• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS: Lighter than XL, worse battery, mono speaker, screens same size as 3DS

turnbuckle

I, uh, I love my 3DS. I was waiting around for a new version of an XL with hopefully better screens and battery life before upgrading to that model theoretical model that doesn't exist.

I wouldn't buy this new model even if it were $100. I wonder if this is one of those situations where Nintendo is completely right on the money and everyone else is wrong, but this isn't 2004-2005 DS/Wii era Nintendo anymore.

This is even more of a WTF who would want to buy this than the Wii U. Seriously. Even the name "2DS" sounds like a downgrade simply because of it having one less number. Of course it means that it's 2D only instead of 3D, but that could easily be lost on people.

Especially when they go to buy games that say "3DS" on the box and they wonder if it'll work on their new shitty 2DS.

Garbage, absolute garbage.

It's just so ugly! However, eliminating the hinge does appear to have allowed them to place the screens really close together. Probably the only good thing about this device. Too bad it's missing a 3D screen!

magnetic

People keep saying this but it makes no sense. There is more to a tablet than the silhouette. The shape is a consequence of the real reason people like tablets which is the giant continuous screen.

Yeah, really, I don't understand why people keep bringing up tablets either, especially as something that will lure consumers in. "Wow, that thing made out of plastic with the one screen and the smaller screen below it and all the buttons on the front, is that the new iPad?"

Interfectum

Posted in the other thread.

image_60348_thumb_wide930.jpg

That thing looks like a piece of junk.

Somnid

I love people trying to be Nintendo apologists in this thread.

Basically Nintendo sat down to make a 'tablet' but do it at the lowest cost possible. So they completely re-used parts they already have in production and tried to pass it off as something new or needed.

From an ergonomic perspective, I don't see how this is more comfortable or useable for a 5-7 year old's hands compared to the the regular 3DS. Not to mention the issue of the screen being scratch because it can't be folded. So, now you have to shell out even MORE money (as a parent) to protect the thing when not in use.

That's an, uh, interesting theory.

LProtag

I don't really play many games on my 3DS, so I wouldn't have minded getting this.

I even said before I got mine a few months ago, "I wish they made a cheaper version without 3D". Oh well.

tuffy

People keep saying this but it makes no sense. There is more to a tablet than the silhouette. The shape is a consequence of the real reason people like tablets which is the giant continuous screen.
One giant continuous screen is probably where they're going for the 4DS (or whatever). Add another circle pad on the right, shift the buttons down, take out the bezels and make the whole screen touch-sensitive. That takes care of backwards-compatibility and transitions to something that's easier to engineer.

OmegaFax

The analog/button positioning here says to me they clearly are de-emphasizing the second screen, probably just keeping it for legacy reasons. I doubt the next Nintendo handheld will have two screens.

There's too much empty space and button placement is too high. There's going to some ergonomic issues when a hand, (big or small), has to reach down in Ocarina of Time 3D to tap a selection on the bottom screen. There's no reason why they moved the Start/Select and but left the Home button alone at the bottom.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The idiotic thing is the lack of clamshell which is the best thing for kids. They should have made a smaller 3DS lite without an sd slot with better battery and no 3D for 129

I agree, except for the SD slot. My kids need Pushmo ;) Maybe a bit sturdier too.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nintendo should allow retail games to be 2D-only if desired. It frees up power for better graphics and could allow for less headaches for smaller devs, who knows, could open up even more support.

It's not a requirement.
There was one launch title game that was going to be 2D only, but changed last minute I believe.
And the recently announced RCR port won't have 3D for the main game mode.

KoopaTheCasual

The sad part is that it'll probably sell well solely due to the price point, even with all the shortcomings on design, reinforcing this poorly designed console as an aesthetic and functional unit that "people really love".

MisterHero

I love people trying to be Nintendo apologists in this thread.

