• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo to offer more low-cost software - 3DS remasters (?), more free demos

Massa

Brian★;150873680 said:
Probably to cater with people at China. Nintendo is now officially heading into the Chinese Market.

As a Brazilian I can give you a preview of what Nintendo will do here:

1) Release the system and games with no localization, charge 50% more than competing products;

2) In face of low sales complain about piracy;

3) Release a system where piracy isn't possible and games still sell like shit (see 1);

4) Exit the market, blame somebody else.

Marcel

I have seen this come up a lot recently, especially when discussing next gen, but people don't seem to grasp that handhelds are Nintendo's main product. Consoles are secondary and have been for nearly twenty years. I think Nintendo was trying to keep the pretense that they are of equal importance but they are kinda ditching that now, for the better in my opinion,

I think people have grasped that Nintendo is both stronger on handhelds and is stuck supporting an albatross called the WiiU (for now). The problem is that even the handheld market isn't great and most metrics point to stuff like the 3DS being on the way out (or at least becoming even more niche).

Whenever a corporation uses the term "customer choice", 99% of the time it means they are trying to screw the customer as much as legally possible.

Let's hope Nintendo is the rare 1%.

Where's that NOA PR quote about 'expanding customer choice' by not releasing the regular N3DS?

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'd quite like to see 3DS games ported to Wii U if possible. Just up the res, throw in some antialiasing and any "free" visual effects that are suitable. Sell them as 3DS remasters or something so people aren't expecting a complete remake.

It just seems absurd that I've got a dual screen home system that "can't" play something like Kid Icarus, Pilotwings Resort or Majora's Mask for no real practical reason than "we want to sell more 3DS hardware". Meanwhile I'm playing these games on my couch on a tiny screen with awful resolution and awful sound if I don't wear headphones with a big 1080p TV and sound system sat doing nothing.

The 3DS is coming to the end of its life so cannibalisation really isn't going to be an issue and it would help fill the droughts no end.

mclem

Nikkei? Pah, waiting for a better source. I only accept any Nintendo digital product-related news these days if it's delivered by Baito.

Oregano

I think people have grasped that Nintendo is both stronger on handhelds and is stuck supporting an albatross called the WiiU (for now). The problem is that even the handheld market isn't great and most metrics point to stuff like the 3DS being on the way out (or at least becoming even more niche).

But Wii U isn't the outlier. Nintendo handhelds might be irrelevant in the future but Nintendo consoles are irrelevant now.

I'd quite like to see 3DS games ported to Wii U if possible. Just up the res, throw in some antialiasing and any "free" visual effects that are suitable. Sell them as 3DS remasters or something so people aren't expecting a complete remake.

It just seems absurd that I've got a dual screen home system that "can't" play something like Kid Icarus, Pilotwings Resort or Majora's Mask for no real practical reason than "we want to sell more 3DS hardware". Meanwhile I'm playing these games on my couch on a tiny screen with awful resolution and awful sound if I don't wear headphones with a big 1080p TV and sound system sat doing nothing.

The 3DS is coming to the end of its life so cannibalisation really isn't going to be an issue and it would help fill the droughts no end.

The problem is those games still have to be ported because the systems aren't similar at all. It's wasted resources for minimal returns. It has nothing to do with selling more 3DS, they could discontinue it tomorrow and it still wouldn't make sense.

A large part of what Iwata has mentioned for the successors is aimed at making it easier to share libraries; whether that means making it easier to port/do multiplatform releases or if they will share the exact same libraries remaims to be seem.

Bullza2o

I have a feeling Splatoon might be an example of this. It is a new IP that needs recognition, so they might make free trials or even F2P modes for it. Maybe.

samn

As a Brazilian I can give you a preview of what Nintendo will do here:

1) Release the system and games with no localization, charge 50% more than competing products;

2) In face of low sales complain about piracy;

3) Release a system where piracy isn't possible and games still sell like shit (see 1);

4) Exit the market, blame somebody else.

How can anyone make a post about a foreign hardware manufacturer and Brazil with no mention of taxes?

samn

Low cost software? I love Captain Toad but I hope this isn't an example of what they mean. It was 75% of the price for 40% of the content you'd get in a typical full-price Nintendo game.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
vague as fuck but here come the conclusion jumpers

tom-smykowski-jump-to-conclusions-mat-office-space.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sounds like the right direction to me. Nintendo's next handheld must have a huge f2p and cheap2play catalog.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be waiting for that Link to the Past remaster using the A Link Between Worlds engine on 3DS this fall or next spring, with Amiibo support and some New 3DS specific features.

You know it's going to happen...

Axass

Make all the virtual console games 0.99, or make a different bunch of them momentarily free each week.
You've got your huge ftp catalogue already.

Not sure how would this turn out actually.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll be waiting for that Link to the Past remaster using the A Link Between Worlds engine on 3DS this fall or next spring, with Amiibo support and some New 3DS specific features.

You know it's going to happen...

Money just flew out of my wallet.

What's there to talk about? It's dead. Nintendo is not going to scrap everything they have in the pipeline because they don't want to embarrass themselves further, but they would be dumb to invest much more into it.
Does this mean we're not getting an HD Metroid game :/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
well then, I'm expecting a product that can produce Nintendo-like profits in 2017

That's exactly what I took from this.

I really think we're getting a low-cost handheld with no 3D but better screen/power. It shouldn't be that hard in 2016.

Plinko

At that point what's the difference? May as well game on a phone.

They'll have Nintendo licensing, which is why Nintendo won't release games on smartphones.

SerTapTap

re-create games for the Nintendo 3DS portable system based on past titles and smartphone offerings

Couldn't be less interested, playing phone games on my 3DS might be the only way to make them uglier and less comfortable. And again there's scarcely a console out there which would be improved by 3DS controls, I'm buying MM3D but Xenoblade, no friggin way.

Everything else sounds great though, assuming they cut out this "limited demo" crap. Love to see more $30, $40, $50 titles.

See, I am absolutely fine with remasters. They have enough of a class library to do so. What I am truly excited about is demo games! I have never played Monster Hunter before, so a demo for that would go down a treat. It's just always alluded my radar.

See, I am absolutely fine with remasters. They have enough of a class library to do so. What I am truly excited about is demo games! I have never played Monster Hunter before, so a demo for that would go down a treat. It's just always alluded my radar.

Um, there are demos of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/4 Ultimate on 3DS already, and a demo of the HD version of 3 on Wii U...

Griss

Good. Sounds like they're getting one of the three pillars of a successful new handheld in place.

The 3 pillars:
-Lots of cheap / free software (even if most of the free stuff is just free to try)
-Low priced hardware
-Attractive industrial design

Put those together and you should have a winner.

Vena

At that point what's the difference? May as well game on a phone.

Controls, branding, licensing, general knowledge that your product will work, and some level of curating of software.

I have a huge phone, it is not a pleasant experience to play all that many games on it, also its a pain in the ass when I swap ROMS or when a game simply cannot play on my ROM at all.

Sounds like the right direction to me. Nintendo's next handheld must have a huge f2p and cheap2play catalog.

Agreed. This is a good idea going forward, it gives them more revenue streams from casuals/whales, and its a way to attract the phone software crowd with possible cross-brand recognition. Also just fattens up the library and gives the consumer a slew of choices and demos to possibly get hooked by...

How oddly forward thinking of them.

M3d10n

If Nintendo makes "premium" versions of some mobile games a-la Puzzle & Dragons with all (or the most egregious) F2P stripped away, it would be quite interesting.

For those of you who don't know the free game with MK8 promotion was two free month long trials of games in Japan instead. I assume that is what they mean by more trials and not so much more f2p.

Now for my random thoughts on Rusty. I'm European so the game isn't out (plus don't have an NNID on my 3DS to get it) and it seemed to me to be like a $10 game that if you want the full content you have to part with $15 at minimum (if you're insane/impatient $40) and sit through all the gimmicky story.

As someone who owns a 3DS but not a wii/wiiu I like this. Hopefully this means we can get some more GC or wii ports to the 3DS/n3DS. Imagine Mario Sunshine 3D, or Baten Kaitos 3D.

Somnid

I think they need more P&D type deals. Get exclusive retail versions of popular mobile games redesigned with less IAP. I'm sure the gaming conscious userbase of 3DS would actually like that quite a bit because they hate bullshit but want to play trendy and well designed things. It also gets newer brands from mobile but packages them in a different and unique way such that it's exclusive. You could even easily trade many of the IAP systems for Streetpass/Play coins.

Top Bottom