• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Skilletor

I stop using the dragon sword as soon as I get a new weapon. It's my least favorite weapon.

Yeah, refreshing, isn't it? There is a vocal minority of gamers who can't bear the thought of their beloved franchises changing. I would understand the negativity if they had actually played the game, but that isn't the case. Let's wait and see; it might actually (gasp) turn out to be a good game. And possibly be worthy of the NG name.

Why would I want my beloved franchise to change? That's why I love it. I have expectations of a certain franchise. This doesn't seem like change, it seems like a devolution.

When I want change, I play games in different franchises. I want a new bayonetta because I loved the way the first played and want more of it. I want DoA5 because I like the way DoA plays. etc, etc.

More spoilers

1. looks like momiji aids you in chapter 5 and those pics you saw were from the single player.

2. seeing as almost all the unlockables mentioned seemed to be for the clan battle mode, its not really a play through kind of situation. the stuff unlocks when you reach a certain level of karma. most of this is acquired through ninja trials so im not even sure if the sp game has any effect at all. other than that you do get ultimate ninja mode when you beat it

3. dont think there are different UT's as in different inputs. the way it sounds is jinran maru and dragon sword are basically the same, and when you get blade of the arch fiend some animations change, but the inputs to do them are the same. also looks like BOTAF gets about 20 or more exclusive moves

4. havent read anything about a new game plus so honestly i dont know if its in there or not

5. you get dragon sword in day 1, jinran maru in day 2, bow in day 2, explosive bow in day 3 and blade of the arch fiend in day 5

6. doesnt mention decapitations or anything, but they DO still have OT's. apparently now you can only use them on people who are inches from death. also, now since they arent as powerful as they were in NG2, now when you do an OT you are invincible during the animation and it cant be interrupted.

as for the ninja trials, im pretty sure the co op is online only, so no ai partners

What a fucking joke.

Skilletor

Just read ToS's impressions.

The fucking rocket ninjas are back? :( :( :( :(

That is the most depressing bit of information I've read about the game. I thought after NGS2, I didn't have to worry about projectile spam.

Just read ToS's impressions.

The fucking rocket ninjas are back? :( :( :( :(

That is the most depressing bit of information I've read about the game. I thought after NGS2, I didn't have to worry about projectile spam.

They are not as bad to defeat in the demo, in fact they were pretty easy, but one thing that worried me was the rate of fire for the multilauncher rocket ninja had increased. That might cause a big problem in the higher difficulties.

Edit: NGS2 had its projectile spam moments too. Not as bad as OG NG2 but still pretty frustrating at times.

I just hope they don't keep throwing shit at you constantly, from off-screen like the IS ninjas in NG2 on the Xbox.

Long as the only spawn one at a time, you have nothing to worry about. But if there is any comparable level to NG2 where your on a lake and have to get to the huts with rocket ninjas, or anything like the plane level in NG2, on master ninja, your gonna be fucked.

I just hope they don't keep throwing shit at you constantly, from off-screen like the IS ninjas in NG2 on the Xbox. God, that game was a fucking piece of shit.

No unlockables!?!?!? You're KILLING me, Smalls

Drewfonse

I stop using the dragon sword as soon as I get a new weapon. It's my least favorite weapon.

Why would I want my beloved franchise to change? That's why I love it. I have expectations of a certain franchise. This doesn't seem like change, it seems like a devolution.

When I want change, I play games in different franchises. I want a new bayonetta because I loved the way the first played and want more of it. I want DoA5 because I like the way DoA plays. etc, etc.

I hear ya. I should have said evolve instead of change. Or maybe devolve would be more appropriate, considering the prevailing tone in this thread. Once again, I love the NG franchise, but I'm willing to keep an open mind about the final product. I certainly won't be pre ordering, but that doesn't mean that I won't be an early adopter.

Drewfonse

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31214808&postcount=409

Don't try it.

Edit: and don't try "a demo is not indicative of the full game" either as the same things I pointed out 6 months odd ago are being pointed out in the retail copy. It's just more of the same ninja doggery.

Point taken. You've played it and you hate it. The point has been made abundantly clear.

And you may have different expectations compared to me as to what constitutes a satisfying NG experience. The same can be said about all game reviewers' opinions, so I suppose I should rent it ASAP this week to see if it lives up to its namesake. For me.

d0c_zaius

I got to play an earlier rev and was really excited as I am a NG fan.

The pacing changes to the fights and the QTEs really turned me off quick. Doesnt feel like a NG game to me.

Point taken. You've played it and you hate it. The point has been made abundantly clear.

And you may have different expectations compared to me as to what constitutes a satisfying NG experience. The same can be said about all game reviewers' opinions, so I suppose I should rent it ASAP this week to see if it lives up to its namesake. For me.

Maybe you should step up your reading comprehension. I dont hate it and nothing i have said would suggest otherwise. While I will point out its flaws and take a extremely dim few of the team making it, I haven't ruled out buying it at a bomba price because at its core, it is still NG.

I just tend to lean towards the hardcore side of the NG community and my words are a reflection of that.

I have never said once its a bad game. Just a bad Ninja gaiden. It will still be one of the better action focused games released this year by default.

but is it fun

I'd say so. Extremely disappointing, but there is fun to be had with the title.

Agree, genuinely the most disappointed I've ever been with a game.

Despite your Blanka love, I think you and I are in the same boat here. I ADORED the first NG/NGB. Hundreds of hours spent on that game. NG2 was my most anticipated game, and I hated so much about it. The dumbed down linear level design, the constant slowdown, the projectile spam from off-screen even on normal, multiple game freezes, lazy/terrible boss designs, no unlockable costumes('cept, uh, TIGER PRINT or something), no Mission Mode...just a huge step down from NGB. The combat was fun, but besides that the game was a rushed mess. I think I can dedicate a whole blog entry to how HORRIBLE that South American mission was. I wanna know who's idea of fun was running across water in the dark avoiding bombs and exploding arrows from off-screen. I wanna know who's idea of good game design was spawning enemies out of nowhere to attack you only once you jump on the horizontal rope and you're vulnerable and fall down. I wanna know who thought that green butthole cave with the giant worm was an acceptable thing to ship out looking and playing like absolute SHIT.

NGS2 was like one step forward, one step back. They'll improve the framerate, but they'll take out most of the blood and limbs. They'll tone down some of the stupid ass levels(South American mission, I'm looking at you), but you can only upgrade one weapon a level so you have jack shit to spend essence on. We'll give you some GOOD boss fights like the solo dragon fight in South America or Marbus, that have actual patterns you can learn and shit, but we'll also give you these boring ass boss fights versus giant statues and boring ass female missions walking in a straight line for 40 minutes mashing buttons with your one weapon. I think it's BETTER then NG2, but I still think its a pretty flawed game all things considered.

edit: OMG I just remembered that fucking exploding Armadillo from NG2. This giant thing comes out of fucking nowhere, there's a tedious battle, and then if you don't, IDK, BLOCK THE EXPLOSION WITH YOUR SWORD, you die instantly and have to fight TWO bosses all over again.

why

why

why

Despite your Blanka love, I think you and I are in the same boat here. I ADORED the first NG/NGB. Hundreds of hours spent on that game. NG2 was my most anticipated game, and I hated so much about it. The dumbed down linear level design, the constant slowdown, the projectile spam from off-screen even on normal, multiple game freezes, lazy/terrible boss designs, no unlockable costumes('cept, uh, TIGER PRINT or something), no Mission Mode...just a huge step down from NGB. The combat was fun, but besides that the game was a rushed mess. I think I can dedicate a whole blog entry to how HORRIBLE that South American mission was. I wanna know who's idea of fun was running across water in the dark avoiding bombs and exploding arrows from off-screen. I wanna know who's idea of good game design was spawning enemies out of nowhere to attack you only once you jump on the horizontal rope and you're vulnerable and fall down. I wanna know who thought that green butthole cave with the giant worm was an acceptable thing to ship out looking and playing like absolute SHIT.

NGS2 was like one step forward, one step back. They'll improve the framerate, but they'll take out most of the blood and limbs. They'll tone down some of the stupid ass levels(South American mission, I'm looking at you), but you can only upgrade one weapon a level so you have jack shit to spend essence on. We'll give you some GOOD boss fights like the solo dragon fight in South America or Marbus, that have actual patterns you can learn and shit, but we'll also give you these boring ass boss fights versus giant statues and boring ass female missions walking in a straight line for 40 minutes mashing buttons with your one weapon. I think it's BETTER then NG2, but I still think its a pretty flawed game all things considered.

edit: OMG I just remembered that fucking exploding Armadillo from NG2. This giant thing comes out of fucking nowhere, there's a tedious battle, and then if you don't, IDK, BLOCK THE EXPLOSION WITH YOUR SWORD, you die instantly and have to fight TWO bosses all over again.

why

why

why

I'm on the fence with this. While I agree that NG2 was a very flawed game at points, it's highs for me can't be matched.

NGS2 is just a so much more flat experience...almost boring.

I'd love to play NG2 that had a couple more months refinement. In my view it is still the better game, as long as you view it as the opposite side of the coin to NG1/B. speed and destruction vs rock paper sissors combat ballet

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You can decide to only use the same character with the same style in fighting games, but where's the fun in that?

I tend to play the same character all the time. It's how you get better.

People have been pissing all over this game pretty much since it was announced.

Yes, they are making some changes to a beloved combat system, and that MIGHT have a negative effect. Ninja Gaiden 2 changed almost nothing about the combat system save decaps, and that certainly didn't help THAT game's quality. Change or no-change is not the deciding factor of whether the game will be good. It's whether the changes are smart, and the designers factor them into the design of the combat scenarios.

I'm more than happy to give it a shot, cause even if it's significantly worse than Ninja Gaiden Black and [some parts of] Ninja Gaiden 2, there's still a good chance it will be the best character action game of the year.

EDIT: Wait, there are people who didn't use the Dragon Sword 90% of the time? I used the other weapons for shits and giggles, and to check out the animations and stuff, but I'd always go back to the bread and butter. Dragon Sword has always been the most effective weapon.

TripOpt55

I used the Dragon Sword for most of my first run, but I loved having other weapons for missions and second playthroughs, so I will miss them a lot.

I am still looking forward to playing this. I'm sure I will still enjoy it though probably not as much as the other games.

Skilletor

EDIT: Wait, there are people who didn't use the Dragon Sword 90% of the time? I used the other weapons for shits and giggles, and to check out the animations and stuff, but I'd always go back to the bread and butter. Dragon Sword has always been the most effective weapon.

Couldn't care less about effective. I care about fun. And I certainly had no problems finishing any version of the several NGs with my weapon of choice. It's pretty much turning Ryu into another character. It adds immense replay value to the games.

Kusagari

The scythe was overpowered as hell in 2.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Worried about the bosses as some of them sound a little lame, but maybe they'll look better in-game. Worried also because the descriptions don't fit in with the NG lore as we know from what we're told so far. But then again, these spoilers could be bunk.

thelastword

Banned
This game has been getting so much flak since it was announced, hell, one guy wanted to do the OP just so he could bash the game, this is crazy. The game gets decent reviews, so of course the reviewer/s must be full of it since this game cant be good.

I've never seen so many swear by a gaming director as much as Itagaki, as if he did Ninja Gaiden all by his lonesome. Alternatively, I've heard so many negatives on Mr. Hayashi, that a sensible and fair person would stand up for the guy just because. So the question must be asked, what is so wrong with Hayashi and his output so far? He's put out quite a few games in the last three years, what has Itagaki done except a broken NG2. I mean, most of these "I am a huge Ninja Gaiden fan" guys, who are on this negative parade should know that it was hayashi who primarily designed the Ai for NG. The difficulty they all talk about, the challenge of the black spider ninjas and other enemies is all part of hayashi's work.

At this point, it seems that some folks here are bigger fans of Itagaki as opposed to Ninja Gaiden, so for their sake I hope devil's third is this uber action game, that only Itagaki can deliver. I'm convinced that whatever Hayashi did, he would be slammed by these fans. If Hayashi didn't change the NG formula, it would be said that he didn't do nothing new and didn't have the vision to take the NG series forward. On the flips since he did change things up, so much backlash, for what? A game so many haven't even played.

One thing stays true in all of this, people just hate change, especially gamers in my observation. It reminds me of the guys who shot down multiplayer in uncharted or even the upcoming god of war, let's be honest Uncharted's multiplayer is pretty popular right now and is being enjoyed by a multitude of folk. Things change, they need to, things need to evolve and that means our games, our favourite franchises etc...I'm glad that there was multiplayer in Sigma 2, I played with a couple of folks and enjoyed it, Hayashi is expanding on the formula and making it bigger, with more modes, by the looks of NG3 the story is probably the best in the series and the gameplay is just as fast and visceral. I'm sure we'll be seeing many videos of excellent sword skills from the pros soon enough, where the gameplay will no doubt shine.

I'm sorry, I'm just not convinced by the scornful pros in this thread. All the comments to the tune of "I'll wait for bargain basement prices" , "This game sucks even if I've not played it" is not needed in a thread to discuss a game, especially when the same set of people regurgitate the same hateful vomit over and over again. We get it, you dont like a game you haven't played, you dont like Hayashi. That's fine, but let those who are looking forward to this game have some descent dialogue about it without calling them on not sharing your negative karma.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, I played the game, and I think the franchise is moving in the wrong direction. But that's just my opinion. People are free to make their own evaluations next week.

I'm so sick of this "people are afraid of change" bullshit. You lose any shred of credibility when you go to that well of blanket statements.

That's right up there with "first people complain about this, now people complain about that, you guys always complain!!1 fans don't know what they want"

Skilletor

I love blanket statements addressed to nobody, not quoting anybody who has particular concerns, and all around just inaccurate.

It's humorous to see that "pros" is becoming an insult in NG and DMC threads.

thelastword

Banned
Well, I played the game, and I think the franchise is moving in the wrong direction. But that's just my opinion. People are free to make their own evaluations next week.
There's nothing wrong with your take on things if you've played the game, it's the folks who have not played who are the loudest in this thread.

Skilletor

There's nothing wrong with your take on things if you've played the game, it's the folks who have not played who are the loudest in this thread.

I think most people have been pretty open to discussion. Most of the criticism is coming from people who have played it and I find the insight valuable.

I also ignore anybody who obviously doesn't care about the game. There are people like that in a lot of threads. They contribute nothing and leave just as quickly. I think a thread full of OMG THIS IS AMAZING would be just as bad.

People have been pissing all over this game pretty much since it was announced.

Yes, they are making some changes to a beloved combat system, and that MIGHT have a negative effect. Ninja Gaiden 2 changed almost nothing about the combat system save decaps, and that certainly didn't help THAT game's quality. Change or no-change is not the deciding factor of whether the game will be good. It's whether the changes are smart, and the designers factor them into the design of the combat scenarios.

I'm more than happy to give it a shot, cause even if it's significantly worse than Ninja Gaiden Black and [some parts of] Ninja Gaiden 2, there's still a good chance it will be the best character action game of the year.

ITT: we learn those who have just play NG and those who attempted to master the games.

I'm sorry but no way have you scratched the surface of the games with comments like that. No wonder your looking forward to this.

Please watch this video and re-evaluate your position. This shows there was so much added depth you could even play it like a dmc game if you wanted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpGgvkd4DHw&sns=em

Ninja Gaiden 2 changed almost nothing about the combat system save decaps,

EdcIn.gif

You must have confused NG2 with NGS

Skilletor

EdcIn.gif

You must have confused NG2 with NGS

Yeah...I left that one alone.

NG1 was definitely more focused on having a solid defense and looking for openings. NG2, Ryu was an offensive beast.

I definitely like NG2's core battle system better, but NGB is so polished I give the overall game the nod.

But what do I know. I hate change.

thelastword

Banned
I'm so sick of this "people are afraid of change" bullshit. You lose any shred of credibility when you go to that well of blanket statements.

That's right up there with "first people complain about this, now people complain about that, you guys always complain!!1 fans don't know what they want"

So what is the point here exactly. You are saying nothing in these statements. The thread has taken a onesided tone and predominantly by folks who are negative towards a game they haven't played. I believe this was the dominant point in my post.

Skilletor said:
I love blanket statements addressed to nobody, not quoting anybody who has particular concerns, and all around just inaccurate.
No need to quote everybody, quite a few have been on this let's bash NG3 bandwagon. NG3 as a game is done and every game has faults, it's the way people in this thread bash the game and suggest games they prescribe as better in the series without having played this current one. I can respect Sapient's opinion, however I've heard people comment about how this game would be easy and casual, then when they heard about Master Ninja and then Ultimate Ninja and hear from people who are having a rough time on the plain hard difficulty as it is, change their tune. So many insignificant whining posts, at least let us get our hands on this thing, let us play it and see what it brings before we determine we dont want it. I'm thinking that's how it's suppose to be.

We're basing our opinions and thoughts on the videos, impressions, and details received from various posters, forums, and media outlets, and have the advantage of past games to compare and contrast features with.

Welcome to every fucking pre-released game thread ever made. Get used to it.

Fuck it, I'm going to come out with this straight.

On a pure depth of combat level, NGB and NG2 are equal masterpieces. They are different sides of the same coin.

It's the game built around NG2 that is flawed at times, but even as a DMC fan first and foremost, nothing beats NG for depth, not even Bayonetta.

NG3 is an Ok action game with small flashes of the masterful combat, bogged down with nonsense....that's where the problem is and that why it is getting all this hate. As I've said before, it's still better than 70% of what's out there by default.

ITT: we learn those who have just play NG and those who attempted to master the games.

I'm sorry but no way have you scratched the surface of the games with comments like that. No wonder your looking forward to this.

Please watch this video and re-evaluate your position. This shows there was so much added depth you could even play it like a dmc game if you wanted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpGgvkd4DHw&sns=em

This.

NG2 was a very different game from NGB. Also I don't even know if you could beat NG2 on MN with just the dragon sword. IIRC the lunar staff was probably the most "balanced" weapon that I used for the majority of situations. I guess you could get away with using the dragon sword only on MN if your good enough, but some of the properties of other weapons make some situations way easier.

If you guys like NGB so much, then fucking play it. It's not that hard. So long as the game is fun to play, at it's core, I really don't give a shit anymore.

This.

NG2 was a very different game from NGB. Also I don't even know if you could beat NG2 on MN with just the dragon sword. IIRC the lunar staff was probably the most "balanced" weapon that I used for the majority of situations. I guess you could get away with using the dragon sword only on MN if your good enough, but some of the properties of other weapons make some situations way easier.

The thing is, I don't dispute you can run through NG2 (maybe not on MN but definitely on warrior) with the Dragon sword.

but don't come with that shit when talking about black and sigma. Unless you were playing on ninja dog difficulty there were plenty of times, at least in your first few playthroughs, where you had to change weapons for different encounters.

Then when you learnt how the karma system worked, and how to stack essence for on-landings and such, you even had more reason to learn the other weapons.

I don't wanna come across like I'm dictating to people how to play their games but comments like that sound like the things default combo spammers say.

Personally I don't even bother with the dragon sword until the TDS upgrade and even then only for the 2nd UT.
If you guys like NGB so much, then fucking play it. It's not that hard. So long as the game is fun to play, at it's core, I really don't give a shit anymore.

Mastering NG games (and deep action games in general) is the most fun I ever have gaming. So the game won't be as "fun" as previous entries to me either.

I want to this game to be good, because it would be a fresh experience.
And what's with the emotional butthurt? Is criticism in OT's not allowed all of a sudden?

I used the DS for the vast majority of my playtime in NGB, if I recall. If I was fighting some slower enemies, or if I had to do a lot of damage in a short time, I'd bust out Da Dabil and hit 'em with the XYXXX or a couple forward + Y swings. Sometimes I'd go to the Lunar staff. Vig Flairs for those fuckin' Ghost Fish. Still, I wish they didn't take away those options, especially the nunchucks/flairs

I did a Karma run once, but it made me hate myself, it was so boring. Most of the encounters went down to how many on-landing OTs could you bust out in the allowed timelimit.

The thing is, I don't dispute you can run through NG2 (maybe not on MN but definitely on warrior) with the Dragon sword.

but don't come with that shit when talking about black and sigma. Unless you were playing on ninja dog difficulty there were plenty of times, at least in your first few playthroughs, where you had to change weapons for different encounters.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? NG2 was designed with the idea that every weapon would be good enough to use exclusively throughout the entire game (hence the leaderboards for single weapon runs). And most of them had a large enough moveset with enough versatility to do just that. (The flails were the only weapon that kinda sucked, but they could still get the job done.)

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? NG2 was designed with the idea that every weapon would be good enough to use exclusively throughout the entire game (hence the leaderboards for single weapon runs). And most of them had a large enough moveset with enough versatility to do just that. (The flails were the only weapon that kinda sucked, but they could still get the job done.)

It's not a bad thing at all. I just can't comprehend why someone would only want to play with the DS and not mis the ommision of the other weapons.

Mastering NG games (and deep action games in general) is the most fun I ever have gaming. So the game won't be as "fun" as previous entries to me either.

This is pretty much my exact sentiment. This is the reason why I worry about NG3/DMC and etc, because there is a big chance of dumbing down games that traditionally allow for fairly high level single player play.

Top Bottom