• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
For all its faults, I can't help but be a little sad. I had a lot of fun with the Wii U. Nintendo was on point for its first party releases for most of its life cycle.

I bought a refurb WiiU last year for $250 with SM3DW and Nintendoland*. I was well aware that its days were numbered.

I'll probably wind up buying 15-20 games total over it's lifetime, which... is fine. It's not going to go down as one of the great all time systems but I don't feel ripped off either. SM3DW, Splatoon, and Mario Maker are all amazing games. Wonderful 101, Bayo 2, and Xenoblade X were all great (but flawed). I'm sure I'll pick up Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Smash and Kart eventually.

DKC:Tropical Freeze was hot garbage left to rot on a summer day, and I'm mad I wasted so many club nintendo points on it.

worst opinion I've seen here in weeks

Bgamer90

Banned
So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Still happy I bought it. Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart of all time and many other of the system's exclusives are some of the best games of this current gen. It ending production doesn't mean that I would be locked out of playing its multiple great pick up and play games like Splatoon, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart 8 (which I already mentioned).

reson8or

I'll never forget the day I walked into Toys R Us in Times Square NY right after the WiiU launch to see stackes of untouched consoles sitting there. They are right to cut their losses and move on. The public never cared. Here's hoping their next system is more successful.

Huh?
If PS4 is your primary console that it already does

If you bought it for exclusives alone.... you forget that PS4 became the new Xbox360 this gen

I bought each console for their exclusives and I buy multiplatforms on PS4 because they typically run better and at a higher resolution. I rarely buy games for my PS4 in the first place and the very few games I want on Xbox One are far from release. Needless to say, I won't be buying a Sony or Microsoft console on Day 1 next generation. :)

i do feel i was about to be duped. i was actually going to get the system only to hear they pulled the plug. not too happy at this news.

Why did you expect anything less? The system is selling worse now than Wii did the year Wii U launched. And the only real first-party game Wii had that year was Xenoblade Chronicles.

It's so bad that Nintendo actually already mentioned their next platform during their E3 presentation last year.

DKC:Tropical Freeze was hot garbage left to rot on a summer day, and I'm mad I wasted so many club nintendo points on it.

What the fuck. I just bought it through Nintendo Selects and I'd consider it an almost perfect platformer

The level design, the music, the presentation, the tight controls. Just an A++ in my book.

georly

I don't. In fact, I don't think Nintendo will even acknowledge that the Wii U is a thing that exists at E3.

Hmm. They'll show existing stuff, new trailer for zelda (zelda 30th montage or something) and paper mario, but you might be right on the 'no new games' thing.

Here is the 2011 press conference where Wii U was unveiled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JJPkd4Q28

Only Wii game mentioned was skyward sword. Everything else was 3DS (which had JUST come out a few months prior) and Wii U.

What the fuck. I just bought it through Nintendo Selects and I'd consider it an almost perfect platformer

The level design, the music, the presentation, the tight controls. Just an A++ in my book.

Yeah it's solid, my only complaint is that it forces you to replay these really long levels to find all the secret exits :/

For comparison both last gen HD systems are still in production. If this ends up true X360 might outlive WiiU and it was launched in 2005. Crazily short production cycle.

It is crazy, but Nintendo doesn't seem to like long production times. They discontinued the Wii in 2013 I believe even though it was still selling (with a significant drop from its peak of course).

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Yes. Obviously I want more. But I'm quite happy with what I got. Now to be totally fair, I bought an 8GB on sale for a pretty cheap price and got NSMBU with it as well. Don't quote me on the exact price, it was some years ago, but I want to say $199 CAD + tx (which meant more then than it does now). For $199 I was able to play 15-16 great original titles, plus finally experience Metroid Prime Trilogy as well as a few other VC games. I wish the console did well enough to get a WiiU version of Tiger Woods (or whatever EA calls it these days) golf, even if it was just a PS3 port of the Masters release... I really didn't care for the move version on my PS3 and always felt the Wii version had by far the best controls. I'd frequently go back to the Wii version even with the (much!) better looking version available to me.

As long as ZeldaU is still a thing, I'll be happy. I had Twilight Princess on Gamecube, I'll have no regrets playing ZeldaU on WiiU even if there is an NX release, and even if is delayed to have the NX release first.

lame gag

Banned
Such a shame. Cool console. One of those that serious gamers will want in the not too distant future. Unappreciated in it's own time.

BlackJace

Fits with the hint that the entire Wii era ends with the NX.

They do kinda need to separate itself from a now somewhat toxic brand and come out with a fresh line of products.

Maybe axe the DS brand too.

Why did you expect anything less? The system is selling worse now than Wii did the year Wii U launched. And the only real first-party game Wii had that year was Xenoblade Chronicles.

It's so bad that Nintendo actually already mentioned their next platform during their E3 presentation last year.

i had to believe that they weren't going to pull a sega and at least keep Wii U in production for a few years as nx rolls out. they heavily promoted twilight princess HD and that was getting me to finally cross over thinking things are getting better only to hear they pulled the plug. glad i didn't buy the system. regardless of how bad it's sold, this is a surprise.

Astral Dog

This is OK, isnt it? There is no need to keep producing Wii Us , everyone that wanted one has one, its not like it will instantly dissapear from stores!

Geez what a disaapointment the WiiU turned out to be. Looking back on it, I can't think of any great times I've had with the one I got my brother.

Davey Cakes

Maybe axe the DS brand too.
They probably will.

If there really are going to be an NX console and NX handheld within the same ecosystem, they will follow similar branding.

I can't imagine being an upper-level executive at Nintendo and not believing that the Wii and DS brands are sinking ships. The company needs to simplify.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is OK, isnt it? There is no need to keep producing Wii Us , everyone that wanted one has one, its not like it will instantly dissapear from stores!

Yup. The Earth keeps on spinning...then again one of my good friends JUST got a Wii U for Pokken. Funny how things work haha.

Geez what a disaapointment the WiiU turned out to be. Looking back on it, I can't think of any great times I've had with the one I got my brother.

Yikes...well maybe this console wasn't for you guys from the jump huh?

flux1

Overall yes. I knew going in I would be getting it mainly for exclusives with everything else being taken care of by my PC. Looking back, I would have still got it over an XB1/PS4 for that purpose. If Zelda U had been canceled for the NX version I would have been far angrier.

That said I'm not feeling an NX at the moment, especially if it has some kind of gimmick controller. I will be waiting it out a while before deciding to get one.

NDPsycho

i had to believe that they weren't going to pull a sega and at least keep Wii U in production for a few years as nx rolls out. they heavily promoted twilight princess HD and that was getting me to finally cross over thinking things are getting better only to hear they pulled the plug. glad i didn't buy the system. regardless of how bad it's sold, this is a surprise.

If it is a surprise, then you couldn't have researched it much. That being said, you should only ever buy a console if it has enough games out on it to make it worthwhile to you. The WiiU had four years and many great games. If the existing line up isn't for you, then it's understandable that you wouldn't buy one.

It's catalog is so far beyond the 32x though. I say that as someone that bought the 32x at launch and still have it and most of the games for it. It really isn't a fair comparison.

Edit: meant to comment on the Zelda part too. The U is home to two nice remasters and should still be getting the newest Zelda title. Add this to Hyrule Warriors and Link in MK8 and Smash and I don't see how a Zelda fan can honestly be all that disappointed...

If Zelda U is truly cross-gen, it's weird to think that the Wii U isn't going to have a Zelda game that's unique to it.

WW and TP are GameCube remasters, and Hyrule Warriors was ported to the 3DS. And then there's all the noise about an NX Zelda U.

The classic Zelda's were unique for years before being remade, GC had Wind Waker for a decade, GBA had Minish Cap, DS had Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Wii had Skyward Sword and the 3DS has A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes.

Ninja Dom

Wii U has been my only console this gen.

I've had a fantastic time with it. I only play the very best games and probably buy one game every 2 or 3 months. But when I play a game I sink hours and hours into it.

There's still a couple of games I have that I haven't gone through. Pikmin 3 is one of them.

I love the Wii U and I've been buying mostly digital too. It gave me Super Mario 3D World which for me is an absolutely stunning game - one of my favourite games ever.

i had to believe that they weren't going to pull a sega and at least keep Wii U in production for a few years as nx rolls out.

Back in 2014 Iwata said something like "we are barely going to have to manufacture any new units this year, so you can assume we won't be taking much of a loss on Wii U hardware sales."

they heavily promoted twilight princess HD and that was getting me to finally cross over thinking things are getting better only to hear they pulled the plug. glad i didn't buy the system. regardless of how bad it's sold, this is a surprise.

Honestly? My library for Wii U is about as large as my library on Wii. I think if you can get a Wii U for a decent price, it's still very much worth it.

The Wii U was a delivery system for one of the best platformers and one of the best action games of all time.

The current gen consoles are struggling enough with even decent libraries, let alone games that are the best at anything. It was definitely worth it.

Hot damn they're just going all out. Making a clean stop like that, doesn't happen too often. Well, I just hope this gen really learned them about how the industry changed and how they need to adapt with NX. We'll see how it turns out.

Still Wii U will forever be a little cult favorite for sure. Great games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wii U has a great library of games, I certainly got my money's worth. Its Nintendo's Dreamcast.

Petrae

Besides, what happened to the 100 million Wii owners, back to knitting and mobile gaming? Shame Nintendo couldn't convert that base to the Wii U. Sad

Nintendo lost me as a customer with the WiiU. Poor/inconsistent messaging, a poor launch strategy, no Wii Sports replacement (or sequel) to hook me at launch, the rapid retreat of and abandonment by third-party publishers, a severe lack of games representing my favorite genre (sports), exorbitant pricing at launch and for awhile afterwards, miniscule digital storage space (leading to added expense in buying an extra hard drive)... it all added up to disaster.

I have zero faith in Nintendo's vision and direction after buying the company's hardware for 20+ years before WiiU poisoned the well. It would take a Herculean effort from Nintendo with the NX to prove to me that it's fixed its problems and has a positive outlook moving forward.

I moved to older Nintendo consoles instead of mobile.

Velcro Fly

I don't know what people expect.

There are a lot of good games for the Wii U, but nothing is saving that sinking ship.

I hope they learned their lesson with what went wrong with the Wii U and remedy it for the NX

Mithos

Yes, considering I "only" payed €150 for it 7-8 months after release and have 12 games for it, 12 games that for me is good to great. I'm happy with it.

If it is a surprise, then you couldn't have researched it much. That being said, you should only ever buy a console if it has enough games out on it to make it worthwhile to you.

well, i'm not sure what research i haven't done you're referring to as no one knew when they were going to pull the plug until the news came out today.

i personally would avoid saying blanket statements such as "you should only ever buy a console if it has enough games on it to make it worth while to you" while that might be your personal preference saying it like "i should only ever" tends to make it sound narrow and a bit off putting.

did you ever buy a console at launch that doesn't have many games? i'm pretty sure you brought the 32x at launch believing there would be long life to it.
not sure what you're really getting at but i buy consoles with idea of continued support as i was led to believe despite the news of NX around the corner which is natural for companies to invest in next generation hardware, it's very much news the wii U was cut so short.

Back in 2014 Iwata said something like "we are barely going to have to manufacture any new units this year, so you can assume we won't be taking much of a loss on Wii U hardware sales."

Honestly? My library for Wii U is about as large as my library on Wii. I think if you can get a Wii U for a decent price, it's still very much worth it.

i read that too in 2014 but it doesn't say anything definitive of being cut off this year. Twil Princess just launched. i think it would be more fair to assess from that quote that things are bad but there's room to improve. though every console as an EOL, and it may be sooner than later, no one thought it would be 2016.

Malakai

A console sabotaged by major publishers and the gaming media. Wished that it had more varieties of genres on it though. Also, I wish Nintendo did try to sale it a bit more? I mean, a bundle with Will Sports Club, could have had sold a few more systems, I think?

NolbertoS

Dammit Nintendo, now the Wii U accessories are gonna skyrocket. I was plannin on waiting for cheap Wii U accessories but now gonna buy some classic controllers and 2nd touchscreen. I really do hope that NX is BC with Wii U and Wii games.

Petrae

A console sabotaged by major publishers and the gaming media. Wished that it had more varieties of genres on it though. Also, I wish Nintendo did try to sale it a bit more? I mean, a bundle with Will Sports Club, could have had sold a few more systems, I think?

Nintendo sabotaged the WiiU all on its own. Give me a break with blaming everybody else.

Nintendo could have done a better job keeping major publishers on board, but did not. Gaming media ran with what they knew about WiiU-- which was a piss-poor and inexcusably unclear one from Nintendo itself. There were also articles from the media pleading with consumers to buy WiiU... but nobody listened.

Nintendo shot Nintendo in the foot here, and it's up to Nintendo to do it better the next time around.

Top Bottom