• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II Impressions + Itagaki Insanity

karasu

The Faceless Master said:
slows what down exactly?

would it somehow take less time to switch weapons with the game running, than with the game pausing, then unpausing?

Why are you pursuing this so adamantly? I've already said, multiple times, that I don't think it's a big deal. Are you really going to sit here and argue with me because I would ideally prefer if there were no breaks in the 'action' while changing weapons, even though I can deal with it either way? Maybe I'm the only one in the entire thread who would like that, but so what?! There's a lot more to the game than weapon switching. Jesus. Not even the menus were unbearable.

ninja-gaiden-ii-20080129104047834.jpg
:lol
Awesome.

Edit- What did he attack them with? I don't see a weapon.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, the Lunar is brutal now - I can practically feel the pain! :D

And those Obliteration Techniques with it - lopping off his leg, then smashing his head? Uppercutting his head off while he's on his knees then punting him away? Oh man!

Love the way he just kicks in doors now too - like a true badass!

WHOAguitarninja said:
ninja-gaiden-ii-20080129104047834.jpg
Awesome.

I was going to ask how couldn't you see the Lunar in any of the vids, then I just realised that when I quoted you, you actually posted a screen - between this post and the IGN Street Fighter IV pic thread, it looks like IGN doesn't allow hotlinking anymore...

Edit: Wait, enemy reveal on Friday that'll make us crap bricks? I'll be there!

For the lazy.
j8e4us.jpg

Rasetsu is berserker of Black Spider Ninja Clan. Although they is a part of Black Spider, Ninjas of this group are all deformed and have clear features as Fiends. They are ferociously brutal and blessed with extreme power to block Ryu Hayabusa. The Super Ninja jumped up and knocked down the stiff enemies. The Castle is echoing with roars of Rasetsu.

2efoqap.jpg

After a jump in front of the beautiful fountain, Ryu is just about stabbing his foe with Lunar Staff over his head. This is nothing but a rightful way to attack.

33e7zhs.jpg

Spirit Ninja holds a traditional Chinese-style weapon in his hands. He uses his middle finger as axis to spin the weapon and falls on Ryu with dazzling attacks. The movement is elegant yet extremely sharp.

281vs0m.jpg

EDIT: Added the captions. :D

jet1911

Haha yes! The best weapon is back! :D

WHOAguitarninja said:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/848/848299/ninja-gaiden-ii-20080129104047834.jpg:lol
Awesome.

Wind/tornado thing ninpo.

jet1911

a Master Ninja said:
The captions continue to deliver :lol

After a jump in front of the beautiful fountain, Ryu is just about stabbing his foe with Lunar Staff over his head. This is nothing but a rightful way to attack.

Rasetsu is berserker of Black Spider Ninja Clan. Although they is a part of Black Spider, Ninjas of this group are all deformed and have clear features as Fiends. They are ferociously brutal and blessed with extreme power to block Ryu Hayabusa. The Super Ninja jumped up and knocked down the stiff enemies. The Castle is echoing with roars of Rasetsu.

Who comes up with these?

RattleHead_ said:
For the lazy.

281vs0m.jpg

Whats going on with the enemy on the right? Looks like (kinda cheap) motion blur but we haven't seen any anywhere else in the game. Wonder if it's some sort of action specific effect there or something.

Boy, that Lunar sure hits in a brutal manner.

Those new videos didn't help the game shine all that much, though. You can see that it's still in its early phase. Hell, it even seems there are animations on the Lunar that have yet to be implemented.

Good stuff, though.

Mamesj

Banned
RattleHead_ said:
For the lazy.
*pics*

Looks JUST like Sigma. Like 100% just like Sigma. I can't even tell the difference...because there is none! and these graphics suck too...I still have my motivation Itagaki ALALALALALWLWLWL

yeah, okay I'm shitting my pants at the awesome :D

WHOAguitarninja said:
Whats going on with the enemy on the right? Looks like (kinda cheap) motion blur but we haven't seen any anywhere else in the game. Wonder if it's some sort of action specific effect there or something.

could be a signifier that he's about to try a throw or some other action that Ryu would want to be aware of.

puebla said:
hot damn, the videos continue to impress. i love how fast the action is.

Ninja Gaiden is the only game that makes other 60fps action games feel like they're 30fps. It's just so slick and swift.
The new media definitely continues to impress..and it's only gonna get better!

The captions indeed deliver :)lol @ "Although they is part of Black Spider..")

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
WHOAguitarninja said:

That's the ninja that teleports, so they probably took the pic as he was teleporting in... doesn't look like blur to me...

East Lake

Mamesj said:
Looks JUST like Sigma. Like 100% just like Sigma. I can't even tell the difference...because there is none! and these graphics suck too...I still have my motivation Itagaki ALALALALALWLWLWL

yeah, okay I'm shitting my pants at the awesome :D

EDIT: vspectra found this.

Graphics for spider fiend were improved.

2232293708_fd1654e93e_o.jpg

2232293534_25660aae3c_o.jpg

Loto

Day fucking 0 for me. I plan on picking up a PS3 and gonna grab Sigma before this bad boy is released.

I hope there is CE for this game.

mileS

FFChris said:
Visually it looks stunning. What's better is the enemies running across the walls to attack you.

I was sceptical about this game when they showed the early videos, but the visuals have improved so quickly, and the variety of backgrounds and levels are starting to show.

This is looking more and more like it can be the worthy sequal to my favorite action game of all time.

Exactly what I was about to say after watching the new videos. I'm offically hyped now!

ukiraros

Loto said:
Day fucking 0 for me. I plan on picking up a PS3 and gonna grab Sigma before this bad boy is released.

I hope there is CE for this game.

Hopefully the CE for NG2 will be better than the Sigma one.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
p3tran said:
when is it coming out guys?

Well, recently Itagaki said it's 50-60% done. Several websites have said April 2008. Itagaki's comments seem to conflict with the idea of an April release. He could be talking about fine tuning/polishing with the majority of the game actually done. We just don't know. "2008" is still the release date.

USD

Wow, the lunar is sick nasty. I also love some of the new throws/grabs that the enemies get, especially the one 7 seconds into the third video. :lol

Though I do wonder about the enemy variety. We haven't seen too many levels, the lunar video level has been shown off quite a few times. But it seems like you spend a lot of time fighting the Black Spider Ninja Clan (or whoever they are). I'm sure it switches up a little, but they haven't shown much.

Mamesj

Banned
szaromir said:
Typical Team Ninja bullshots. Still, I didn't expect the spider fiend to be so detailed.:D

not doubting what you say, but how exactly can you tell these are bullshots? I can some jagginess, some bad textures, other imperfections. These blood, lighting and blur effects also look a LOT more dramatic in stills, whereas in the game, they'll flash by in a second or two.

The camera angles aren't exactly realistic for gameplay (too closely cropped in), but I'm not seeing anything that makes them total bullshit.

Mamesj said:
not doubting what you say, but how exactly can you tell these are bullshots? I can some jagginess, some bad textures, other imperfections. These blood, lighting and blur effects also look a LOT more dramatic in stills, whereas in the game, they'll flash by in a second or two.

The camera angles aren't exactly realistic for gameplay (too closely cropped in), but I'm not seeing anything that makes them total bullshit.
This is basically what TN does with official stills for all their games. Super High Res + AA. They don't outright lie by adding more geometry shadows, or particles.

Edit: like these of NG1:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/xbox/ninja-gaiden/ninja-gaiden-4.jpg
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/xbox/ninja-gaiden/ninja-gaiden-3.jpg

Sure, the game looks like that. Except it's 480p with tearing instead of whatever godly resolution they appear in the shots.

Top Bottom