• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

What video?

giphy.gif

GHG

If the last guardian taught me anything it's that we've got to believe. It's coming out on the 10th guys, I can feel it.

Well, now i can cancel my ps4 pre-order and buy on steam.

Edit: Well fuck me right up the nose. SE still causing debate about the damn release date.

orochi91

I'm still dying over the fact that Sony/SE are going through all this effort to prop up a 3-day timed-exclusive window.

This gen has exhibited some weird shit, lmao

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
This is a crazy situation. The simplest explanation is some kind of marketing agreement that stops them from talking about the PC.
version until after release. Seems like a mistake to me, it only causing confusion and sucking hype for the title out of the air

MaLDo

I'm still dying over the fact that Sony/SE are going through all this effort to prop up a 3-day timed-exclusive window.

It's not a timed-exclusive window. It's a marketing deal.

Most people out of GAF may think is a PS4 exclusive. Preorders and day-1 sales are very important.

No one at this point can deny that a marketing campaign is very important to make a product known. This type of agreement completely eliminates the marketing for one of the versions, which makes it invisible to the public. And that favors the one that is visible. That is why these agreements exist.

It is very likely that Sony decided to sign this agreement (or change its clauses) after the PC version was announced. That is why the position of SE is ridiculous, because people know that it exists and therefore ask for it while they can not even respond.

Corpekata

Banned

I really doubt it's the timed exclusive element as much as it is the marketing element.

There's a reason we've seen weird stuff like that Microsoft "Destiny is coming to Xbox too!" ad they did. It's the new hotness.

orochi91

This type of agreement completely eliminates the marketing for one of the versions, which makes it invisible to the public. And that favors the one that is visible. That is why these agreements exist.

I really doubt it's the timed exclusive element as much as it is the marketing element.

There's a reason we've seen weird stuff like that Microsoft "Destiny is coming to Xbox too!" ad they did. It's the new hotness.

Solid points, and likely right on the money.

This is an unprecedented situation and I'm going to assume that more of this will crop with with Sony/SE going forward.

MaLDo

Solid points, and likely right on the money.

This is an unprecedented situation and I'm going to assume that more of this will crop with with Sony/SE going forward.

I would not be surprised at all if these types of marketing agreements were cheaper and yet yield better results than a temporal exclusivity.

At the end of the day, human beings handle better tangible facts, even if they are negative, than uncertainty. Announcing that a version will be released 2 months later gives us the certainty of knowing how long you will have to wait and you can decide if you'd rather put up with it.. However, not commenting on one of the versions makes the situation much worse. Look at this thread.

Frostman

What 3 day Timed exclusive window?

Here are the release dates on PS4:

Japan - 23rd Feb
NA - 7th March
EU - 10th March

Do companies and people only care about NA?

There is no 'Timed exclusive' deal, it's a marketing agreement.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well got a steam card for the 10th going to wait it out since I'd rather play on PC if I can and if the release is that close I can wait a few days since it's likely my Black Box wouldn't get here by then anyways. lol

Corpekata

Banned
Crash thread another good example of the "Just don't speak about other platforms and people will assume exclusive" marketing. If Playstation Ireland hadn't fucked up, I doubt most would even know it wasn't exclusive.

jmga

Crash thread another good example of the "Just don't speak about other platforms and people will assume exclusive" marketing. If Playstation Ireland hadn't fucked up, I doubt most would even know it wasn't exclusive.

Stop with the conspiracy nonsense
/s

It's not a timed-exclusive window. It's a marketing deal.

Most people out of GAF may think is a PS4 exclusive. Preorders and day-1 sales are very important.

No one at this point can deny that a marketing campaign is very important to make a product known. This type of agreement completely eliminates the marketing for one of the versions, which makes it invisible to the public. And that favors the one that is visible. That is why these agreements exist.

It is very likely that Sony decided to sign this agreement (or change its clauses) after the PC version was announced. That is why the position of SE is ridiculous, because people know that it exists and therefore ask for it while they can not even respond.

