• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS: Lighter than XL, worse battery, mono speaker, screens same size as 3DS

Eric C

Has this already been discussed?

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it.

So the 2DS is really just 1 big screen with some plastic borders over it?

They should've gone all the way to confusionville and called it DS U.

I think it'll sell well though. I wonder why it's releasing the same day as Pokemon... ;)

You guys are fundamentally changing the function of the system by doing that. You want to talk about confusion? There it is.

Fundamentally? It still does everything the 3DS does, without 3D. If this were to happen it would have some special apps for it, and still do everything the 3DS does, without 3D. That's not confusing.

Why not actually take advantage of having no 3D if that's the plan?

slit

That's the point. To make this system more desirable. Some games and applications could support full touch, while everything else is still compatible, minus the 3D of course.

A 2DS section of the eShop could have a ton of apps for this.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. You mean I bought the more expensive version and now I can't even take advantage of everything Nintendo releases for it? That's some 32X territory there.

KarmaCow

Has this already been discussed?

So the 2DS is really just 1 big screen with some plastic borders over it?
Makes sense I doubt there are many places that would be making small resistive touch screens. It's the same reason why 500 GB hard drives are cheaper than 60GB ones.

tuffy

I really don't see how you don't understand it. They tweak the OS to be full screen on this device. Then developers can decide to make apps for it or give special 2DS functionality in games.
At that point, you've pretty much got a whole new system. And if they're going to do that, they could add another symmetric pad on the right for Monster Hunter 5, and so on.

I think that's the way Nintendo's headed for the 4DS, while this budget system is more of a trial run.

DrZeus

Totally befuzzled at this. Why not make the Wii U gamepad it's own handheld at this point and allow some sort of crossplay with unified accounts. Might help the user base.

Andrefpvs

Ah, that makes sense.
On a separate note, have they confirmed the 2DS to be region locked? If not, I'll get my hopes up in vain.

We've yet to hear the official word on region locking, but unfortunately it's not hard to guess that it's still in.

FSLink

Banned
I remember explaining to my mom that Pokemon Gold wouldn't work on my Gameboy Pocket and I needed a Gameboy Color and then having to do the same thing again when Gameboy Advance was released 1 year later. It wasn't that hard.
A few pages back but just a note, Pokemon Gold does work on a Gameboy Pocket. :p

Because the 2DS name isn't going to confuse consumers, is it Nintendo?

Honestly though, that's one really odd design - looks horribly cheap.

If it's one touch screen I hope developers aren't going to take advantage of the upper portion for touch. I don't want them fucking with the games I'll be playing on my 3ds.

c0de

Say hello to this ugly piece of hardware:
Wii-Mini_DVD.jpg

iammeiam

AR is not dependent on having 2 cameras.
As seen in so many other devices with AR functions and single cameras.

But the 3DS games are--the 2DS seems to play everything the 3DS can, so it'd make sense to give it the same general input hardware to prevent 3DS AR games expecting two cameras freaking out.

MisterHero

Those kids are already 'bought in' or planned to buy in anyways. This device will do very little to sway those people in regards to their (future) choice.

People point to it's price point, but once a parent realizes they have to buy a carrying case (30 dollars?) and it's on a shelf next to a 3DS or XL that has a pack-in game (most likely) .. it's going to be a no-brainer for the value-minded parent which way they want to go. The 3DSXL could have been had for 169 dollars last Christmas with Mario Kart packed in. I would imagine some deal similar this year.

-- // --

Next year, when we have a thread that is laughing at how pathetic this thing has sold, I'm sure all the proponents will roll out the tired excuse that it just 'wasn't marketed well enough', instead of admitting that it's a shitty idea that has no market.
Making 3DSxl $169 doesn't change the fact that people don't want to pay over a certain pricepoint. And that's without the 3DSxl's charger. Dropping the price just makes it less profitable.

Like people are saying, the classic model is still available, so there's a middle choice. 2DS is just an extreme budget option.

jmls1121

Banned
AR is not dependent on having 2 cameras.
As seen in so many other devices with AR functions and single cameras.

Its a budget console. If Nintendo's AR programs depend on the two cameras, perhaps they didn't want to spend the money to update the programs.

VinLAURiA

Banned
This was a mistake.

This was a major mistake.

Because you know what this says to all the gimmick-criers out there? The ones who opposed touch, motion, 3D, and the GamePad all since day-one but would never have bought a Nintendo system anyway even with those features removed? This says: "Nintendo will listen to you." This is giving them what they want. This lets them say: "Now with what sets Nintendo systems apart gone, nothing sets them apart! And thus our preferred brand is superior now that we've ripped out everything unique about our competition! Nintendo should totally go third-party so that their games can be on our systems so we have another advantage to circlejerk about in our never-ending console war with the other HD Twin company."

Destructive feedback at its apex. Right here.

SmokyDave

I don't think the name is too confusing as far as the system goes. It's a 2D 3DS. 2DS. The xDS family, successors to the DSx family. It's the software branding for older titles that is confusing, but it only takes a second to say 'it plays all of 'em'.

No, it's just cost-cutting. Nintendo couldn't give a shit what people say.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Its a budget console. If Nintendo's AR programs depend on the two cameras, perhaps they didn't want to spend the money to update the programs.

That's not what i meant.
2 cameras are not required for AR, but to simply keep compatibility with apps and games, keeping the 2 cameras was the best choice.

But the 3DS games are--the 2DS seems to play everything the 3DS can, so it'd make sense to give it the same general input hardware to prevent 3DS AR games expecting two cameras freaking out.

Yes, that is what I mean.

Cutebrute

so the expensive 3d stuff was tossed along with other things that would have increased the cost of the device. oddly, it comes with a 4gb card, which kinda flies against making something for kids. i can't imagine too much downloadin' going on there.

The 4gb card pack-in confused me for a second as well. I will venture a guess and say that Nintendo has left over 4gb cards as part of their contract for 3ds XL production and they will use them here. That's the only reason I can think of for them to use the 4gb card over a 2gb.

joesiv

it is a strange looking beast... though I'll bet it's built like a tank (for their target market), Hindges always seemed like the weakest link on the DS/DSLite.

jmls1121

Banned
The 4gb card pack-in confused me for a second as well. I will venture a guess and say that Nintendo has left over 4gb cards as part of their contract for 3ds XL production and they will use them here. That's the only reason I can think of for them to use the 4gb card over a 2gb.

I agree. There is no other reason I can think of.

And it appears this thing has the XL battery in it. It is only worse battery because you cannot use power saving mode. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Ikael

This was a mistake.

This was a major mistake.

Because you know what this says to all the gimmick-criers out there? The ones who opposed touch, motion, 3D, and the GamePad all since day-one but would never have bought a Nintendo system anyway even with those features removed? This says: "Nintendo will listen to you." This is giving them what they want. This lets them say: "Now with what sets Nintendo systems apart gone, nothing sets them apart! And thus our preferred brand is superior now that we've ripped out everything unique about our competition! Nintendo should totally go third-party so that their games can be on our systems so we have another advantage to circlejerk about in our never-ending console war with the other HD Twin company."

Quoting for máximum truthfact power. The only thing that would justify such a move would be a truthly mass market price, not a measly 30 USD discount. WTF, Nintendo?

Meesh

I get this is directed at a younger audience, but if the 2ds sported one big multi touch screen instead of 2, that woulda blew my mind and my wallet.

My daughter wants a 3DSXL for her 7th birthday.
I hadn't realized they were still so expensive.

She won't use 3D & luckily she really likes the look of the red & white 2DS.

This is good, the price is right.

Top Bottom