• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Banned
Wow, lots of stock on shelves I guess. That about confirms NX is coming in 2016. Price cut probably coming for Wii U as well. Announced at E3.

mankoto

Isn't the reason for the Japanese shortages related to something happening to their CPU supplier? Could this be extremely related?

Tell that to Sony/Microsoft and Steam

Face it

We are getting GOTY editions.

Face what?

I don't see the logic in anyone suggesting a bunch of games few people felt it was worth buying a wiiu for will suddenly be able to propel the successor console to success.

All it means to me is I get to save a huge chunk of change because I don't need to buy the NX for the foreseeable future, if they choose that path. (And I was a big enough sucker for Nintendo stuff to end up buying two wii us for different rooms)

Smash Bros. really needs a GOTY edition so you do not have to pay $100 for the game + all DLC.

The Eshop page is a damn mess of fragmented content lol

What a nightmare

They need to sell stuff at reasonable prices in organized bundles

PSN does this shit too but at least they have the decency to put shit in folders

Well the NX is coming 2016. In order for it to be beyond 2016 they need more games and they just dont have that for Wii U. The final dagger was a week ago when they turned some of their best games into Nintendo Selects. They're hoping those 20$ games finish the final Wii U stock.

One more person say 2017 I am going to DDT you.

To me this makes it seem extremely plausible for the NX to have full Wii U backwards compatibility. With the rumors about a console/handheld hybrid, I'm guessing that the NX could basically be a beefed up Wii U with a gamepad that can function completely separately from the console. Possibly multiple gamepad skews (a smaller Vita-type screen for portability, and a larger Gamepad-like screen for playing at home).

Full backwards compatibility could also help the console during the inevitable launch drought, as there's tons of Wii U games that never saw much of an audience due to a small console install base.

Anth0ny

The last thing I want them to do is waste time porting a bunch of stuff I've already played. If people wanted those games, they should have got a wii u.

I'm sure a lot of PS3 owners who bought PS4s felt the same way

but Nintendo is hoping to bring in a ton of people who didn't buy the Wii U with NX. people who never experienced those great Wii U titles.

it makes all the sense in the world to re-release those games on NX. It's easy money.

Ogodei

Wii U backwards compatibility is definitely a conundrum. You've got some really good exclusive games that are forever locked on an unsuccessful platform, some of which depend on an unsuccessful input device. Plus, NX is likely going to be an architecture switch.

Nintendo is already porting Smash. Could it just end up doing that for all the worthwhile NX games, adjusting them so they don't need the GamePad? I could definitely see it happening for Super Mario Maker. SMM could even end up being playable on the handheld NX. Maybe VC emulation somewhere further down the line when hardware get's powerful enough.

The architecture switch is the big one. You can just make the Gamepad compatible with future platforms. My guess is they're going to keep their streaming technology and that the console will be second-screen compatible due to the need to cross with the handheld which will almost certainly have a touchscreen, so adding compatibility with all of those gamepads out there seems like a no-brainer, like the early Wii U games that went heavy on Wiimote compatibility (Pikmin 3 especially).

My guess is that they'll port games, some as high-profile retail releases like Smash and possibly Splatoon, others will get one-at-a-time emulated and released slowly onto the new eShop.

Holy shit. THAT fast? Is this the fastest termination for a high-profile console ever?

It came out in 2012, if NX comes out in 2017 that'll be five years, which is a pretty standard console life span.

Although I guess Sony always supporting 2 generations at once has kind of distorted that perception.

Banned
Holy shit. THAT fast? Is this the fastest termination for a high-profile console ever?
I think so. The OG Xbox was replaced after four years but it was still produced until 2009 in NA, 2007 in EU and 2006 in Japan. Wii U was second only to Virtual Boy in failure and lack of support. At least it got a dozen or so solid exclusives.

bman94

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Yeah, I got my Wii U in late 2014. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be playing it well into 2017. I've got a lot of games to catch up on. If the NX does come out this year I don't see myself getting it till 2018.

I got 10 - 12 really good games out of it. Some of the best Nintendo has ever made. And it has served as my main media hub for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and Amazon Prime.

I got my money's worth.

I actually use my Wii U more than my PS4. The next time I'll probably my PS4 on is Uncharted 4. Most of the games I play are available on the PC anyway.

Nintendo finally burying their FLOP piece of plastic called :R E D A C T E D: making way for the NX

Slaytendo gonna SLAY

The NX will bury :REDACTED: on release to the abyss and back

lady-gaga-tom-ford-10215.gif

I think so. The OG Xbox was replaced after four years but it was still produced until 2009 in NA, 2007 in EU and 2006 in Japan. Wii U was second only to Virtual Boy in failure and lack of support. At least it got a dozen or so solid exclusives.

I thought OG xbox stopped pretty much in 2005-6, Holy crap your right. 2009 wow

It came out in 2012, if NX comes out in 2017 that'll be five years, which is a pretty standard console life span.

Although I guess Sony always supporting 2 generations at once has kind of distorted that perception.