If this is Sony, this isn't the typical marketing agreement. Marketing agreements don't stop the other version from existing in all marketing.

Those types of marketing moneyhats are usually pre-announcement pre-release ones (e.g Crash Trilogy) where you hide the existence of the other version.

Where as something like Destiny doesn't come close to Nier. You slap the PS logo in commercials sure, but the other versions are a known factor that isn't hidden. They are on the website, on the MS page etc.

This is like the post announce, pre release marketing money hat of a game or something. It's so incredibly weird and dumb for a niche game like this.

Corpekata

Banned
I wasn't suggesting it was directly analagous to Destiny. Just used it as an example of some of the absurd restrictions that even a behemoth like Microsoft had to take creative liberties and were worried about mindshare.

It is more akin to things like with indie games. Like Salt and Sanctuary was known to come out on PC eventually, but they weren't allowed to talk about it beyond saying it existed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If it stealthily pops up on Steam on March 10 I'll be laughing at S-E so hard.

I wasn't suggesting it was directly analagous to Destiny. Just used it as an example of some of the absurd restrictions that even a behemoth like Microsoft had to take creative liberties and were worried about mindshare.

It is more akin to things like with indie games. Like Salt and Sanctuary was known to come out on PC eventually, but they weren't allowed to talk about it beyond saying it existed.

And that's what I'm saying is the key difference here. MS marketing the title is precisely the thing that marketing deals are designed to prevent, not the existence of them.

Those sorts of deals are usually pre-reveal of other platforms (see: Crash on front page). It's incredibly rare, and I can't think of an example, where a game is announced for other platforms and then a company isn't allowed to mention that version at all.

Aside from Nier I mean, if it's the case.

prudislav

iirc the 2 Salt and Sanctuary devs were quite open about it ... aka that they will try to port it while ps version was in cert and that they have exclusivity deal for couple monhts ... thats night and day comparision

Parsnip

And that's what I'm saying is the key difference here. MS marketing the title is precisely the thing that marketing deals are designed to prevent, not the existence of them.

Those sorts of deals are usually pre-reveal of other platforms (see: Crash on front page). It's incredibly rare, and I can't think of an example, where a game is announced for other platforms and then a company isn't allowed to mention that version at all.

Aside from Nier I mean, if it's the case.

Wasn't No Man's Sky similar? I didn't follow it super closely so I may be mistaken, but the only times I heard them answer questions about PC version after its announcement was like 2 weeks before launch or something like that.

Keasar

But then you got to ask. If they're gonna go to such lengths to obscure the fact that the pc version exists, why even release a pc version to begin with ?

Pretty sure that there was some arguments a while ago for something called the "long tail", that while PC games initially doesn't sell in bulk as much as a console game at its release, they are incredibly long lived and can continue to sell at a slow (but steady) rate for months and perhaps years after.

Will see if I can perhaps find the articles about this.

Edit: Derp, think I misread what you said, nevermind. :p Me tired.

mosdl

Wasn't No Man's Sky similar? I didn't follow it super closely so I may be mistaken, but the only times I heard them answer questions about PC version after its announcement was like 2 weeks before launch or something like that.

Nah they announced the PC version quite early for NMS

Durante

Until there's a steam store page with a release date, I'm not going to celebrate.
At this point, I expect them to put one up with a date, then remove the date, then re-add the date, then remove the entire store page, and then put it up again 2 hours before it releases (which is 12 hours later than the date originally shown).

NIN90

This whole thing about keeping information of the PC version on the down low is hilarious considering that the amount of consumers who are hyped for this game but only rely on information directly from the publisher's marketing material must be astronomically low.

Nah they announced the PC version quite early for NMS

Yeah, but then after that and saying that with the power of PC they could do so much more with their incredible engine, no matter how many times asked they didn't say a frigging word about anything else for the PC version. No footage at all either. Nothing. Everybody went in blind. I hate that and it looks like it is happening here as well. Unless I missed PC footage somewhere.

Not even a solid release date...

Until a couple days before launch.

So yeah, now that I think about it, it really does seam similar in many ways. Even how the release date 3 days apart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom