• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

wii-u-sad-1534973.jpg

i laughed

gamerMan

If the Nintendo NX is coming this year, Nintendo should have already showed it's real and put preorders up like Sony did with the VR headset. This way you are able to gauge demand and create early hype. Even if they don't have games to show at least show the concept. I don't get Nintendo, but hopefully they will do well with the NX.

The 3ds is selling better but it's not exactly selling that good. A new handheld is a guaranteed profit monster. A new console is not. They are worried about shareholders not fanboys.

You can also impress shareholders by starting afresh with a new, heavily-pushed console, especially since shareholders are likely not to be impressed by continued low sales of a system that's already ending production.

And that is def not all the new games coming to WiiU.

What makes you think there's more for Wii U in the pipeline? There's not a lot to suggest it aside from faith. Trev is basically legit and he said Paper Mario was the only unannounced Wii U game, which Emily Rogers and ShockingAlberto backed up as well.

And examining the state of the Wii U's release schedule for 2015 and 2016, it consists mainly of:

- Projects that began in 2012 and 2013 that are only now finishing production (Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon, Metroid Federation Force, Zelda, Starfox)
- Outsourced games (Starfox being assisted by Platinum, Mario Tennis by Camelot, Pokken and Lost Reavers by Namco, Mario and Sonic Rio Olympics by Sega)
- Games that heavily reuse assets (Tri-Force Heroes, Amiibo Festival)
- Late localizations (Fatal Frame V was a year late, TMS is delayed by 6 months outside Japan, Pokken's arcade version launched summer 2015)

...and not a lot of major, internal, original projects from the likes of EPD and Retro. Paper Mario is the one Wii U game coming out this year that doesn't really fit into any of the above categories. But it seems reasonable to extrapolate that Nintendo has seen the writing on the wall with the Wii U and decided to shift their developmental priorities away from it.

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Worst console I ever bought (and then I even got it at launch day).

Probably a great console if you were into platformers. I am not.

joecanada

Oh my sweet summer child

Not counting the PS4 yet (as it's too new to really place) I'd rank them something like this:

PS2 > SNES > PS1 > 360 > NES > PS3 > Wii U > Gamecube > Dreamcast > Xbox (original) > N64

I haven't owned a Nin system since SNES and I don't have a problem with this. Except I had a Wii given to me which would go somewhere near the bottom ... :(

MK_768

That isn't the basis. I have stated plenty. We will see what happens.

My issue with what you've state is that it doesn't support an absolute opinion like you've stated. Yes, it's a possibility but you keep talking in absolute certainty. It's nonsensical and just seems you are being stubborn for the hell of it lol.

And "we will see?" I mean you already seem to know.

maxcriden

The lesser port of the game will hit WiiU i guess

Depends on if graphics are the most important factor or not. The GCN version was to many the better version of Twilight Princess. If NX doesn't have a screen on its controller, it's possible the Wii U version will be seen as the best.

That confirmed rumour already confirmed Wii U/ NX multiplatform Zelda.

It did, but it's unclear whether that's NX console or handheld. I expect it to be the former but I will be very surprised if Nintendo launches two systems this year and some previous rumors did indicate we'd see the handheld first. We shall see.

That said, the NX, if that controller was real, has me even less interested than the WiiU did.

It may not have been a controller for the home console, but instead a handheld.

Well the NX will definitely be a console at launch then. Maybe the portable version, if there is one, will come mid 2017.

Do you think it's possible nintnedo won't make another handheld, or are you saying it would be further on down the line perhaps?

Rösti;198910106 said:
Very intriguing news, though I wasn't expecting something like this before March 31. Maybe we can expect further comment from Nintendo soon?

I expect this news to change stock a bit.

How are you expecting stock will be affected by this news?

Ogodei

I think i got 14/15 retail games so far, depending on if i count Bayonetta and B2 separately (my main shelf has space for 19 and i think i still have 5 Wii cases up there), and there are a few more i'd consider if i had more money. Not quite the Wii where i got 30 games over the lifespan, but I also put a lot more playtime into some of these Wii U games on average. Monster Hunter 3U i spent 3 solid months on, and Splatoon just keeps on giving.

TAS

I don't know..could this be the first time in history that a console and handheld launch simultaneously? :O Probably not..but being that both platforms share the same DNA--it's not completely outside the realm of possibility. One thing is certain: Nintendo will launch something by the year's end. The holiday season is just too big of a sales window to pass up.

I'm still deciding on whether or not to get a Wii U now or just wait for the NX. If the NX is going to have backwards compatibility, I'd rather just wait. But it also might be prime time to get a Wii U.

I'm in no real rush to play the games but I also want to be able to purchase them physically without paying a premium.

jholmes

Nintendo's refused to even sell the things in Japan so I'm not sure what anyone expected.

Also there's this idea that people will like the NX more if Nintendo shows it's not planning any late-life support for the Wii U, as if giving millions of existing customers the short shrift will encourage them to spend hundreds more on new hardware.

The Wii U's obsolescence has been dated. If sales were low before, I don't even want to think what they'll be after this news travels.

Given Nintendo's lovely shenanigans with portable SNES games, I don't think BC is in the cards. If for no other reason, they'll realize they can make more money by selling Wii U games a second time.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo is having such an awful image momentum. No word about NX, no word about Miitomo on the west, no upcoming info to look forward in general with Nintendo other than the remaining games on Wii U. They just continue their radio silence and they will probably continue like this until E3. When people will simply not care anymore unless they give a big surprise event/show/announcement/whatever before E3.
I kind of agree that the radio silence is starting to hurt them.

You can't deny that they have the element of surprise though. People only have a slight idea of what the new system could be.

Maybe Nintendo is playing the long game in terms of revealing their new hardware because they want to create buzz and talk. A slow buildup to a big reveal. It's a good idea but you can only carry on with something like that for a little while before everyone, not just the dedicated fanbase, gets antsy.

Given Nintendo's lovely shenanigans with portable SNES games, I don't think BC is in the cards. They'll realize they can make more money by selling Wii U games a second time.
As much as I love BC, I think Nintendo will take the more practical route and forgo it with NX. Hardware BC like the Wii U and Wii had, anyway. They can take a new approach. Count on people to keep their old systems, or start doing software BC, or just focus purely on re-releases and remasters since there's money to be made there.

It's likely in their best interest to invest more into making a stronger and more future-proof machine at a favorable price point.

Welfare

You honestly think they won't announced ANY new games for WiiU during E3?

Why would they? That would be going against what they are doing, which is killing the Wii U and praying everyone jumps ship to NX.

Nintendo gains nothing from current Wii U owners buying new Wii U games this holiday when they can get the NX and that systems new games.

Sandfox

Nintendo's refused to even sell the things in Japan so I'm not sure what anyone expected.

Also there's this idea that people will like the NX more if Nintendo shows it's not planning any late-life support for the Wii U, as if giving millions of existing customers the short shrift will encourage them to spend hundreds more on new hardware.
I wouldn't say they are refusing to sell the Wii U in Japan.

MK_768

The Wii U's upcoming obsolescence has been dated. If sales were low before, I don't even want to think what they'll be after this news travels.

Given Nintendo's lovely shenanigans with portable SNES games, I don't think BC is in the cards. They'll realize they can make more money by selling Wii U games a second time.

Well that's has been the "thing" this gen

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
You honestly think they won't announced ANY new games for WiiU during E3?

Well, that's what the most recent direct was for, don't ya think? Cleaning out house and washing hands of the system before they spend all of E3 hyping their new console and games. The only Wii U game that'll be announced, I predict, would be Zelda U, and that'd be announced as a cross-platform title ala Twilight Princess anyway.

MK_768

I kind of agree that the radio silence is starting to hurt them.

You can't deny that they have the element of surprise though. People only have a slight idea of what the new system could be.

Maybe Nintendo is playing the long game in terms of revealing their new hardware because they want to create buzz and talk. A slow buildup to a big reveal. It's a good idea but you can only carry on with something like that for a little while before everyone, not just the dedicated fanbase, gets antsy.

As much as I love BC, I think Nintendo will take the more practical route and forgo it with NX. Hardware BC like the Wii U and Wii had, anyway. They can do something else.

It's likely in their best interest to invest more into making a better machine.

It only hurts if, when speak about it, they royally screw up the messaging.

Btw they already announced the last Wii U game.. Paper Mario. Mother 3 dont count even if its announced thats a VC release.

Anyway if there were more Wii U games coming Miyamoto should have specified Pikmin coming to Wii U. Instead he said nothing.

Painguy

Can someone link me to these Trev links if that is allowed? I keep hearing about them, but I have no idea what they are.

The End

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

I bought a refurb WiiU last year for $250 with SM3DW and Nintendoland*. I was well aware that its days were numbered.

I'll probably wind up buying 15-20 games total over it's lifetime, which... is fine. It's not going to go down as one of the great all time systems but I don't feel ripped off either. SM3DW, Splatoon, and Mario Maker are all amazing games. Wonderful 101, Bayo 2, and Xenoblade X were all great (but flawed). I'm sure I'll pick up Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Smash and Kart eventually.

DKC:Tropical Freeze was hot garbage left to rot on a summer day, and I'm mad I wasted so many club nintendo points on it.

Top Bottom