• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Durante

I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of their post processing AA (especially for japanese games that usually don't usually stand out here) that manage to eliminate most of the obvious shimmering, as well as the middleware GI solution.
Again, for a middle-class budget game, this is not supposed to be a priority at all, but the fact that they still tried is great. While it is not perfect and fully dynamic (which games featured such a thing anyway in the first place ?), it manages to ground and blend the characters and the environments together quite well. The characters, especially their skin when properly lit, look really good.
Yeah, I agree. Material shaders on the characters' clothes and equipment are also fantastic, and so are animations of course. And effects/particle systems.

I managed to talk to Kaldaien, and I'll provide him with the code to integrate. (Working on it right now)

Momentary

Banned
That's it man. I'm going to restart my entire playthrough. The 3 Muskat....Engineers are all over this. 3 Engineers sounds like good name for a porting firm... or a microbrewery... or both.

Durante

Holy molly... Any impact on performance?
The performance impact is minimal.

Basically, what you see in that screenshot is rendering to a bloom pyramid starting at 1280x720 rather than 800x450.
On my system, we are talking about an increase in rendertime by ~60 microseconds. That's 0.06 milliseconds, or 0.4% of a 60 FPS frame.

Mechazawa

And this.

Full Motion Video stuttering problems appear to have been completely eliminated by switching the framerate limiter from Sleep to spinlock.

I really get the impression that console developers don't know the first thing about multi-tasking operating systems :-\ Don't use Sleep in the render thread! =P

tumblr_nreno0duJh1td0of9o1_500.gif

Although after three seperate "fixes" to this from three separate sources that were bullshit, I must remain skeptical.

The performance impact is minimal.

Basically, what you see in that screenshot is rendering to a bloom pyramid starting at 1280x720 rather than 800x450.
On my system, we are talking about an increase in rendertime by ~60 microseconds. That's 0.06 milliseconds, or 0.4% of a 60 FPS frame.

Praise the sun.

Did Kal give a timeframe as to when it would be implemented? Just wondering if I should get back into the groove of Dark Souls or just jump back in to Neir and do some grinding for a bit. Maybe I'll try to figure out the chip fusion system. Haven't fused anything yet for fear of wasting a good chip by messing something up.

Gbraga

tumblr_nreno0duJh1td0of9o1_500.gif

Although after three seperate "fixes" to this from three separate sources that were bullshit, I must remain skeptical.

I think this one is legit, because he wasn't even trying to fix it, he just noticed that for whatever reason, it did. All he wanted to do was to improve CPU usage.

Praise the sun.

Did Kal give a timeframe as to when it would be implemented? Just wondering if I should get back into the groove of Dark Souls or just jump back in to Neir and do some grinding for a bit. Maybe I'll try to figure out the chip fusion system. Haven't fused anything yet for fear of wasting a good chip by messing something up.

personally I'm going to wait until some work gets done on the AO as well.. then I'm going to start over and enjoy the game as it should be from the beginning :)

A lot of great work done by the community for this game. Thanks Kaldeien, DrDaxxy, and Durante.

Hopefully SE/Platinum see the love (and the 178,477 ± 12,447 sales count at 9 days in) and keeps that in mind for the future.

Durante

So, for 1920x1080, I should be using 960x540, is that correct?
No, you should be using 1920 - the code handles the division.
(It should ideally simply autodetect that, but sadly the buffers are created before the game switches to its final rendering resolution)

Auraela

Banned
so under far lightning on 1080p we have to add 1080 on the width so it goes from this
BloomWidth=1920

to
BloomWidth=1920x1080

is that correct ?

Zanzura

so under far lightning on 1080p we have to add 1080 on the width so it goes from this
BloomWidth=1920

to
BloomWidth=1920x1080

is that correct ?

Just 1920 works. The control panel overlay specifies width only as well.

Kaldaien said:
When you click Custom, it sets it to your display width. You're free to use anything you want, but it should really be your display width divided by some power of two. (e.g. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8).

JaseC, time to update the OP with the new update to FAR fixing the bloom effect. Can be done in FAR.ini and adjusting the BloomWidth or in-game with the overlay CP which requires a restart.

kewlmyc

This is the most impressive fix for a somewhat busted port I've seen from the PC community.

Good job Kaldaien, DrDaxxy, and Durante.

Anteater

game looks so clean now, gonna finish off the sidequests and head to the forest, thanks Durante!

That's it man. I'm going to restart my entire playthrough. The 3 Muskat....Engineers are all over this. 3 Engineers sounds like good name for a porting firm... or a microbrewery... or both.

just keep playing, you're gonna play it multiple times anyway due to the nature of the game

FiraB

Banned
Still can't get past the tutorial level without crashing.

Just freezes and then everything goes white, fck it I'll pick it up on PS4 after I finish P5.

FiraB

Banned
do you have an amd card?

Yeah and I rolled back my drivers to boot with a clean install.

I think it's gotta be something else doing it, but after un-clocking my cpu, ram and videocard and then another fresh old driver install it still doesn't it. It's completely random to boot which is nuts, it only happens when a softlock occurs and my frames drop to nothing for about 2 seconds.

It's fine, only wanted the PC version for better IQ but I can live without it to play the game.

Mailbox

Just wanted to do a lil test on a couple of older/ shittier stuff i have laying around.

My broadwell core-m tablet (integrated graphics) actually allowed me to run the game.
At 600p at lowest settings and GI set to as low as acceptable: 9 fps in game. :p

My significantly better laptop w/ a i7-4700MQ and a GT 750m (lol) can't even start the game. no idea why :/

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't have the Bloom width value under the FAR.ini and no option in the in-game CP name. Just downloaded the latest one too (and only one).

Carlius

Banned
I don't have the Bloom width value under the FAR.ini and no option in the in-game CP name. Just downloaded the latest one too (and only one).

i think he has a separate link for the 3.0 version with durante. his official is at 2.01 still. theres a link either above or in the last page.

edit: here

i think he has a separate link for the 3.0 version with durante. his official is at 2.01 still. theres a link either above or in the last page.

edit: here

@ bone_and_sinew

Make sure you grab .3.01

.30 has auto-update broken. it'll continually ask for you to update when you launch it.

Durante

I think there's some confusion here.

This is not a light shafts fix, it's a bloom fix. I haven't looked into light shafts at all since they didn't annoy me as much as the bloom artifacts.

Also, you shouldn't use anything other than exactly your resolution width as the width parameter. You won't get higher quality by using higher values and might just mess something up.

To easily and reliably check whether it is working, just go to this screen:

TLCO

Neo Member
I think there's some confusion here.

This is not a light shafts fix, it's a bloom fix. I haven't looked into light shafts at all since they didn't annoy me as much as the bloom artifacts.

Also, you shouldn't use anything other than exactly your resolution width as the width parameter. You won't get higher quality by using higher values and might just mess something up.

To easily and reliably check whether it is working, just go to this screen:

I only tried it for a bit earlier and I was wondering if I had just gone crazy. I was playing at 1080p but set the resolution of the effect to 2160p(I figured that was excessive but I just wanted to see if it was working) but the rays were still blocky and I noticed some banding in the bloom. Haven't booted the game up again at 1080p but I assume the banding will be gone.

Are you going to try your hand at the rays? And what about SSAO?

Wow, I was impressed with just the GI fix, but Durante's bloom fix actually makes some of the most ugly areas in the game look significantly better as well.

So with FAR the game runs acceptably, and with this it no longer has the weird blocky bloom (which just made the semi sub-par AA look even worse).

Great work, Durante!

Top Bottom