• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Only question is which will be worse: NG or DmC.

The direction these two franchises have gone is unfortunate.

The interesting about this, is that it's actually the Ninja Gaiden developers who are becoming more western like in their development. I.,e constant, artificial slow down on each death kill, zoom-ins and cinematics, QTE's and other button prompts.

Whereas DmC, no such thing exists. The only thing that happens is that the last enemy to be killed in a group of enemies will get that cinematic finish. Which is certainly better than every enemy. I also haven't noticed any QTE's. I also think that DmC has been looking better and better the more they show of it, while in if anything it's been the opposite for NG3.

Regardless, interesting how the only real action game (skill oriented, 60 fps, maybe too hard for it's own good etc. etc.) is an HD collection with a game from 2001 and 2005/6 and a potential Bayonetta sequal that we may never get.

WilyRook

Really looking forward to reading some in-depth impressions of the game here. I can't allow myself to buy it day 1 (at full price, anyway) until I get a good sense of just what the hell is up with it.

K' Dash

yeah, reading on the internetz it seems I'll be waiting for metal gear revengeance for a proper action game.

I'll replay NG Black and NG2 to mourn the series.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Regardless, interesting how the only real action game (skill oriented, 60 fps, maybe too hard for it's own good etc. etc.) is an HD collection with a game from 2001 and 2005/6 and a potential Bayonetta sequal that we may never get.

Don't lose hope yet. We still have Rising!

Ninja Dom

Subscribed.

I'm in day one.

Can you play on the harder difficulty levels from the start? As in are they already unlocked??

Also one thing I haven't seen in any of the vids is Hyabusa fighting against any NINJA'S I hope its not all fighting against soldiers and fiends. I need my Black Spider Clan Ninja fix!!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
i don't know man, even as a NG fan, the vids of DmC were more encouraging than the NG3 vids. If the word of mouth is good about the higher difficulties in this game, I'll gladly give it a try, but I feel like DmC has more positives in its favor. They're at least getting help with the combat engine, where NG3's combat engine seems to spite fans of NG1 and NG2 who don't want it dumbed down.

This game definitely isn't day 1 for me, but I'll get it if NG fans enjoy the higher difficulties. I'm not hopeful though.

If it's as bad as I think, I hope they'll take a step back with NG4 and get fan input on it, like they're doing with DOA5.
I'd be shocked if DmC has better combat than NG. When it comes to combat mechanics, a dumbed down version of NG still kicks anything Ninja Theory did up and down the street. Trying to shoehorn Capcom's signature fast action into a NT engine sounds like a recipe for disaster. The only hope is a PC port.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hilarious that a game that has exactly ONE review to it's credit, with the final score being 80/100...

We're already getting Batman gifs posted!

Never change, gaf.

I value gaf impressions over press reviews and so far the people who have played it haven't been too kind to it

but hey I want the game to be good as much as you do. I don't even mind if the default difficulty is lame as long as there's compelling replay content on the higher ones.

I know it's bad to post memes over here, but that's just how I feel after reading this thread :

What the fuck have they done to Ninja Gaiden? Why?

S1kkZ

Reading the negatives on this game is bumming me out. Will wait for reviews.

most reviews will probably praise the game (its easier! its brutal! it has flashy zooms when killing someone! ninjas! finally a ninja gaiden even i can finish!). like some people before me in this thread already said: reviews for games like this are (mostly!) worthless.

Skilletor

Don't know why it keeps getting brought up in this thread

It's the circle of life. Before it was which game was better. Now, it's which one is going to be worse. Since even the most mediocre version of ninja gaiden is better than anything Ninja Theory has put out, I don't think there's any competition.

Anyway, I moved my preorder to the ps3 version. Here's hoping for the best.

I'm gonna post some pretty in-depth impressions once I get my hands on this game.

For the record, I loved NGB and I'm "ehhh" on NG2, in all its various incarnations.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
most reviews will probably praise the game (its easier! its brutal! it has flashy zooms when killing someone! ninjas! finally a ninja gaiden even i can finish!). like some people before me in this thread already said: reviews for games like this are (mostly!) worthless.
Well if they praise it for all the wrong reasons than it will be the perfect red flag.

I think I know what that means. And it's quite annoying. Basically injured/bleeding enemies (about to die without your intervention - they are not fighting anymore) are still considered active enemies so if a "walking dead" happens to be nearby while you are hitting at an active enemy Ryu will sometimes deviate his combo attack towards the former ignoring the latter.

Your talking about the initiation of obliteration techniques, which are still in the game. Again, as I mentioned in the previous NG thread, it seems that the the auto-lock programmer that made combat so seamless in previous games left with itagaki and his absence is sorely missed. The game is doing the exact same thing as it did in NG2, just in a less fluid way.

What he is talking about is something different entirely, which a curious mixture of expanded input windows, attacks hitting things they shouldn't and the way combos between groups of enemies chain together.

Subscribed.

I'm in day one.

Can you play on the harder difficulty levels from the start? As in are they already unlocked??

Also one thing I haven't seen in any of the vids is Hyabusa fighting against any NINJA'S I hope its not all fighting against soldiers and fiends. I need my Black Spider Clan Ninja fix!!

The red beret wearing enemies from the desert level are simple reskins of the black spider 2nd tier grunts from NG1. They have the same animations and only slightly different attack pattens, although they dont rush in quite as fast.

There will be ninjas in later levels supposedly and a fight with one of sigma 2's bosses which is the spider clans witch.

ultim8p00

Banned
I don't think this is going to be a good sequel but the multiplayer looks hilarious. I hope the price drops soon.

Not even a contest. NG still runs at 60fps.

Barely. Apparently the game chugs quite a bit sometimes. This is going from a review build so maybe that might change, but probably not.

I think I know what that means. And it's quite annoying. Basically injured/bleeding enemies (about to die without your intervention - they are not fighting anymore) are still considered active enemies so if a "walking dead" happens to be nearby while you are hitting at an active enemy Ryu will sometimes deviate his combo attack towards the former ignoring the latter.

I asked him to elaborate further on this and it seems like you are right, but it is a bit more different than that... Basically he said that enemies seem to have hitboxes that get different priority. Enemies that are dying, or are about to be SOBed have priority over other enemies. So if you are in the middle of a combo and you cancel out of it to attack someone else, the SOB enemy or the dying enemy will get priority. The hitboxes also seem to get bigger or smaller randomly. Sometimes you think your attack will connect, but it will miss. Sometimes, you hit people from too far a distance (usually crawling enemies or those that are about to die). Basically SOB and dying enemies have bigger hitboxes so you can hit them and see cool stuff, kind of, and so it sometimes fucks up your combos

Could you elaborate more on this? My code has 3 difficulty settings, Hero, Normal and Hard. How do you unlock those extra difficulties? Besides, Hard is already bordering the bullshit for how much hard it is I can't think of how they can make it even harder than that. Hopefully not by adding more enemies as that would result in super-slowmotion action.

The game takes about 8 to 10 hours to beat, and you unlock other difficulties. Also, in the first levels you start getting tougher enemies. So on master ninja you will have dogs and level 3 soldiers at the london stage for example.

ultim8p00

Banned
The red beret wearing enemies from the desert level are simple reskins of the black spider 2nd tier grunts from NG1. They have the same animations and only slightly different attack pattens, although they dont rush in quite as fast.

So it isn't just me who noticed this.

Soliders in NG3 = Reskined soldiers from NGII
Red Beret Soldiers = Black spider reskin, except with the neck-spin grab from the cat fiends in NGB (it's THE SAME fucking animation)
Purple demons = from NGB
Claw Ninjas = from NGII

Hayashi rehayashing

So it isn't just me who noticed this.

Soliders in NG3 = Reskined soldiers from NGII
Red Beret Soldiers = Black spider reskin, except with the neck-spin grab from the cat fiends in NGB (it's THE SAME fucking animation)
Purple demons = from NGB
Claw Ninjas = from NGII

Hayashi rehayashing

What Hayashi doesnt realise (because clearly he was never that great with the games) Is to beat previous ninja gaidens, you have to study every patten and every movement in the game. It might not be a concious thing but anyone who has beaten the higher difficulties, or even simply had extensive time with the titles, will see that shit a mile away.

disgusting.

theDeeDubs

that would be a nightmare of dimising returns for either approach.

this is not call of duty. action games take time to create, even average watered down NT versions.

Once the framework was down, wouldn't two years be enough for each team to make a new game?

Alternating every year might not be realistic, but the gist of them alternating both styles of DMC to DmC to DMC would be a great move I think. New IPs are a big risk this far into a generation. So I don't mind them dabbling within established franchises if it means that's the only way they're going to get to get a little creative. Alternating from "reboot" to true sequel would let them experiment and not piss off long time fans so bad in the process. Sorry, this may be a better discussion for the DmC OT when it gets here :).

I disagree. Two years is plenty of time for each team to make an action game.

then give me of a an example of a great action game with that level of depth made in that time period.

Because the last DMC made on that type of dev cycle was DMC2...........we know how that worked out.

Once the framework was down, wouldn't two years be enough for each team to make a new game?

I still don't think so, unless they were so similar, they were effectively expansions of the same game much like capcom does with its fighters.

Solid07

Banned
Well, time for me to buy Ninja Gaiden 2 instead. I remember logging in 60+ hours on the first one on XBOX. I was hoping NG3 would be an improvement over 1&2.

Skilletor

then give me of a an example of a great action game with that level of depth made in that time period.

Because the last DMC made on that type of dev cycle was DMC2...........we know how that worked out.

I still don't think so, unless they were so similar, they were effectively expansions of the same game much like capcom does with its fighters.

Eh...DMC3 came out 2 years after 2 and DMC4 came out only 3 years after 3 on a brand new platform.

gioGAF

This is looking grim.

NGB is one of my favorite games of all time. The series has been on a downward spiral since then, I expect NG3 to follow this pattern.

I guess we can all hope for improvement, but history says otherwise :-(

Pachinko

I give Team Ninja dog props for actually putting out a stunning looking game (although I suppose sigma/sigma2 at least looked good) but there's still a sense of this game not being made for fans of the first 2. It is instead the exact type of game I think Itagaki would have despised. I was able to look past the dozens of problems in NG2 and just enjoy the fact that the core combat was fantastic. Sure it's difficulty bordered on unfair at points (rocket spam) but the basic chop socky action going on with most of the enemies was fantastic. It just needed 6 more months to iron out some more bugs and tighten up the level design. Perhaps beef up the boss AI as well.

I recall playing sigma 2 that many of the issues I had with NG2 were cleaned up but every single thing that was added to the game sucked. Every single thing!. Needless extra boss encounters, characters that play counter-intuitive to how ryu plays that you are forced to get through. The missing gore, etc etc.

In spite of all of that I still had some level of hope that Hayashi's team could pull off a ninja gaiden game on their own, even if it was more casual friendly. I'm only now starting to think that perhaps that won't be the case.

nHDR

Banned
Eh, gonna get this but not immediately. NGB is one of my favorite games EVER, to me its the perfect action game. OXM scored NG3 an 80%, which is pretty good. I expect it'll be a solid game but not quite close to NGB.

Details from GameSpot below.

what else can I say except WOW. What made them think the formula was broken in the first place?

QTE’s can be turned off in the options menu, but are frequent throughout the game, from a slow- motion knee slide to slicing through enemies to using the Kunai climb.
Playing as Ryu makes you feel like a super hero as he is nearly unstoppable, meaning you won’t die as nearly as much as in previous games.
Five difficulty levels: Hero, Normal, Hard, Master Ninja and Ultimate Ninja.
Gone is every primary weapon save for Ryu’s single sword (You still have shurikens).
No yellow essence currency from killing enemies or opening chests.
You are stuck with a non-upgradable sword and Ryu’s health regenerates after each battle, so health restoring items have been excised.
Ninpo has become a use it or lose it perk that powers up during each encounter.
Limb removal is gone.
Campaign is split into eight days and the story runs circles around the other games.
Bosses are nowhere near as memorable or numerous as you’d expect from a Ninja Gaiden game.
Only one cameo from a Dead or Alive character, Ayane.
You can lower the difficulty at any point in the game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

what else can I say except WOW. What made them think the formula was broken in the first place?

QTE’s can be turned off in the options menu, but are frequent throughout the game, from a slow- motion knee slide to slicing through enemies to using the Kunai climb.
Playing as Ryu makes you feel like a super hero as he is nearly unstoppable, meaning you won’t die as nearly as much as in previous games.
Gone is every primary weapon save for Ryu’s single sword (You still have shurikens).
You are stuck with a non-upgradable sword and Ryu’s health regenerates after each battle, so health restoring items have been excised.
Limb removal is gone.
Campaign is split into eight days and the story runs circles around the other games.
Bosses are nowhere near as memorable or numerous as you’d expect from a Ninja Gaiden game.
So the story got better(who plays NG games for story?) and the entire game got worse. The fuck.

Limb removal is gone.

so basically rent or wait till it hits bargain bin, and to say the story is better then NG1/2 is like saying the something smells better then a pile of shit

HYDE

Banned
Untrue. The TDS does hella damage against the Golden Knights, you get them to change form in 2 short combos.

It's really versatile for practically every situation...but that doesn't mean you always want to use it. Sometimes you want to kick ass with the Lunar staff, or sometimes you wanna bust out the Flails. Them just taking out the option altogether is pretty...undefendable.

They'll probably make new weapons as DLC...I am calling it now. LOL

So it looks like that without Itagaki, Hayashi can't do anything. First the abominations that were Sigma and now this.

Team Ninja Dog... how far have you fallen...

remz

No other weapons really grinds my gears- one of the best parts of NG were the other weps, the massive sword, bladed chucks, claws, hammer, etc. Why the hell would you take that out?

JJD

Wow at the impressions...I was looking forward to this game...

I wonder if I should worry about Dead or Alive...

Top Bottom