• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

This has been one of my favorite open worlds. Its easy and fun to traverse. There are enough interesting landmarks and the scenery is diverse enough that its easy to get around without looking at the map, but most importantly theres no bullshit fluff. The sidequests are mostly well done, and there are no bullshit collectables that you ever feel forced to go looking for. Plenty of random ingredient pickups, but no "hidden packages" and other boring shit like that. And definitely no ubisoft map vomit

Audioboxer

This has been one of my favorite open worlds. Its easy and fun to traverse. There are enough interesting landmarks and the scenery is diverse enough that its easy to get around without looking at the map, but most importantly theres no bullshit fluff. The sidequests are mostly well done, and there are no bullshit collectables that you ever feel forced to go looking for. Plenty of random ingredient pickups, but no "hidden packages" and other boring shit like that. And definitely no ubisoft map vomit

My tip for the world though is progress in the main story till you unlock fast travel!

Youll be able to do everything eventually. You don't have to worry about doing many sidequests in route A or B. But there will come a point where the game will allow you to do everything. You'll know it when you find it. As long as you complete side quests at that point you can 100% everything

whoops, ive been doing side quests as they come up...maybe ill go thru the story so im not super high leveled then

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list of where to get certain upgrade materials...?

Also, the (NPC spoiler - Route A, I assume)
Forest Swordsmith said something about shrines containing weapons
. Without spoiling, can anyone give me a hint for what I'm meant to be looking out for?

Also, (ending spoiler)
I got ending K from eating a mackerel, which made me laugh.
This game is so damn good.

I really like this game. The only thing that bugs me is the amount of backtracking and slow overall travel. I hope there's eventually a fast travel option. It wouldn't even be so bad, but they always seem to put subquests at the opposite end of the map that I just came from.

There is and as you can go back to complete all the side quests later in the game, I'd say crack on with the main story until it's unlocked. It doesn't take that long, honest!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man the difficulty really spikes after the
cave in
huh?

well at least I have fast travel now.

Trickster

Do the locked doors around the world with the
apologetic kamikaze robots kneeling in front of them
actually not open at any point?

megalowho

Finished Ending A. Game is ok so far, ready to dig in deeper.

The "who's the real monster??" foreshadowing is laid on pretty thick throughout, didn't really hit any emotional notes for me yet as a result. Gave up on side quests early on, the game hasn't convinced me the minor world building you get is worth the tedium and map frustration. Not really feeling the large open zones in general, even if they're relatively manageable once you get fast travel.

Much more fond of the gameplay, the surreal directions the story moves towards later on, the presentation and the seamless transitions between side scrolling/top down/3D environments. Music is lovely for the most part, found the amusement park theme annoying as hell though. The pod and chip upgrade stuff is fun to play with, until I lose my corpse on some BS camera jank and my auto-heal as a result.

So yea, a little down on the game at this point but I'm also hooked and started right back up after credits finished. Didn't play Nier but watched the videos and know I've only just started, hopeful that my impression will improve as more is revealed.

Mugenjin

Do the locked doors around the world with the
apologetic kamikaze robots kneeling in front of them
actually not open at any point?

Devs are just trolling and there is nothing behind the doors. It is rumored that the doors might be for future DLC.

WITHE1982

Best way to farm a lot of money?

Depends what route you're on.

During route B
I found killing the bunny statue boss and minions in the amusement park entrance (with a drop rate + 5 chip equipped) yielded tons of money and machine cores. I got roughly 800,000 in 30 minutes.

If you're still on route A then honestly don't worry about it.

Audioboxer

During route B
I found killing the bunny statue boss and minions in the amusement park entrance (with a drop rate + 5 chip equipped) yielded tons of money and machine cores. I got roughly 800,000 in 30 minutes.

Does the half wit inventor carry over or do you need to max him out on first playthrough. He just keeps eating my money lol.

During route B

I have all major endings.

I just want to
buy the rest of the trophies.
Also, did not know
that I can fuse chips, lol.

man the difficulty really spikes after the
cave in
huh?

well at least I have fast travel now.

Hah a little but on the flip use probably in a financial spot and hoarded enough that you can max your chip storage, fuse a ton of chips you've gathered and really yourself to the next level in that regard. I did that around that point and it made a huge difference in my damage output, defence and so on.

26 hours here and I am barely just past the point of getting fast travel. :p

Haha! You're a guy that's having a good time!

There is a better way to farm money but you need to finish the game first. But then you can make millions within a few minutes.

giphy.gif

SkylineRKR

You said you have all major endings, so you're fine.

Pick Mad songtress chapter 4. Choose 2B as she can equip 2 weapons. Equip 2 Machine weapons with robot discount. Go to the vendor behind the right gate, buy as many Thick dictionaries as you can. They should cost 6k a piece (I equipped 4 machine weapons for the sake of it, but 2 should suffice). And if you can buy 99 of them, then buy w/e is second and third most expensive etc like Black Pearls or Gold Ore.

Load up Chapter 11, full assault. Which pits you in your bunker room right away and is Route C. Sell all these dictionaries for like 12k a piece at your bedroom terminal and repeat. Generally, buy in Route A and Sell in Route C lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hah a little but on the flip use probably in a financial spot and hoarded enough that you can max your chip storage, fuse a ton of chips you've gathered and really yourself to the next level in that regard. I did that around that point and it made a huge difference in my damage output, defence and so on.

or, I didnt know about any of that crap, I used all my money on that
inventor bot
, and I dont even have any chips at all because I died twice back to back.

hows that? :3

You said you have all major endings, so you're fine.

Pick Mad songtress chapter 4. Choose 2B as she can equip 2 weapons. Equip 2 Machine weapons with robot discount. Go to the vendor behind the right gate, buy as many Thick dictionaries as you can. They should cost 6k a piece (I equipped 4 machine weapons for the sake of it, but 2 should suffice). And if you can buy 99 of them, then buy w/e is second and third most expensive etc like Black Pearls or Gold Ore.

Load up Chapter 11, full assault. Sell all these dictionaries for like 12k a piece at your bedroom terminal and repeat.

K, thanks, might try that. Didn't know you get that discount.

JJShadow

I think it's safe to say the OST of the game is amazing overall, but the
amusement park
theme is just something else, a piece of art

LotusHD

Banned
I think it's safe to say the OST of the game is amazing overall, but the
amusement park
theme is just something else, a piece of art

There's not a single song in the OST that I dislike, but yea this is one of the first ones I heard before playing the game, made a good impression.

Top Bottom