• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Samikaze

The Financial Post reviewer is welcome to have his own opinion, but when trying to be professional, maybe he should question why he's the only one instead of going: "Lol I'm in the minority I guess".

I wonder if he's doing this right now, feeling like he's Galileo or something.
1005403.gif

i am of the opinion that idiot reviews should be allowed to exist

doubtless idiot consumers exist, so having a review written for their point of view is useful for that section of the readership

Also got a kick out of some of the negative Metacritic reviews whining about having to start the game/level over when dying, not realizing there are save points even after the game tells you there isn't auto-saves. Haha, oh modern gaming.

big fake

But it is his opinion!

The same stuff was said in the Horizon thread and I feel like poor reviews like that shouldn't be counted either but what can you do?
Fucking right they shouldn't. I don't see how one can review a product if you haven't even fully experienced it. Journalism like this is why I don't trust single games journalist anymore.

CoolOff

Honestly though, what would the overall effect be if MC cut off the top and bottom 10% of reviews when doing their average? It just seems like common sense to me. Sure, list them, but why let them affect the score?

LotusHD

Banned
But it is his opinion!

The same stuff was said in the Horizon thread and I feel like poor reviews like that shouldn't be counted either but what can you do?

This is even more egregious than what Horizon went through because he literally chose not to finish the game. At least the former was ultimately one's opinion. This on the other hand...

i mean we can joke about how important a 90 metascore is all day

in the end it is meaningless

so maybe including outliers will shift the score up or down by one point but in the end the exact number is meaningless anyway

actually getting angry about it feels like a waste of one's time

Exentryk

i mean we can joke about how important a 90 metascore is all day

in the end it is meaningless

so maybe including outliers will shift the score up or down by one point but in the end the exact number is meaningless anyway

actually getting angry about it feels like a waste of one's time

It's less the number, but the principle of not finishing a game and still giving a score.

Why did I let you get myself into the middle of a Twitter argument NeoGAF Nier: Automata thread?

XtoTkat.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's less the number, but the principle of not finishing a game and still giving a score.

What other game reviews had that issue? I'd like to know some examples for curiosity though.

Better if you can link me the review. :p

Mechazawa

Unless someone on the dev team said something about 90 being a bonus payment threshold, I really have no idea why so much of this thread is dedicated to some arbitrary number.

This is even more egregious than what Horizon went through because he literally chose not to finish the game. At least the former was ultimately one's opinion. This on the other hand...

It's more similar to the GameCritics review of Horizon where the reviewer didn't finish the game.

Yeah I know

And I don't really blame you.

I can especially see mollipen's point of view when someone in your profession doesn't adhere to expected professional standards

I just think getting too worked up is a bit of a waste of energy and, fairly or not, criticizing him on twitter is not a good look in the eyes of outsiders looking in (again, a bit of an exception for mollipen). I'm expecting a disingenuous, self-pitying blog post from this guy about the whole situation in a few hours.

I would just rather spend my time making fun of the guy ITT instead

Go_Ly_Dow

Here's his review blurb.

Post Arcade (National Post)
Mar 10, 2017
Loads of interesting ideas and plenty of good intentions, but nothing sticks. It’s like it was made by a team of people with super short attention spans. They’d come up with a good idea, carry it half way, then get distracted by another thought, and do it all over again until ending up with an unfocused, unsatisfying, incomplete product.

Here's an email address for Metacritic. Perhaps a well constructed argumented against his review may bring about some much needed change in the future.

Contact Form: editorial coverage and general editorial inquiries.

email- editorial@metacritic.com

Zolo

I mostly thought the guy's review was fine, though I dislike it when a professional review doesn't finish the game. Especially when part of your review is about questions being unanswered.

Servbot24

Banned
I mostly thought the guy's review was fine, though I dislike it when a professional review doesn't finish the game. Especially when part of your review is about questions being unanswered.

I actually don't mind it at all. If someone finds it unbearable to continue a game after a few hours, I see no reason why they should continue subjecting themselves to it. It's not as though playing more will raise the score or anything.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The fanatics here are truly something.

Actually it's more of an unfair and incomplete review compared to the score, actually this should be applied to all games because it's unfair to those who reviewed the games to completion (where they like it or not).

LotusHD

Banned

Gotta love those drive-by posts...

Basically. You finish it, and it's whatever. Applied to GR2 for me, and then later on Horizon. Don't finish it, and I'm like... what's the point.

Lmao

I just think it's strange it was added to metacritic at all without a proper score on the review itself. I mean, ultimately 89 is really fantastic and I'm glad Yoko Taro has a game out thats scored such high marks. It's kinda fun to see a game you love succeed and be kinda bummed when it drops because of a review that you find unfair. Ultimately it doesn't matter, but there is some fun in following it this closely.

I hear great things about Horizon and I'm sure it's a super quality game, but personally western games aren't really my style so I think it'd be a cool little win for the Japanese market and Yoko Taro if NieR: Automata ended up the highest rated PS4 game for a time.

Exentryk

It's more similar to the GameCritics review of Horizon where the reviewer didn't finish the game.

Lol, if this is an acceptable thing among game reviews then there is no help. If I was running an aggregate site, I'd remove these guys from the list asap.

The review is a load of wank and I would be ashamed to put that up and still think of myself as a professional in my line of work. Absolutely, people should justifiably aim ire at the reviewer.

But what is the point of trying to start a crusade to get Metacritic to disregard it? At the end of the day, it's an aggregate site of arbitrary numbers and the game's overall rating hasn't catastrophically nosedived. Nor has the worth of the game suddenly plummeted and its potential audience suddenly slashed as a result of a dire review. Chill, some of you.

Zolo

I actually don't mind it at all. If someone finds it unbearable to continue a game after a few hours, I see no reason why they should continue subjecting themselves to it. It's not as though playing more will raise the score or anything.

Eh. I guess it's just the principle to me. To compare to TV seasons, as a viewer, I have the benefit of just stopping halfway if I'm not enjoying myself. If I was writing a professional review though and only did one of the season based on 4/10 episodes I watched, then I feel that would be wrong.

But what is the point of trying to start a crusade to get Metacritic to disregard it? At the end of the day, it's an aggregate site of arbitrary numbers and the game's overall rating hasn't catastrophically nosedived. Nor has the worth of the game suddenly plummeted and its potential audience suddenly slashed as a result of a dire review. Chill, some of you.
Also this. I can assure you metacritic has had much worse reviews of games, movies, or whatever else.

Hektor

This isn't about fanaticism, he has disrespected the taro and needs to be brought to justice, no matter how many lifes it takes, the stains of his review shall be wasched clean from history's weave and the price of the detergent shall be payed for IN BLOOD IF NEEDS BE

Servbot24

Banned
Eh. I guess it's just the principle to me. To compare to TV seasons, as a viewer, I have the benefit of just stopping halfway if I'm not enjoying myself. If I was writing a professional review though and only did one of the season based on 4/10 episodes I watched, then I feel that would be wrong.

As long as they're honest about it, to me it's a genuine emotional reaction to quit a game or show. That's really what I want out of reviews - genuine emotional reactions.

I think that Metacritic has caused people to take reviews too seriously, since Metacritic plugs reviews into a formula and spits out a seemingly definitive number, when the reviews getting plugged in are not formulaic at all. Nor should they be.

For me Metacritic is a handy general indicator of quality, and something that's just kind of interesting and a fun bit of information, but not actually important.

I can see why a critic wouldn't want to finish in certain situations. If you've played for lots of hours and are hating it, what good would spending more time with it do? It would probably make you hate the game even more, and would be a waste of your time. Plus reviewers are probably spread thin now, with so many good games coming out in such a short time frame. I don't know, if you have a requirement that you ALWAYS need to finish each game you review, you would sort of get an unrepresentative slate of reviewers who are all at least somewhat competent with the game, and a self-selection of reviewers you would expect to enjoy the game. This is not reflective of the entire game-buying public, and the role of a site like Metacritic is to collate all of these different points of view on a game.

That said, he specifically called out the story for feeling incomplete, and that is fucking stupid if you know you have barely scratched the surface. A smarter approach would have been to focus in more detail on what, specifically, pushed you away from the game

Someone started a new topic and apparently there is a review for Horizon Zero Dawn by a critic that didn't finish the game.

I just think it's strange it was added to metacritic at all without a proper score on the review itself. I mean, ultimately 89 is really fantastic and I'm glad Yoko Taro has a game out thats scored such high marks. It's kinda fun to see a game you love succeed and be kinda bummed when it drops because of a review that you find unfair. Ultimately it doesn't matter, but there is some fun in following it this closely.

I hear great things about Horizon and I'm sure it's a super quality game, but personally western games aren't really my style so I think it'd be a cool little win for the Japanese market and Yoko Taro if NieR: Automata ended up the highest rated PS4 game for a time.

Don't worry Persona 5 will have you covered soon.

Top Bottom