• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a bigger more guaranteed system seller than an enhanced port of SSBM and a launch title? That is seriously all i can fucking thin about since i heard this. With non broken online maybe......jesus.

Rpgmonkey

Interesting I guess. Don't care about the 3D, but a new handheld is usually always interesting.

I'll probably wait for a revised version and pick one up.

Instro

And now I will go to bed and dream about the possibilities. Good thing I never upgraded from my fat DS right guys?:lol

hamchan

So it does certainly look like we're going the route of:

3D > VR > Matrix > Viruses uploaded into people's minds > Destruction of Mankind.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gamer @ Heart said:
Is there a bigger more guaranteed system seller than an enhanced port of SSBM and a launch title? That is seriously all i can fucking thin about since i heard this. With non broken online maybe......jesus.

Dude, Pokémon 5.

Actually I'm thinking DQX could be moved/ported to this.

SamBishop

Banned
gofreak said:
:lol Why not?

In terms of 'copying', the company's already jumped head first into 3D across its range of products. 3D tech in the next PSP would simply be obvious. It would take a special breed to think Sony's 'copying' Nintendo when Sony as a whole, from tip to toe, has already long announced its commitment to 3D products in pretty much everything it does that involves imagery.

But really, 3D is obvious. It's the obvious next step for everyone. It should not have taken Nintendo embracing it for people to realise that. But in gaming terms now, only Microsoft seems to be stalling on it, although I doubt for very long.

Yeah, if anything this just throws a serious two-pronged advancement of 3D tech into homes, and I am absolutely ecstatic about the possibilities. It's pretty rare that you can actually witness the birth of a big shift in how media is presented, but we're actually right on the doorstep now. If Sony pushing it from the content creation side all the way down to the equipment needed to view it all properly and Nintendo riding the biggest wave of success they've ever enjoyed can't make it happen, we'll probably have to wait for holography to become real.

Hell, the surge of 3D could actually help get us there faster, which I'm all for.

KevinCow

Banned
Munin said:
So can anyone tell me how you can actually create 3D without glasses? Why wouldnt every cinema, TV manufacturer, etc do it the Nintendo way if it was so easy?

They're trying, but it has issues. In particular, you have to be in a certain orientation to the screen to use it, and it's hard to get to work for multiple people at once. Having it on a handheld fixes both of these issues; only one person will be playing at a time, and it's safe to assume that his face will always be directly in front of the screen, about a foot away.

Cep

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Interesting I guess. Don't care about the 3D, but a new handheld is usually always interesting.

I'll probably wait for a revised version and pick one up.

I like you, you are sane.

I'm seriously surprised by this. When I first saw the headline on Siliconera, I thought it was going to be an early AF Joke. When I then saw other sites alking about a press release and the GAF thread, I said "Damn"

Lots of potential for this. Can't wait for E3

Imagine if this is the hardware FFVII Remake will be on, ESPECIALLY if it is indeed a real step up in hardware.

I'd rather have FFV and VI on this baby

Instro

yurinka said:
Great news. So this would no Ninty fanboys trolling the 3D saying it's a gimmick :)

People still think 3D is a gimmick? Then again motion controls were called a gimmick for years so it makes sense I guess.

Regulus Tera said:
Dude, Pokémon 5.

Actually I'm thinking DQX could be moved/ported to this.

I dont know man. Years of work must have already been poured into the will version, releasing it on a brand new system within its first year seems risk for such a huge series.

As much as the stars seem to be aligning with pokemon 5 going to the 3DS, they would be leaving money on the table just ignoring the fucking giant DS install base.

I have to say that I have been pretty much against the direction Nintendo went with the Wii in regards to motion control, and following their shift towards the casual/mass market I believed that Nintendo would no longer be on my radar when it came to future developments.

This news, however has really grabbed my attention. The rumour of the DS successor using Tegra and now this 3D display technology, this is a move in consumer electronics I can get behind.

I just hope for equal energy to be applied to both hardcore and casual games development rather than a casual development bias.

If that happens, count me in!!

upandaway

We have no information for whether the 3D will pop outside of the screen, or whether it will be inside the DS itself.

It'll be far more effective if it's outside, but it'll be easier to pull off the other way around.

I should be doing hw said:
So new hardware or is it just a screen upgrade? I'm not reading through an entire thread of "wow" and gifs for the info.
If its new hardware then fuck yes, if not then fuck off.

New hardware, new platform. This is the DS 2 / DS Next / 3DS. Not just a re-hash of the old DS with a gimmick.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I should be doing hw said:
So new hardware or is it just a screen upgrade? I'm not reading through an entire thread of "wow" and gifs for the info.
If its new hardware then fuck yes, if not then fuck off.

The first post of a thread is a fantastic thing. ^_^

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SamBishop said:
Yeah, if anything this just throws a serious two-pronged advancement of 3D tech into homes, and I am absolutely ecstatic about the possibilities. It's pretty rare that you can actually witness the birth of a big shift in how media is presented, but we're actually right on the doorstep now. If Sony pushing it from the content creation side all the way down to the equipment needed to view it all properly and Nintendo riding the biggest wave of success they've ever enjoyed can't make it happen, we'll probably have to wait for holography to become real.

Hell, the surge of 3D could actually help get us there faster, which I'm all for.

Pretty much.

Nintendo isn't dumb, they see how excited kids are about 3D in the cinema. If the handheld space explodes with 3D it'll only hasten adoption 'in the middle', in the living room. Speaking of Sony, I'd say they're delighted...it's a big help to 'the cause' of 3D to get Nintendo on side in the handheld space.

Dizzan

MINI Member
The problem with E3 this year will be that nobody can actually see the 3d effect except those sitting right in front of it. It's difficult to market aswell.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gamer @ Heart said:
I dont know man. Years of work must have already been poured into the will version, releasing it on a brand new system within its first year seems risk for such a huge series.

As much as the stars seem to be aligning with pokemon 5 going to the 3DS, they would be leaving money on the table just ignoring the fucking giant DS install base.

After how fucking successful DQIX was, I'm willing to believe Squeenix would take the risk.

Also, if anything moves handhelds it will be a new Pokémon.

Buggy Loop

yurinka said:
Great news. So this would no Ninty fanboys trolling the 3D saying it's a gimmick :)

Having the display do the 3D without the need of glasses, and having a living room HDTV displaying 3D where everyone needs a pair of glasses in the room to see wtf its displaying is something entirely different. Im hesitating buying a 3D monitor + nvision because this tech is coming soon, not just DS, HDTVs too.

also it has to be completely new hardware, why would it mention its backward compatible with DSi & DS ?

mooooose

This is where all that R&D money went like two years ago. GODDAMMIT NINTENDO. WHY'D YOU TRICK ME INTO GETTING A DSi. IT'S SO PERFECT. I WAS SURE THAT WE'D AVOID THIS MOMENT.

upandaway said:
We have no information for whether the 3D will pop outside of the screen, or whether it will be inside the DS itself.

It'll be far more effective if it's outside, but it'll be easier to pull off the other way around.

I think it is pretty obvious that there are things still to be revealed about the 3DS that we will have to wait to find out in June but i will be there for it!

Question:

Has lithium batteries evolved at the speed of everything else? As much as this tech excites me, I will be incredibly disappointed if i dont get at least 8 hours of pure playtime on one charge.

trinest

VOOK said:
Nintendo Japan just cut the balls off the XL launch for the rest of the world :lol
Only the "hardcore" have noticed- and will have until e3 (if mainstream media makes news articles about the new DS)

Grooski

Banned
SamBishop said:

Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom