• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I was under the impression that PS4's GPU is equivalent to the 750Ti. Which GPU would be in the same ballpark as the PS4? Even if it is a 760, that GPU also falls very short of the performance in the original PS4.

a 660 is around PS4 level in terms of pure power but again PS4 is a customized APU configuration so the bandwidth is going to be different, access to VRAM different ect

napata

No. A 750ti is 1.4 TFlops, and on top of that only has 2 GB of VRAM.
The fact that it performs as well or better than a PS4 in some games is more a testament to the fact that those games are very likely CPU limited on PS4.

Yeah because Tflops are great indicators of real performance and last time I checked a Fury X easily beat a 1070.

I was under the impression that PS4's GPU is equivalent to the 750Ti. Which GPU would be in the same ballpark as the PS4? Even if it is a 760, that GPU also falls very short of the performance in the original PS4.

A 265 is pretty much exactly on par with the PS4 GPU. Or using more common cards: PS4 GPU is between a 7850 and a 7870.

You shouldn't use old Nvidia cards to compare because performance vs AMD equivalents took a drop as the generation progressed, at least for multiplatform games. Not because Nvidia sabotaged their drivers like some say but probably because multiplat developers started playing on the strengths of AMD hardware more. Just look at what happened to Kepler.

ezodagrom

I've said it many times now, but you need to pick AA or AO.
Enabling both at the same time causes objects to pop in, instead of fading in smoothly.
You could always combine AO with downsampling if you have the performance spare or think it necessary.
As a sidenote, the AO option even includes post processing AA, which makes the AA option unnecessary when downsampling (the AA option even adds jaggies in some situations too).

gngf123

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T96vBufxWs

Even in 720p with everything on low, it never hits 60 fps, even in parts where the PS4 can do it confortably.

I'm honestly really surprised at these numbers. Maybe the VRAM is bottlenecking it? Only reason why I can think of that the 760 would be doing so much worse than say, my HD7950.

napata

I'm honestly really surprised at these numbers. Maybe the VRAM is bottlenecking it? Only reason why I can think of that the 760 would be doing so much worse than say, my HD7950.

Pretty sure your 7950 easily beats a 760 nowadays in multiplatform titles. Kepler aged really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T96vBufxWs

Even in 720p with everything on low, it never hits 60 fps, even in parts where the PS4 can do it confortably.

Damn, there hasn't been a game I've played this gen on my GTX 760 that I couldn't beat out the PS4, and there's no reason it shouldn't, a GTX 760 is more powerful but when it can't even match the PS4 that's a bad port. I'll most likely end up getting this for the console instead.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Damn, there hasn't been a game I've played this gen on my GTX 760 that I couldn't beat out the PS4, and there's no reason it shouldn't, a GTX 760 is more powerful but when it can't even match the PS4 that's a bad port. I'll most likely end up getting this for the console instead.

sunhi doesn't already own the game??

anyone else having trouble getting Nvidia (whatever they are calling shadowplay now) to hook. I wanna save some video but I cant seem to get it to do shit with nier

iavi

They need to patch this for AMD users. I want to play this so bad, but if it encroaches on P5 it's getting shelved till much later in the year

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Have zero issues and game is running butter smooth for me

i5-4690k *not overclocked*
GTX 1070
16g ram

Max settings, vsync off, 1080p

Not even getting the LOD issue I've been seeing people post in videos

I've noted how it works on my 750ti and have suggested when asked that yeah buy on PS4 first if you have the choice (I have it on both). I play normally with most settings on moderate at 720p now and it is not ideal but certainly playable, while boosting everything up for screenshots when the whim hits. As Durante suggested, one can often be surprised by how 750ti performs relative to PS4...but apparently a good i5 can't entirely help on this one.

I'm now at sorta gameplay spoilers
25% quest log, choosing to trigger the closing sections of Route A
. Not one crash or anything which is something some have had issues with in other configs.

Add: keep in mind I went in fully aware I'm working with below suggested spec here

Carlius

Banned
anyone else having trouble getting Nvidia (whatever they are calling shadowplay now) to hook. I wanna save some video but I cant seem to get it to do shit with nier

just use the steam fps counter and set the shadowplay option to record desktop. thats how i record mine. recording interface should still pop up.

DarKshodaN

Guys i fixed my stuttering Problem, i just capped my framerate to 60FPS with the Riva Tuner Tool, and now this Game runs smooth as butter on my i7 6700 with a gtx 1070, i am so happy right now :D

Feeling like an idiot that i don't tried this before

Arulan

Guys i fixed my stuttering Problem, i just capped my framerate to 60FPS with the Riva Tuner Tool, and now this Game runs smooth as butter on my i7 6700 with a gtx 1070, i am so happy right now :D

RTSS is the best kind of magic.

dieandromeda

Neo Member

in addition, check your frame time in msi after burner/other apps, usually set 59 fps will produce better frametime

Anteater

yeah played through the desert area and so far my 1060 gtx (oc'ed) and i5-3570k on a SSD, win 7 runs this game pretty consistently at 1080p60, haven't gotten a single crash either, have the game maxed out with no MSAA, injected slight lumasharpen with reshade just to balance the small blur that comes with the game's post processed AA.

game is great!

Welp, game is not detecting my 1060 and is trying to use the onboard graphics card

Awesome.

Pretty simple to force it to use your 1060 via a profile in the nvidia control panel under 3D settings. would be surprised if you haven't ever had to do it before w/ other games.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when starting the game although I have the borderless tool running I have to go into the the settings and change to a different resolution and then back to 1920x1080 in order to get a full screen window.
Is that normal?

Make sure it's added to your favorites in Borderless Gaming, then relaunch the program. Should start out windowed, then go fullscreen after a couple seconds.

Hylian7

I got through the first boss in the desert. My framerates in the desert were much better than the city. Overall, I fairly consistently get 40-50 fps, dropping to the 30s in the city sometimes on this system.

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz
GTX 770
16GB DDR3

My settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Screen mode: Window (Borderless using Borderless Gaming)
Vsync: Off
Graphics Preset: Custom (but started at Medium)
AA: Off
Texture Filter: 8x (I probably could go 16 here, need to give it a try)
Blur: Off (I was never really a fan of excessive motion blur and it hurts the framerate anyway)
Shadows: Medium
Effects: High
AO: Off

Edit: When I started the game, this made me go wtf:

ixDxBcy.png

I ended up using "Hylian7"

BigDes

Pretty simple to force it to use your 1060 via a profile in the nvidia control panel under 3D settings. would be surprised if you haven't ever had to do it before w/ other games.

First Nvidia card in like 10 years.

Also first proper gaming laptop ever, first time this has ever come up

Edit: that fixed it thanks

vocab

Doesn't do shit for me.

Laiza

I'm experimenting with custom SLI profiles for the game. If someone wants to give this a shot, go right ahead:

0x080070F5

It's DX11 of course. Remember to set SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_DX10_FOUR and SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_DX10_FORCE_AFR.

Note that this requires fullscreen, so expect to deal with funky aspect ratios. Always set your display scaling in the control panel ("Adjust desktop size and position") to "Aspect ratio", perform scaling on GPU, and override scaling mode set by games and programs. This will result in black bars, but it's better than having a stretched aspect ratio.

Bl@de

Game looks fantastic. I really need to finish Nier :p Got Ending A yesterday, now it's time to get all weapons and the remaining 3 endings.

How is performance with a 980 Ti (1400mhz) in 1440p? 60fps on highest settings? Any drops? My CPU is a Xeon 1230.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
Figured out what's causing the fullscreen issue, paged Kaldaien about it, expect a proper fix soon.

Anyone know the best way to contact Square Enix support about this? Given the current state of Steam forums, I wouldn't be all that surprised if they haven't been able to hear about this issue; they're definitely not gonna find that post (though it is something the devs should be able to figure out themselves pretty quickly anyway).

(Edit: have contacted EU support via their website, but if anyone has a more direct way...)

hengyu

So yeah, whenever I use Borderless Gaming to play on my 180p TV screen (Display 2) I crash after like 30 minutes. Well, it just freezes on a frame but you can still hear stuff going on behind it, like menus and footsteps and attacks.

Same problem, anyone has any luck fixing thing?

https://youtu.be/-KaaC8vc8_A

This video shows the 1080ti cant handle the game running at 4k and 60fps. This is on high, though. Anyone know if lowering settings gets the game running at 60?

If not, this might be the first 4k 60 game the 1080ti cant handle?

high puts on 8x MSAA. try turning AA off and see if that helps.

I'm running a Titan Pascal and my card can't do 60 fps @ 4k either. w/ AA turned off I get in the 40s or high 30s depending on the area.

Durante

Anyone know if lowering settings gets the game running at 60?
"High" includes 8xMSAA. That alone is a massive performance penalty (just due to the nature of things). Lowering it to 4x should increase performance by ~30% alone, and much more than that for lower factors or turning it off.

If not, this might be the first 4k 60 game the 1080ti cant handle?
No, there are plenty if you talk about "max settings".

longdi

Banned
Game looks fantastic. I really need to finish Nier :p Got Ending A yesterday, now it's time to get all weapons and the remaining 3 endings.

How is performance with a 980 Ti (1400mhz) in 1440p? 60fps on highest settings? Any drops? My CPU is a Xeon 1230.

Same gpu, running at 1440p highest settings besides AA at 2x, it is not locked 60fps in the first open world level, guessing drops to around 30fps vsync at times. My cpu is 5960 @ 4.5. Not a good performance port imo.

TW3 also runs about 45-60fps in open world, but at a higher 1600p res and i can disable vsync. Automata needs vysnc if not the tearing is very noticeable

Durante

Paradoxically, I am 100% convinced that this port would have been far better received if they had simply not offered a MSAA setting at all.

Which sends a rather bad message to developers.

Crevox

Updated my drivers and OC'd a little bit, got a pretty consistent 60 FPS on 1440p with a GTX 1080. Only some very minor drops when it's data streaming or in very very specific areas I guess. Seems to be the best setup I can muster for quality/performance, unless someone finds a good working SLI profile.

Still can't do even 2x AA though, which is strange cause other people are saying they can do 2x AA without any dips on a 1080 with 1440p. Not sure why my experience is different. Doesn't really bug me because with 1440p the jaggies are mostly gone, and it seems to cause some weird issues on the grass, but kind of a bummer.

Agreeing that I love the fact they implemented MSAA and not some evil post processing solution (FXAA) though.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
Paradoxically, I am 100% convinced that this port would have been far better received if they had simply not offered a MSAA setting at all.

Which sends a rather bad message to developers.

To be fair, labelling the settings correctly would've been a good start. People seem to think the game only has postprocess AA, and the AO option messes with that somehow, whereas in reality the AA option controls MSAA and I'm pretty sure the AO option doesn't affect AO at all, only postprocess AA.

Nevermind, the AO option toggles both 'live' AO and postprocess AA, see Durante's later post. Reason I thought it wasn't doing anything is that some areas rely on prebaked AO, which isn't affected.

Top Bottom