• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo to offer more low-cost software - 3DS remasters (?), more free demos

samn

I think they need more P&D type deals. Get exclusive retail versions of popular mobile games redesigned with less IAP. I'm sure the gaming conscious userbase of 3DS would actually like that quite a bit because they hate bullshit but want to play trendy and well designed things.

Nail on the head. I loved Cut the Rope and Rayman Fiesta Run before they added in all this microtransactions bullshit.

If there's any more remasters, I'd only want more N64 games at best, on 3DS. Anything else? Wii U.

GameCube games are best suited for HD remasters, not 3D, imo.

Reallink

Sounds like they're confirming cheap outdated hardware for their next platform with that Nintendo like profit quote.

Wildean

Why does anyone welcome the idea of more F2P Nintendo games? To me it runs counter to Nintendo's long held philosophy that their software should be premium price, but hold its value - that players should want to keep and replay their titles. F2P, on the other hand, is all about being fleeting and disposable.

After decades following Nintendo, I have copies of Mario 3, and Ocarina of Time, and MK8 and plenty more. I will keep them. But F2P games? You never really "have" them to begin with. It's probably the inevitable solution to poor third party support restricting their platforms' libraries (and of course it apes what the current runaway success ie mobile is doing), but creatively it sounds like a backward step.

samn

What's the problem with microtransactions in Rayman Fiesta Run?

They led to the addition of this whole items metasystem that bothers me every time I start a level. I just don't want to look at it. Don't want to have to skip past the screen, wouldn't want to think about conserving my lums if I was one of these item users. I am never going to buy one of these items, I want to complete a level on my own merits. The fact that it's part of their monetisation strategy just kicks something in my brain that reminds me how tacky the whole enterprise feels compared to their previous game.

If there's any more remasters, I'd only want more N64 games at best, on 3DS. Anything else? Wii U.

Agreed. A remaster should look better than the original, not worse.

Good example: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Bad example: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Shiggy

They led to the addition of this whole items metasystem that bothers me every time I start a level. I just don't want to look at it. Don't want to have to skip past the screen, wouldn't want to think about conserving my lums if I was one of these item users. I am never going to buy one of these items, I want to complete a level on my own merits. The fact that it's part of their monetisation strategy just kicks something in my brain that reminds me how tacky the whole enterprise feels compared to their previous game.

Oh I see. It was ok for me personally but I can see your point. Rayman Jungle Run definitely was the better game anyway.

Pokemon F2P mobile would print money like they've never seen.

I agree with this, but I still consider DKCR 3D an upgrade because it has proper controls.

Qurupeke

Until now the F2P stuff on Nintendo consoles is rather mediocre. I enjoyed the Steel Diver game a lot but then they fucked it up with the play coins and I haven't played it since then.

Scrawnton

Yes but now the New 3DS exists and Wii games will be able to run better. Honestly, I think donkey kong barely running on 3DS is what prompted nintendo to make the New 3DS, which can run Wii's most technically impressive game (xenoblade).

Think about it, if nintendo (monster games) developed a quick porting style for Wii games to n3DS (which needed to exist because of how rough DKCR turned out) we could be seeing a lot of ports to the system. I for one look forward to this.

Guevara

I got to say, an extremely reductive reading of this would be:

> For years, people have wanted Nintendo-quality games to come to their phone.
> Instead, Nintendo is going to bring phone-like games to their handhelds.

Josh7289

The information reads like a 3 month old article
- affordable titles: Capt Toad, Rainbow Curse
- remastered old games for 3DS: Majora's Mask, Xenoblade
- more trial games: Pokemon Shuffle

We may be in for even more of things like these but it reads like it's forecasting the present.

I agree. This doesn't sound like any major change in strategy to me.

Tom_Cody

As far as N64 games, I would love to see:

Mario 64
Pokémon Snap
Wave Race 64
Rogue Squadron
1080° Snowboarding

Tom_Cody

Not saying I disagree with your larger point, but I 100%ed Returns 3D and I'm very happy that it exists. I simply play my 3DS much much more than my Wii U due to the convenience the system provides.

I would be happy with a Gamecube Twilight Princess port, since I've been wanting to revisit the game, but don't feel like dealing with the motion controls in the Wii version I have. However, since they're just releasing MM next week, I don't really see this happening in the remaining lifespan of the system.

Diffense

Sounds like their response to mobile phone games. I think the new Pokemon puzzle game might be typical of what they want to do more of.

Oregano

Sounds like they're confirming cheap outdated hardware for their next platform with that Nintendo like profit quote.

Not necessarily. Any success the 3DS had was negated by the Wii U but we're now at the point where Nintendo is profitable with the comatose Wii U and declining 3DS. If new hardware hits and doesn't complete fail it will do them a world of good.

Also whilst the profit margins on the DS and Wii were nice it was the insane software sales that made Nintendo so profitable.

CANLI

Iwata also mentions to expect no price-cut in the near future, and expects Nintendo-like profits in the year ending March 2017.

...Yeah, I think we know when the next handheld is coming.

Nintendo has some of the longest running franchises on the planet and they've been very modest about banking upon that. I think that lack of modest pricing on their software is one of their issues. If eshop titles were at more affordable prices I think it would be better for them.

As Steve Jobs once said to struggling book publishers: "Price aggressively and go for volume."

Their eshop games price are really affordable.
if people can go to the restaurants every month or buy cigarettes everyday, then eshop prices are good. Don't forget that every developers must pay taxes too.

PS: owning a jap 3ds and the badge thing is too attractive and it's too difficult to resist without paying

Top Bottom