• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
I5- 3570k and gtx 970.

Running on high no AA. Being able to keep 60 fps with just a few drops like when transitioning to an area with lots of shadows like this one:

EpuYFfj.jpg

Yo....

How I do that?

Momentary

Banned
Resized the image down below to 1440p. But I'm currently running the game at 3135x1764 with DOF settings provided by robgrab and it looks pretty good. But this along with AO causes UI issues. Looks good though with the rest of the custom graphics options I threw in there. I can also run the game at fullscreen now for some reason. The resolution messes up from time to time, but after alt+enter a few time and going back into settings... it sticks. Don't know how.

33518995935_04f689af0d_o.png

Durante

I just posted about this in the Steam thread, but it's probably more relevant here:
A few posts up someone talked about being unhappy with Nier:A performance on their 290x at 1440p. I'd like to take this as an opportunity to to make a small calculation.

A 290x is 5.5 TFlops, 1.38 times a PS4 Pro at 4 TFlops. (And an older architecture too)
1440p is 3.7 million pixels, 1.8 times the number of 1080p.

A PS4 Pro can't hold 1080p fully reliably in Nier:A, so even if the game is 100% as efficient on PC as it is on PS4 it obviously won't come even close to holding 60 FPS at 1440p on a 290x.

What I'm trying to illustrate here is that the port's performance is entirely as expected, and really no worse at all in terms of efficiency than the console version. If you have a beef with the game's performance, your issue is with its core implementation, not the port.

Edit: ugh that DoF is ugly (not the effect itself, I just don't like it in this game). I think the vanilla game looks better, I was in that area just a few hours ago :p

vocab

On, but borderless windowed so I have no idea if the setting is doing anything.

Alright. I tried both with borderless windowed mode with 60 fps cap. Game Stays at 60 but isnt smooth at all. I guess ill just stick with what works and get rid of rtss and borderless.

mcmmaster

So my DS4 pad just doesn't want to work, it keeps forcing it to input as keyboard and mouse once I boot the game and its driving me insane. Anyone know of a solution?

Nillansan

ugh that DoF is ugly (not the effect itself, I just don't like it in this game). I think the vanilla game looks better, I was in that area just a few hours ago :p

Durante, are you doing anything to improve the game visually besides using the options featured in the game?

Izuna

Banned
Plot twist: Durante ghost coded for this port

~~

Anyway, it looks like I can get this running on my Book from the videos I've seen. I'll post impressions at the end of the month tho.

Durante

Durante, are you doing anything to improve the game visually outside of the options featured in the game?
No, I think it's an aesthetic masterpiece. I don't even run any postprocessing on it.

There are only 3 things I find technically wrong with it: (i) the fullscreen resolution issue, (ii) the LoD transitions in some areas and (iii) the resolution of the buffer used for some screen-space lighting effects. (i) is circumvented in 5 seconds by using borderless fullscreen, fixing (ii) with modding would be very challenging, and while (iii) is probably easier as a mod it's so minor that I don't think it's worth it.

I'd rather just play the game, it's so good.

Plot twist: Durante ghost coded for this port
If I had had anything to do with it it would correctly support all Fullscreen display modes available on a system :p

I just posted about this in the Steam thread, but it's probably more relevant here:

Edit: ugh that DoF is ugly (not the effect itself, I just don't like it in this game). I think the vanilla game looks better, I was in that area just a few hours ago :p

I'm pretty sure the reason people are using DoF like that is because of the horrendous pop-in that most are experiencing... Is it somehow not happening to you? Because many people have reported that it is much worse than the PS4 version. Which yeah, would not be something that I would call working as expected for something ported to PC...

EDIT: NVM I see your post above. Hope it gets fixed though. It's literally one of the worst things for me immersion wise.

Durante

If anything, the only thing I currently feel compelled to mod (but still not enough to do so rahter than play the game) is removing that damn (9S) HuD element. Just look at it sitting there, smugly getting in the way of a HuDless screenshot:
nierautomata_2017_03_x2k4g.jpg

Momentary

Banned
If anything, the only thing I currently feel compelled to mod (but still not enough to do so rahter than play the game) is removing that damn (9S) HuD element. Just look at it sitting there, smugly getting in the way of a HuDless screenshot:
nierautomata_2017_03_x2k4g.jpg

LoL. That bothers me more than anything else in this game. I was trying to see if there was a HUD plug-in to disable that crap.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Durante, can i ask? You say PS4 pro cannot hold 1080p reliably, what did you mean? I don't think it has dynamic resolution scaling..

Inuhanyou

I mean it doesn't hold 60 FPS reliably in all situations. I should have been more clear.

Yep, gotcha.

It does drop res, but only cause of the stupid 900p prerendered cutscenes.

My guess is that will be the worst part of the PC port having to upscale those to higher resolutions over time

I don't get it, does it just save time for devs to use pre-rendered videos instead of real time? FF13 did the same thing, but that game's engine was so inflexible as it was, Nier A's seems fine being able to display open world and all

gngf123

So I know there are people out there interested in relative toaster benches:

I7 3770K
HD7950 @ 900MHz
16gb 1333mhz DDR3
Running off a HDD, not an SSD

I'm noticing some stuttering. When I checking the framerates with MSI Afterburner I see a framerate that holds fairly strong at around 57 - 60 fps, with very rare instances where it'll have a drop into the 40's for one or two frames. These times seem to almost always be when walking around large areas, haven't had any such drops in battle sequences.

I'm running at 1080p on low, with medium shadows and 4x texture filtering. I have the in-game AA and AO turned off and have noticed no significant problems with LOD.

It's not much, but I'm quite impressed that there is still some life in the old 7950, and honestly low settings really still looks pretty good.

~Kinggi~

Banned
No. It's a very good port.
(With a trivially worked around issue with fullscreen resolutions on some systems which will hopefully be patched).

What it also is, on all platforms, is a "B" budget open world game technically. But that's not a port issue, and not really an issue at all for me personally.

I play a lot of PC games on my TV and if you are telling me a game that needs some 3rd party software to run the most basic of resolutions fullscreen is a great port i think your standards have dropped a bit over the years. Also Lod seems shit, even worse than ps4.

Durante

I play a lot of PC games on my TV and if you are telling me a game that needs some 3rd party software to run the most basic of resolutions fullscreen is a great port i think your standards have dropped a bit over the years.
Not at all. I judge ports, and have always judged them, by what I can get out of them -- I've never really cared what "Joe Average" can get by pressing the "play" button in any of them (and never pretended to).

Having to launch borderless fullscreen is a 3-second task each time I start the game, so probably a total of half a minute over its lifetime. It's an utter non-factor for me when judging any port by my standards.

Edit:
Note that it is of course different if I write an "official" article, since then I try to take an objective and inclusive stance rather than my personal, subjective one. But I'm under no such obligation on GAF.

dieandromeda

Neo Member
im not having problem with fullscreen. game run decent in 1080p and 1440p with minor frame drop. the problem arise when using 4k which fps drop significantly below 30fps.

it is not acceptable cus other most demanding games i play still manage to hold 30fps steady such as watch dogs 2, the division, and even crappy dues ex mankind divided..

Ozium

Not at all. I judge ports, and have always judged them, by what I can get out of them -- I've never really cared what "Joe Average" can get by pressing the "play" button in any of them (and never pretended to).

Having to launch borderless fullscreen is a 3-second task each time I start the game, so probably a total of half a minute over its lifetime. It's an utter non-factor for me when judging any port by my standards.

if you just leave borderless fullscreen running and minimized it's a 0 second task!

Carlius

Banned
LoL. That bothers me more than anything else in this game. I was trying to see if there was a HUD plug-in to disable that crap.

seriously...and when you try to talk to someone and hes right next to you and you initiate his conversation about combat style...

Finished the A route.

Dunno whether I've been really lucky for some reason but haven't had a singe drop from 60, running at 1080p maxed out (including 8x MSAA) with an i5 3570k and a 1070.

I think I'll try DSR tomorrow to see how much I can push it

If you put it in your favourites and have BG set to start up automatically, it's not even that. It's literally unnoticable after the initial setup.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when starting the game although I have the borderless tool running I have to go into the the settings and change to a different resolution and then back to 1920x1080 in order to get a full screen window.
Is that normal?

Uhm, also, does the "What are you doing?" achievement unlock in the Steam version as well? Asking for a friend who tried but didn't manage to unlock it. ;)

Doesn't work.

Installing it now makes my DS4 completely unrecognizable...Why did they make this so damn difficult.

This is definitely NOT a good port...

Constant FPS/Controller/Resolution issues. Myself included, it's ridiculously irritating.
whatever controller issues you are having are not the game. It doesnt have PS4 controller support, but DS4windows and Steam XInput wrapper work flawlessly. Xbone controller also works no issues.
my strategy is to pause the game, then unpause and immediately screenshot. It takes a second for the icon to appear over 9s

Yeah, works with my wireless Xbox 360 controller, but I would prefer playing it with my PS4 controller, so I just ordered a bluetooth adapter.
Since the game doesn't have native PS4 controller support, does that mean that the touchpad is not supported? How do you pat the pod if you're using a Xbox controller?

Copper

This is really irritating.

I can't get it to full screen without being 900P...

And I can't get my DS4 controller to work with the game through steam...

DS4 is on via Bluetooth, but doesn't work...Tired of these garbage ports.

Edit: I installed DS Windows, tried every option, nothing works!

DS windows is outdated. You need to be using input mapper. I've had no problems using it for this game in windows 10.

gngf123

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when starting the game although I have the borderless tool running I have to go into the the settings and change to a different resolution and then back to 1920x1080 in order to get a full screen window.
Is that normal?

Uhm, also, does the "What are you doing?" achievement unlock in the Steam version as well? Asking for a friend who tried but didn't manage to unlock it. ;)

I can't say if that is normal or not, but I am definitely not having that issue.

There was one user who said that NieR was resetting some settings on a restart, maybe it is related?

Moaradin

I'm really surprised this game has inactive window settings. Even separated options for control and sound. Something I wish I saw more of in games.

Bulzeeb

ok, this are my specs, what game settings do you advise me to use in this game? I am mostly interested on having a nice fps over resolution and effects

qErGDBd.png

Nillansan

Oh, you might mean stuff like sweetfx I guess?

Yes, that is what I meant.

No, I think it's an aesthetic masterpiece. I don't even run any postprocessing on it.

There are only 3 things I find technically wrong with it: (i) the fullscreen resolution issue, (ii) the LoD transitions in some areas and (iii) the resolution of the buffer used for some screen-space lighting effects. (i) is circumvented in 5 seconds by using borderless fullscreen, fixing (ii) with modding would be very challenging, and while (iii) is probably easier as a mod it's so minor that I don't think it's worth it.

I'd rather just play the game, it's so good.

Thanks for the answer. It is really damn good, my only gripe with the game thus far is that Normal difficulty is too easy and Hard difficulty presents a very harsh increase in difficulty coming from normal. I need something in between.

heringer

But shouldn't a 750Ti be able to perform similar to the OG PS4 version? It's nowhere near close, though.

Kanokare

On an i7 920 and EVGA 760 I get 30-40 fps on lowest settings and 1080 resolution. I recommend this game at 60 fps though if possible.

Inuhanyou

But shouldn't a 750Ti be able to perform similar to the OG PS4 version? It's nowhere near close, though.

Is a 750ti close to the PS4's GPU, or is it due to the CPU being better in all cases? Even a bottom of the barrel i3 is stronger than jaguar

*EDIT*

Or what Durante said

I played a few more hours and the game has been running very well for me with AA set to off and everything else maxed. I'm very pleased with the performance and the game is really cool so far as well.

Look at how cute these guys are!
C84TGUM.jpg

Durante

But shouldn't a 750Ti be able to perform similar to the OG PS4 version?
No. A 750ti is 1.4 TFlops, and on top of that only has 2 GB of VRAM.
The fact that it performs as well or better than a PS4 in some games is more a testament to the fact that those games are very likely CPU limited on PS4.

Paragon

Had a game crash in the middle of a side quest boss (
Father Servo
). Anyone else had this? GPU load went over on that but otherwise I've been ok... 1080p, AO is on as well.
I can't speak for AMD hardware, but I have a GTX 1070, have put 6.5 hours into the game now according to my save, and Steam has counted 8 hours of runtime (idle in the background etc.) without a single crash.
I'm not saying it can't be the game, but game or driver crashes often indicate system instability. (typically an overclocked/unstable GPU)

I can't get my DS4 controller to work with the game through steam...
DS4 is on via Bluetooth, but doesn't work...Tired of these garbage ports.
From this and your other posts, it sounds like you're having issues connecting the DS4 to your PC at all, and not just getting it working with Nier.
Try getting it working via USB before you try Bluetooth.
Make sure that you have uninstalled any third-party drivers and enabled PS4 Controller Support in Steam.
Make sure you have a Bluetooth 4 adapter if you're trying to connect it wirelessly, and that it is paired in Windows first.

Anyone else experiencing dead zone issues with the sticks when using a 360 controller? It feels like there isn't one, or if there is it's really small
If you enable Xbox Configuration Support in Steam (see above) you should be able to adjust it to your liking.
The game doesn't have analog movement at all, which may be what you're noticing though.
You're either stopped, walking, or running. There's no fine control over speed.
The controls just generally don't feel great to me. I'd only put the aiming acceleration down to bad porting - the rest is just how the game is.

i think it just needs an option for fade in instead of pop in. on base PS4 the pop in not jarring cause the objects fade into their LODs instead of pop
I've said it many times now, but you need to pick AA or AO.
Enabling both at the same time causes objects to pop in, instead of fading in smoothly.
You could always combine AO with downsampling if you have the performance spare or think it necessary.

Is that normal?
It's not. As soon as I start the game, it goes fullscreen automatically when Borderless Gaming is running in the background.

borderlessgamingr0st1.png

Inuhanyou

I've said it many times now, but you need to pick AA or AO.
Enabling both at the same time causes objects to pop in, instead of fading in smoothly.
You could always combine AO with downsampling if you have the performance spare or think it necessary.]

I dont have a gaming PC :p Was just musing on suggestions. But it seems like what you suggest actually does it

Nabs

So my DS4 pad just doesn't want to work, it keeps forcing it to input as keyboard and mouse once I boot the game and its driving me insane. Anyone know of a solution?

You can set up your DS4 in Steam instead (BPM>Options>Controller Options). That's what I'm using for this game and it's been perfect.

heringer

No. A 750ti is 1.4 TFlops, and on top of that only has 2 GB of VRAM.
The fact that it performs as well or better than a PS4 in some games is more a testament to the fact that those games are very likely CPU limited on PS4.

I was under the impression that PS4's GPU is equivalent to the 750Ti. Which GPU would be in the same ballpark as the PS4? Even if it is a 760, that GPU also falls very short of the performance in the original PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T96vBufxWs

Even in 720p with everything on low, it never hits 60 fps, even in parts where the PS4 can do it confortably.

Top Bottom