• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Zomba13

=/ now I'm not even getting 1080p in my list of display resolutions. It just keeps showing my the max being 1680x1050 which is my Display 1.

Philtastic

Haven't played much but wanted to chime in that a GTX 1070 paired with a Core i5-4690K at 3.5 GHz seems to play the tutorial area at 1440p 60 fps with everything on high but no AA with 90%+ GPU usage.

I'm finding the keyboard and mouse controls garbage. Lots of accidental dodges due to the use of double tap direction for dodge instead of a dedicated dodge button. The free-move schmup sections are particularly bad as mouse can control which way you're pointing but keyboard controls both movement and pointing direction so you spaz out if you want to both move and point (although I'm not sure if you can both move and point independently on console/controller). No native DS4 support so I'm going to install InputMapper and see how that goes.

DarKshodaN

runs like crap on my i7 6700 with a GTX1070 55-60fps on high settings with AA off

it constantly stutters even with ok framerates, guess i push the refund button and buy it on the pro

Gbraga

Haven't played much but wanted to chime in that a GTX 1070 paired with a Core i5-4690K at 3.5 GHz seems to play the tutorial area at 1440p 60 fps with everything on high but no AA with 90%+ GPU usage.

I'm finding the keyboard and mouse controls garbage. Lots of accidental dodges due to the use of double tap direction for dodge instead of a dedicated dodge button. The free-move schmup sections are particularly bad as mouse can control which way you're pointing but keyboard controls both movement and pointing direction so you spaz out if you want to both move and point (although I'm not sure if you can both move and point independently on console/controller). No native DS4 support so I'm going to install InputMapper and see how that goes.

Steam can do that for you. Activate BPM once and go to the controller settings, Steam will make the game recognize your DS4 as an Xbox controller. You can deactivate BPM after setting that up once, in case you don't like it (I hate it).

Anti Aliasing comparison

na_aaoff1_by_realghostvids-db2m8kp.jpg

na_8xaa1_by_realghostvids-db2m8lb.jpg

big fake

Sorry man just got angry and smashed my keyboard for a bit. I was coming here to provide PC performance stuff I promise, it was just a heat of the moment kind of thing.
It's all good. Just don't forget you get a shit ton of potions.

Anyone fiddle with nVidia control panel to optimize their settings?

iavi

Specs

RX480 8gb w/ latest drivers 17.3.xxx
Pentium G4560
16gb ram
SSD
Win 10

The game runs flawlessly at 1080p with everything maxed it including AA. 60fps with slight dips to 57 was the lowest I saw.

Really not getting the reports of it being a bad port--Basic, but great performing

Run with everything maxed, no vSync though, at 1440p...bar those pre-rendered 30fps cutscenes making me sad, its buttery smooth. Also the game is nuts, bizzare, but i love it.

GTX970, FX6300, 8GB RAM

Disabled AA and Vsync, otherwise maxed, get perfect 60FPS.

What's the deal with the 30FPS cutscenes though? I'm assuming they're pre-rendered, but the framerate in them seems juddery.

Heh, notably this is the first game since Mankind Divided where I've had to disable anti-aliasing instead of cranking it to max. Jesus MSAA is a performance killer. Though in this case a mere 5-10FPS performance loss to the 50's/high-40's when I had it on, versus the drops to the 10FPS range Mankind Divided had going for it.

Only gripe is that I had to use a borderless-window program to run in 1080p due to the bug that's been mentioned plenty of times.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Once I got this running with borderless windowed, everything looks great! 1440p 21:9 w/ a 980Ti with high settings with AO and blur turned off (not a fan of blur).

ToKre

So I was waiting for this to come out to decide between PS4 Pro or this.

I have a 980ti/i5 4690 and want 1440p at 60fps locked or as close to it as possible (I have Gsync). Good to go?

i just played a good 90 minutes with 980ti/4790k set up and with lowering some options you get 60 fps at all times but there's sudden drops to 40 every now and then for only a second or 2 i don't know why but it doesn't bother me that much.

Zomba13

Every time after the first miniboss chainsaw arm thing, after 9S flies away, the game crashes. Well, not crashes, I can still hear menu sounds and running around and all that but the window is frozen on a frame and I cant minimise or do anything. This is bullshit.

I should have just got the fucking PS4 version.

robotrock

Banned
Is there already some kind of AA running by default? Not the best, but the game is definitely not running a sharp image with MSAA disabled.

Are you sure you're not getting the full screen resolution bug? I had the game set to full screen 1080p, but it most certainly did not look like 1080p. Running it in a borderless 1080p window is the fix I've used now.

i just played a good 90 minutes with 980ti/4790k set up and with lowering some options you get 60 fps at all times but there's sudden drops to 40 every now and then for only a second or 2 i don't know why but it doesn't bother me that much.

A friend told me those drops are because of Denuvo. That's bullshit right?

thanks for the AA comparison cannon. can't really see too much of a difference between 8xAA and no AA other than the hair

Yeah, there's definitely some post process AA there by default.

This should be common sense for PC games, but if anyone is unhappy with their performance I'd recommend lowering or just disabling the AA setting in the options altogether. I think the game still looks great (some textures aside) without MSAA.

---

Another thing, is this amount of pop-in to be expected? Is this what it's like on the PS4 version?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlumpReadyIndianglassfish.webm

Game straight up doesn't work. Past the intro screen turns black, music plays, and I can't do anything. Clicking outside the window causes the game to crash along with steam itself. Turned gsync off, set 144 hz monitor to 60, etc. Fuck

Guess I'm going to go get day smashed at SXSW

KHlover

Banned
GTX 980 /w 4GB VRAM
Core i7 4790k @4.5GHz
8 GB RAM

At 1440p I get ~50fps on average and not a single setting (besides AA) I change makes any difference in terms of performance. Also get some horrible stutter for a few seconds every few minutes. It's...okay, I guess. Wonder what causes that stutter, though. It's really annoying.

Shahadan

Game runs fine for me except during cutscenes. Huge slowdowns during those. Maybe I should start with updating my driver anyway.

Zomba13

Is there a way to skip the opening? I've played for over an hour and not even gotten more than 5 minutes into what the demo was...

Arklite

Another thing, is this amount of pop-in to be expected? Is this what it's like on the PS4 version?

There's some, but it's not that blatant, no. (Pro)

Edit: actually I just checked the game itself and while there is a lot of pop it's somehow not as bad. It's like the LOD on PC changes multiple times and in different sequence while everything starts to pop in more evenly on PS4 so it's not as distracting.

vocab

4790k.
8GB ram

Im playing on 1080 and it mainly stays around 57-60. I had to turn AA off cause it was dropping in fights. Still get random drops.

Deepo

This is the problem with games that have a hard 60 FPS cap on some displays.
I had the same problem with MGR:R, Metal Gear Solid V, and Dark Souls 3 too.
I think the issue is that my TV must run at something slightly higher than 60Hz, so that forces there to be a dropped frame every few seconds.

With MGS:V I was able to eliminate the stutter completely by unlocking the framerate via the config files and then enabling V-Sync in the driver.
With MGR:R and DS3 I had to run the game in windowed mode and set my display to 59Hz since FSE automatically selects 60Hz. Then it would sync at ~59 FPS and run smoothly.
I really need to get a G-Sync display.

Thanks a lot, this fixed it!

Windowed mode + Borderless Gaming + 59hz refresh rate = Butter mode engaged!

Kindekuma

Banned
Now that I think about it in full screen the resolution is a bit...fuzzy. Is that the right word? It's far more crisp in windowed mode, I'd love a borderless window option if that means I could avoid this issue. It's nothing plaguing my experience, just something I noticed.

EDIT: Trying the borderless program mentioned in the OP.

Zomba13

Drop to normal or easy then go back up once the prologue is done

But it just takes so long. If there was like a save state or something past that I could just use to see if it's that area causing the crash or not. I know it's not the thing in the OP about the touch stuff because my PC doesn't have any of that stuff and I even double checked and it's already disabled.

I just want to be able to beat up some robots at around 40-55ish fps because my computer is apparently a sudden a pile of shit.

Yeah, there's definitely some post process AA there by default.

This should be common sense for PC games, but if anyone is unhappy with their performance I'd recommend lowering or just disabling the AA setting in the options altogether. I think the game still looks great (some textures aside) without MSAA.

---

Holy crap that popin is terrible... Please let there be a patch for this... I just bought the game... (´;︵;`)

Full screen seems to be bugged, and currently not rendering/displaying at the correct resolution. Frame pacing is all over the place, too. Some of the cutscenes seem to play at sub 30fps, and as a result look extremely rough. Borderless window fixes a couple of the aforesaid issues, but it's still not to my liking. The demo on PS4 Pro felt more polished than that. Cutscenes on the Pro play at 30fps with proper cadence and no obvious stutters.

- 2160p, all settings maxed, AA at 2x.
- 5820K / 4.3Ghz
- GTX 1080ti / 2038Mhz (HDMI --> Marantz SR6011 --> LG B6)

Amazing game, though. Can't argue with that. =)

Porcupine

1440p, everything max, fullscreen, no vsync, gsync
i7 3770k oc, GTX 1080

Runs perfectly fine so far, but the guy that decided to put in 900p, 30fps pre-rendered cutscenes needs to be fired.
Also who thought it was a good idea to have these bars on the top and bottom during cutscenes? That makes the game look so much worse.

KHlover

Banned
Oh, fullscreen is bugged? So the 50fps I got were actually at 1600x900? Welp, not looking forward to framerate at real 1440p then o_O

EDIT: Closer to 40fps than 50fps :(

Nabbis

Yeah, this will take a while to get working properly. Fps all over the place and then the whole thing just crashed.

robotrock

Banned
This is the first port in a while I'm actually having serious "unplayable" level trouble with.

Tried turning some settings down? It's not as performing as nicely as I expected but hasn't been unplayable, though I wouldn't call it a good port with all of those cutscene framepacing issues either.

Top Bottom