• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

pooh

Why would they halt production of a system that would be part of the ecosystem?

Maybe they'll introduce a $99 Wii U Mini (running NX) as the budget console to compliment a new portable and more powerful home unit.

One thing I'm unsure of with this completely baseless theory, however, is how they would handle cross play between devices. Maybe they'll introduce a usb attachment so current Wii Us can play NX cartridges. Then the Wii U Mini would ditch discs and have a cartridge slot built in.

This is all just silly speculation on my part, however, and shouldn't be taken seriously by any means. :p

It just seems odd to me that Nintendo would completely abandon the Wii U so abruptly.

Astral Dog

I bet PLENTY money its being downported on Wii U now. The official released screens are in 1080 P. Unless they got that thang on Wii U at 1080P then no. Something more powerful than Wii U is what its being run on.
Of course? Nobody was expecting the final release to be anything more than 720p.

AniHawk

If Zelda U is ported to the NX, the Wii U won't have had a new and original Zelda game. No 3D Mario game either, unless you count Super Mario 3D World.

If you bought a PS4 on day one you knew what was coming. Eventually you would get Uncharted 4, The Last of Us 2, Gran Turismo 7 and The Last Guardian.

If you bought an Xbox One you knew Halo 5, Forza and Gears of War were coming.

I can't believe that a massive technology company like Nintendo can fail to market a console efficiently. It's been scatter brained since day one and after 4 years I still haven't seen a single TV advert for the console in the UK.

that is some serious reaching to discount the wii u getting a zelda game or the wii u getting a 3d mario game. i don't think ps4 owners expected to get the last guardian from the start, especially since that's what ps3 owners were expecting from its initial reveal.

the problems with the wiii u are at a fundamental level. it's such a fucked-up platform that there wasn't really any saving it or use in promoting it.

If Zelda U is ported to the NX, the Wii U won't have had a new and original Zelda game. No 3D Mario game either, unless you count Super Mario 3D World.

If you bought a PS4 on day one you knew what was coming. Eventually you would get Uncharted 4, The Last of Us 2, Gran Turismo 7 and The Last Guardian.

I can't believe that a massive technology company like Nintendo can fail to market a console efficiently. It's been scatter brained since day one and after 4 years I still haven't seen a single TV advert for the console in the UK.

Is not like anyone bought PS3 for FF13 Versus... oh wait!

You mean the game a bunch of people bought PS3s for? :V

Also as others have addressed all the goalpost moving regarding Mario and Zelda is ridiculous. Wii U owners WILL have had a 3D Mario and an original Zelda game when all is said and done. Maybe the latter's not exclusive and maybe the former's not Galaxy. Wii U players will still have had them and 3D World is still a great game.

What AniHawk's said is true too. The Wii U's problems are beyond just games or advertising. Nintendo misjudged the market and how easy the developmental process would be and they had to pay for it. Well, hopefully they'll have learned so I'm holding out that the NX won't have the same issues.

Nintendo denies the report. "That didn't come from us"

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1603/23/news081.html

TBF though, are they denying it all together, or are they just denying they said it? Two very different concepts.

Not surprised, I got it at launch and I got more than my money's worth in the end. They are going to have to knock it out of the fucking park for me to hop onto NX early though.

Astral Dog

that is some serious reaching to discount the wii u getting a zelda game or the wii u getting a 3d mario game. i don't think ps4 owners expected to get the last guardian from the start, especially since that's what ps3 owners were expecting from its initial reveal.

the problems with the wiii u are at a fundamental level. it's such a fucked-up platform that there wasn't really any saving it or use in promoting it.
people should just stop expecting a brand new, exclusive original console Zelda game for every N system, along with whatever definition true 3D Mario is.
Wii U is going to have its Zelda game, but...
And NX wont have a true Zelda designed for the system either...

Just because they're stopping production doesn't mean that they'll be hard to get either. Im sure they've been sitting on warehouses full of these guys.

Not necessarily. Japan is already experiencing shortages apparently. With Wii U selling poorly I doubt they put in any large orders after it took a while to sell through the initial production run.

AniHawk

it's pretty simple - nintendo didn't support the wii u basically at all

super mario 3d world is nothing like super mario galaxy or other 3d marios. it's more like a 2d mario game except in 3d.

new super mario bros. u is basically an upgrade on new super mario bros. except with completely new levels.

pikmin 3 is a holdover from the wii, and bayonetta 2 was going to be a game for ps4 if nintendo didn't swoop in and steal it.

then there's a collection of tech demos on a lot of little things like nintendoland, game and wario, nes remix, captain toad, and splatoon. super smash bros. also couldn't have been hard to make at this point considering most of the characters are done and they had bandai namco do all the work.

and then they gave the system the worst star fox game and paper mario. maybe nintendo will actually try next time.

This really doesn't make any sense.

What? It's very simple: no 3D Mario game unless you count the best 3D Mario game ever made, which you can't count because it's arbitrarily excluded.

rTRT9u3.gif

GamerJM

Banned
RIP.

I liked the console though it's definitely Nintendo's weakest effort yet. The third-party support was abysmal even compared to the N64/Gamecube/Wii. Smash, Captain Toad, Splatoon, and Donkey Kong are all fantastic though (though I'd rather play Melee than Smash 4, Smash 4 is still probably the best fan service game of all-time).

Daft Punk

Banned
What? It's very simple: no 3D Mario game unless you count the best 3D Mario game ever made, which you can't count because it's arbitrarily excluded.

rTRT9u3.gif

I hope you aren't trying to say 3D World is the best 3D Mario ever made, because it sure as hell isn't. Not when you have Galaxy 1 and 2 floating around with 64.

Lebon14

I'll drop those tweets here:
https://twitter.com/NForza26/status/712437832942354432
https://twitter.com/NForza26/status/712439597951619072

The guy is definitely not known as a news informer but anything but there's one thing: he's very active in video games, etc AND he's fluent Japanese/English (not native to Japan).

So, unfortunately, because people are so obssessed with getting NX and throwing away the Wii U, you all jumped the gun. Just because it's Nikkei it doesn't mean it's 100% legit. Look at the first tweet he made. The Nikkei even speculated the Wii U with GPS. The hell...

All to you guys.

I'm still worried that it's indeed true...

MK_768

super mario 3d world is nothing like super mario galaxy or other 3d marios. it's more like a 2d mario game except in 3d.

new super mario bros. u is basically an upgrade on new super mario bros. except with completely new levels.

pikmin 3 is a holdover from the wii, and bayonetta 2 was going to be a game for ps4 if nintendo didn't swoop in and steal it.

then there's a collection of tech demos on a lot of little things like nintendoland, game and wario, nes remix, captain toad, and splatoon. super smash bros. also couldn't have been hard to make at this point considering most of the characters are done and they had bandai namco do all the work.

and then they gave the system the worst star fox game and paper mario. maybe nintendo will actually try next time.

The fact that you are serious with this is laughable.

Anth0ny

sWdJH0A.gif

zeroroute

Banned
I have a weird history with the Wii U. Got it at launch primarily because I was hoping it wouldn't get shafted in the 3rd party department. Then 3rd parties didn't give a damn about and kept putting games on the hd twins instead, so in 2013 I got a ps3. Finally I got a new GPU last year. Here's hoping I don't feel betrayed this time around!

Reallink

If Zelda is out on NX at launch, will there be another Zelda on the NX before the system is over?

Maybe something like a Majora's Mask? Same engine, reuse a lot of assets, etc.

The latest "leaks" (admittedly dubious) hinting at little changing from Wii U suggests they could be looking at a failure that would make Wii U look like a sales success by comparison. They probably wouldn't even be able to count on the techno-phile early adopters who buy everything what with PSVR and possibly Xbox One.5 and PS4K coming out this year. Not sure there would be any Zelda at all in such a scenario.

It sounds like you got the process of making games down. Maybe you should you go to Nintendo and show them how it's done. I am sure they would benefit from your depth of knowledge.

hwy_61

Banned

EDIT: you're fucking around and I fell for that shit. Shame on me.

A4wy_f-maxage-0.gif

Did AniHawk get hijacked or something? I don't recall him ever saying anything this colossally stupid before.

Platnium got turned down by multiple publishers including Sony and microsoft for Bayonetta 2. It wouldn't exist without them

Banned
I got some real damn good responses to my question I asked earlier. I've read every single post. Thank you all! Seems like most of you are very happy with your purchase for the vastly fun exclusive titles, and are not contempt with the 4-5 year cycles of console, with some being disappointed at it. Someone brought up that 4-5 year cycle of a console is a norm and that last generation was an anomaly that lasted so long.

NX will probably release at the end of this year, making Nintendo's release a 4 year cycle.
PS4.5 and Xbox 1.5 may release at the end of 2017, also making it a 4 year cycle, but forcefully extending it's cycle to 8 years by making it an iteration. Should we expect future generations to be 4 year cycles for gaming, with a new iteration boosting the cycle to 8 years? With speculations of Xbox 1.5 or PS4.5, do you guys believe Sony and Microsoft are desperate to extend the generation of the console cycle to match last gen's anomaly?
With nx likely going with the incremental hardware upgrades along with Xbox, and Xbox One.Five and PS4K being released closer to nx, I think this new half gen is gonna be fun.

Maybe Nintendo won't get left out with the third party ports this time due to weak hardware. Now if they don't get the support because of low sales that's another matter.

Instro

All lower case is perfect formatting.

Yagharek

rTRT9u3.gif

There's a level in 3D World with the moving flagpole. It's the perfect gif for the dumb posts about how 'it's not a real 3d Mario because reasons'.

Banned
The sad part is back in April 2011 when project cafe was leaked by IGN, my google and n4g searches lead me to this beautiful forum called Neogaf. I read every single dumb post of those Wii U speculation threads as a lurker and formally joined in March 2012 (didn't get approved till right after E3 2012). I remember myself, along with many nintendo gag members being so hyped. To see it end like this is sad, not when five years later.

Here's hoping the nx sells at least N64 numbers for its console sku and gba numbers for its handheld.

FStubbs

With nx likely going with the incremental hardware upgrades along with Xbox, and Xbox One.Five and PS4K being released closer to nx, I think this new half gen is gonna be fun.

Maybe Nintendo won't get left out with the third party ports this time due to weak hardware. Now if they don't get the support because of low sales that's another matter.

Nah, the third parties will find some other excuse.

LOL if you think Rockstar, Bethesda, EA, etc will ever support Nintendo hardware. (Well, again in EA's case)

Top Bottom