• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: 3DS sells 400k day 1

Strike

129167586636177506.gif

Instro

Kind of hoping this will be the situation in NA as well, might give me a chance to sell mine at a jacked up price.

DR2K said:
What console hasn't sold out on day 1, lol?

EatChildren said:
Here's some various shipping/sold stats for Japan.

DS: 500,000 shipped. 230,000 sold on first day.
DSi: 200,000 shipped. 170,779 sold in two days.
Wii: 400,000 shipped. 370,000 sold in two days.

PSP: 200,000 shipped. 200,000 sold in two days.
PS3: 81,639 sold in one day.
?

Izayoi

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Should this really come as a huge surprise? I think the better question here is how did the software sell?
This is what I want to know as well.

Strike said:
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/26/129167586636177506.gif[IMG][/quote]
That has got to be one of my all-time favorite GIFs.

rhino4evr

I'm sure the top game will be nintendog followed by Street Fighter.

I wish tw system was region free..would really help the resale value when my system arrives on day 1

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does anyone know if it's just general manufacturing or is it really just the screen itself that takes so long to get it done? I wonder what kind of turn around time they will able to have on these things especially since some of the factories have to be making launch units for the other 2 major territories.

Bank on it that this will be like seeing the Wii in the wild when it launched for the whole year this year in all 3 territories.

rhino4evr said:
I'm sure the top game will be nintendog followed by Street Fighter.

I wish tw system was region free..would really help the resale value when my system arrives on day 1
I'd wager Layton will probably be the top selling game

antonz

1. Layton
2. Nintendogs
3.Street Fighter

If there is justice in the world
99. Ridge Racer

Live stream of Ridge Racer last night sealed the never buy deal for me.

M3d10n

ShockingAlberto said:
I'd wager Layton will probably be the top selling game
No contest there. It's in a completely different tier than the other launch games (the "this is fucking Layton 5!" tier). Nintendogs might win in the long term, however.

Neo C.

preorder mine a few days ago (Europe release). Hopefully I'll get one on 25th march. The immense hype makes me nervous.

Osuwari

how come the N64 gets blasted so much even though nintendo made more money with it than with the SNES? the console was a shithole for japanese support but it still sold good numbers in america/europe relative to its predecessor. japan was the crack in the armor for that era.
the GC is the only console that has really suffered worldwide and that really lowered nintendo's profits. the VB is the only true failure from them and it is easy to see why it did so badly.

the 3DS launch seems to be in a blaze in japan now. i was thinking about waiting until OoT 3DS released to get a 3DS in america but now i'm thinking if i should buy the thing before that..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Osuwari said:
how come the N64 gets blasted so much even though nintendo made more money with it than with the SNES? the console was a shithole for japanese support but it still sold good numbers in america/europe relative to its predecessor. japan was the crack in the armor for that era.
the GC is the only console that has really suffered worldwide and that really lowered nintendo's profits. the VB is the only true failure from them and it is easy to see why it did so badly.

the 3DS launch seems to be in a blaze in japan now. i was thinking about waiting until OoT 3DS released to get a 3DS when it comes out in america but now i'm thinking if i should buy the thing before that..

At this point I feel you should just get one as soon as you have the cash for one and find one. It's gonna be one of those things were your out at say Target and see they have 2 3DS' in stock and are like ZOMFG the have a 3DS I could actually buy.

It's gonna be the Wii all over again especially since this sucker is gonna be in high demand in all 3 territories so they'll be on maximum output just to even try to keep up.

HiroProtagonist said:
What information is this based on? Sure, it makes sense pre-orders are first come- first served, but where do you get that they've sold out of their estimated first shipment numbers?

That's generally how amazon does pre-orders. But a sales rep also told me this over the phone. He told me changing my shipping method could push me to the "back of the line" when shipments go out. Since the preorders and shipments were based off when you ordered it.

It would make sense since it's the fairest way to do it, and because they are still taking pre-orders, even though there is no way at this point they can honor all of them at launch time (unless they get like 100k units!)

[Nintex]

Osuwari said:

the 3DS launch seems to be in a blaze in japan now. i was thinking about waiting until OoT 3DS released to get a 3DS in america but now i'm thinking if i should buy the thing before that..
I believe Iwata hated it as a programmer because it was hard as hell to program for. The N64 was pretty much the Rare/SGi/Nintendo love child that didn't live up to its expectations.

