• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

sense

I... don't really see how you can believe no deal has been made.
Not an expensive one obviously, but one made so some people double dip, or just go for PS4 first for their niche game. It's nothing really surprising.
I just don't subscribe to the theory that this is obviously a Sony deal. Is it possible? Sure but why does it HAVE to be a Sony deal? Could it simply be square enix wanting people to double dip so they are being vague about pc version or the pc version is not ready and they want to maximize day 1 sales. Did Sony/Microsoft pay activision/WB/Rockstar to delay or not talk about pc versions of games like mortal kombat/ injustice 2, destiny, rdr2 etc....

All I am saying is that it is possible that the publisher is the one being vague and pushing PS4 version and Sony didn't go out of its way to pay for a niche game like nier when the other version was already announced.

Slaythe

Sony can do no wrong to some dudes, it's insane.

Why blame Sony when they have multiple marketing deals with other companies and it's handled a million times better ?

How about Square Enix has been fucking up for entire years its communication and surprise it's still fucking up.

Who's most likely to get the blame ?

MUnited83

For you.
I just don't subscribe to the theory that this is obviously a Sony deal. Is it possible? Sure but why does it HAVE to be a Sony deal? Could it simply be square enix wanting people to double dip so they are being vague about pc version or the pc version is not ready and they want to maximize day 1 sales. Did Sony/Microsoft pay activision/WB/Rockstar to delay or not talk about pc versions of games like mortal kombat/ injustice 2, destiny, rdr2 etc....

All I am saying is that it is possible that the publisher is the one being vague and pushing PS4 version and Sony didn't go out of its way to pay for a niche game like nier when the other version was already announced.
Sony and MS have done that plenty of times and continue to do so even with DLCs.

This is absolutely a deal with Sony. They wouldn't have removed the earlier trailer otherwise. It if was actually some "hurr Durr we want double dippers hurt Durr" type thing they would stop doing it after letting the cat out of the bag.
The fact that they went out of their way to remove all mentions of PC release date over and over and even needed to outright pull videos from their press release means they are extremely likely to be contractually obligated to do this.

Pranay

Sony can do no wrong to some dudes, it's insane.

Just because people are discussing points from the other end and are not convinced from the points raised in the topic that doesnt mean they are "Sony Fanboys"

Will it be great that PC Gamers get to Play the Game at the same time as PS4 gamers ?

Yes

Should Square Enix communicate better to the PC Audience ?

Yes

Eolz

No I'd agree with you if this trailer mess didn't happen, as well as numerous interviews where they just stopped talking about it and pointed to Square-Enix. It's not a development issue, and weird marketing deals definitely happened before (just like Sony saying something was an exclusive when it wasn't).

hT8VoNr.png

Pranay

Sony and MS have done that plenty of times and continue to do so even with DLCs.

This is absolutely a deal with Sony. They wouldn't have removed the earlier trailer otherwise. It if was actually some "hurr Durr we want double dippers hurt Durr" type thing they would stop doing it after letting the cat out of the bag.
The fact that they went out of their way to remove all mentions of PC release date over and over and even needed to outright pull videos from their press release means they are extremely likely to be contractually obligated to do this.

What IF , someone accidentally added the PC version in the trailer and they had to remove the trailer since they are technically communicating wrong information ?

Isnt that a possible scenario ?

Because that stuff happened starting from PSX. That's why. You have a game that Sony never bothered mentionning in shows where the game was, at a time it was exclusive, which was E3, PGW, PSX.
Then when they finally acknowledge it, they announce it as an exclusive on stage and then the confusion happens.

As for "moneyhatting", you don't necessary pay with money. Sony didnt come to SE with a check, claiming "here, stop mentionning PC". But they COULD have made a marketing deal. Why for a niche game ?
Yeah, why did Sony at PSX gave stage presence to games like Yakuza, KoFXIV or Ni no Kuni II ? Mindshare. Mindshare is also impirtant to publishers hence why they'll sometime spend money on stuff that wont bring money or not much, but still work as promotion for their whole ecosystem.

Of course, it doesn't mean Sony is involved and could very well be SE's own doing. But the timing is the problem here. From the very same company that moneyhatted exclusivity of 3 months for a port of UMvsC3.

NeonBlack

What IF , someone accidentally added the PC version in the trailer and they had to remove the trailer since they are technically communicating wrong information ?

All of that could be explain in one single PR sentence.

But *crickets*

This is absolutely a deal with Sony. ...

When have Sony or MS been coy about there being an exclusivity deal? Even Square previously in their deal over Tomb Raider with MS was explicit that they were delaying the other versions to focus on one platform for marketing reasons. What makes Nier so special that they would obfuscate what they're doing here?

It is just far more likely that Square is utterly incompetent with their PC releases. Hanlon's Razor my friend.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Sure, but in the absence of a statement from Squeenix that the date was incorrect, it continues Squeenix's now-months-old behaviour of acting as though the PC version doesn't exist, which is why it's added to the suspicion that there's a gag in place.

Pranay

Because that stuff happened starting from PSX. That's why. You have a game that Sony never bothered mentionning in shows where the game was, at a time it was exclusive, which was E3, PGW, PSX.
Then when they finally acknowledge it, they announce it as an exclusive on stage and then the confusion happens.

As for "moneyhatting", you don't necessary pay with money. Sony didnt come to SE with a check, claiming "here, stop mentionning PC". But they COULD have made a marketing deal. Why for a niche game ?
Yeah, why did Sony at PSX gave stage presence to games like Yakuza, KoFXIV or Ni no Kuni II ? Mindshare. Mindshare is also impirtant to publishers hence why they'll sometime spend money on stuff that wont bring money or not much, but still work as promotion for their whole ecosystem.

Of course, it doesn't mean Sony is involved and could very well be SE's own doing. But the timing is the problem here. From the very same company that moneyhatted exclusivity of 3 months for a port of UMvsC3.

You say - Why did they promote on PSX ?
My Question to you - Why Shouldnt they ?
Playstation Event (Where they had a section of promoting japanese games , why wont they mention Nier 2 ?

2nd Bold -

You talk about UmvsC3 money hat which had a clear communication that the series will be coming to other platform on this and that day

Niche games tend to do pretty well on PC. Especially Japanese games as of late.

Another reason that a deal might have happened (purely speculation on my part because I think any boardroom full of investors would think this way) is because this doesn't look like a particularly hard game to run. So there are probably going to be more PC's out there that can run it therefore a higher possible customer base there when compared to games with higher graphical fidelity. So Sony would get less of a slice of the pie however large that is.

Like has been said already, Sony gets paid nothing for games sold on steam. (At least I think they don't) No matter how much this game sells, they will want as much of the pie as they can get. They are a business first.

Well, that and Sony's thing lately with their fans has been niche games. Like I've been saying, their fans definitely hold this as a point over the competition. Maybe they want to milk diversity even in just a mindset for their fans or customers?

I seriously hope this is all just a flub up but I don't get why some people can't see this as a possibility. Even if all of this ends up not being true, this is the conclusion that many are coming to based on what we have seen, vis-a-vis the evidence in this thread.

I have long since stopped thinking that any corporation is out for my best interests instead of theirs. So that 's where I am coming from. I mean, Sony isn't perfect at all guys and only just recently moneyhatted RE VR which is a terrible thing to do for the growth and health of VR and is btw a Niche segment on the PC compared to people who don't own it. So something like this isn't beyond the realm of possibility for me and others.

You say - Why did they promote on PSX ?
My Question to you - Why Shouldnt they ?
Playstation Event (Where they had a section of promoting japanese games , why wont they mention Nier 2 ?

2nd Bold -

You talk about UmvsC3 money hat which had a clear communication that the series will be coming to other platform on this and that day

I say: Why did they never cared BEFORE and the moment they cared, the situation happens ?

Pranay

Sure, but in the absence of a statement from Squeenix that the date was incorrect, it continues Squeenix's now-months-old behaviour of acting as though the PC version doesn't exist, which is why it's added to the suspicion that there's a gag in place.

I will rather place all on square enix because even I am unable to figure out why will they not mention about the PC version.

Because as far as I remember , all the deal sony have with capcom, the communication has been clear from the start ?

Corpekata

Banned

So they edited a video and also chose a specific date for that version, on accident?

How does that happen?

Like, MAYBE I could see that happening in a video if it was the same date. Or on a press release where it was just included in text. It takes too much work to do this on accident.

sense

No I'd agree with you if this trailer mess didn't happen, as well as numerous interviews where they just stopped talking about it and pointed to Square-Enix. It's not a development issue, and weird marketing deals definitely happened before (just like Sony saying something was an exclusive when it wasn't).

hT8VoNr.png
Final fantasy type zero vita mess must have been a Sony doing.... Was the stealth pc announcement of dqh, Sony doing too? From what I remember, square was the one heavily promoting that game in the US/EU. Dqh 2 is most likely going to come to pc but did Sony pay them to not talk about it?

MUnited83

For you.

That happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'm just walking down the street and suddenly I just trip, fall on a laptop and accidentally edit steam logos and dates into videos all the time.

JaseC

I will rather place all on square enix because even I am unable to figure out why will they not mention about the PC version.

And that's fine. It's your prerogative.

Because as far as I remember , all the deal sony have with capcom, the communication has been clear from the start ?

Not all deals are made equal. A marketing deal being in place is the popular theory for a simple reason: it's Occam's razor and there's nothing to disprove it beyond differences in interpretation of events.

dracula_x

Sony gets paid 30% of the game if you buy the PS4 version, do they have incentive to spend money on a marketing deal to convince people to buy the PS4 version instead of other versions? absolutely. it's not like we've never seen timed exclusive deals before.

So you mean Valve had marketing deal with 2K too? Remember XCOM 2?

Shady-shady Valve :)

Tagyhag

I wouldn't blame Sony for this mess, it's up to SE to have clear advertising.

they want the console version to sell the most obviously.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not lol. If it isn't, why would they want to sell more of a version that they get less money per copies sold?

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not lol. If it isn't, why would they want to sell more of a version that they get less money per copies sold?

Ok, If this is true then why would you remove the marketing for the version that will make you more money? You wouldn't do that for nothing, doesn't matter if the version is ready or not. I mean, games are marketed for the platforms they are announced for way, way before they are ready to release, very often even years.

Companies striking deals is a conspiracy, lol. Ever heard of capitalism ? :")

Hmm yes because what my post detailed was a company striking a deal /s

Meanwhile, you seem to be insinuating that the dev was lying, because he explicitly said the reason was due to piracy concerns. I see no reason to not trust him.

Meanwhile, you seem to be insinuating that the dev was lying, because he explicitly said the reason was due to piracy concerns. I see no reason to not trust him.

So they can't market the game anymore because of pirates?

I didn't. I'm just saying some people should stop talking about conspiracies when we're talking about the possibility of something that is a norm in the industry.
Still these two elements aren't opposite, hence the lack of communication and mention in trailers.

So they can't market the game anymore because of pirates?

PC SKU's not being marketed......what a surprise.

I didn't. I'm just saying some people should stop talking about conspiracies when we're talking about the possibility of something that is a norm in the industry.
Still these two elements aren't opposite, hence the lack of communication and mention in trailers.

People are saying conspiracies at this stage because we've already got an answer.
Devs lying on why the game was delayed on one platform is the norm?

low-G

old model PS4 demo looks so jaggy, so I will definitely hold out many months for a PC version... But I'd eventually relent if the game is good anyways...

Randomizer

Getting the PS4 version so this doesn't really affect me but fuck this shit. So fucking stupid when they delay a PC release because of 'piracy' or whatever bullshit excuse.

It reminds me of Ubisoft last gen, everything was released a month behind because of 'pirates'. SE Japan being relatively new to PC developement might be the reason. Not sure if they have even released a new game that was day and date with consoles? Most of the games from them have been years old ports. It is to be expected that they may lack understanding of the market and have some learning to do. Doesn't stop this from being a dick move or stop them from being called out on their bullshit.

MUnited83

For you.

All sings point to the game getting released on the EU release date, so yeah, that would mean that they lied.

People are saying conspiracies at this stage because we've already got an answer.
Actively removing PC logo from your marketing materials is supposed to be the norm? Someone warn To and Namco immediately pls, they have been doing it all wrong.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Can you watch the video in the OP and not drag other threads into this one?

We didn't have an answer on their silence though. What Saito said is the PC version is making progress and they're looking for a DRM solution. But how does it contradict the fact that they wouldnt market it or delay it in a timely manner, when said producer claims it's coming really fast ?

JaseC

I'm struggling to name even just one other example of when a PC version of a game was announced prior to release but completely absent from subsequent marketing, the developer's website and the game's official site.

Hektor

Why are you people even wasting your time arguing with a user who neither cares about PC games nor the game in question and only wants to protect his pure japanese videogames from the hand of filthy pc portbeg racler.

Yeah, it wouldn't be surprising if it were never marketed at all from the beginning given past instances (are there actually any?), although I think that would be dumb. But in this instance the marketing was actually removed at a certain point.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm struggling to name even just one other example of when a PC version of a game was announced prior to release but completely absent from subsequent marketing, the developer's website and the game's official site.
Yeah, it's literally unprecedented. Would love if Mantis could give us one single example of this if it's as common as he claims it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom