• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Yaari

NX must be backward compatible, right? Super Mario Maker needs to keep going.

That's my question. Would the production ceasing mean backwards compatibility is likely, that way they can carry over the games of the past gen pretty easily.

And I'll ge to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions after all :D

Somnid

If we're getting into lifecycle talk it sounds like PS4 and Xbox One aren't going to be around much longer either. I think people are just going to have to accept shorter cycles as we transition into more soft platforms.

Nintendo is fine.

All they have to do is make a console with better-than-PS4 hardware, standardize minimum 1080p/60fps for all games (with no exceptions) and they'll be fine.

They don't even need 4K right now, as 4K TVs are still too damn expensive for the mainstream.

NX must be backward compatible, right? Super Mario Maker needs to keep going.

BC would be cool but at the same time I think it's equally likely they'll just toss the Wii U games up as a virtual console thing, or specifically port/remaster them for the hardware. BC would likely require buyers to own a Gamepad which would be cumbersome (e.g. there'd be no point in selling your Wii U if you have to keep the gamepad, so you might as well just keep the original hardware anyway since it'd have the same result -- and buying a gamepad just for BC would be a pain to new adopters).

If we're getting into lifecycle talk it sounds like PS4 and Xbox One aren't going to be around much longer either. I think people are just going to have to accept shorter cycles as we transition into more soft platforms.
This is true and not. If the rumors are true, PS4 will still have games released for it for awhile

sphinx

the piano man
I been thinking the last 5 minutes.

how can NX be bacwards compatible if nintendo desperately needs to get as far away as possible from that poisonous gamepad?

how will I play BC games if I've never owned a Wii U? No way in hell they'll produce them separately just to please a couple of costumers that want a WiiU game here and there and they are not making a gamepad version of the NX controller.

the only way I see it is the new controller somehow resembling the gamepad, which brings us to the starting point....

I'm no zealot :) I collect pretty much everything back to the 2600. We can agree to disagree regarding the comparison. I can only say that I have made far worst gaming investments. Maybe if things go firesale you might consider it worthwhile. There is a decent library.

don't mind me about the 32x accuracy vs. the Wii U, i'm just commenting on reading the article and disappointed in it. unfortunately, i do buy systems beyond just looking the current library. retro collecting is a bit different bc the system already had an EOL for a while and easier to calculate retrospectively but my mindset different for active systems.
but i can see how you may look at it differently.

alright cool! hopefully i get a chance to see more of your stuff in the retro threads =)

Raist

Banned
Its outside...in the rain wanting to come in.....but its slowly fading away. Wasted like sugar on the floor till it is ceased to be produce as the sun sets on 2016

5136si6.gif

Man, if Zelda U becomes NX only, I'm going to be really mad.

I feel pretty certain you won't have to worry. It'll be on both. The only thing really up in the air is the release order (i.e. will Wii U version launch on the same day as the NX one, or will it be a few weeks late like Twilight Princess?)

Majine

Banned
Even the gamecube got two new Zelda games during its lifespan.

Wii U is gonna get one, and it will most likely launch on NX simultaneously. That's sad.

(Hyrule Warriors doesn't count)

RPGCrazied

I feel pretty certain you won't have to worry. It'll be on both. The only thing really up in the air is the release order (i.e. will Wii U version launch on the same day as the NX one, or will it be a few weeks late like Twilight Princess?)

Yeah, but supposedly Zelda U is suppose to be coming out around then too, so, why make a Wii U version if people can no longer buy one?

Yeah, but supposedly Zelda U is suppose to be coming out around then too, so, why make a Wii U version if people can no longer buy one?

Because over 12 million people own Wii Us, so there's an audience for the game already. Plus, you'll still be able to buy a Wii U this year. They're not discontinuing it tomorrow.

GCN was discontinued only a few months after Wii's launch and TP still came to that console.

Kouriozan

Indeed, we'll see Xbox 2 and PS4.5 in 2017, I don't doubt it.
For now Sony is focusing on VR, then they'll go "want better performance, we have the console for you!"

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Man, if Zelda U becomes NX only, I'm going to be really mad.

No chance of that... they've stated its for Wii U multiple times. It probably will be released on NX too, but they've said Zelda Wii U too many times now for them to abandon it.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Trev's leak didn't/couldn't even identify Color Splash, and it being announced in March doesn't preclude Nintendo from deciding to delay/move it later.

While true, the GameCube had a much longer shelf life and would have been over 5 years old in Japan in October 2006.

I think Paper Mario will be cross-gen at worst because Nintendo doesn't want to iritate hardcore fans who bought a Wii U. It hasn't been a full gen and I'm sure they're aware of that, and how they need the hardcore Wii U fans for NX too, no matter how well it does.

RPGCrazied

No chance of that... they've stated its for Wii U multiple times. It probably will be released on NX too, but they've said Zelda Wii U too many times now for them to abandon it.

Because over 12 million people own Wii Us, so there's an audience for the game already. Plus, you'll still be able to buy a Wii U this year. They're not discontinuing it tomorrow.

GCN was discontinued only a few months after Wii's launch and TP still came to that console.

Hope you guys are right. I'm sure this E3 is going to be a big media blowout for the game. Hopefully fears will be put to rest then.

Pokemaniac

I mean, it kind of does mean that. This is Nintendo. You think they're going to do work to get that running?

Especially at launch. No way.

Umm.... yeah? Nintendo has competent hardware and software developers. They could definitely come up with a decent BC solution if they wanted to. It could literally be as simple as including the Wii U CPU as a compatibility chip.

Hope you guys are right. I'm sure this E3 is going to be a big media blowout for the game. Hopefully fears will be put to rest then.

Yeah, I think it'll still happen mainly because they've been reiterating it as a WIi U game since... forever. Especially after all that buzz they got off the E3 2011 tech demo, the fact that they've reassured fans it's coming as recently as November (maybe more recently? it's still on their financial forecasts isn't it?), and plus most of the work is already done anyway. Nintendo know that the blowback would be immense so there's pretty much no real reason to cancel it.

I think beginning at E3 they'll push the NX version as the main SKU but make a point to clarify that the Wii U will still get it.

Pinky

Banned

If Nintendo moves Zelda to NX and cancels the Wii U version, they deserve all the hate coming to them.

It won't happen

trixx

I guess I have a rare console. Hopefully there's no backwards compatibility and just ports. If backwards compatibility limits the power, drop it.Make a Mario maker/kart/splatoon sequel and port bayonetta, smash, xenoblade, zelda

I might have to get a white Wii u console for myself at the end of the year so I don't have to share this one. I like the console *shrugs*

Simbabbad

This sort of makes me sad. The Wii U is an amazing console.

Also, I find it funny that everybody wanted to terminate the Wii U, yet now everybody cries for a Super Mario Maker sequel/port on NX. For this, the NX would need a touchscreen, and it's far from likely the NX will have one. And if it does, what's the difference with the Wii U, then? Being able to run the new handheld library and that's it?

While true, the GameCube had a much longer shelf life and would have been over 5 years old in Japan in October 2006.

I think Paper Mario will be cross-gen at worst because Nintendo doesn't want to iritate hardcore fans who bought a Wii U. It hasn't been a full gen and I'm sure they're aware of that, and how they need the hardcore Wii U fans for NX too, no matter how well it does.

I really, really doubt Paper Mario will be anything but a token Wii U game for its end-of-life.

I'm just pointing out that the announcement timing isn't really a good indicator since Super Paper Mario was actually announced at around the same time, and still was quietly moved to Wii.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How many goddamn times did Reggie and Shibata say Wii U after every goddamn time they said new Zelda two Directs ago? C'mon, people.

I'm not arguing it won't come to NX. It absolutely will. But the Wii U version getting cancelled is insane.

How many people have come in here saying how this is the shortest cycle ever without thinking about Dreamcast, Saturn, Neo Geo, the original Xbox etc?

Neo Geo was a premium product for a very long time. Xbox still went into the 360 generation? Production ended 2009 according to a quick look on wikipedia. Dreamcast could have actually continued iirc, Sega dropped out because they couldn't afford producing any more of them.

How many goddamn times did Reggie and Shibata say Wii U after every goddamn time they said new Zelda two Directs ago? C'mon, people.

I'm not arguing it won't come to NX. It absolutely will. But the Wii U version getting cancelled is insane.
It won't come to NX only. People need to relax. They're getting carried away with this news. It'll be cross plat just like TP was. It makes the most business sense.

I can see a positive in the negative.
The price is going to drop a lot here, so it's the perfect time to pick up a cheap WiiU for the game room!

Ansatz

I been thinking the last 5 minutes.

how can NX be bacwards compatible if nintendo desperately needs to get as far away as possible from that poisonous gamepad?

how will I play BC games if I've never owned a Wii U? No way in hell they'll produce them separately just to please a couple of costumers that want a WiiU game here and there and they are not making a gamepad version of the NX controller.

the only way I see it is the new controller somehow resembling the gamepad, which brings us to the starting point....

Nintendo has to retain the gamepad concept (controller with a screen in it) on NX console if they want to achieve control scheme parity with NX handheld, which is something they probably want to do given the shared library theory.

DjRalford

Gonna be an expensive year

PSVR in October

NX Shortly after

Another Though -

My disk drive stopped accepting disks lately, i have a suspicion my 2Yr old is to blame, so if they drop far enough in price i might pick up a replacement

cacildo

That's my question. Would the production ceasing mean backwards compatibility is likely, that way they can carry over the games of the past gen pretty easily.

And I'll ge to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions after all :D

Makes too much sense. They could just add a new cover saying "Wiiu/NX" and sell the same games to a totally new set of consumers...

...consumers that missed these games because they were set on the idea that the wiiu wasnt worthy

The only problem is that it makes too much sense. Which means nintendo wont do it

FyreWulff

How many people have come in here saying how this is the shortest cycle ever without thinking about Dreamcast, Saturn, Neo Geo, the original Xbox etc?

Game Boy Color got 2 years. GBA got 3. SNES was intended to be replaced after 4.

I think people just forgot how long the Wii U has actually been out.

Somnid

This is true and not. If the rumors are true, PS4 will still have games released for it for awhile

Well technically nothing is stopping Wii U releases either but once you're not the priority it tends to slide pretty quickly because AAA is still about the graphics Joneses and once the idea is planted you can never avoid the "should I wait?" problem and current owners won't feel safe anymore.

They could pull a square enix. Who knows.

What did Square Enix do again? Is this for FF Type-0 HD and Setsuna skipping Vita in the west, SO5 skipping PS3 in the west?

For the former, while regrettable it's true that a Vita version technically never existed in the first place (though I guess they could've made a port for Vita). Star Ocean is probably a combination of visibility (since the PS3 will be 2.5 years outdated by the time it launches) and potentially performance (since the PS3 footage looked rather rough and it's been delayed twice, now launching after the PS4 one in Japan).

Setsuna I'm not sure why, to be honest. But with Zelda the situation is a bit different (Wii U will still be relevant, if on its last legs, if it launches this holiday, Wii U is the lead platform, and there's a proven market for Zelda games on the system) so I think it will be fine.

I mean it's somewhat understandable even if some of those posters are being intentionally ignorant of those systems lifespans. Those systems weren't very successful (except maybe xbox [someone could probably chime in on a quote about how microsoft found their first console to be a success in their own right] I think I remember something along that lines in an article), one could say failure but that's more on the company behind it. those systems were forgotten by the mass market like the wii u
and interestingly enough, typically endeared by the hardcore niche such as, well, posters on neogaf

to many people [i'd imagine] recognize the wii u's "short [market] life" as a culmination of poor decisions made by nintendo, that isn't to say that there wasn't good that came out of the wii u, just that the product ultimately wasn't desirable enough to continue just like those systems people had "forgotten"

it's a real shame too, especially after the great successes nintendo had with the wii and the ds, at least the 3ds fared well, quite unfortunate for the wii u

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I really, really doubt Paper Mario will be anything but a token Wii U game for its end-of-life.

I'm just pointing out that the announcement timing isn't really a good indicator since Super Paper Mario was actually announced at around the same time, and still was quietly moved to Wii.

I never said it wasn't a token end of life game, but swan songs are not a bad thing (late gen games are best imo.)

I'm only saying that a lot has changed since 2006. The GameCube got a longer shelf life, remember, and Donkey Kong Bongo Blast was also moved and released in late 2007.

Hell, the NX hasn't even been announced yet, while the Wii was very much a thing when Super Paper Mario and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast were announced at E3 2006. This is both earlier in the year and with a next platform known only as a code name.

No way it doesn't get a Wii U release, whether it is an exclusive or cross-gen, this is a different situation.

Game Boy Color got 2 years. GBA got 3. SNES was intended to be replaced after 4.

GBC got more like 2 1/2. The half is significant when we're talking 2-3 years here.

SNES (in its Japanese incarnation) was not intended to be replaced after 4. The N64 was delayed, yes, but it was not supposed to come out in late 1994 which would have been 4 years in Japan. You have to remember that its the Western release dates that have come closer to the Japanese ones, but that doesn't change the system's original release date, which was 1990 as the Super Famicom. The N64 would have been 5 years later, and ended up 5 1/2.

KingWool

Banned

They may have been cut short; but the sheer amount of great games on those systems is in no comparison to that of the Wii U where it's hard to truly count 5.

bigmac996

I see your point, but also consider that development time on new consoles is over the span of years, rather than the comparatively short dev times on those older consoles. I think now it's expected that console generations should last longer than before.

trixx

Wii u owners (launch especially) who are going to buy the new conse at launch are nuts. Nintendo would have to have a crazy promotion where I can have all my virtual console library readily available for free and some other stuff like digital download promotion or whatever. Otherwise I'll wait this time. Still have quite a few games on Wii u I haven't completed.

OmegaDL50

They aren't manufacturing new WiiUs as of the end of 2016 per the article in the OP.

You do realize the the the console manufacturing halting doesn't stop game development right? They are two different things.

Nintendo is not going to simply scrap Zelda U which has been in development for few years because no more Wii U consoles are being made.

Trago

Wii u owners (launch especially) who are going to buy the new conse at launch are nuts. Nintendo would have to have a crazy promotion where I can have all my virtual console library readily available for free and some other stuff like digital download promotion or whatever. Otherwise I'll wait this time. Still have quite a few games on Wii u I haven't completed.

Doubt it. The NX is a fresh start. Which, unfortunately, means new VC and digital library. And that fucking sucks, but like the switch from PS3 to PS4, it's necessary because of the architecture switch.

Would be nice if they honored those digital purchases tho.

Top Bottom