
85 Crystal - 25,500G
27 Pearl - 16,200G
18 Black Pearl - 54,000G
46 Pyrite - 13,800G
34 Amber - 20,400G
20 Moldavite - 60,000G

Total: 420,600G

Emil's Low-Quality Materials Item Shop:

100 Rusted Clump - 5,000G
72 Dented Plate - 36,000G
57 Titanium Alloy - 57,000G
73 Broken Key - 3,650G
34 Warped Wire - 1,700G
36 Stretched Coil - 1,800G
50 Broken Circuit - 2,500G
32 Stripped Screw 16,000G
56 Small Gear - 28,000G
48 Rusty Bolt - 24,000G
32 Crushed Nut - 16,000G
32 Dented Socket - 16,000G
50 Severed Cable - 25,000G
53 Broken Battery - 26,500G

Total: 259,150G

Emil's High-Quality Materials Item Shop:

38 Memory Alloy - 427,500G
12 Pristine Screw - 135,000G
21 Large Gear - 236,250G
18 New Bolt - 202,500G
12 Clean Nut - 135,000G
12 Sturdy Socket - 135,000G
21 Pristine Cable - 236,250G
21 Large Battery - 236,250G

Total: 1,743,750G

Pascal's Item Shop (Route C):

26 Machine Arm - 20,462G
18 Machine Leg - 14,166G
18 Machine Torso - 14,166G
16 Machine Head - 12,592G

Total: 61,386G

Scientist Machine's Item Shop (complete Half-wit Inventor side quest):

6 Meteorite Shard - 36,000G
19 Meteorite - 114,000G

Total: 150,000G

Pods:

Amusement Park Item Shop:

20 Tree Seed - 600G
10 Plant Seed - 300G
6 Tree Sap - 360G
20 Torn Book - 1,200G
10 Tech Manual - 600G
6 Thick Dictionary - 36,000G
10 Tanning Agent - 3,000G
6 Dye - 1,800G
20 Natural Rubber - 12,000G
6 Machine Oil - 9,000G
10 Filler Metal - 30,000G

Total: 94,860G

Grand total: 2,729,746G

I hope this is useful!

Quonny

This losing chip after dying twice mechanic is the dumbest idea I've had the displeasure to experience in quite a while.

Who thought this was a good idea? There's punishing and then there's completely fucking over someone for exploring. I might just send back the game. What a stupid mechanic.

Quonny

I mean the game doesn't autosave automatically. Just reload?

I can't say I've ever had that as a problem.
This is what I ended up doing. But I lost about two hours of progress. Not really wanting to go through it again.

Should've saved more, I know, but if the mechanic is so easy to circumvent then why is it even there. Just dumb.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, probably didn't need to be there. I felt like they kinda wanted to do a dark souls thing but half assed it. :p

At least you didn't lose 2 hours
by eating mackerel.

My reaction to that was the most annoyed bemusement I've ever felt in my life.

LotusHD

Banned
This is what I ended up doing. But I lost about two hours of progress. Not really wanting to go through it again.

Should've saved more, I know, but if the mechanic is so easy to circumvent then why is it even there. Just dumb.

Well like you said, you should've saved more. Having a huge 2 hour gap in a game that doesn't autosave is just asking for trouble. As for why the death mechanic is there to begin with, well you're playing as an android where your body is easily replaceable, but at the same time it makes sense that the chips would still be attached to said body.

However, you certainly can argue that in that case, that perhaps they shouldn't have the body disappear along with the chips if you die twice.

If you're playing on Normal it's very hard to even die in the first place, let alone die twice in the same area, honestly.

But even if you do die, it's such a non-issue. You either just say "Fuck it", reload your last save and everything is fine. Or, if your last save is too far back, you simply save after your first death, and reload that, if you actually failed to retrieve your body.

You got safety nets on top of safety nets.

Until you get to Route C
where the Souls mechanic is straight up disabled.

Also, joke endings can screw you over if you haven't saved in a while.

Sorry for not posting this in the spoiler thread, but it's littered with end-game stuff and I'd rather not go in there until I've fully beaten the game. That said,
I'm on my second run of the game, and I've been enjoying the little tidbits they throw in here and there that add to the story. One in particular just hit me really hard. I refought Simone, and I swear the machine in the flashbacks is Jean-Paul. That breaks my heart, realizing some of his fans have driven that far off. Obviously, he didn't directly cause her fall (though he's an ass regardless), and she's still a murderer, but I can't help but feel bad for her situation. Mostly her dialogue, where she talks about how she just wants to be noticed. Her story really didn't need to be fleshed out, but the writers took that extra step with the game, and I really appreciate it.

