• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

ninja-gaiden-hurricane-pack-volume-i-20040720033513121.jpg

Still, rather have this be in the game already

This reminds me that I miss the fuckin' INTERCEPT technique from HP1 that got taken out of NGB. Itagaki said because it made the game too easy when you master it, but that shit was GODLIKE. You could intercept Lord Doku and the Berserkers all day if you knew what to look for.

AAK

Was he? Most of what made Black were Itagaki's ideas. Hayashi was probably there to carry out Itagaki's wishes and probably didn't have much of a say in what gets in or what is left out.

http://www.1up.com/features/ninja-gaiden-black

Then, Hayashi had full control and freedom with Sigma without Itagaki having anything to do with it, and he decided to fuck up the perfect balance in Black along with the introduction of shitty playable Rachel missions.

Without Itagaki being apart of Black we probably would have had those Rachel missions in Black too.

That quote tells me nothing that says what Hayashi did or didn't do. Stop trying to discredit him. Hayashi was the proect lead of NGB, deal with it.

As for extra characters and whatnot, say what you want about Rachel, but Ayane was absolutely fantastic in NGS2.

Nice opening post, AAK, but some of your section heading translations look like they came straight out of a ENG-JPN dictionary. Fixing these will make your opening post look more authentic:

Gameplay should be ゲームプレイ
Characters would be more typically something 登場人物
Media should be 動画
Reviews should be レビュー

Thanks for the accurate translations, I'll try to fix them when I get home. Yeah, I pretty much googled everything else.

Skilletor

As for extra characters and whatnot, say what you want about Rachel, but Ayane was absolutely fantastic in NGS2.

This is known. I think it's because she had a completely unique moveset. Rachel and Momiji both used weapons comparable to Hayabusa, so it was immediately apparent how lacking they were in comparison.

benzy

That quote tells me nothing that says what Hayashi did or didn't do. Stop trying to discredit him. Hayashi was the proect lead of NGB, deal with it.

That quote tells you it was someone else who came up with what made Black, Black. If you can find me a quote where hayashi says he came up with Black's improvements all by himself, then do it.
And where did I say he wasn't project lead?

AAK

He's speaking on behalf of his company man. The question even then asked what was new in NGB, not what Itagaki specifically did. That's his style of answering questions anyway speaking from a first person. And again, I'm not saying NGB was Hayashi personal effort, it's just refuting the claim by nearly half of the people in this thread that he's some incompetant reject that can't design an action game in any conceivable way.

This is known. I think it's because she had a completely unique moveset. Rachel and Momiji both used weapons comparable to Hayabusa, so it was immediately apparent how lacking they were in comparison.

Momiji had the awesome airborne obliteration techniques... that novelty was more than enough to have a lot of fun in her mission. But yeah it's true, nothing compared to Ayane.

UrbanRats

Are we reading a different thread? lol

DLC weapons are stupid. I'm just glad I get the claws (hopefully in the campaign).

Lol, that was the point of "how many days it will take".
I was just thinking about how so many people would be willing to pay for a "real ending" dlc for Mass Effect 3.
Not only withdrawing content will become more and more a standard (if already isn't) but we'll find a way to talk ourselves into it.

no, it rebalanced the game in some ways, added new enemies, new difficulty mode, new moves. the lunar staff was just one small part of it.

Wow, no shit? You see I never played NG before so this is all news to me.

*rolls eyes*

Jesus you guys, I'm just showing how free DLC that gives you weapons isn't a new thing for these 3d NG games. That's it.

Holy FUCK

benzy

He's speaking on behalf of his company man. The question even then asked what was new in NGB, not what Itagaki specifically did. That's his style of answering questions anyway speaking from a first person.
How did you come to this conclusion? This is just speculation. Itagaki has mentioned which team ninja staff did what in the past. He's usually very frank about it. It's not like itagaki talks to take credit for everything. From him we know it was Matsui who came up with Ryus fluid animations

And again, I'm not saying NGB was Hayashi personal effort, it's just refuting the claim by nearly half of the people in this thread that he's some incompetant reject that can't design an action game in any conceivable way..

People are only saying they dislike what he did with sigmas and what they see in the new one, I think its fair to complain about some of these odd design choices. Personally I like what he's doing with doa5.

ultim8p00

Banned
He's speaking on behalf of his company man. The question even then asked what was new in NGB, not what Itagaki specifically did. That's his style of answering questions anyway speaking from a first person. And again, I'm not saying NGB was Hayashi personal effort, it's just refuting the claim by nearly half of the people in this thread that he's some incompetant reject that can't design an action game in any conceivable way.

Momiji had the awesome airborne obliteration techniques... that novelty was more than enough to have a lot of fun in her mission. But yeah it's true, nothing compared to Ayane.

-Frame drops check
-Slow mo bullshit check
-Random SOBs that take control away from the player check
-Reduced weapon variety check
-Reduced replayability check
-Fucking QTEs check

When your criteria is to "design an action game in any conceivable way" then yeah sure, he can design an action game. But then again, so can Ninja Theory. But can he design a Ninja Gaiden game? Obviously he can't, since he doesn't even seem to understand what makes a Ninja Gaiden game.

AAK

-Frame drops check

It would have been nice without, but going by this logic so many other great games which drop frames manage to get a pass, why scrutinize this one?

-Slow mo bullshit check

It's just a canned animation, no different from obliteration techniques from previous games from a gameplay perspective

Yeah I agree this is a negative, but let's not pretend randomness wasn't in previous iterations of the game

I agree this sucks

Competitive Multiplayer provides 10x more replayability than anything from a single player perspective

-Fucking QTEs check

They're not integral parts to the game, they're used in the same vain as Bayonetta, just to traverse from one location to the other

When your criteria is to "design an action game in any conceivable way" then yeah sure, he can design an action game. But then again, so can Ninja Theory. But can he design a Ninja Gaiden game?

Obviously he can't, since he doesn't even seem to understand what makes a Ninja Gaiden game.

Tecmo's not making Ninja Gaiden (insert greek letter here). It's NG3, they're trying something different. And there's enough in the game going by the controls and combat to know that the core DNA of the old games is still present.

How did you come to this conclusion? This is just speculation. Itagaki has mentioned which team ninja staff did what in the past. He's usually very frank about it. It's not like itagaki talks to take credit for everything. From him we know it was Matsui who came up with Ryus fluid animations

Well, let me give you the example of Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword. Hayashi Produced and Directed it and Tecmo let Itagaki handle PR for the game. I never saw him recognize Hayashi even once for that game.

-Frame drops check
-Slow mo bullshit check
-Fucking QTEs check

When your criteria is to "design an action game in any conceivable way" then yeah sure, he can design an action game. But then again, so can Ninja Theory. But can he design a Ninja Gaiden game? Obviously he can't, since he doesn't even seem to understand what makes a Ninja Gaiden game.

Nailed it.

In my opinion, it's not that Hayashi is incompetent, but like it's mentioned, he doesn't understand the first two Ninja Gaiden and his vision is different for the series. .

danmaku

Could you elaborate more on this? My code has 3 difficulty settings, Hero, Normal and Hard. How do you unlock those extra difficulties? Besides, Hard is already bordering the bullshit for how much hard it is I can't think of how they can make it even harder than that. Hopefully not by adding more enemies as that would result in super-slowmotion action.

I forgot about this observation. Sonds good to me. One of the things that made NG great was pitting the player against seemingly impossible battles. If Hard already seems... too hard, we're on the right track, at least difficulty-wise. Still worried about the slowdowns, I hated them in NG2. The staircase of doom wasn't actually that bad, as it was in slow motion from start to finish, but the slowdowns in the first two chapters were rage inducing.

AAK

Another Review:

Famitsu: 9/9/9/9

Previous games:

NGS+: 8 / 8 / 8 / 8
NGS2: 9 / 9 / 9 / 8
NG2: 9 / 9 / 8 / 8
NGS: 9 / 8 / 8 / 8

Couldn't find the reviews for the ones preceeding these.

AAK

Nice opening post, AAK, but some of your section heading translations look like they came straight out of a ENG-JPN dictionary. Fixing these will make your opening post look more authentic:

Gameplay should be ゲームプレイ
Characters would be more typically something 登場人物
Media should be 動画
Reviews should be レビュー

Added your corrections, I appreciate your help!

rvy

Banned
why scrutinize this one?

Because of its heritage? Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden BLACK are some of the most polished games ever. NG II isn't, unfortunately. NG III should be closer to NG and NGB than to II.

Drewfonse

I really hope that this game ends up well. I'm going into it with an open mind, realizing that things change, the market changes. Were changes made to make the game more casual friendly? Clearly. Does this mean that NG3 won't turn out to be a fun, challenging romp? Hardly.

Dev diary # 6:
http://www.psbeyond.com/view/ninja-gaiden-3-dev-diary-6-storyline-story-modes-and-expectations

No real new information, maybe a clip here and there.

Here is some info, HUGE SPOILERS (found on gamefaqs):

SPOILERS FOUND AT GFAQS.........

---{All credit and findings go to user bigtthomas.}---
---{This topic is for easier access to information regarding gameplay for those looking to purchase Ninja Gaiden 3.}---

1. No TDS.
2. No unlockable costumes.
3. When you beat it on any difficulty you unlock ultimate ninja mode.
4. Only 3 swords in the game. Dragon sword, Jinran-Maru and Blade of the Archfiend.
5. More human type enemies.
6. Ninja clan mode consists mainly of different color clones and different masks.
7. 2 ninpo, but Art of the Dark void is for Ninja Trials only.
8. Nothing unlocks after beating the game except ultimate and some stuff for Ninja Trials
9. Ninja trials mode is used for leveling your characters with Karma. All the moves in clan battle are earned through karma.
10. No Female Skins for Ninja Trial.

---{List of Bosses}---

/// Steel Spider- Day 1- its the giant spider tank that a lot of us have seen in the preview of the london stage

/// Regent of the Mask- Day 1- the guy in the red cloak doing his best phantom of the opera impression. most have seen him in demo

/// IDE-1011 Manta Helicopter- Day2- pretty self explanatory here, giant helicopter with turrets. looks like the kunai climb is required to beat it, so maybe its not a throw away gimmick after all

/// Gigantosaurus- Day3- giant dinosaur that appears to be wearing armor. you can get a quick look at it in the NG3 official launch trailer

/// Regent of the Mask Day 3- phantom of the opera fight part 2

/// prototype goddess "lovelace"- Day 4- wish i had the words to describe what it looks like, all i can really say is its in the vein of other NG fiend bosses and the arms transform.

/// Obaba- Day 5- another hard one to describe with words, its a GIANT demon type fiend

/// Epigonos-Day6- looks to be a ryu doppelganger and has many of your same attacks. also after defeating him, you have to fight him in his final form which i can best describe as some sort of zombie form of ryu. he also uses the TDS as well as the falcon talons and eclipse scythe on you in this form

/// White Steel Spider- day 7- looks to be a bigger version of the first boss with a force field, flame thrower, missiles and it does more damage. oh, and you have to fight 2 of em. also it appears this thing stands up like a power rangers megazord and then proceeds to fly. the guide counts those 2 forms as separate battles, but i figured id lump them all in

/// Regent of the Mask- Day 7- looks like you and the regent go at it for round 3 /// Cliff- Day8- best i can describe him is if you took he-man, made him and 9 foot tall fiend and gave him 4 arms

/// Regent of the Mask-Day8 - round 4

/// Goddess- Day 8- cant really describe her well, but its GIANT, and has sort of a hindu goddess statue head, also a lot of neon lines all over the body like shes wearing a suit from tron

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TDS = ?

More human enemies sounds good, if they are aggressive and dangerous as in NG2.

True Dragon Sword
, come on son!

Also what a travesty this looks to be :(, don't worry tho NGB you're still my favorite game of all time no matter what they do to your lineage.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
That's probably true, but they must have, at least tried, to justify that score.
In the mean time, everything else i read about it is hilariously bad (at least compared to the previous games).

Well, just look at the trackrecord. They gave ngs2 9/9/9/8... so yeah.

All these negative comments from people who've played the game on this board seem worrying. Thanks for your highly constructive gameplay impressions.

Drewfonse

All these negative comments from people who've played the game on this board seem worrying. Thanks for your highly constructive gameplay impressions.

Yeah, refreshing, isn't it? There is a vocal minority of gamers who can't bear the thought of their beloved franchises changing. I would understand the negativity if they had actually played the game, but that isn't the case. Let's wait and see; it might actually (gasp) turn out to be a good game. And possibly be worthy of the NG name.

Yeah, refreshing, isn't it? There is a vocal minority of gamers who can't bear the thought of their beloved franchises changing. I would understand the negativity if they had actually played the game, but that isn't the case. Let's wait and see; it might actually (gasp) turn out to be a good game. And possibly be worthy of the NG name.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31214808&postcount=409

Don't try it.

Edit: and don't try "a demo is not indicative of the full game" either as the same things I pointed out 6 months odd ago are being pointed out in the retail copy. It's just more of the same ninja doggery.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Er-you didn't need to use any of the other weapons in the other two Ninja Gaiden, dude. The Dragon Sword was the answer to 99.9% of encounters, including bosses, in the game. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Losing the Lunar sucks, but frankly it won't be missed in general gameplay.

I used the Dragon Sword about 10% of the time.

Top Bottom