• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2DS: Lighter than XL, worse battery, mono speaker, screens same size as 3DS

LuchaShaq

Banned
I feel so vindicated. Since the 3ds launched I said I wanted one cheaper with shit 3d ripped out. People called me insane/trolling that it would never exist. I ended up getting a 3ds as a gift, and think the design of this is shit, but fuck it I was right *middle fingers*

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
YESSSSSS!!!! I HATE clamshell systems and REFUSED to buy one now after almost ten years I can own a DS SYSTEM!!!!! and they got rid of stupid 3D!!!!
It's like this system was made with me in mind!

http://medialib.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/screens/dir_603/image_60348_thumb_wide930.jpg[img]

The analog/button positioning here says to me they clearly are de-emphasizing the second screen, probably just keeping it for legacy reasons. I doubt the next Nintendo handheld will have two screens.[/QUOTE]
It just says to me that they want to keep the triggers on the top without adding any bulk on the back, keeping it a slate-like flat surface.

MDX

Why the outrage?
Do you really think this device is going to sink the company?
Its not, it might even put more money in their coffers.
This is probably the reason Iwata thinks they could hit their
financial targets.

or

Do you think its replacing the 3DS.
Its not.

And for those of you who dont like 3D on the 3DS, dont turn on the 3D.

By the looks of it, this device is not about portability, but playing for long
periods of time. It looks comfortable to hold and sturdy.

javac

It's amazing Nintendo is wasting their time with this shit instead of trying to save the wii u

Because they didn't drop the price and announce bundles and release dates for games or anything of the kind. No no no that's absolutely preposterous!

I wonder if you guys were so vocal at the release of the DS lite, DSi, and DSi XL. I'd imagine not though. It's pretty in vogue to shit on Nintendo for any reason these days.

To be honest those 3 were pretty reasonable. They where different versions of the DS. The 3DS however caused mucho confusion due to not being named DS2 or Super DS. I remember sitting down on Borders and hearing the kids and parents read on the Nintendo magazines. The kids asking what's a 3DS? And the mothers saying "you already have a DS sweetheart is the same thing".

It would be akin to Nintendo releasing the Nintendo 32 in their era.

The idiotic thing is the lack of clamshell which is the best thing for kids. They should have made a smaller 3DS lite without an sd slot with better battery and no 3D for 129

image_60348_thumb_wide930.jpg

The analog/button positioning here says to me they clearly are de-emphasizing the second screen, probably just keeping it for legacy reasons. I doubt the next Nintendo handheld will have two screens.

this pic makes me understand why the thing is wedge shaped.

otherwise the weight would be funk.

Weilthain

Banned
nobody, i mean NOBODY would have guessed the 2DS would come in that shape

its almost so bad its good...i kinda want one especially as my 3ds Xl and regular were stolen recently and I dont want to shell out for them again.

I don't have any interest in it for playing myself, but it might be useful a few years down the road for road trips and child silencing.

Less than thrilled about the no folding part...I wonder what guided their choice to kill the clamshell.

Yawnier

Banned
I can really see this somewhat confusing parents, gamers who aren't in the know (particularly young ones), and the like when they see this handheld named the "Nintendo 2DS" and you have game boxes beside it that have "Nintendo 3DS" on the front of them. Its a question that can easily be answered or clarified by a worker who knows what they are talking about, but I still can see this causing some degree of confusion come October.

I feel sorry for video game store clerks come this fall.

SuperJay

This is a Pokemon machine meant for really little kids. Don't forget, it would be irresponsible for Nintendo to market a 3D console to a younger market because 3D can screw up developing eyes.

Still, I would have preferred a more mass market friendly design. I can't see 3D and would have liked an XL design priced cheaper without 3D. Oh well.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I can't believe this is real. It reminds me of a Chinese knockoff or one of those cheap laptops African kids get from aid organizations.

Nintendo really, REALLY want to pressure people to use that Goddamn stylus. That... thing... does not look like it's easy to touch the screen with your thumb, and that's if you're an adult.

Stet

Banned
I don't have any interest in it for playing myself, but it might be useful a few years down the road for road trips and child silencing.

Less than thrilled about the no folding part...I wonder what guided their choice to kill the clamshell.

Hinges are the natural weakpoint of any two-sided system. It's why cellphones have more or less entirely phased them out. Nintendo expects these things (for kids under 7) to take a beating.

Unfortunately, when you have a system that depends on two screens, it doesn't make sense for the system to be one piece.

Perhaps I'm too cynical but with parents buying 9 year olds CoD I don't think the warning is what was the barrier for parents buying the console. I know it's not completely analogous but I don't have faith that parents are that conciuous about these things.

That's why hardware like this exists though - because lots of parents are ignorant/don't care about the finer details.

The biggest selling point to parents with kids will be the price. The other stuff is just cake.

Unfortunately, when you have a system that depends on two screens, it doesn't make sense for the system to be one piece.

Why not?

Not really understanding the confusion issue people are claiming. I mean, it's a budget 2d version of the 3DS. They couldn't have kept 3DS in the name seeing as it doesn't do 3d. That would have been more confusing.

ToxicAdam

I love people trying to be Nintendo apologists in this thread.

Basically Nintendo sat down to make a 'tablet' but do it at the lowest cost possible. So their solution was to completely reuse parts they already have in production and tried to pass it off as something new or needed.

From an ergonomic perspective, I don't see how this is more comfortable or useable for a 5-7 year old's hands compared to the the regular 3DS. Not to mention the issue of the screen being easily scratched because it can't be folded. So, now you have to shell out even MORE money (as a parent) to protect the thing when not in use.

Top Bottom