LotusHD

Banned
Sorry for not posting this in the spoiler thread, but it's littered with end-game stuff and I'd rather not go in there until I've fully beaten the game. That said,
I'm on my second run of the game, and I've been enjoying the little tidbits they throw in here and there that add to the story. One in particular just hit me really hard. I refought Simone, and I swear the machine in the flashbacks is Jean-Paul. That breaks my heart, realizing some of his fans have driven that far off. Obviously, he didn't directly cause her fall (though he's an ass regardless), and she's still a murderer, but I can't help but feel bad for her situation. Mostly her dialogue, where she talks about how she just wants to be noticed. Her story really didn't need to be fleshed out, but the writers took that extra step with the game, and I really appreciate it.

Yup, it's him! I recommend doing his sidequests if you haven't already.

That reminds me to go back and look more closely at that image that flashes by at the end both times. And I realized
the machine reaching up to her is Jean-Paul, now dwarfed in stature.

Which is just so maddeningly ambiguous.
Did they find each other in death? Did she hallucinate that image? Did he actually look her way, but she was now too far above him to notice?

LotusHD

Banned
That reminds me to go back and look more closely at that image that flashes by at the end both times. And I realized

Did they find each other in death? Did she hallucinate that image? Did he actually look her way, but she was now too far above him to notice?

There is no way him of all people decided to suddenly "look her way".
She definitely hallucinated that.

Or at the very least, I doubt he was actually interested in her.

Kyuur

If you're playing on Normal it's very hard to even die in the first place, let alone die twice in the same area, honestly.

But even if you do die, it's such a non-issue. You either just say "Fuck it", reload your last save and everything is fine. Or, if your last save is too far back, you simply save after your first death, and reload that, if you actually failed to retrieve your body.

You got safety nets on top of safety nets.

Until you get to Route C
where the Souls mechanic is straight up disabled.

Also, joke endings can screw you over if you haven't saved in a while.

Can vouch for this. :(

On the death mechanic, I'd rather have a few lost chips than lose progress anyways. The system lets them have penalty for death without needing to kick you back to last save.

Well, she's still thinking about him to this day. I doubt she'd reject his advances after all she did. It's not like she's popular now, she's still a loner and generally shunned by the machine community (Pascal's village is even thankful that you killed her). Honestly though, everyone's better off without the guy. I couldn't say them eventually getting together would be a good ending for her, hahaha. Probably just a passing thought as she was killed.

Yup, it's him! I recommend doing his sidequests if you haven't already.
I have!
At least, the one in route A. It was... tedious, but I don't regret doing it. Probably wouldn't have understood Simone's story as well if I had avoided it.

Yup! You got it.
Simone and Jean-Paul in this game kind of mirror the tragedy of the relationship between the real Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre. They agreed to an open partnership, but things were heavily skewed in Satre's favour and de Beauvoir felt a lot of jealousy and longing.

Anyway, definitely my favourite boss for pretty much all and every reason.

Yup! You got it.
Simone and Jean-Paul in this game kind of mirror the tragedy of the relationship between the real Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre. They agreed to an open partnership, but things were heavily skewed in Satre's favour and de Beauvoir felt a lot of jealousy and longing.

And yet it was completely the opposite of the game at the same time.
The real Sartre looked the way of many women, instead of none. The real Beauvoir criticized women who sought only men's attention and beauty. And Jean-Paul's "philosophy" in the game is deliberately written as incoherent nonsense with no actual themes.

So it could be:
1) The point is to mock all these philosophers by making them into what they denounced the most (see also Marx, Engels);
2) The point is that the machines ironically misunderstand their namesakes (see also Adam, Eve); or
3) The point is that human history itself, built on the foundation of great thinkers, preserves the names while forgetting the actual lessons.

Ferrio

Banned
This losing chip after dying twice mechanic is the dumbest idea I've had the displeasure to experience in quite a while.

Who thought this was a good idea? There's punishing and then there's completely fucking over someone for exploring. I might just send back the game. What a stupid mechanic.

The losing chip mechanic is actually more forgiving than traditional JRPG deaths. Usually you just have to reload the save when you dieand redo it all, this game you get a second chance. Even so it's still a JRPG and if you're not saving often you're going to have a bad time.

Szadek

Would you rather just lose 2 hours of progress right away?

The Souls mechanic
is one of many really shitty design decisions that basically just exists to set up something really clever later on. Whether you think the payoff justifies the setup is going to vary from person to person.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Souls mechanic
is one of many really shitty design decisions that basically just exists to set up something really clever later on. Whether you think the payoff justifies the setup is going to vary from person to person.
Wait
what does it set up?

1upsuper

Is there a list anywhere of all the hacking games and what enemies have them? My list seems to go up to 48 but I've got a couple gaps I'm trying to fill. This is like the one thing no one seems to talk about and I can't find much online. Is 48 the last one?

