• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Durante

Are you going to try your hand at the rays? And what about SSAO?
The rays never really bothered me all that much.
I do want to give the SSAO a go (it should be easier than the bloom really, no pyramid of targets involved but just a single one and, as far as I could tell only 3 passes on that).

The problem is that I have very little time this week and next week.

RVone

Neo Member
And here I am, thinking that while this is anything but perfect, they made quite a lot of effort here. I mean, we are talking about a game that had a middle class budget. Just take a look at the credits, it is kinda shocking how small the core team dedicated to the game at Platinum Games was (so not counting the multiple of little partnerships here and there).
It takes a lot of resources (may it be money and people) and time to make a proper game nowadays, and they definitely did not had enough for people who are actually waiting for a AAA experience (wtf).

I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of their post processing AA (especially for japanese games that don't usually stand out here) that manage to eliminate most of the obvious shimmering, as well as the middleware GI solution.
Again, for a middle-class budget game, this is not supposed to be a priority at all, but the fact that they still tried is great. While it is not perfect and fully dynamic (which games featured such a thing anyway in the first place ?), it manages to ground and blend the characters and the environments together quite well. The characters, especially their skin when properly lit, look really good.

Yes, the day one game is not in a perfect state. Just like Dark Souls was too. You don't become a great PC game company in a day. The White Screen of Death problem (that seems to be caused by compute shaders failure) and the way they manage their framelimiter using a sleep() function in the render thread are proofs among others that they are not well accustomed with the platform yet.
From Software manage to deal with most of the problems with Dark Souls II (which is kinda amazing now that I think about it), so let's simply give them the chance and the time to become better, without talking about "PS2-tier" graphics if possible.

I completely agree. There are some issues with the game but aesthetically I think this game is great. There is variety in the areas and each area does a lot for me in terms of world building. The game has great atmosphere and I think the washed-out look adds to that.

Durante

I completely agree. There are some issues with the game but aesthetically I think this game is great. There is variety in the areas and each area does a lot for me in terms of world building. The game has great atmosphere and I think the washed-out look adds to that.
The lighting quality also helps. I mean, the GI is expensive (some might say unreasonably so), but it helps to make all the very distinct lighting scenarios in the game quite believable and aesthetically pleasing.

leng jai

Just started playing.

Game started in windowed mode but alt enter fixed it. Seems to be locked 60fps @ 1440p on my 1070/6600k. This is using FAR mod with bloomwidth= 2560 and GI=32. Cutscenes seem fine as well. Happy days I guess?

That bloom fix seems nice, gotta try it tonight.

I'm glad the performance hit is minimal, I still get a few hiccups on my rig in certain areas even with GI at 16.

I guess there's a positive aspect to not having time to play lol, I'm only halfway through route A so I'll play most of the game with these fixes.

Gbraga

The lighting quality also helps. I mean, the GI is expensive (some might say unreasonably so), but t helps to make all the very distinct lighting scenarios in the game quite believable and aesthetically pleasing.

Absolutely. Looking at comparison screenshots, I was sure it wasn't worth how demanding it was, but actually playing the game, I don't wanna touch the GI option. Even after installing FAR for the bloom fix (and holy shit the CPU thing makes a big difference in the City Ruins), I made sure to set GI to "Ultra".

Durante

Absolutely. Looking at comparison screenshots, I was sure it wasn't worth how demanding it was, but actually playing the game, I don't wanna touch the GI option. Even after installing FAR for the bloom fix (and holy shit the CPU thing makes a big difference in the City Ruins), I made sure to set GI to "Ultra".
Busy waiting is underrated for games.
I guess it isn't nice behavior in terms of good process citizenship, but it often fixes a whole lot of scheduling issues, and on a modern system with 8+ hardware threads it doesn't really hurt anything.

In Little King's Story I implemented a new frame limiter, and what it does is if it e.g. needs to wait for 12 ms, it will sleep for 10 and then do busy waiting for the remaining 2. To make sure the OS actually gives the thread back control in time, while not completely hogging the HW thread.

After 12 hours of playing, finally had the white flash of death. :( Only lost 10 - 20 minutes of progress.
I feel really lucky - over 30 hours in, and not a single crash still. (Other than the several dozen produced during mod testing and development of course :p)

jett

D-Member
Yes, the day one game is not in a perfect state. Just like Dark Souls was too. You don't become a great PC game company in a day.

You speak as if this is their first PC port.

It's their fourth.