Basically Nintendo sat down to make a 'tablet' but do it at the lowest cost possible. So their solution was to completely reuse parts they already have in production and tried to pass it off as something new or needed.

From an ergonomic perspective, I don't see how this is more comfortable or useable for a 5-7 year old's hands compared to the the regular 3DS. Not to mention the issue of the screen being easily scratched because it can't be folded. So, now you have to shell out even MORE money (as a parent) to protect the thing when not in use.
It's almost as if they wanted to make a cheaper version. OH SHIT

KarmaCow

That's why hardware like this exists though - because lots of parents are ignorant/don't care about the finer details.

The biggest selling point to parents with kids will be the price. The other stuff is just cake.

Why not?
Oh I'm sure this will sell more than few on price alone but are those parents who only care about that $30 difference really some huge untapped market that hasn't been satisfied by other cheaper alternatives? This just seems shortsighted but I'm probably missing something.

emag

That can't be right. They should have different resolutions

Resolution isn't an issue, as the plastic covers up the extra pixels/screen space. Both "screens" have the same pixel density (DPI) on all 3DS/2DS models, so that's not an issue either.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ugh that look like one of them fan made snes/genny portable monstrosities. 3d out, what's next a wii u with out the pad...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Although the resolutions are different, the DPI is the same (or very similar). So it wouldn't be hard to partition off the unused bits with a bezel.

They'd have to be exactly the same, which is true.

Resolution isn't an issue, as the plastic covers up the extra pixels/screen space. Both "screens" have the same pixel density (DPI) on all 3DS/2DS models, so that's not an issue either.

Ah, my bad. I didn't realize it was the same DPI on both originally.
In which case yeah, doesn't matter.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm loving this and funny enough the Nintendo 2DS will actually be my first Nintendo handheld ...fuck clamshells and fuck 3d! This is awesomeeeeeeee

If I was a kid and I wanted 3DS for christmas and my parents came home with a 2DS I'd be furious! Atleast it still plays pokemon though. I think?

Design-wise, why would it not have a single screen if it's only one piece? You're wasting plastic on a divider, wasting empty screen on a mask and adding places for dirt to get lodged.

Then it's not a DS. Make those changes and you're crafting an entirely new handheld, not just a revision.

KarmaCow

Gameboy lines before the GBA SP did pretty well with kids without clamshell?
Gameboys were bricks with relatively tiny non-resistive touch screens.

At the same time kids and some people don't care too much about scratches. I see tons if people using cracked phones as weird as it looks.

ToxicAdam

It's almost as if they wanted to make a cheaper version. OH SHIT

But it's still not cheap enough.

You can get refurbed Ipod Touches and Leap pads for cheaper prices and with access to way more educational software and games a lower price points. As a parent, there is nothing this device offers that would convince me to buy it over a competitors product or the regular 3DS.

So, it's a complete waste of their resources/shelf space and only serves to confuse the consumer more.

FyreWulff

Design-wise, why would it not have a single screen if it's only one piece? You're wasting plastic on a divider, wasting empty screen on a mask and adding places for dirt to get lodged.

developers would account for the gap in art for games that have scenes that span both screens. It would look like a permanent screen tear

I know quite a few parents who have said they wouldn't buy their kids a 3DS because they were worried about the 3D (yes, you can lock it with parental controls, but parents either don't know how or feel their kids are better with technology and will turn it on). Pretty sure Nintendo discovered this in their research as well. Plus there's been a 3D backlash in general. I'll bet this sells decently.

Dat form factor though, wow. Not sure what to think until I see one in the wild, but it looks awkward. The mono sound is a joke.

How hideous. What is the point? You can turn off the 3D on a normal 3DS via parental controls right? So what is the point of this besides sitting around looking ugly?

comadorcrack

Neo Member
ITT: Gaf doesn't understand who the 2DS is targeted at

This is perfect for my 6 y/o nephew.

That said the name will cause problems for some of the dumber consumers

Top Bottom