• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that 3DS Lite is coming, thickness and runtime improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf NB

Longer battery life with the same (or even smaller) battery is possible when you can increase the energy efficiency and the quality of the battery itself.
You can't. Battery technology has been in a complete standstill for years, and basically any mobile battery from any manufacturer has the same capacity/volume/weight ratios. The thing Nintendo used at 3DS's launch is not "too cheap" or "too low quality". No such thing is even available. It was state of the art, and it still is.

It might take 5 or 10 years until batteries get better again.

As someone who can read the print...this isnt even a rumor. Its noting a "possibility". Pure speculation.

that being said, of course it is true.

春[3DS Lite]が登場か
3DSの普及を進めるために弱点である「厚み」や「騒動時間」を改良した軽量バージョンが出る可能性がある。

Oh my.

BurntPork

Banned
Yeah, it is a bit silly.

A redesign in a few months is only slightly earlier than the DS Lite. It will most likely render the circle-pad add-on incompatible, so that will be included. They were never going to keep that around for very long, it screamed stop-gap because of the games that were releasing already.

The circle-pad add-on was throwing a bone to developers to get them onboard, one of the other bones would be that it would be standard in a future revision.

And the change in the form-factor is what will allow for a bigger battery. We'll see how it pans out, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't play out like this.

But at this rate, there will be three months between new models. :/

You can't. Battery technology has been in a complete standstill for years, and basically any mobile battery from any manufacturer has the same capacity/volume/weight ratios. The thing Nintendo used at 3DS's launch is not "too cheap" or "too low quality". No such thing is even available. It was state of the art, and it still is.

It might take 5 or 10 years until batteries get better again.

Why is battery design lagging so badly?

Rhod

"Will 3DS Lite Make an Appearance?

To continue the spread/momentum, a version addressing the 'weak points' (thickness, runtime) is a possibility."

EDIT: gah, beaten. should have refreshed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As someone who can read the print...this isnt even a rumor. Its noting a "possibility". Pure speculation.

春[3DS Lite]が登場か

As well as the MH on Vita thing?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We all knew this was coming. Most important thing is that they get a second analog stick on there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thinner but wider to accommodate the slide pad additions as standard? Then you'd have more space for bigger (but thinner) battery?

Indyana

春[3DS Lite]が登場か

Wait, what does it say about the Monster Hunter Vita rumor?

Edit: beaten.

Pezking

There's no 2nd joystiq, so I'm going to call BS on this

Since the circle pad is Gamestop exclusive in the US, I don't think Nintendo thinks of the second stick as a new standard. For the time being, it's an optional gimmick, nothing more. They would sell it everywhere if they think every 3DS gamer will sooner or later have to buy one.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next 3DS revision still features just one analog stick.

But at this rate, there will be three months between new models. :/
Or 1-2 years, like it has been the last decade.

Game Boy Advance: Mar 2001
Game Boy Advance SP: Feb 2003
Game Boy micro: Sep 2005

Nintendo DS: Nov 2004
Nintendo DS lite: Mar 2006
Nintendo DSi: Nov 2008
Nintendo DSi XL: Nov 2009

Nintendo 3DS: Feb 2011
???

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Some anonymous industry person claims it will definitely happen within the year....yeah.

I'd imagine Nintendo have that one pretty much nailed down, it wouldn't have been cheap.

Then again it is Capcom and their different versions of the same game, but Nintendo know how they work just as well as we do.

Can't see anything appearing on Vita till well after MH4, and by then Nintendo will have got what they wanted anyway which is to move the userbase across.

Or 1-2 years, like it has been the last decade.

Game Boy Advance: Mar 2001
Game Boy Advance SP: Feb 2003
Game Boy micro: Sep 2005

Nintendo DS: Nov 2004
Nintendo DS lite: Mar 2006
Nintendo DSi: Nov 2008
Nintendo DSi XL: Nov 2009

Nintendo 3DS: Feb 2011
Nintendo 3DS U Apr 14 2011 NEW LOVE PLUS EDITION

fixed :O

matmanx1

My plan is to play through Tales of the Abyss on my current unit (releases early Feb here in the States, right?) and then probably sell the first gen 3DS and wait on the revision. The current unit is just not comfortable for extended play in my hands and that's the number one issue I hope will be corrected in any future revision.

muu

Speculation, not rumor, by Nikkei Trendy, not Nikkei. Might as well believe the rumors that Game Laboratory magazines pull out of their ass.

I do find it highly amusing that this comes out in such a form from jin115 right as the Japanese internet/2ch community is screaming all over about the stealth marketing schemes various sites have been pulling for years. With the number of people still falling for this (and they can even read what the snippets say!) no wonder certain companies will impersonate themselves as one-man 2ch roundup site reporters to shill their products.

Rolf NB

Why is battery design lagging so badly?
It's not subject to litography advancements. New materials and material treatments are needed for battery advances, and that sort of research just isn't on the same semi-reliable clockwork progression as chip manufacturing.

Advances have been made, of course:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-ion#History

But it was basically "all done" in 2004.

The next big thing are graphene-silicon compounds for the electrodes, but this is still research-phase stuff. It will take years before it's ready for the mass market.

If it comes with a built-in second stick, I might buy.
Will wait for the inevitable 2014 redesign otherwise.
Really not feeling this new generation of handhelds, and I love my DS/PSP.

M3d10n

The main way to improve battery life while having a thinner system is if the parts they are using are less energy intensive.

This would either have to come from changes to the screen's energy draw or by using less power intensive versions of their CPU, GPU, and/or RAM chips.

Maybe they are going to release an OLED model? I don't think they are going to have die shrinks this early. It'll also allow the unit to be slightly thinner (think DSi) without reducing the battery size and they could have a reason to charge $199 for it (specially if they pack better CCDs for the cameras).

monome

Smaller footprint, longer run time.

I laugh at you firm believers of Nintendo getting a bigger 3DS out.

Also calling a "smart craddle" (2nd stick, buttons, rechargeable, tighter, sexy) on this thing.

IrishNinja

Fuck yeah, glad I waited.

Second analog please Nintendo.

Built in frankenstick?

春[3DS Lite]が登場か

Smaller footprint, longer run time.

I laugh at you firm believers of Nintendo getting a bigger 3DS out.

yeah, i dont really see it for a while either (with them apparently selling these current models at a loss), mostly wishful thinking.

Ty4on

It had to be redesigned, its one of the ugliest electronic devices of recent years. There was no effort made to make the original look attractive.

People should be pointing and laughing at it rather than buying it.
6310214442_88b34e028b.jpg
nintendo_3ds_ice_white-16989089-frntl.jpg

There are prettier looking devices, but ugliest in recent years?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Better battery, second analog stick, I'll be all in. THE REVISION: YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WAIT FOR IT!

Maybe they are going to release an OLED model? I don't think they are going to have die shrinks this early. It'll also allow the unit to be slightly thinner (think DSi) without reducing the battery size and they could have a reason to charge $199 for it (specially if they pack better CCDs for the cameras).
If they do go OLED, I could see them pulling a SP V2 and doing OLED models of the lower priced original 3DS units to compliment the new premium version (CPPro controls, larger screens, better cameras, larger but thinner formfactor, etc). I still think having two 3DS models on shelves targeting different consumer bases makes sense.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why Nintendo would need a revision right now. To me it seems like they can keep 3DS momentum up by simply releasing software at a steady pace and hold out for a revision until late 2013/2014.

M3d10n

Why are you guys talking about the 2nd analog? It's not mentioned in the article, anywhere. The fact it's a GameStop exclusive in the US should be enough to show that Nintendo only released the add-on to "tick a checkbox".

What the fuck is happening lately? Seriously.

First, yesterday someone said that all Japanese retailers were going to cut Vita 3G's price in 20%, when it was just an isolated case. Thankfully that one didn't spread wildly on GAF, but I saw it in LOTS of small news sites and forums.

Then, Kotaku also couldn't read properly Nintendo's press note and thought that it had revealed a new Mario Party and a new Pokémon for the Nintendo 3DS. It's true that the press note was poorly worded, but come on...

And now, this one. If it just says it's a possibility, then why bother posting it? Yes, I am mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom