• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS: Lighter than XL, worse battery, mono speaker, screens same size as 3DS

It seems like Nintendo really misjudged the Avatar hype as 3D hype.

Probably, but it's more likely that since this is for younger kids they scrapped the 3D because of the dangers to young eyes. the 3DS has all types of warnings about it and Nintendo themselves flat out don't recommend anyone under 6 plays one with 3D on.

-Horizon-

I was just being funny; I don't think it will be a problem at all.

...but some of them, probably. :(

As long as we get store employees who can patiently explain "this is a Nintendo handheld. It plays regular DS games as well as 3DS games. It is called the 2DS because it doesn't have 3D like the regular 3DS handheld. It is also cheaper."

FZZ

Banned
Btw i feel vindicated for thinking they were planning a revision to hit that FY forecast

You did good metalslimer, you did good. Now they have a chance, a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless to hit their FY goal with this revision hitting the same time as Pokémon and with the Wii U price drop.

KarmaCow

You're referring to a demographic that by and large had Nintendo's product offerings muddled by the letter 'U'
Well the Wii U minus the gamepad looks like a Wii so it's understandable if people browsing thought it was an addon.
This thing looks completely different.

javac

Oddly enough my gba and gbc are still in pretty damn good shape. Maybe a few tiny hairline scratches on the screen at most.

Nintendo built quality.

True true. It's been a while since I've played with a non clamshell Nintendo handheld but now that I think about it they are very robust. Dat Nintendium I guess!

Where did Nintendo get the idea that a battery life of three and a half hours is acceptable? It's the same number for the Wii U gamepad and now all the 3DSes. They must specifically design the hardware to that exact number.

Duxxy3

But the screens are now exposed to the elements :p

Yeah, but you can't return a 2DS to the store or to nintendo if the screen gets scratched by the elements. That's entirely your fault.

A 3DS scratching itself just by being closed... yep, that should be returned.

lol wtf, who is this for? Who has an XL or a regular 3DS and thought "Man, I wish I didn't have the option for 3D" ? This would need to be significantly cheaper to maybe justify opting for it.

Also, I hope this isn't indicative of Nitnendo's focus shifting away from providing 3D games for XL down the line.

18-Volt

I hope Sony will follow this, Vita needs more userbase to attract 3rd party developers. A clamshell smaller screen Vita would be nice (no slider this time pls).

AniHawk

Probably, but it's more likely that since this is for younger kids they scrapped the 3D because of the dangers to young eyes. the 3DS has all types of warnings about it and Nintendo themselves flat out don't recommend anyone under 6 plays one with 3D on.

also, everything about this system screams CHEAP. nintendo wanted a very very inexpensive version of the system for them to profit from by tapping into the western audience. it's not necessary in japan, but sales in america have sucked for most of the system's life. rushing nsmb2 into existence, pushing pokemon gen 6 for a worldwide release, and this little thing is no coincidence. they really want to recapture the glory days (at least gba if not gb/c and ds) of the handheld market in america.

so the expensive 3d stuff was tossed along with other things that would have increased the cost of the device. oddly, it comes with a 4gb card, which kinda flies against making something for kids. i can't imagine too much downloadin' going on there.

Airgetlam

It seems like this is meant to target kids that just want a 3DS to play Pokemon X, Y. The price point will make it appealing to a lot of parents when compared to the other options. Plus it's the same shade of red and blue like the X, Y logos. Coincidence? Yes. Most likely. Lol.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
lol wtf, who is this for? Who has an XL or a regular 3DS and thought "Man, I wish I didn't have the option for 3D" ? This would need to be significantly cheaper to maybe justify opting for it.

Also, I hope this isn't indicative of Nitnendo's focus shifting away from providing 3D games for XL down the line.

Kids under 7.

I am a father myself, and while I know you can disable 3D in system settings, not all parents I know know this. Some have been concerned about upgrading from DS -> 3DS for their kids since it says on the package that stereoscopic 3D vision is harmful for children under 7.

KarmaCow

Perhaps I'm too cynical but with parents buying 9 year olds CoD I don't think the warning is what was the barrier for parents buying the console. I know it's not completely analogous but I don't have faith that parents are that conciuous about these things.

javac

Yeah, but you can't return a 2DS to the store or to nintendo if the screen gets scratched by the elements. That's entirely your fault.

A 3DS scratching itself just by being closed... yep, that should be returned.

Yup I agree. Just have horrible images of Mums popping this in a handbag full of keys :p

Losing the folds makes the dual screens look... stupid. It looks awkward and confusing now. You almost want to think, well why didn't they just combine them into one big screen instead of jarringly splitting them in two?

And if this is babby's first handheld, why the fuck would they remove the only function that protects it from the wrath of children, crayons, spit, and impacts? To top off the carnival of confusion is the "2" in the hardware's name; implying that this is a regression in hardware from the 3DS generation. This has the potential to backfire worse than the WiiU being misinterpreted as an accessory.

MercuryLS

Banned
What a terrible looking family...

It's like a family of various sized:

goonies-musical.jpg

I wish Nintendo would leave the hardware business. They make nothing but crap.

GeekyDad

Yeah, that's not gonna happen for me. I can deal with a battery system on par with the original 3DS, but mono sound? Hell nah!

Mlatador

Banned
$129 is low enough to persuade the uneducated into a purchase. Functionality and usability comes at a cost so upgrade your wallet if you wish.

It has the same "functionality" as the other versions - what are you talking about?

It's "usability" is probably be improved over the OG 3DS, but that needs to be decided once people/reviewers lay their hands on it.

JoeM86

Nintendo should allow retail games to be 2D-only if desired. It frees up power for better graphics and could allow for less headaches for smaller devs, who knows, could open up even more support.

Seems like they may do. Heck, the demoes for Pokémon X & Y had a lack of stereoscopic 3D in the overworld

No game is really required to have 3D - there are a few games which disable it for one reason or another.

Also, SD cards are ridiculously cheap by now, no reason to cut them out especially with digital games.

Kids under 7.

I am a father myself, and while I know you can disable 3D in system settings, not all parents I know know this. Some have been concerned about upgrading from DS -> 3DS for their kids since it says on the package that stereoscopic 3D vision is harmful for children under 7.

Fair enough. I just can't get over that lack-of-fold thing haha. Reminds me of a massive, fat, face without a neck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
image_60348_thumb_wide930.jpg

The analog/button positioning here says to me they clearly are de-emphasizing the second screen, probably just keeping it for legacy reasons. I doubt the next Nintendo handheld will have two screens.

Top Bottom