Also, holy shit, do I seriously need to delete my DLC in order to get Medium Flyer: Kamikaze to spawn in the desert? That is ridiculous.
Edit: Got one to spawn somewhere else. Phew.

duckroll

A lot of Nier's design isn't just about "good game design" so much as using game design as a medium to express certain ideas. The game's insistence of not having auto-save, even making it a self-parody with a character in the game telling you that the game does not auto-save, is a good example of that. That's Yoko Taro saying "you are playing a game, I want you to manually engage with it a little rather than enjoying on rails convenience, deal with it" even if auto-save would make it objectively less tedious. Compared to that, the body recovery system is at least an interesting mechanic which mimics Bioshock's concept of player respawning being explained by the in-game reality, but also having the player consider the actual consequences of such death. It's pretty neat.

wTDw34I.gif

A lot of Nier's design isn't just about "good game design" so much as using game design as a medium to express certain ideas. The game's insistence of not having auto-save, even making it a self-parody with a character in the game telling you that the game does not auto-save, is a good example of that. That's Yoko Taro saying "you are playing a game, I want you to manually engage with it a little rather than enjoying on rails convenience, deal with it" even if auto-save would make it objectively less tedious. Compared to that, the body recovery system is at least an interesting mechanic which mimics Bioshock's concept of player respawning being explained by the in-game reality, but also having the player consider the actual consequences of such death. It's pretty neat.

Plus I'm pretty sure the game is outright expecting you to save-scum some stuff, like the decisions at the end of certain quests. Except then the trick is that
you don't get a satisfying outcome either way.

Is there a list anywhere of all the hacking games and what enemies have them? My list seems to go up to 48 but I've got a couple gaps I'm trying to fill. This is like the one thing no one seems to talk about and I can't find much online. Is 48 the last one?

Also, holy shit, do I seriously need to delete my DLC in order to get Medium Flyer: Kamikaze to spawn in the desert? That is ridiculous.
Edit: Got one to spawn somewhere else. Phew.

There's no list, but I think that's because there simply aren't any hard-to-find ones (if you just keep hacking a variety of enemies). Well, that and because there's no achievement for it.

(I guess you get the elusive gadgets for pod upgrades if you play far enough, but it's enough of a pain in the ass that even grinding for gadgets is easier.)

I'm pretty confident that 48 is the last one - I recognize the last few as the boss fight patterns.

1upsuper

There's no list, but I think that's because there simply aren't any hard-to-find ones (if you just keep hacking a variety of enemies). Well, that and because there's no achievement for it.

(I guess you get the elusive gadgets for pod upgrades if you play far enough, but it's enough of a pain in the ass that even grinding for gadgets is easier.)

I'm pretty confident that 48 is the last one - I recognize the last few as the boss fight patterns.

Thanks. I hack a ton so that's why I was surprised that I was still missing a couple entries. Hopefully they'll fill up naturally as I continue playing. Is there an end to Challenge Mode, while we're on the subject? What's the highest reward tier?

Kyuur

Need a pristine screw to progress Master Servo's quest midway through my second playthrough -- they were dropping like candy from plentiful large robots earlier but now the only spawn appears to be in front of the desert and he hasn't dropped yet (seems to be dropping "better" versions). Am I screwed, at least for now?

Need a pristine screw to progress Master Servo's quest midway through my second playthrough -- they were dropping like candy from plentiful large robots earlier but now the only spawn appears to be in front of the desert and he hasn't dropped yet (seems to be dropping "better" versions). Am I screwed, at least for now?

If you haven't done the Machine Examination quests yet, activate that questline to get guaranteed pristine screw drops.

Thanks. I hack a ton so that's why I was surprised that I was still missing a couple entries. Hopefully they'll fill up naturally as I continue playing. Is there an end to Challenge Mode, while we're on the subject? What's the highest reward tier?

I don't actually know, because my normal hacking style is so kamikaze that I'm not actually used to having to survive these minigames.

But... I just found out that the auto-fire and auto-evade chips on easy mode will automatically complete most hacking minigames for you! The hacking AI is very good at dodging, but it doesn't understand objects you can't shoot through, so you do still need to help it through some parts.

I might actually be able to see the end of this mode.

First playthrough. Heading to the desert. As someone who fell in love with Monkey Island 2 at a very early age, these dynamic music queues are fucking doing it for me, lol

First playthrough. Heading to the desert. As someone who fell in love with Monkey Island 2 at a very early age, these dynamic music queues are fucking doing it for me, lol
straight up the best use of music in any game I've ever played, add in the quality of the music itself and the whole thing isn't nearly unreal.

1upsuper

Got another question! DLC spoilers:
Is there a list of the different robots you can control for 9S's arena?
It looks like I've got two rooms that are short one robot but I don't know which I still need to possess.

Top Bottom