Maybe it's just me but it almost seems like people are bending over backwards here to defend this port.

Pixieking

Banned

It's their fourth.

Maybe it's just me but it almost seems like people are bending over backwards here to defend this port.

Because, from the outside looking in, it looks like this isn't an actively bad PC version, but rather an imperfect PC version. If PG had a couple of dedicated PC dev staff (or a couple more, if they already have some), I think these issues would've been found and fixed before release.

I mean, this isn't being blindly unaware of what PC users want, like some, it's just got a couple of "rookie mistakes" in the code.

Moaradin

I didn't get a single crash in the 80 hours I played. I did get a hard crash on the PS4 version though. Textures bugged out like crazy until the game froze. Even the PS4 system menu had the sound going crazy until I stopped the game.

So for the blur, playing at 1080p, should I set it to 1/4 of that resolution?
I don't want any significant performance hits, but I'm guessing that will be too low despite fixing the ratio.

Not a single crash on my end btw but I've only been able to put in 7-8 hours.

Gbraga

I don't want any significant performance hits, but I'm guessing that will be too low despite fixing the ratio.

Nope:

No, you should be using 1920 - the code handles the division.
(It should ideally simply autodetect that, but sadly the buffers are created before the game switches to its final rendering resolution)

Don't forget to reset the game after changing the settings.

No, you set it to the same width, so in your case 1920.

Durante

It's their fourth.

It's just you.

Compared to what other companies shit out, it's a good port.
As in:
  • It allows for arbitrary resolutions.
  • It has all the features and assets of the best console version.
  • Performance-wise, it runs pretty much exactly as well as the console version on comparable hardware.
  • It's decently playable with gamepads and mouse/keyboard, with the correct prompts.
  • It even has some PC-specific features, like MSAA or having separate audio settings when not in focus (which is really appreciated).
  • Talking about audio, that also works correctly with various surround setups -- not always a given with recent PC ports.

There are some niggles like the fullscreen resolution thing, or the frame limiter, or the post-processing resolution, but those are either easy to resolve externally, or also an issue on consoles (so not really specifically a porting problem).

Could it be better? Sure, but the overall narrative that this is a "terrible port" is founded either on a lack of understanding of what MSAA is and its performance impact, or on expectations which simply aren't viable for something which drops to 50 FPS on PS4 Pro at 1080p -- and then it's not a port problem.

heringer

It's just you.

As in:
  • Performance-wise, it runs pretty much exactly as well as the console version on comparable hardware.
  • It's decently playable with gamepads and mouse/keyboard, with the correct prompts.
  • It even has some PC-specific features, like MSAA or having separate audio settings when not in focus (which is really appreciated).
  • Talking about audio, that also works correctly with various surround setups -- not always a given with recent PC ports.

There are some niggles like the fullscreen resolution thing, or the frame limiter, or the post-processing resolution, but those are either easy to resolve externally, or also an issue on consoles (so not really specifically a porting problem).

Could it be better? Sure, but the overall narrative that this is a "terrible port" is founded either on a lack of understanding of what MSAA is and its performance impact, or on expectations which simply aren't viable for something which drops to 50 FPS on PS4 Pro at 1080p -- and then it's not a port problem.

Agree with everything, except mouse/keyboard. Feels unplayable with that setup, especially because they don't allow you (to my knowledge) to bind dodge to a button. Having to double tap a move key sucks.

pa22word

Agree with everything, except mouse/keyboard. Feels unplayable with that setup, especially because they don't allow you (to my knowledge) to bind dodge to a button. Having to double tap a move key sucks.

It's also false as the game does not have any mouse prompts and has no real in game mouse support, they just use an emulated analog stick and map it to mouse movement. It feels like total shit. Not to mention it has the worst camera mouse settings of any game I've played since the og dark souls. I have no idea what the Fuck they did but playing with it the options forever I still never got it to feel right.

Also, the game does not let you rebind mouse buttons, and has no support for 5 buttons mouses.

The most asinine thing that I found though was that they see seemingly mapped rotation of the pod during isometric and 2d segments and aiming during the Gundam, shooter style fight things to both WASD and mouse rotation, which makes it thoroughly impossible to aim correctly during those segments.

It's such a shame because I really feel that the game would control much better than a gamepad on kbm if the implementation was coherent, but it's absolutely not here.

Auraela

Banned
Complaining about mouse support is like people who complain bout no mouse suppprt in dybasty warrior ports.

These type of games will never work brilliantly on a mouse n keyboard due to the nature of movement and combat.