Usually the previous gen continues production for several years. I believe that the 360 is still in production, along with the PS3. The Wii was still in production for iirc ~2 years after the launch of the Wii U.

Davey Cakes

It was the worst Nintendo console, but that says more about the quality of Nintendo consoles than it does about the Wii U. I enjoyed the games on it like Pikmin and Mario Kart, and I think it was a good console overall. I just wish that it didn't have so many droughts that would make me forget it existed.
People say Pikmin 3 is the best Pikmin game. NSMBU (especially when considering NSLU) is arguably the best NSMB game. Mario Kart 8 is potentially the best Mario Kart game, if not at least better than MKWii. Smash 4 Wii U is at least arguably the best Smash game. The best Yoshi game in many years came out on the system. Plus we can't forget one of Nintendo's greatest new IPs in recent years. I even think party games like Wii Party U were better than the Wii iteration, though I'll admit MP10 was a misstep.

Zelda U/NX has the potential to be better than Skyward Sword as well.

There were plenty of areas where Wii U could be considered better than its predecessor. It has some of the strongest Nintendo output ever. But it suffered in many other ways that basically forced Nintendo's hand in terms of a quick phase-out.

haimon

I am actually surprised it's still in production.

Sales have been so low, and manufacturing such small quantities have to be super expensive.

IvanJ

Banned
The console did sell poorly, but to completely discontinue production after only 4 years is a sign of a total failure. X360 and PS3 are still going over a decade later.

Sadly, there are no signs that the things will pick up with NX. It is more likely that the dwindling number of enthusiasts will dwindle even more, most likely moving toward platforms that show they can support a system for a longer time.

Time for Nintendo to finally launch NX, so they can close their hardware shop forever by 2019.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What a true disaster of a console. Wonder if it can even final crawl past the Master Systems 14.8 mil max.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I got my Wii U in late 2014. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be playing it well into 2017. I've got a lot of games to catch up on. If the NX does come out this year I don't see myself getting it till 2018.
I got it late in 2015 and don't see buying NX till 2018 either. WiiU is going to be enough for the kids and I don't have much time to play anyway (and when I do also have PS4 and PC). WiiU is fine as 2nd console or PC/WiiU combo.

People say Pikmin 3 is the best Pikmin game. NSMBU (especially when considering NSLU) is arguably the best NSMB game. Mario Kart 8 is potentially the best Mario Kart game, if not at least better than MKWii. Smash 4 Wii U is at least arguably the best Smash game. The best Yoshi game in a while for sure. Plus one of Nintendo's greatest new IPs in recent years. I even think party games like Wii Party U were better than the Wii iteration, though I'll admit MP10 was a misstep even after MP9.

Zelda U/NX has the potential to be better than Skyward Sword as well.

There were plenty of areas where Wii U could be considered better than its predecessor. It has some of the strongest Nintendo output ever. But it suffered in many other ways that basically forced Nintendo's hand in terms of a quick phase-out.

Heck I think 3dworld is the better mario game since mario64. That game is polished fun good times. and dont forget about donkey kong

georly

Nintendo finally burying their FLOP piece of plastic called :R E D A C T E D: making way for the NX

Slaytendo gonna SLAY

The NX will bury :REDACTED: on release to the abyss and back

lady-gaga-tom-ford-10215.gif

Pop gaf weirds me out. Everything is hyperbole i guess!

Side thought: I wonder how many yet to be delivered Kickstarter games still owe Wii U versions.

By far the most high profile one is Bloodstained which I wish it wouldnt have caved and offered a WiiU stretch goal. By the time this game launches in 2017/2018 the WiiU will be as dead as the Wii is right now. I hope having to make that port doesn't limit Iga in any way when working for the PS4/X1/PC versions.

Interesting that some people take this to mean NX in 2017. To me it clearly means NX is 2016.

Usually they announce a console 1 year before they launch it. So if they're announcing it this year(2016), that means it's launching next year(2017).

And the reason they're shutting down production of WiiU is because nobody is buying it.

If it was selling well, then they would keep making it.

Davey Cakes

Heck I think 3dworld is the better mario game since mario64. That game is polished fun good times. and dont forget about donkey kong
I left out 3D World because it seems super divisive, even though I personally enjoyed it. Just not as much as Galaxy/2.

Forgot about DKCTF because I'm a crazy person. Easily better than DKCR and that game was no slouch.

Mighty Number 9 comes to mind.

Unless a disaster happens, MN9 will launch very soon and way before the WiiU is killed off. What worries me is Bloodstained which will not launch sooner than 2017 and by then the NX will probably be in the market already and the WiiU dead in the water.

Ridley327

By far the most high profile one is Bloodstained which I wish it wouldnt have caved and offered a WiiU stretch goal. By the time this game launches in 2017/2018 the WiiU will be as dead as the Wii is right now. I hope having to make that port doesn't limit Iga in any way when working for the PS4/X1/PC versions.

It's not even being developed by IntiCreates.

Why do people keep thinking that the Wii U and Vita versions are being done by them?

Top Bottom