• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Robot Pants

God, NG3 is such a travesty.

"Tempered Gravestone" is a pretty amazing level all things concerned. It starts off fairly ridiculously (large amounts of enemies then Rasetsu room oh god), then wraps around back into the original level from Ninja Gaiden 1, then proceeds into some extremely large arenas (the gravesites), then ends with a fight with Genshin (who can now use the Izuna Drop on you). Pretty great.
A Tempered Gravestone is the best level in the series. Possibly in action games period.

Pachinko

I'm glad I kept my money and didn't buy any Σ game. That thing is pathetic.

But you miss out on 3 pairs of F cup jiggling anime boob girls :p

Kind of funny to see this thread once again resurrected due to NG3's overall shittiness. Seems the only people who actually really enjoy it that much are the ones who've never played another game in the series.

rvy

Banned
Yes but uh... THQ's testing team? :( THQ isn't doing so hot right now!

They're just helping out. I'm hopeful Valhalla can pull off the same level of balance and polish from their Team Ninja days, Itagaki has always been obsessed with perfection.
Tecmo and Microsoft prevented NG II from becoming absolutely amazing.
The fact that NG fans are able to put up with all the shit this game suffers from is evidence for how great the combat is.

But you miss out on 3 pairs of F cup jiggling anime boob girls :p

Didn't miss anything worthwhile then :p.

Next up is Elizébet. Flying Swallow with the Dragon Claws should do the trick.

HYDE

Banned
I'll just pretend NG3 was just Dragon Sword on the DS (that game is great).
I would love a Dragon Sword sequel on 3DS, if it was as good as it that is.

rvy

Banned
Chapter 11 on Mentor, my hands are numb.

2341633483_19d5f27f99c6xxd.jpg

rvy

Banned
They should have really toned down projectile spam and remove off-screen attack with patches. This is some insane stuff.

They should have really toned down projectile spam and remove off-screen attack with patches. This is some insane stuff.

The only thing that really gets to me is the fact that explosions will hurt you even if the projectile did not hit you. Incendiary shurikens will do MORE damage to you if they hit a wall and the explosion hits you than if the shuriken had actually tagged ryu. I don't really have a big deal with the offscreen projectiles because if you keep projectile enemies locations in your mind you can always be avoiding them (and if incend shurikens tag you it is not a big deal, you can just dash to nullify their explosion damage).

The only projectile that is kind of obnoxious is the golden fiends with the one hit kill fireballs (because the enemy switches between projectiles and trying to ground fight you all the time).

rvy

Banned
The only thing that really gets to me is the fact that explosions will hurt you even if the projectile did not hit you. Incendiary shurikens will do MORE damage to you if they hit a wall and the explosion hits you than if the shuriken had actually tagged ryu. I don't really have a big deal with the offscreen projectiles because if you keep projectile enemies locations in your mind you can always be avoiding them (and if incend shurikens tag you it is not a big deal, you can just dash to nullify their explosion damage).

The only projectile that is kind of obnoxious is the golden fiends with the one hit kill fireballs (because the enemy switches between projectiles and trying to ground fight you all the time).

That annoys me as hell too. But they should really be removed, I can't be bothered to worry about being tagged with IS from ninjas that aren't even on-screen.
Sure, karma runs did a nice job of exploiting this in vanilla and BLACK, but it didn't really give players a huge advantage. Off-screen projectiles though are a huge disadvantage.
Shitsux.

Zedonius is easy as hell with the scythe. XYY on the air and ninpo to get i-frames when he grabs works wonders. Unfortunately I had forgotten that there's a bunch of endless explosive squids and died.
KuGsj.gif

No idea why reviewers criticized the game for disjointed level progression. Hayabusa village gets wrecked, Ryu chases after asshole fiends trying to ruin the World, Genshin tells Ryu that Mt. Fuji is where shit will get resurrected and Ryu returns to his village to enter Mt. Fuji.
What's the problem here? At least there's some design variety with the levels.