In the first place because Rare was damn slow in the second place because SGi did not deliver and went bankrupt and I believe the Voodoo came out just weeks after the N64 launched so it held the technical/graphics superiority for about a month. In the third place because Nintendo held it back by not supporting CD's(and all the FMV's, RPG's and other tech/games that came with CD's on PlayStation and Saturn) and cutting some costs on the hardware design. The horrible compression made every game look like shit and there was almost no third party support. The fact that Nintendo EAD managed to develop such amazing games for the systems shows their skill. Even with the horrible texture compression, muffled sound, fog and blur they managed to create atmospheric environments in Zelda OOT and redefine 3D gaming with Mario 64. The N64 certainly wasn't a total failure but it was definitely not the ULTRA 64 they had in mind.

Fritz

Osuwari said:

N64 was the shit console that only survived on the reputation the SNES had build. GC was a great console with great games that had every odd against it.

Go figure.

[Nintex]

Fritz said:
N64 was the shit console that only survived on the reputation the SNES had build. GC was a great console with great games that had every odd against it.

Go figure.
I feel that the GC could've easily hit 40 million or more of Nintendo didn't throw in the towel. After 2003/2004 they shifted over to DS already. They never released a 2D platformer and Nintendogs was a GameCube game before they moved it to DS. I believe Yoshi Touch & Go started out on GameCube too and they had the 3D LCD-screens ready but they were too expensive. In fact they just kept all the ideas they had for the Cube under wraps and unleashed them on DS and later Wii(motion controls). Nintendo had a lot of plans from the GameCube, I believed Miyamoto was the first who came up with the now often ridiculed "10 year plan" when he said that Nintendo would stick with the GameCube for at least 8 years.

[Nintex] said:
I feel that the GC could've easily hit 40 million or more of Nintendo didn't throw in the towel. After 2003/2004 they shifted over to DS already. They never released a 2D platformer and Nintendogs was a GameCube game before they moved it to DS. I believe Yoshi Touch & Go started out on GameCube too and they had the 3D LCD-screens ready but they were too expensive. In fact they just kept all the ideas they had for the Cube under wraps and unleashed them on DS and later Wii(motion controls). Nintendo had a lot of plans from the GameCube, I believed Miyamoto was the first who came up with the now often ridiculed "10 year plan" when he said that Nintendo would stick with the GameCube for at least 8 years.

Actually, it was the technology in the GC that they wanted to use for 10+ years.
Many thought that meant they'd base their next handheld on it, instead we got the Wii.

Michan

Parl said:
I was waiting for this picture to show up sometime.
It really is a beauty. The excitement of big, colourful, enthusiastic signage contrasted against nothing but an utter lack of desire.

boomerisgod said:
That's generally how amazon does pre-orders. But a sales rep also told me this over the phone. He told me changing my shipping method could push me to the "back of the line" when shipments go out. Since the preorders and shipments were based off when you ordered it.

It would make sense since it's the fairest way to do it, and because they are still taking pre-orders, even though there is no way at this point they can honor all of them at launch time (unless they get like 100k units!)
I upgraded my shipping method a week or two ago ;_;

Oh well. I'm patient. It just means it's likely I'll have some of the software before I have the unit.

boomerisgod said:

They're listed as one of the places to pre-order on the Official 3DS website so I would think that they would get a large shipment.

And I would think changing it to 1 day shipping would put you in the front of the line, as you're now paying MORE to get it sooner then someone who may be doing the super savers shipping thing.

Also, from what I read, Amazon takes down the pre-order button when they feel they can't meet the demand.
Is there anyway of knowing how many they will have or how many pre-orders there are?

Cygnus X-1

[Nintex] said:

No, I disagree. The Gamecube was doomed exactly like the Wii right now is declining because third parties dropped the ball. After RE4, it was the infernal void and Twilight Princess was far, far away, exactly like Skyward Sword and DQX are looking now faaaaar away on Wii.

The difference is that Wii burned like crazy for 5 years thanks to Waggle/Wii "insert name" series/great Nintendo's games, whereas the GC did not.

Ah, and the Gamecube had the disappointing Mario Sunshine. The Wii had Galaxy 1 and 2.

boomerisgod said:

I can't imagine that Amazon would continue to accept pre-orders once they reach their estimated stock numbers. It was a best seller in videogames the week it went on pre-order then fell into the depths of the top 100. Nintendo of America have had no commercials, no public demos, nothing that would incite any kind of rush.

Amazon.co.jp closed pre-orders when they reached stock estimates, so I would expect Amazon.com to do the same. Plus, Amazon have had more than enough experience with Nintendo shortages over the last 5 years to be caught with their pants down.

I'm not changing my pre-order, or advising anyone else to, but I don't think you're working with enough info to tell people:
So anybody pre-ordering at this point will have to wait a while to get one.
I'm fairly certain that anyone who wants a 3DS pre-order should be able to find one easily.

Also, your Amazon pre-order 'order on the pre-order list' is determined by your 'order number' which is not affected by a change in shipping method.

(Could I use the word 'order' more? geeze.)

Truth101

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
No, I disagree. The Gamecube was doomed exactly like the Wii right now is declining because third parties dropped the ball. After RE4, it was the infernal void and Twilight Princess was far, far away, exactly like Skyward Sword and DQX are looking now faaaaar away on Wii.

The difference is that Wii burned like crazy for 5 years thanks to Waggle/Wii "insert name" series/great Nintendo's games, whereas the GC did not.

Ah, and the Gamecube had the disappointing Mario Sunshine. The Wii had Galaxy 1 and 2.

I just have to say I enjoyed Sunshine more than the Galaxies.

Please don't kill me

[Nintex] said:

Eh, I think throwing in the towel and rebranding it as the Wii did them a lot better than trying to prolong the GameCube's life. The Wii could have succeeded even without the clockspeed and memory improvements.

Himajin

Just for reference, the quoted article said the initial shipment was a little over 400k, and units allocated for the first day "almost" sold out. I'd wait for official hardware numbers to get a clearer picture of sell-through.

[Nintex]

Cygnus X-1 said:

I don't know, if Rare hadn't fired their lead coder we might've seen Perfect Dark Zero during holiday 2002. If Nintendo had finished the Zelda OOT2 game they showed at Space World instead of starting from scratch with The Wind Waker and developed Mario 128 based on something like this tech demo instead of turning a non-Mario game(Sunshine) into the flagship Mario title things might've ended up different. There's like a dozen GameQube related 'what if's' including the gyro sensor controllers that they had originally planned.

If the GC was more succesful in the early days Nintendo would've probably went ahead with the 3D LCD-screens and other ideas they had at that time. We might've also seen more software support from them after 2003. They went from a great line-up of games to pretty much 'nothing' in mere months and delayed stuff like Pilotwings from Factor 5 indefinitely. They also tried to 'innovate' and 'refresh' but at that time most franchises didn't need reimagining, take Mario Kart for example. With the GameCube they were right that they needed to innovate but they changed the core elements of some of their games to an extend that people thought they were too different from the norm.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
...that was a tech video. There wasn't anything to "finish."

Unless you mean "If Nintendo had just made a game based on that and not tried to do something else."
In any case I feel that they changed everything too quickly. Like everyone had this image of OOT Link and they went with a new Link instead. I feel that 2001-2003 should've been the 'normal sequels' time. With Mario 128 and OOT2 and all that to make enough money to fund all the cool and awesome Wind Waker/Sunshine experiments.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
[Nintex] said:
instead of turning a non-Mario game(Sunshine) into the flagship Mario title things might've ended up different.

I feel like I'm perhaps missing something here, but at what point was SMS a "non-Mario game"?

[Nintex] said:
In any case I feel that they changed everything too quickly. Like everyone had this image of OOT Link and they went with a new Link instead. I feel that 2001-2003 should've been the 'normal sequels' time. With Mario 128 and OOT2 and all that to make enough money to fund all the cool and awesome Wind Waker/Sunshine experiments.
How are you defining OoT2? There's MM which is a direct sequel and there is WW, which is also a direct sequel

HiroProtagonist said:
I can't imagine that Amazon would continue to accept pre-orders once they reach their estimated stock numbers. It was a best seller in videogames the week it went on pre-order then fell into the depths of the top 100. Nintendo of America have had no commercials, no public demos, nothing that would incite any kind of rush.

Amazon.co.jp closed pre-orders when they reached stock estimates, so I would expect Amazon.com to do the same. Plus, Amazon have had more than enough experience with Nintendo shortages over the last 5 years to be caught with their pants down.

I'm not changing my pre-order, or advising anyone else to, but I don't think you're working with enough info to tell people: I'm fairly certain that anyone who wants a 3DS pre-order should be able to find one easily.

Also, your Amazon pre-order 'order on the pre-order list' is determined by your 'order number' which is not affected by a change in shipping method.

(Could I use the word 'order' more? geeze.)

Just working with what I was told over the phone. Feel free to call them if you want confirmation on whether changing shipping method pushes you to the back. Maybe the sales rep was wrong. To me it certainly makes sense that changing your shipping method to one day would get you one sooner after launch, but again, he told me changing it could put me at the back of the "line." And I did not want to risk that. Sounds like first come first serve. And maybe Amazon are not shutting down the pre-orders because they have no idea how many they'll get yet. I'm sure they have a rough idea of how many they'll get so you're probably right about that.

Top Bottom