• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Munin said:
So can anyone tell me how you can actually create 3D without glasses? Why wouldnt every cinema, TV manufacturer, etc do it the Nintendo way if it was so easy?

IIRC Philips was developing a TV that had a gazillion tiny cones instead of a flat screen, creating the 3D effect without glasses. A local themepark (Efteling) has 3DTVs with this tech hanging along the waitingline for one of it's attractions. It's really not new, it's just v expensive, so I'm curious whether this is true and what this little thing must cost.

KevinCow

Banned
Dizzan said:
The problem with E3 this year will be that nobody can actually see the 3d effect except those sitting tight in front of it. It's difficult to market aswell.

It's Nintendo. They managed to sell the Wii. Do you know what people playing the Wii looked like? They managed to show people what it looks like to play the Wii, and get them to buy one by doing so.

BowieZ

Banned
A few of the early promotional images appear to have leaked

24g68o7.png

71mbs2.png

OneEightZero said:
The first post of a thread is a fantastic thing. ^_^
OP is kind of ambiguous really, new 'handheld hardware' could easily be interpreted as a new iteration.
Vinterbird said:
New hardware, new platform. This is the DS 2 / DS Next / 3DS. Not just a re-hash of the old DS with a gimmick.
Thank fuck, as much as I love my DSlite the 3D is fucking awful. I hope the rumours about it having GC quality graphics is true. That and screens that are the size of the XL plz but no scaling and I'll be happy.

Durante

SamBishop said:
Yeah, if anything this just throws a serious two-pronged advancement of 3D tech into homes, and I am absolutely ecstatic about the possibilities. It's pretty rare that you can actually witness the birth of a big shift in how media is presented, but we're actually right on the doorstep now. If Sony pushing it from the content creation side all the way down to the equipment needed to view it all properly and Nintendo riding the biggest wave of success they've ever enjoyed can't make it happen, we'll probably have to wait for holography to become real.
I agree 100%. This is really awesome.

Now I just hope they went with a minimally crippled Tegra 2.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Question:

Has lithium batteries evolved at the speed of everything else? As much as this tech excites me, I will be incredibly disappointed if i dont get at least 8 hours of pure playtime on one charge.

Considering it's a handheld, I would be shocked if it didn't get 8+ hours per charge.

Part of the reason Nintendo annihilates competitors in the handheld space is because they understand what is important about handhelds -- and battery life is absolutely key.

Of course it could end up being less than 8 hours, but like I said I would be surprised and it would be a big change considering Nintendo's history in this space.

Also, I'm dying to see what JRPG developers are going to come up with.

Just thinking about the battles with real-time 3D magic effects sounds amazing!

And forget HD towns, I want to see 3D towns! :lol

KevinCow said:
It's Nintendo. They managed to sell the Wii. Do you know what people playing the Wii looked like? They managed to show people what it looks like to play the Wii, and get them to buy one by doing so.

This is what demo units are for. I remember a LONG time ago when the N64 was about to hit and i remember walking into ToysRus and they had multiple demo units for the N64 set up.

norinrad

Wow I'm glad i didn't get a new DS when my old one broke down. I can certainly wait and will continue to buy DS games in preparation of this new 3DS:D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
neorej said:
IIRC Philips was developing a TV that had a gazillion tiny cones instead of a flat screen, creating the 3D effect without glasses. A local themepark (Efteling) has 3DTVs with this tech hanging along the waitingline for one of it's attractions. It's really not new, it's just v expensive, so I'm curious whether this is true and what this little thing must cost.
Are you accusing Nintendo of lying on their official investor relations website? o_O

trinest

Norwegian Wood said:
Wow I'm glad i didn't get a new DS when my old one broke down. I can certainly wait and will continue to buy DS games in preparation of this new 3DS:D
I didn't jump onto a DSi yet, was going to but now I'm not going to bother- but there is a few things I want to check out on the system though.

celebi23

Holymotherfuckingshit at a portable 3D system (about as powerful as the GameCube) without the need for glasses AND backwards compatibility???? :D Gunpei redeemed? :D

kassatsu said:
Glad I still only have a phat DS. My patience has paid off.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Seems like my old DS phat will have to life a few months more(or maybe even years if the price is too high!))! Long live to my DS phat!! :lol

Same here guys. Got it sitting right next to me. My good old launch DSPhat :lol I'm just hoping that the speakers will hold out until Spring 2011 :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
mooooose said:
This is where all that R&D money went like two years ago. GODDAMMIT NINTENDO. WHY'D YOU TRICK ME INTO GETTING A DSi. IT'S SO PERFECT. I WAS SURE THAT WE'D AVOID THIS MOMENT.
You only have yourself to blame.

Opus Angelorum said:
Does anyone else think this will be a single screen, or will they stick with the DS tradition?

All the scuttlebutt at GDC said that there are two vertical screens but with very little space between them.

quetz67

Banned
Munin said:
So can anyone tell me how you can actually create 3D without glasses? Why wouldnt every cinema, TV manufacturer, etc do it the Nintendo way if it was so easy?
First multiply the price for the Nintendo screen by the factor in size a movie theatre screen has (like 1.000.000 or so).

But thats not the real problem. New Nintendo is single user, the viewing angle is pretty narrow. TV and Movie theathre is multi-viewer and the angle is wide.

The trick is to send two different pictures to the two eyes by blocking the view for the other eyes (meaning limiting both views to a certain angle). That's not really possible if you have 4 eyes or hundrets of eyes you need to address.

Suzzopher

So the theme of E3 this year will 3D? Sony should be pimping 3D gaming in the living room whilst Nintendo show of 3D gaming on the move. I am very excited about E3 now.

i do wonder what tech this uses, though. i imagine it'll be like that fujitsu 3D camera, which isn't all that stunning, though it does look cool if you catch it properly (and i think it'll probably be easier to do that with videogames).

still, expect to buy the 3DS lite with screens that work properly a year down the line.

john tv

Gamer @ Heart said:
All the scuttlebutt at GDC said that there are two vertical screens but with very little space between them.
If it's backwards compatible I don't see how it could be two vertical screens. Unless you meant to say horizontal?

Still waiting for someone to make the definitive 3D version of the "It prints money" GIF... :)

timetokill said:
Considering it's a handheld, I would be shocked if it didn't get 8+ hours per charge.

Part of the reason Nintendo annihilates competitors in the handheld space is because they understand what is important about handhelds -- and battery life is absolutely key.

Of course it could end up being less than 8 hours, but like I said I would be surprised and it would be a big change considering Nintendo's history in this space.

I really hope they stick with DS-esque battery life (or longer!). I love my PSP but the pathetic battery life just kills it for me. I'm a guy who reloads after firing one shot in FPSes and I hate seeing "Battery: 71%" after an hour of playing.

SamBishop

Banned
gofreak said:
Nintendo isn't dumb, they see how excited kids are about 3D in the cinema. If the handheld space explodes with 3D it'll only hasten adoption 'in the middle', in the living room. Speaking of Sony, I'd say they're delighted...it's a big help to 'the cause' of 3D to get Nintendo on side in the handheld space.

Oh, I'm sure Sony is thrilled. At this point it's not like they were fighting an uphill battle all by their lonesome, but the sooner there's a sort of cross-market acceptance of it as a standard outside of what the TV or even camera makers are pushing, the better. More 3D content is what's going to really help it become commonplace, and with everything from motion to still cameras, TVs and now multiple game systems offering some version of the tech...

Fuck I love the age we live in. Even if it completely implodes (which is growing increasingly unlikely), for a few glorious years I'll feel like I'm living in the future. Imagine what people in the 50s would think of where we are now. Not flying cars, no, but we've got some pretty dope looking robots and now the tee vee screen that opened a portal to other worlds is actually going to seem that much more like an actual portal.

What a great way to end the night.

GDGF

Soothsayer
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
And forget HD towns, I want to see 3D towns! :lol

:lol hell yes. I have a feeling that this is going to be the best hardware Nintendo has ever created. It's coming off the back of the freaking DS (so we should see a NES to SNES or PS1 to PS2 transition level of support and software maturity) PLUS it's in freaking 3D, so we're going to get a SNES to N64 transition level of OMFG next generation visual presentation.

Enjoy it, people. The only gaming frontiers left after this are thought control and holodeck technology :lol

jdforge

Banned
Loving this thread! Logged in as usual as I arrived to my desk @ 8am with a cup of coffee. I'm almost caught up with the GAF hype, but back to page 16 I go!!

john tv said:
If it's backwards compatible I don't see how it could be two vertical screens. Unless you meant to say horizontal?

Still waiting for someone to make the definitive 3D version of the "It prints money" GIF... :)

I meant vertical as in one on top of the other like the current DS

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SamBishop said:
Oh, I'm sure Sony is thrilled. At this point it's not like they were fighting an uphill battle all by their lonesome, but the sooner there's a sort of cross-market acceptance of it as a standard outside of what the TV or even camera makers are pushing, the better. More 3D content is what's going to really help it become commonplace, and with everything from motion to still cameras, TVs and now multiple game systems offering some version of the tech...

Fuck I love the age we live in. Even if it completely implodes (which is growing increasingly unlikely), for a few glorious years I'll feel like I'm living in the future. Imagine what people in the 50s would think of where we are now. Not flying cars, no, but we've got some pretty dope looking robots and now that TV that opened a portal to other worlds is actually going to seem that much more like an actual portal.

What a great way to end the night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

No this is :D

GLORIOUS 3D HEADTRACKING TECH USING THE CAMERA.

3D IN 3D.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

mrWalrus

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing what the system is capable of, but I remain firm on my stance of 'why do I need to see things in 3D, again?' I keep waiting for moment when someone is going to come out and say 'Surprise! we're just joking with all the 3D stuff we're shoving in your face.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom