• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Ryan_IGN

We'll be posting our exclusive review on our site this Friday. OP, I will PM you so you can update your link.

Also, to the poster from the first page, there are five difficulty levels, not two.

ultim8p00

Banned
I was going to flip shit about this OT, but then I realized you had claimed it way before I did.

Nice, because you made an OT that is much kinder towards this game than I would have done.

I was actually going to edit my post after I made it to avoid this sort of blathering stupidity, but I thought, nah, nobody is that dumb. I should have known better.

Some people will find any nit to pick to make...actually, I don't think I can use the word "point" here, unless it was to purposefully make themselves seem like a pedantic moron.

If so, mission accomplished!

A fan of the old games should be the first to point out that these are basically different franchises.

I would just go a different direction if I were Tecmo. NGB was apparently a once-in-a-lifetime thing Itagaki failed to live up to. Its just going to be diminishing returns unless they redrfine the series a third time.

I agree. The original games were mostly action platformers with great stories. I disliked NG2 PS3/360 immensely, because it was just NG1, but with even worse characters and a super terrible story, and slightly worse gameplay over Ninja Gaiden Black.

All I'm saying, is that one man does not always make an entire franchise great. Not saying NG3 will be the greatest Ninja Gaiden game ever, but I'm way more interested in it than I was with Itagaki's last "effort."

Enk

makes good threads.
I can't seem to get hype for this. I loved nearly all the Ninja Gaiden games when I was younger and thought the 3D reincarnations were great additions to the franchise (even the unpolished NG2). Everything I've seen from this game so far just looks so bland and generic, as if they were afraid of scaring off the Western crowd by including anything outrageuos. Environments aren't interesting to look at, combat looks slowed down, lack of demons to slaughter, no weapon variety (is the windmill throwing star even in this), and still no Metroid-like interconnected world design that I loved in the first 3D game. I'll still give it a shot, but this is making feel like it's Ninja Gaiden 3 all over again.

SkylineRKR

Still, NG2 is miles better than NGS2 while Rehayashi had the blueprints and could easily improve the game instead of making it worse. NG2 wasn't being finished and not being finetuned. Part of the reason was that was Itagaki being in conflict with Tecmo.

The things OXM mentions about NG3 make me suspect its going to be a run of the mill action game you run through once and then never care for again. There seems to be no challenge, no different weapon styles, no upgrades, no item management...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oh boy....

Worst game yet and it has framerate problems? This will probably go to the no buy at all list then lol.

The funny thing is that you hardly notice the drops because when the action gets busy the combat sequences run at 30fps, which is then again hard to notice due to the action being quite fast with the camera constantly zooming in and out.

What is very noticeable tho is the slowdowns. These are especially apparent on the fleet level. Some of the busiest combat sequences there basically run in slow motion.

Nothing game breaking overall, but definitely not an 60fps heaven.

Zeliard

Stay classy.

If you're going to try to "get" someone with mind-numbing pedantry you can expect to have it thrown back in your face. Anyone with a clue should have realized that I was talking about the 3D action games. 2D platformers are irrelevant to this entire thread, and to the notion of an Itagaki NG.

The funny thing is that you hardly notice the drops because when the action gets busy the combat sequences run at 30fps, which is then again hard to notice due to the action being quite fast with the camera constantly zooming in and out.

What is very noticeable tho is the slowdowns. These are especially apparent on the fleet level. Some of the busiest combat sequences there basically run in slow motion.

Looks like they took influence from NG2's staircase battle. :p

ultim8p00

Banned
A few people I know are already playing the game (not sure if this is the full game, probably though) A few impressions:

-There is a lot of slowdown and the game seems to chug at 30-40fps sometimes.
-There is something odd about hitboxes and how the moves connect. I'm not sure what this means.
-If you are used to NG2 or even Black, the moves seem slower. They are still well animated, but it seems as though the frames have been doubled. This is either a plus or minus, depending on you as it is much easier to see what Ryu is actually doing.
-Only one weapon type, (contrary to what is in the OP?). You get different swords, and the moves change a bit. Some have extended UTs. It doesn't seem like you can switch between them. (I.e no inventory?)
-The difficulty nerf isn't that bad apparently. Things just seem to have been spread out more. Ultimate Ninja difficulty may be the new Master Ninja. Harder enemies come earlier on harder difficulties as usual.
-Camera seems better, but probably due to the game being slower.

Er-you didn't need to use any of the other weapons in the other two Ninja Gaiden, dude. The Dragon Sword was the answer to 99.9% of encounters, including bosses, in the game. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Losing the Lunar sucks, but frankly it won't be missed in general gameplay.

Because it isn't Ninja Gaiden: Black HD Remix. Play NG:Black and then come back to ask that.

two words.

Ghost fish.

And thats just off the top of my head.

edit: actually now im thinking about it, what the hell are you on about? In NGB alone, the virgorian falis were the best weapon to farm essence from grunt fiends, the luna staff is the go-to weapon for multiple larger fiend encounters. Unlaboured flawessness was best for karma runs , The dark dragon blade is best for the Vigoorian Berserkers, Yotunfrau is Dabilahros bitch among other things.

Not to mention you can play the entirety of NG2 with the windmill shrunken pretty much.

The only weapons that really serve no real purpose practically outside of what the Dragon sword provides are the twin swords..............who were added by hayashi.

Iron Maidens will fuck your shit up without the Tonfas or the Lunar.

Werewolves would straight up punch you through your attacks with the Dragon Sword.

IMO the Lunar was the most useful weapon, especially once you got the spikes on it.

This too.

ultim8p00

Banned
two words.

Ghost fish.

And thats just off the top of my head.

Werewolves would straight up punch you through your attacks with the Dragon Sword.

IMO the Lunar was the most useful weapon, especially once you got the spikes on it.

If you're talking NG2, I have to go with the scythe. Jump XXYYY (IIRC) killed everything, including bosses.

theDeeDubs

While sword only doesn't bother me since it was my preferred weapon, adding what appears to be even more mp crap bugs me. I'd prefer online implementation to be in the form of leaderboards gauging how you did in the single player game versus your friends as opposed to the tacked on mp every game seems to be doing nowadays. If it turns out to be decent, I will gladly eat crow though.

As someone who spent countless hours with NG on the Xbox, I'm still maintaining my optimism for NG3.

Man this is all bad news bears.

Already sounds like the game has regressed to pre-Ninja Gaiden 1 (yes I'm talking about the Xbox game). Almost one of those forgettable post-DMC1 clones like that Van Helsing game.

theDeeDubs

Only question is which will be worse: NG or DmC.

The direction these two franchises have gone is unfortunate.

Haven't played either but DmC just keeps looking better and better with each video they show. I think it will be a breath of fresh air into the series myself. My dream would be a yearly DMC release with an old school DMC and a NT DmC alternating each year. A route i was hoping Prince of Persia to take after the '08 game ;(.

Nizz

Wow, this year is flying :0 Can't believe this game is almost out. I'd love to read the impressions here once it's out. I've never been hardcore about Ninja Gaiden. I beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma on dog difficulty but I still had a good time for the most part (F those flying robot drones).

Hopefully this turns out well.

Zeliard

God doing the NINPO only run as long as you could was a pain in the ass to get those.

Love the Ninja Gaiden series but i'll wait for bomba price.

It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the tonfas. Those are some of my favorite weapons in any game ever.

Haven't played either but DmC just keeps looking better and better with each video they show. I think it will be a breath of fresh air into the series myself. My dream would be a yearly DMC release with an old school DMC and a NT DmC alternating each year. A route i was hoping Prince of Persia to take after the '08 game ;(.

DmC doesn't look horrible so much as just a very different game from the usual DMC. Ninja Theory pride themselves on flashiness at the expense of depth and responsiveness, so I don't know how that'll turn out. I thought Heavenly Sword practically played itself.

that would be a nightmare of dimising returns for either approach.

this is not call of duty. action games take time to create, even average watered down NT versions.

The plain nunchaku in NG1/Black is the most fun weapon in the series. The moves, animation, and sound effects just blend together so perfectly. Plus, it's just fun to fuck dudes up with it. Give it a try!

NG2 was so much fun using the claws and the sythe. Cuttin fiends up with fountains of blood spraying never got old. Damn that game was brutal.

TreIII

A fan of the old games should be the first to point out that these are basically different franchises.

I would just go a different direction if I were Tecmo. NGB was apparently a once-in-a-lifetime thing Itagaki failed to live up to. Its just going to be diminishing returns unless they redefine the series a third time.

Either that, or they could go back to "thematically" taking over where the original series left off.

I mean, this is what I don't get. They went and got back the original scenario writer for the NES trilogy, but don't seize what could have been a grand opportunity to bring back the likes of Jacquio and his crew, while ALSO trying another style of action game, on the same token. Missed opportunity, in my opinion...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think this is going to be a good sequel but the multiplayer looks hilarious. I hope the price drops soon.

Only question is which will be worse: NG or DmC.

The direction these two franchises have gone is unfortunate.
Not even a contest. NG still runs at 60fps.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
-There is something odd about hitboxes and how the moves connect. I'm not sure what this means.

I think I know what that means. And it's quite annoying. Basically injured/bleeding enemies (about to die without your intervention - they are not fighting anymore) are still considered active enemies so if a "walking dead" happens to be nearby while you are hitting at an active enemy Ryu will sometimes deviate his combo attack towards the former ignoring the latter.

-The difficulty nerf isn't that bad apparently. Things just seem to have been spread out more. Ultimate Ninja difficulty may be the new Master Ninja. Harder enemies come earlier on harder difficulties as usual.

Could you elaborate more on this? My code has 3 difficulty settings, Hero, Normal and Hard. How do you unlock those extra difficulties? Besides, Hard is already bordering the bullshit for how much hard it is I can't think of how they can make it even harder than that. Hopefully not by adding more enemies as that would result in super-slowmotion action.

I think I know what that means. And it's quite annoying. Basically injured/bleeding enemies (about to die without your intervention - they are not fighting anymore) are still considered active enemies so if a "walking dead" happens to be nearby while you are hitting at an active enemy Ryu will sometimes deviate his combo attack towards the former ignoring the latter.
Dear god why

This game is sounding more and more fuckin' sad every time I hear about it

And I'm STILL gonna rent it because I'm a whore for action games

3wlIf.gif

saveus.platinumgames

Still, NG2 is miles better than NGS2 while Rehayashi had the blueprints and could easily improve the game instead of making it worse. NG2 wasn't being finished and not being finetuned. Part of the reason was that was Itagaki being in conflict with Tecmo.

The things OXM mentions about NG3 make me suspect its going to be a run of the mill action game you run through once and then never care for again. There seems to be no challenge, no different weapon styles, no upgrades, no item management...

None of Itagaki's games were polished for the 360. DoA4 could've used some more balancing and DoAX2 and NG2 were a mess.

Have they mentioned anything about the constant zooming in when you attack and if you can turn that off? They mentioned turning off the QTE's, so I'm not sure if you can turn off the zoom too.

Not even a contest. NG still runs at 60fps.

i don't know man, even as a NG fan, the vids of DmC were more encouraging than the NG3 vids. If the word of mouth is good about the higher difficulties in this game, I'll gladly give it a try, but I feel like DmC has more positives in its favor. They're at least getting help with the combat engine, where NG3's combat engine seems to spite fans of NG1 and NG2 who don't want it dumbed down.

This game definitely isn't day 1 for me, but I'll get it if NG fans enjoy the higher difficulties. I'm not hopeful though.

If it's as bad as I think, I hope they'll take a step back with NG4 and get fan input on it, like they're doing with DOA5.

This is weird. It's just like NGS+, where you now jump towards dead bodies instead of the guys who are actually alive. i thought it was a bug or something.

As someone who beat every release of NG1 & NG2 on Master Ninja I hope this turns out well. It still looks like it hasn't though. The gaming press is incapable of properly reviewing action games anyway, 90% of the outlets won't even touch the harder modes. Have to wait a while for -real- reviews and footage.

I find it hilarious that a game that has exactly ONE review to it's credit, with the final score being 80/100...

We're already getting Batman gifs posted!

Never change, gaf.

benzy

None of Itagaki's games were polished for the 360. DoA4 could've used some more balancing and DoAX2 and NG2 were a mess.

Have they mentioned anything about the constant zooming in when you attack and if you can turn that off? They mentioned turning off the QTE's, so I'm not sure if you can turn off the zoom too.

Turning off qte just means the button prompts won't show up, the mechanics are still there.

I find it hilarious that a game that has exactly ONE review to it's credit, with the final score being 80/100...

We're already getting Batman gifs posted!

Never change, gaf.

Reviews for this type of game from the gaming press is irrelevant. It is probably going to end up with an 8/10+ with words like "well it is more ACCESSIBLE, DEEP STORY, EPIC". Just watch the Giant Bomb quicklook with Ryan Davis salivating over the dumb shit in the game. DmC is guaranteed to be a critical darling no matter how much depth & difficulty is lost in the game. Just look at the metacritic for Enslaved:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west
The fuck is this?

I hope both this and DmC are atleast decent but I have low expectations to say the least.

benzy

Could you elaborate more on this? My code has 3 difficulty settings, Hero, Normal and Hard. How do you unlock those extra difficulties? Besides, Hard is already bordering the bullshit for how much hard it is I can't think of how they can make it even harder than that. Hopefully not by adding more enemies as that would result in super-slowmotion action.

You probably need to beat the current hardest difficulty to unlock the next hardest one.

Top Bottom