• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

d7Gbioh.gif

The game shows you a message from SE themselves that says the story does not end and they hope you continue to play the game once more.

I've been told by a few people that it does in fact do that at the end credits, yes.
Ah, thanks, that's good.

Because it was on the latest 8-4 Play that the 8-4 crewed harped upon the need to replay it multiple times, and that's a big ask of someone with increasingly smaller play time.

Hence my fear kind of aligns to what GI mentions:
Game Informer said:
Nier: Automata also has problems with repetition, an issue that plagued its predecessor. The story is stretched over three campaigns that send you back to the same areas, and even the exact same story moments and encounters. How and why this happens is one of Nier: Automata’s surprises, so I won’t ruin it, but don’t be fooled when the credits roll. While this unfolding narrative and its hidden endings is an interesting experiment, it spreads the world too thin and doesn’t add enough new information when you revisit familiar situations. By the time I reached the true ending after nearly 40 hours (and most of the side quests), I felt like I only saw about 25 hours worth of game cut up and reconstituted in various ways.

But am still excited about the game. Will try watch one of the catch up videos for Nier / Drakengard.

True Fire

I'm so happy that Yoko's hard work with Drakengard and NieR is finally paying dividends. I can't wait to see this series continue.

JBwB

Needs more 9.5 / 10's in order to keep that 90+.

Btw are these reviews only for the PS4? What about PC?

Good lord that conclusion to the DD one

Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It’s not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

VERY proud of you Automata team, but now I only have a week to devour this game on PC until Andromeda comes out. Then Persona 4. I'm gonna die over here.

Jennipeg

Makes more sense than a '.9'.

I hate to be those people who yell at review scores but goddammit Gameinformer, I want this game to be successful.

Yeah I guess so, I prefer a .5 scale myself. Beyond that its difficult to say what makes a game .6 or .7 or .75 in this case.

Anyway, i'm really happy with the scores.

jmaine_ph

At this point m we have enough reviews in to know that this is a great game (based on scores). WOW! 2017 is insane.

DukeBobby

Christ, I've got Horizon and Nioh to finish, this to play, and then Zelda in the near future. I can't cope.

Great reviews, by the way.

Ogawa-san

Not complaining about particular scores at all, but I'll never get IGN and especially Gameinformer systems.

Why not 8.8 or 9.0? What makes it worth exactly 7.75 and not 7.7 or 7.8? Do they just punch two possible scores in a random number generator and let it decide between them?

Top Bottom