Id never dream of playing a game like thia bayonetta etc on mouse n keyboard it would be handicapping yourself for no reason. Saying its a bad port because of that is just silly

Man, this game is all over the place for me. When I first started I was getting a solid 60 on high until I got to the Nexus with some dips into the mid 40s. Now on high and even medium, fps is all over the place.

i7-7700hq
GTX 1060
16GB ram

At least everything is stable in multiplayer
Wrong thread perchance?

Can anyone tell me why I can't launch the game anymore after migrating to the Test branch for version 0.3.0? I came from 0.2.3 and now the game refuses to launch and I get the Metal Gear "!" noise.

Pixieking

Banned
Can anyone tell me why I can't launch the game anymore after migrating to the Test branch for version 0.3.0? I came from 0.2.3 and now the game refuses to launch and I get the Metal Gear "!" noise.

I think anyone moving to 0.3. from any 0.2 branch needs to uninstall and re-install. I remember reading that, though I can't recall where, but it may fix your problem.

From Software manage to deal with most of the problems with Dark Souls II (which is kinda amazing now that I think about it), so let's simply give them the chance and the time to become better, without talking about "PS2-tier" graphics if possible.

I just want to clarify that I was specifically talking about some noticeably bad textures in this game and not the game as a whole. Also I never said the game is "bad port" and stated that it runs well without any problems for me.

I think anyone moving to 0.3. from any 0.2 branch needs to uninstall and re-install. I remember reading that, though I can't recall where, but it may fix your problem.
Ah, after uninstalling and reinstalling 0.3.1 (which is now in the Main branch), I can play again. Thanks a lot.

Durante -
Does using an ultrawide display change what value to use for the Bloom setting? I'm using a 3440x1440 monitor, and the value defaulted to 3440. Should I stick with this or should I be using 2560 since that is the width for the 16:9 equivalent of my resolution?

pa22word

Complaining about mouse support is like people who complain bout no mouse suppprt in dybasty warrior ports.

These type of games will never work brilliantly on a mouse n keyboard due to the nature of movement and combat.

Id never dream of playing a game like thia bayonetta etc on mouse n keyboard it would be handicapping yourself for no reason. Saying its a bad port because of that is just silly

Tales from the ass: the post

Games like this have always played better on a keyboard and mouse because you can entirely separate camera movement from action keys and change direction of your attacks with lightning speed precision not possible on a controller. As long as you have bare minimum support, which this game does not have, you have better controls than on a pad because you can more than 1:1 map face button commands to the mouse and have complete camera control 100% of the time.

b0bbyJ03

I just finished Horizon and I need something to fill the void it left by its awesomeness. Thinking of picking this up on PC. How is it running? anything I should know? I heard there is a 60 fps lock. is that true? thanks.

heringer

Trying to explain that not only is perfectly possible but some people actually enjoy playing with mouse and keyboard is always futile and an exercise in frustration, so eh. Think what you will. Also, nobody said it is a bad port because of that, so I'm not sure who you are talking to.

It's just you.

As in:

Those are good points. I hope the devs are proud of what they were able to accomplish within​ their limitations.

At the same time I hope they are enabled (by SE) to address the various lingering issues.

I just finished Horizon and I need something to fill the void it left by its awesomeness. Thinking of picking this up on PC. How is it running? anything I should know? I heard there is a 60 fps lock. is that true? thanks.

Reading the OP should get you up to speed, basically there are a few fixes that are pretty much a must. With those installed it's pretty much smooth sailing at this point. The game is a bit more demanding than its visuals might imply.

Durante

I've never tried it (playing with a Steam controller), just going by what a friend (who plays everything with mouse/kb and hates controllers) said.

Durante -
Does using an ultrawide display change what value to use for the Bloom setting? I'm using a 3440x1440 monitor, and the value defaulted to 3440. Should I stick with this or should I be using 2560 since that is the width for the 16:9 equivalent of my resolution?
Neither will be ideal. Try both and report back what looks better ;)

pa22word

I've never tried it (playing with a Steam controller), just going by what a friend (who plays everything with mouse/kb and hates controllers) said.

Give it a shot sometime and maybe you can suss out what's wrong with it, because I guess I lack the knowhow of the backend to properly articulate what's exactly wrong with it, but it just feels so weird. Like the camera is, like in ds1, being dragged across the screen via mouse input. I turned down all of the tracking and it made it feel a bit better, but it's almost like it has preprogrammed deadzones and the speed at which you can change directions with a mouse breaks the acceleration curve or something. It's functional, but I ultimately jumped to a pad because of the aforementioned issues with the pod and shooter controls. I tried binding the in-game aiming controls elsewhere off the keyboard, but the pod/shooting direction still resets to WASD direction on input.

I wish someone would break open the game and find the raw configuration files so I could find out what's causing it and rebind things, but as it is the game is not really functional as intended when played on kbm.

smisk

So it seems like all these community fixes kinda shoot a hole in the idea that Denuvo prohibits modding.. Have you run into any issues with it Durante?
All these fixes sound great, I'm much more likely to pick up the game in the near future now!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So it seems like all these community fixes kinda shoot a hole in the idea that Denuvo prohibits modding.. Have you run into any issues with it Durante?
All these fixes sound great, I'm much more likely to pick up the game in the near future now!

Good observation. Hadn't even thought of that. Still finishing up Zelda but looking forward to getting into this.

Mifec

Not really, all these fixes worked with other Denuvo games. Mods that would heavily modify the exe don't work.

Crevox

Not really, all these fixes worked with other Denuvo games. Mods that would heavily modify the exe don't work.

Kaldaien was posting some clarifications on this on the steam forum. He said you can basically do whatever you want as long as you don't mess with the DRM section of the exe or mess with its encryption process.

He was only referring to modifying it at runtime though.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member

That only applies to modifying the executable on disk. There's only very few things you'd need to do that for:

- Enabling the Large Address Aware flag in 32-bit games that run out of memory without it. This is getting very rare.
- Disabling ASLR in games that use it (NieR: Automata doesn't). This is something a modder would do for themselves to make analysing the game easier. Not being able to do it is somewhat of a minor annoyance.
- If you don't have deeper reverse engineering skills, you may want to hexedit the executable, e.g. to change the resolution in a resolution-locked game. For someone who does have reverse engineering skills, this'll be just as easy though.

Cant think of anything else you can't do by modifying the executable in memory, while the game's running, which Denuvo does nothing to prevent (so long as you don't try to mess with itself or the license verification system it's tasked to protect). And modifying the file on disk is a bad idea anyway, as any modifications you make will be overwritten by any future official updates to that file.

Things Denuvo also doesn't do (at least in NieR: Automata): Protect against running the game inside a debugger (by exiting the game or trying to break your debugger), distort the executable making it harder to analyse (apart from, of course, the DRM part).

Steam DRM, which for purposes of copy protection is absolutely pointless these days, has given me more trouble.

Edit: Come to think of it, I haven't actually checked myself whether Denuvo prevents on-disk executable modification, since I haven't had a reason to even try, I'm just assuming that's the grain of truth in all this.

Mifec

Kaldaien was posting some clarifications on this on the steam forum. He said you can basically do whatever you want as long as you don't mess with the DRM section of the exe or mess with its encryption process.

He was only referring to modifying it at runtime though.

That only applies to modifying the executable on disk. There's only very few things you'd need to do that for:

- Enabling the Large Address Aware flag in 32-bit games that run out of memory without it. This is getting very rare.
- Disabling ASLR in games that use it (NieR: Automata doesn't). This is something a modder would do for themselves to make analysing the game easier. Not being able to do it is somewhat of a minor annoyance.
- If you don't have deeper reverse engineering skills, you may want to hexedit the executable, e.g. to change the resolution in a resolution-locked game. For someone who does have reverse engineering skills, this'll be just as easy though.

Cant think of anything else you can't do by modifying the executable in memory, while the game's running, which Denuvo does nothing to prevent (so long as you don't try to mess with itself or the license verification system it's tasked to protect). And modifying the file on disk is a bad idea anyway, as any modifications you make will be overwritten by any future official updates to that file.

Things Denuvo also doesn't do (at least in NieR: Automata): Protect against running the game inside a debugger (by exiting the game or trying to break your debugger), distort the executable making it harder to analyse (apart from, of course, the DRM part).

Steam DRM, which for purposes of copy protection is absolutely pointless these days, has given me more trouble.
fair points, guess other than messing with games starting and randomly kicking people out of games(ME:A multiple times for me) it really isn't THAT bad and has no effect on modding.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
I code on C# for a living and this is (aside from the obvious) pretty much unreadable to me.

You sirs are magicians. Thank you very much.

For what it's worth, this sort of code doesn't tell the story of why it works (though the comments here do) ;)

Top Bottom