Feindflug

Playing NG2 on Mentor now. Only on Chapter 3, lol

Well I'm on Chapter 6 right now with a save before the Volf fight, I managed to kill Volf pretty easily last night with the Falcons but got raped in the next portion of the fight with the werewolves eventually by off-screen werewolf limbs - turned off my xbox after a few tries because it was 5a.m. and my brain was in half sleep mode...I guess spamming UT willl do the trick with the werewolves.

Game definitely has it's issues but at the same time it's combat system is so freakin' awesome that I can't quit playing. :p

No idea why reviewers criticized the game for disjointed level progression. Hayabusa village gets wrecked, Ryu chases after asshole fiends trying to ruin the World, Genshin tells Ryu that Mt. Fuji is where shit will get resurrected and Ryu returns to his village to enter Mt. Fuji.
What's the problem here? At least there's some design variety with the levels.

The reviewers were just mad that it went to an oldschool linear challenge gauntlet (with lots of different level aesthetics) as opposed to the pseudo adventure thing that Ninja Gaiden Black was going for. Personally I think that NG2's level design works better for the most part (although I am glad that NGB exists for contrast).

SHAZOOM

The reviewers were just mad that it went to an oldschool linear challenge gauntlet (with lots of different level aesthetics) as opposed to the pseudo adventure thing that Ninja Gaiden Black was going for. Personally I think that NG2's level design works better for the most part (although I am glad that NGB exists for contrast).

I'm actually going through Black right now, and for the most part the combat is easy, but the things that bug me are some questionable puzzle solving/platforming. Most of the platforming is fine when in the city, but in places like the underground tomb there are instances where Ryu will either overshoot where he needs to be, or not quite make it.

Also there are some parts where you don't even know if you can fight back (the Helicopter showing up at the locked gate to the Military facility) and just have to wait until it goes away. I'm enjoying my playthrough, but I'm not really looking forward to some of the not so great bits (Vigoor Emporer boss/ghost fish gauntlet/lava platforming).

I'm actually going through Black right now, and for the most part the combat is easy, but the things that bug me are some questionable puzzle solving/platforming. Most of the platforming is fine when in the city, but in places like the underground tomb there are instances where Ryu will either overshoot where he needs to be, or not quite make it.

Also there are some parts where you don't even know if you can fight back (the Helicopter showing up at the locked gate to the Military facility) and just have to wait until it goes away. I'm enjoying my playthrough, but I'm not really looking forward to some of the not so great bits (Vigoor Emporer boss/ghost fish gauntlet/lava platforming).

Ninja Gaiden Black on Very Hard / Master Ninja is an extremely worthy challenge. The difficulty of the normal mode in NGB was always vastly overrated (even on my first playthrough I never really had a huge amount of trouble - although I had played action games before).

I never really had a trouble with those parts, I think the only section that comes to mind as "kind of lame" was a section involving water and some gates. I can't really remember it too well. I am currently replaying NGB as well - although I don't have a save so it is a bummer that I have to go through normal again. After playing on the higher difficulties, normal is fairly boring.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Quick
random
question..I used one of those orb things that said it would permanently increase my Ninpo, but I still only have three spells to use. I assumed it would give me one more stock (going from holding 3 at once to 4), but it didnt. Does it make it do more damage? Do I have use a certain amount of the orbs before I get another stock?

Skilletor

Quick
random
question..I used one of those orb things that said it would permanently increase my Ninpo, but I still only have three spells to use. I assumed it would give me one more stock (going from holding 3 at once to 4), but it didnt. Does it make it do more damage? Do I have use a certain amount of the orbs before I get another stock?

It raises its level by one. Each spell has 3 levels. If you play Final Fantasy it's like Fire - Fira - Firaga.

Robot Pants

Quick
random

Was it Jewel of the Demon Seal? (Purple)
If it was, then yes, it just increases the Ninpo you use it on to one level.
Spirit of the Devils (Red) increases a Ninpo slot.

The platforming can be quite shit in NGB...if i hadn't played it so much, i'd be terrible at it like i was the first few times. Still occasionally fall down the shaft in the underground part.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Was it Jewel of the Demon Seal? (Purple)
If it was, then yes, it just increases the Ninpo you use it on to one level.
Spirit of the Devils (Red) increases a Ninpo slot.
Thanks for the clarification, yeah it was the purple orb iirc.

I've always felt that NG2 was an overall stronger game than NG1. It was about on par with NGB in my experience. While NGB definitely has a much higher level of balance, challenge and thought/design behind it all - it has several boring moments that were never removed from NG1. The helicopter section that you mentioned, swimming gates, ghost fish - shit, even the tank battle was boring despite some difficulty. I would also argue that it doesn't have enough 'big' battles to hold my interest for multiple playthroughs - there are certainly plenty of enemies... but most are groups of 2-5, and many (zombies etc) are boring after the first few.

NG2 on the other hand suffers from some serious balance issues and a few level/enemy design flaws - but had a stronger combat system, or at least a more interesting one. The weapon variety was amazing and it's tendency to throw 'more' at you (despite this leading to framerate issues and cheap damage) made it much more fun. I remember several occassions in NGB where I am fighting a group of enemies and thinking about what's coming next - whilst in NG2 my head is firmly in the fight I am in simply because so much was going on.

Ninja Gaiden II

Oh man, I remember buying that game when it came out back in 2008, so full of confidence after having played NG1 and Black. I thought I'd have a "good ride". LOL I laugh at myself and my naivety when I think about it today. Shit was infernal. I remember being frustrated to no end all the time. It's like I was stuck on a hard section........section after section.

I also remember that nearly every moments in the game had some incredibly annoying projectile spammers that you had to dodge while fighting tons of ninjas. Somehow I've managed to get up to a point where you
fight a really hard boss, then when you kill him he explodes and kept killing me with this cheap shot
. This is where I've quit for good.

Or so I thought. Because of this topic, I've bought NG2 again on Ebay for $12 about an hour ago. I want to beat this stupid game once and for all. Wish me luck, because I can safely say this won't be ez.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bah, it's not that hard. At least not on warrior. :)

Just remember to abuse wind run instead of regular jumps for extra i-frames, chain on-landing UTs, and when worse comes to worse, spam izuna drop. Lv2 falcon talons can be your best friend because you can izuna drop directly from a flying swallow. Almost all non-humanoid bosses are decimated by bow UTs or incendiary shurikens, and blocking drastically reduces damage from explosions including IS.

Once you've started playing mentor you'll wonder how you ever found warrior difficult. :p

SHAZOOM

Thanks for the tip fellas, pretty sure I burned the Orb on the Phoenix one cause I didnt know wtf I was doing. lol at least now I know.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with this Ninpo. It literally does nothing. Even the Fire Wheel in NGB at least works like a shield, here the birds just show up, MAYBE hit some enemies (if you're lucky) and just end up wasting some Red Elixirs.

Llyranor

It's not often I sell games, and I rarely regret selling the games I do sell.

However, I sold NG2 since I was picking Sigma2 (for the piece of crap co-op, no less -_-). Now, that actually is something I regret. I'll have to pick it up again someday.

I actually loved it from the beginning, amazing game. Prefer it to Black. I ranked it highly in my 2008 GOTY list.

you
fight a really hard boss, then when you kill him he explodes and kept killing me with this cheap shot
You can just block

Bah, it's not that hard. At least not on warrior. :)

Just remember to abuse wind run instead of regular jumps for extra i-frames, chain on-landing UTs, and when worse comes to worse, spam izuna drop. Lv2 falcon talons can be your best friend because you can izuna drop directly from a flying swallow. Almost all non-humanoid bosses are decimated by bow UTs or incendiary shurikens, and blocking drastically reduces damage from explosions including IS.

Once you've started playing mentor you'll wonder how you ever found warrior difficult. :p

I always found the Lunar Staff to be the most balanced weapon that I could beat most of the game with on Master Ninja. The stick-rotation UT is incredible, the XXY move is pretty good, has a really quick ground izuna drop (and a somewhat unreliable air izuna drop). The on-landing square move for it is really good too (he does a quick spin with it and all the enemies that get hit by it fall/stagger if they can).

But yeah, switching to weapons best suited for the situation is definitely the best way to tackle NG2 (scythe UT, falcon talon air izuna drop, tonfa level 1 ut, the true dragon sword are all good stuff). The falcon talons XYYY move instantly delimbs as well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just wondering, did you guys enjoy that long staircase fight where everything slowed down? I guessed that it was most likely the game slowing down from too much stuff on the screen but I enjoyed the effect. It was so hilariously awesome with everyone dying in slow-mo.

SHAZOOM

I always found the Lunar Staff to be the most balanced weapon that I could beat most of the game with on Master Ninja. The stick-rotation UT is incredible, the XXY move is pretty good, has a really quick ground izuna drop (and a somewhat unreliable air izuna drop). The on-landing square move for it is really good too (he does a quick spin with it and all the enemies that get hit by it fall/stagger if they can).

But yeah, switching to weapons best suited for the situation is definitely the best way to tackle NG2 (scythe UT, falcon talon air izuna drop, tonfa level 1 ut, the true dragon sword are all good stuff). The falcon talons XYYY move instantly delimbs as well.

I usually just go with Tonfa XXAY for delimbs (he does a dash then does into Y that takes off limbs) or Counter Hit with Flails. Scyth is good for crowd control, same with Lunar, but I always have a preference for the speed of the Tonfas/Flails.

I think I'll try to use the Kusari gama. Its the only weapon I barely ever touch.

Skilletor

Ninja Gaiden II

Oh man, I remember buying that game when it came out back in 2008, so full of confidence after having played NG1 and Black. I thought I'd have a "good ride". LOL I laugh at myself and my naivety when I think about it today. Shit was infernal. I remember being frustrated to no end all the time. It's like I was stuck on a hard section........section after section.

I also remember that nearly every moments in the game had some incredibly annoying projectile spammers that you had to dodge while fighting tons of ninjas. Somehow I've managed to get up to a point where you

Or so I thought. Because of this topic, I've bought NG2 again on Ebay for $12 about an hour ago. I want to beat this stupid game once and for all. Wish me luck, because I can safely say this won't be ez.

Hold guard.

rvy

Banned
Master Ninja is going to make me his bitch for the next week. I was lucky that the Archfiend decided to spam his laser over and over again, because I had no items left and wasted a Talisman on Dagra Dai. Still died like 10 times though.

1p6ms.png

Thanks for the tip fellas, pretty sure I burned the Orb on the Phoenix one cause I didnt know wtf I was doing. lol at least now I know.

The Phoenix one was really helpfull to me on some occasions (those fish skeletons) and during the fight with the first form of the Arch Fiend, when he fires those skulls at you.

Master Ninja is going to make me his bitch for the next week. I was lucky that the Archfiend decided to spam his laser over and over again, because I had no items left and wasted a Talisman on Dagra Dai. Still died like 10 times though.

Could be worse.
I think I got the "100 continues" achievement on my acolyte playthrough alone.

rvy

Banned
There's no shame in "wasting" a talisman against Dagra Dai, he's much more difficult than the Archfiend.

I felt like I made a big mistake as soon as I beat him. I could have probably done it, without using the Talisman, by spamming air XY with the Scythe. Fuck it.

Getting 1250 achievement points in this game was the first time I felt achievement points had meaning. I haven't felt that way since that accomplishment.

It's not often I sell games, and I rarely regret selling the games I do sell.

However, I sold NG2 since I was picking Sigma2 (for the piece of crap co-op, no less -_-). Now, that actually is something I regret. I'll have to pick it up again someday.

I actually loved it from the beginning, amazing game. Prefer it to Black. I ranked it highly in my 2008 GOTY list.

You can just block

Hold guard.

It's been so long I don't exactly remember the problem but I'll be pretty embarrassed if that's all I had to do. Thanks anyway !

Top Bottom